Maui/Aulani Split Question

Vernie822

DIS Veteran
Hi! So excited that there is now a Aulani forum.

I have a question that I'm posing since a lot of you may have done a similar split. We are honeymooning in September. We will be going to Maui before heading to Aulani. Our Maui stay will be 1/2 day Monday (coming from LAX so we'll probably be tired and will just do dinner), 2 full days, then 1/2 a day Thursday.

Our Aulani stay will be 1/2 a day Thursday + 5 full days after that.

For those of you that have done both, does that seem like a fair split? I am hesitant to add any more time at Maui because I want to see/do so much at Oahu, but I'm finding that there are lots of things I want to do at Maui as well: ziplining, Haleakala crater, road to Hana to see black sand beaches. What do you think? Is 2.5 days in Maui + 5.5 days in Oahu okay? Or would you add another day to Maui?

Another thought is, I could always bump our flight from Maui to Honolulu to a later time (currently we are planning for the one at 3 pm) to allow for more time that day. Thanks!!

Ok so where you are staying on Maui is going to partially affect how much time, in my opinion. The Road to Hana is at least a half day trip if not longer, depending on how many stops you decide to make and where you are coming from. You can zipline at Haleakala if you wish and that could be a good way of saving time. I think doing those two things in 2.5 days means you will get them done, but you won't really have any relaxation time or time to do anything else. If you're okay with that, keep the schedule as it stands because you will need more time in Oahu when staying at Aulani.

Hi
We often do the Maui / Aulani split. The Maui airport you really will need to be there by no later than 1 as at times the security lines take so long. Also where are you staying in Maui? Your half day really will be spent getting to the airport. If you are staying in Lahaina it honesty could be a good 1 hour on a good day and up to 2 hours.

I love Aulani but also love Maui. Aulani will be super relaxing because there isn't much to do other than sun and relax. I might add another day to Maui. As somene said the Hana drive will take most of a day if you do it right by stopping aling the way for banana bread and pineapple and views, having lunch and then driving back down. Driving up and down the mountain is a half day at least. You ought to try some snorkling or a whale trip if it's the right time of year. As for Oahu you could easily do a trip to the north shore and around as a day trip from Aulani. The same with pearl harbor...and you should get reservations for Pearl Harbor ahead of time on their web site. Tickets are free..no reason to pay for a ,tour. Not sure what else you want to do in Oahu. Hanauma bay is amazing for snorkling but is quite busy and entries are being restricted. We went there 20 years ago and it was quite differnt than today...way too busy for me today Waimea falls is lovely and could be seen on the trip to the north shore. Aulani is on the far end of the island away from Waikiki, the north shore, etc. so it takes quite a while to get around and traffic can be a problem. I hope you allow just a few days for relaxing!

Thank you all so much! I have lots to think about. My fiance suggested skipping the Road to Hana but I really do want to see the black sand beaches. We may bump our flight back to later evening (6 pm ish) so that we'll have more time that last day. Maybe then we can do the ziplining/Ka'anapali beach area on our last day (Thursday).

We plan to stay in Wailea since that's closer to the crater (and maybe the Road to Hana as well?) - unless Ka'anapali would be better, I've been researching the two and I'm leaning towards Wailea but making a trip up to Ka'anapali to zipline and see the beaches there.

Also, we want a mix of adventure/relaxing. I can't sit on the beach every day for 7 days straight, but 1 or 2 beach days with nothing planned is probably the way to go.

Wailea is convenient to Haleakala but not the Road to Hana, which is several hours just for driving (not including stopping).
The route between OGG and Wailea is fairly pleasant and usually no more than 30-40 minutes if traffic isn't too bad (and it usually isn't once outside of Kahului). However, Kaanapali and Lahaina traffic is awful in either direction. It will take you over an hour just to get from Wailea to West Maui, or between West Maui and the airport.

Since it sounds like you are mostly looking for a base of operations so to speak and not really a place to enjoy the pools/beach and relax in Maui, I might consider Kihei for it's more centralