Matt's Fall 2015 nine-day adventure at the DLR.

As we made our way around the South side of Paradise Bay, we encountered Woody and Jessie... time for another pic..

DSC_5919%20(Large).jpg

Oh how I miss the boardwalk. I must say though on subsequent trips, this part of Paradise Pier (now Pixar Pier), was done tastefully even if it jumped the shark for DCA as a cohesive theme.

DSC_5922%20(Large).jpg

Opposite the Silly Symphony Swings, we found José Carioca, Donald Duck, and Panchito Pistoles sand his Pistoles... ah California...afraid of their own shadows.

DSC_5924%20(Large).jpg

On our way around the bay, back at the San Francisco Hub, we found Elastigirl.

DSC_5936%20(Large).jpg

We made our way North, by the Painted Ladies and the Eureka Gold and Timber Company Mill and found Dug and Russell right outside the entrance to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. As most of you who have read my TRs before know, I have a SERIOUS love for the USFS, the Pacific Northwest, and all National Forests which are Conifer. I seriously hope that this area of the park never disappears, but given the happenings at Disneyland, nothing good is safe form monetization these days.

DSC_5955%20(Large).jpg

We passed by Grizzly Peak and found ourselves by the newly repainted bush plane. I really dig it!! That being said, they should retrofit this particular prop with one sans wheel skirts and a high-clearance bush plane instead. This Cessna 195 was built by Jacobs Aircraft in the late-1940s. When this plane's original owner insisted that the Imagineering team also purchase the three spare Cessna engines he had. To restore it, they traded those engines to a firm in Oklahoma in exchange for a complete restoration of the plane. Still love this one though. Grizzly Peak Airfield is inspired by Disney's True-Life Adventure series (1948-1960), which I own on DVD and truly LOVE. You can see some posters from the series if you venture into Smokejumpers Grill..

DSC_5969%20(Large).jpg

We were turned off through the seldom-used exit. This used to be how you got into DCA back when they were creating BVS!

DSC_5970%20(Large).jpg

A MUCH different look now.

DSC_5971%20(Large).jpg

As we made our way towards the finish, we found Downtown Disney gated off into queues. One leaving, one coming. People were still flowing in at 9 AM!

DSC_5972%20(Large).jpg

Almost THERE!!

DSC_5975%20(Large).jpg

And at 9:10 we crossed the finish line.

DSC_5977%20(Large).jpg

Instead of heading back to the parking garages like most participants, we headed straight for our room, and the E-ticket lounge.

We got back to the Hotel about 9:20ish. First stop, E-ticket Lounge. Everybody replenished their energy.

DSC_5979%20(Large).jpg

The adults chose to have some champagne in celebration.

DSC_5983%20(Large).jpg

We decided that for the next couple of hours, we would just eat, drink, and relax in the room. Just before one, we took the elevator downstairs and grabbed a table for lunch. Charlotte was examining the Drink Menu pretty closely.

DSC_5989%20(Large).jpg

She took a lot of time explaining it to Victoria. Oh, if they only knew the goodness on it...

DSC_5992%20(Large).jpg

Shortly, our server came by. Oh wait, that's Amy with their Salmon plates from Tangaroa Terrace.

DSC_5994%20(Large).jpg

She and I enjoyed some nice Mojitos while we waited for our food.

DSC_5999%20(Large).jpg

What did we get, two orders of Shrimp Tacos, and our FAVORITE snack from Trader Sam's (we have it delivered pool side often, and make it at home ourselves), the Ahi Poke!

DSC_6001%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6005%20(Large).jpg

We had a 2-6:30 Cabana to get to at the pools but they had it ready for us when we arrived at 1:30. This was our first time (but not the last because Cabanas are SOOOO worth it). We had Cabana 2, and would repeatedly request it over the years. As the kids age, we will probably shift our Cabana Choice to the higher numbers.

DSC_6006%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6006_crop%20(Large).jpg

If you've never done a Cabana before, you get a nice charging station, bottomless fresh towels, a phone for any want, wish, or desire, fridge, safe, fresh fruit assortment, TV, great view/location to the pools, and PRIVACY.

DSC_6011%20(Large).jpg

The kids were in heaven.

DSC_6010%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6013%20(Large).jpg

I seldom had to leave my lounge to keep an eye on the kiddos.

DSC_6018%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6026%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
The only times we really had to leave the comfort of the Cabana was to watch the kids on the slides, or to go use the deeper pools. Vic was having a great time on the little slides under the larger Monorail Slides.

DSC_6037%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6040%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6048%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6049%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6057%20(Large).jpg

Those splashes could really get you in the face.

DSC_6062%20(Large).jpg

Ah, relaxing with a cold snack. I really need to work on that lack of tan!!

IMG_2922%20(Large).jpg

Was great to use the nice shaded Cabana for breaks.

DSC_6076%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6085%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6097%20(Large).jpg

Char says thanks father!!!

DSC_6081%20(Large).jpg

About 4:30, we headed over towards the deeper pool to do some more splashing around. Was great to have a safe in the cabana to lock up the expensive camera gear/wallet as #2 is out of sight of the large pool.

DSC_6105%20(Large).jpg

The kids wanted me to throw them, and throw them I did!!!

DSC_6129%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6132%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6138%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6154%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6176%20(Large).jpg

Monday morning found us standing in line for Disneyland regular opening. It was EMH at DCA, but we wanted to do Disneyland, so we were in the LOOOONG lines with the rest of the DL guests for the 8AM opening. Whew... glad we don't normally exercise this approach but we will be in no hurry today. It's Victoria's day to get to do everything she wants.

DSC_6190%20(Large).jpg

She was planning her day very carefully!

IMG_2927%20(Large).jpg

Once we were in the park, I separated and ran up to the train station to see if the Lilly Belle was running today. No such luck unfortunately :( Beautiful vista from up top though.

DSC_6194%20(Large).jpg

We noticed that Halloween Minnie was out, so we piled in the line as Victoria LOVES Minnie!!!!

DSC_6197%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6208%20(Large).jpg

Vic was not amused about the wait..

DSC_6225%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6245%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6254%20(Large).jpg

Love the train station.

DSC_6224%20(Large).jpg

We slowly made our way to the end of Main Street and at the end, we found Bert Alfred and Mary Poppins. Vic wasn't a fan of Bert getting in her space.

DSC_6268%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6275%20(Large).jpg

We headed East at the hub (we nearly NEVER head East), and noticed Astro Blasters was walk-on, so we did some shooting. Victoria showed her desire to shoot even more, but pictures, just like her father.

IMG_2935%20(Large).jpg

Next up for us was Astro Orbiter. My children have never experienced the original when it was on the second level, but I much preferred that one over this one. Nonetheless, we still enjoy it.

DSC_6293%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6325%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6326%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6352%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6355%20(Large).jpg

Oh how Tomorrowland NEEDS to return to being a 2-level land. It was so much better when it reached skyward like all futuristic things do.

DSC_6285%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6312%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6339%20(Large).jpg

LOVE this vista of the hub.

DSC_6322%20(Large).jpg

One thing I always loved about Tomorrowland was the message that landscaping should be edible. EVERY piece of greenery you see in Tomorrowland is a food/food-bearing/herb. I so wish they still had the "Cultivating the Magic" tour. I would have LOVED to taken that.

DSC_6381%20(Large).jpg

The two older girls and I stole away to use our Space Mountain FP while Amy took her time going over to Nemo. The sound was a little loud for Char, but K was having a blast.

56615890000%20(Large).jpg

After a fun time viewing the overlay (I prefer the original or original-ish as we get these days), we headed over to Nemo's Submarine Voyage

DSC_6445%20(Large).jpg

We departed the dock and shortly enter the ruins of the ancient civilization of Atlantis including gigantic tiki.

DSC_6411%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6412%20(Large).jpg

Here we find P. Sherman exploring the ruins.

DSC_6413%20(Large).jpg

As we continue to dive deeper, we soon see giant clams and the treasures they have within their shells.

DSC_6417%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6420%20(Large).jpg

We soon dive down into a trench, and what do we find, an Angler Fish!!!

DSC_6427%20(Large).jpg

Under water volcanos spew hot sulfur-laden steam

DSC_6430%20(Large).jpg

We start to ascend in the water column and more of Nemo and his friends are soon to be found.

DSC_6431%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6434%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6435%20(Large).jpg

We finally surface, and boy was it back to be on solid ground!!! Our trip under the sea complete we headed towards Fantasyland.

DSC_6449%20(Large).jpg

As we were walking I noticed this spider web suspended in mid-air amongst two rather far apart pine trees. Brave and industrious spider. My hat goes off to you sir!!

DSC_6454%20(Large).jpg

As we approached Fantasyland, we saw the Evil Queen. Time for a meet and greet.

DSC_6461%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6473%20(Large).jpg

And the requisite pic next to the White Rabbit.

DSC_6481%20(Large).jpg

Little known fact, all of these ride vehicles for the Alice in Wonderland attraction are hand-painted.

DSC_6487%20(Large).jpg

Victoria was being a goof as usual.

DSC_6491%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6492%20(Large).jpg

I know there's debate about the plussing of Alice, but I think the projection and practical effects work well together.

DSC_6496%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6506%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6510%20(Large).jpg

Now it was time for another of Vic's favorite attractions (and one I could leave off an agenda), IASW.

DSC_6525%20(Large).jpg

The queue for this really gives you time to take in all the little details of the facade.

DSC_6540%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6542%20(Large).jpg

The topiaries are so great. Surprised the raised control stations for the loading/unloading section have survived so long.

DSC_6551%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6560%20(Large).jpg

Noticed one of the service animals "bio break" areas adjacent to the queue.

DSC_6552%20(Large).jpg

When the clock chimes, you get to see some of the hidden features of the show building facade.

DSC_6555%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6557%20(Large).jpg

And while in queue, I noticed the spire on the top of the Fantasyland Theater. Little appreciated details of Disneyland.

DSC_6550%20(Large).jpg

One thing I always loved about Tomorrowland was the message that landscaping should be edible. EVERY piece of greenery you see in Tomorrowland is a food/food-bearing/herb. I so wish they still had the "Cultivating the Magic" tour. I would have LOVED to taken that.

DSC_6381%20(Large).jpg

Love the report so far. Glad you're getting time to write things up.

Theresa and I got a group together and we actually took the Cultivating the Magic tour. They saved Tomorrowland for last and... we didn't go in! They briefly talked to the planter at the entrance and that was it!

Joe's Cultivating the Magic Tour Trip Report

Up next was It's A Small World. This is quite possibly my LEAST favorite attraction in all of DLR proper. Autopia is a close second. I would gladly pass on either (unless I had a Tomorrowland Pin which let me go down the flume to the trans-time coaster). Victoria ABSOLUTELY loves it though, so we go.

We start out in North America. This one is a bit of an oddity. We have Canada, Mexico will oddly make its appearance later in the Latin America portion, we also have Eskimos/Nunavik. No pics on that as I've over-done them historically.

Next up is Scandinavia.

DSC_6567%20(Large).jpg

Onward to Europe. (quite a bit of countries represented in this one). Britian, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece and the Netherlands.

We find our first IP-injection (Not jazzed about random IP haphazardly injected like Disney seems to love doing). Alice and the White Rabbit in England.

DSC_6580%20(Large).jpg

I have gotten very few good pics of Tink... this one wouldn't fix that shortcoming of my camera skills.

DSC_6584%20(Large).jpg

I presume this cow is Spain...

DSC_6585%20(Large).jpg

On to Italy..

DSC_6586%20(Large).jpg

And our second IP injection, Pinocchio.

DSC_6588%20(Large).jpg

And some Swiss Mountaineering. Surprised they haven't stuck the Matterhorn in there.

DSC_6590%20(Large).jpg

Onward to Asia (Russia, Japan, India, several Arabian states, Thailand, Indonesia, Korea and China.

Russia representing.

DSC_6593%20(Large).jpg

Agrabah was next up and yet more IP with Aladdin, Jasmine, Carpet, and Lamp.

DSC_6597%20(Large).jpg

And yet more IP in China with Mulan and Mushu

DSC_6598%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6603%20(Large).jpg

A little bit of Indonesia sprinkled in to wrap it up.

DSC_6599%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6600%20(Large).jpg

Onward to Africa, Barbary, Kenya/Tanzania

A harem girl... Disney needs to get on this since they've gotten quite PC as of late.

DSC_6608%20(Large).jpg

The Hyenas from Lion King... yet more IP.

DSC_6609%20(Large).jpg

Our next trip is to the new world, with Latin America. Chile, Argentina, Peru, Brazil, and Mexico are represented.

Llama from Chile

DSC_6615%20(Large).jpg

Aztec Sun God from Mexico

DSC_6619%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6620%20(Large).jpg

Onward to Oceana (French Polynesia, Australia, the Philippines, New Zealand, Hawaii, and Papua New Guinea.

More IP injection with Ariel.

DSC_6628%20(Large).jpg

Nemo and Dory

DSC_6630%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6632%20(Large).jpg

Yet more IP... Lilo and Stitch

DSC_6635%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6639%20(Large).jpg

On to Australia with a Croc..

DSC_6642%20(Large).jpg

Onward to America(the farmland and desert southwest)

DSC_6643%20(Large).jpg

Yet more IP with Jessie and Woody.

DSC_6644%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6645%20(Large).jpg

And finally, the finale, with everyone represented in an odd white garb.

DSC_6647%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6649%20(Large).jpg

This guy always creeps me out.

DSC_6652%20(Large).jpg

The voyage around the world concluded, the outer facade presented itself.

DSC_6658%20(Large).jpg

The train hiding behind the hedges...

DSC_6659%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6662%20(Large).jpg

Looking as majestic as ever even if it is my least favorite attraction.

DSC_6663%20(Large).jpg

Yay!! An update!

I was scouring the Trip Report board so I could see pictures of the parks and yours came up several times. Thanks for adding such detailed and vibrant photos to your reports, it really feels like I'm there at the parks!

Yay!! An update!
The Pandemic was NOT as relaxing as I had hoped for. I wanted to have this TR completely done by now.

I was scouring the Trip Report board so I could see pictures of the parks and yours came up several times. Thanks for adding such detailed and vibrant photos to your reports, it really feels like I'm there at the parks!
More coming!! I'm a visual story teller first and foremost, but I like to give lots of back story detail too. It is a passion of mine.

Onward to Oceana (French Polynesia, Australia, the Philippines, New Zealand, Hawaii, and Papua New Guinea.

More IP injection with Ariel.

DSC_6628%20(Large).jpg

Nemo and Dory

DSC_6630%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6632%20(Large).jpg

Yet more IP... Lilo and Stitch

DSC_6635%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6639%20(Large).jpg

On to Australia with a Croc..

DSC_6642%20(Large).jpg

Onward to America(the farmland and desert southwest)

DSC_6643%20(Large).jpg

Yet more IP with Jessie and Woody.

DSC_6644%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6645%20(Large).jpg

And finally, the finale, with everyone represented in an odd white garb.

DSC_6647%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6649%20(Large).jpg

This guy always creeps me out.

DSC_6652%20(Large).jpg

The voyage around the world concluded, the outer facade presented itself.

DSC_6658%20(Large).jpg

The train hiding behind the hedges...

DSC_6659%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6662%20(Large).jpg

Looking as majestic as ever even if it is my least favorite attraction.

DSC_6663%20(Large).jpg
Great Pictures!
Great Family!
Great Trip Report!
You Sir, are making me miss DisneyLand Hooooribly!

Being about 11AM, and us being in the neighborhood, it was time to give Toon Town a visit. I know people hate it, but I absolutely adore Toon Town. It is filled with SO MUCH DETAIL! The Imagineers really went out of their way to make it magical. Sadly, budgets (the lack of the second floor on Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin), and lack of trees/shade have made it so neglected. Also only having one point of ingress/egress makes it a forgotten corner of the park. I suspect it'll be removed in a decade, but I sure hope not. I love it!

Our first stop of course, is RRCS! While we don't normally do queues, this is the best queue in any of the parks, only tied for Indy. So immersive and amazing.

The gorilla in a monkey suit doesn't want to let us in to the Ink and Paint club..

DSC_6668%20(Large).jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the cartoon props..

DSC_6669%20(Large).jpg

Pie ready for pie to the face!

DSC_6673%20(Large).jpg

I always geek out on the small details like these boards..

DSC_6671%20(Large).jpg

The singing harp for sale and Dumbo's lost feather are always good for a laugh. The Harp was first pictured in Fun and Fancy Free, but made a cameo in the finale of WFRR.

DSC_6672%20(Large).jpg

The roadrunner better watch out... oh wait... wrong IP...

DSC_6676%20(Large).jpg

Baby Herman's vignette is so good... I've got many angles of this room in my other TRs.

DSC_6677%20(Large).jpg

I love that there's step-outs for you to get some breathing room when in a long queue.

DSC_6682%20(Large).jpg

The Weasel moving around up in the window is great. Most people don't know that they were first penned in The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (the inspiration for Mr Toad's Wild Ride). They've had several other appearances prior to WFRR including but not limited to Mickey's Christmas Carol, and Ducktales (why we don't have a Ducktales attraction is beyond me).

DSC_6684%20(Large).jpg

The infamous DIP Judge Doom used on any toon who did not comply...

DSC_6685%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6686%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6689%20(Large).jpg

Even the loading area is festooned (pun intended) with so much to see. It's sensory overload. Shame you don't get to spend more time here observing it all..

DSC_6691%20(Large).jpg

That dip sure did a number on Benny's tires...

DSC_6696%20(Large).jpg

I'm sure this scene is on the chopping block for human (or toon) trafficking..

DSC_6699%20(Large).jpg

Always loved this scene.

DSC_6710%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6712%20(Large).jpg

Hey ladies, I can see you!!

DSC_6714%20(Large).jpg

VERTIGO!!!

DSC_6734%20(Large).jpg

Back at the queue... Love the plates.
2N TOWN - Toon Town
MR TOAD - Mr Toad
1D N PTR - Wendy and Peter
CAP 10 HK - Captain Hook
101 DLMN - 101 Dalmatians
RS2CAT - Aristocat
3 LIL PGS - Three Little Pigs
L MERM8 - Little Mermaid
FAN TC - Fantasy
ZPD2DA - Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

I'm sure they'll remove ZPD2DA soon...

DSC_6772%20(Large).jpg

Yay another update!! Love reading along, even if it makes me miss Disneyland more :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!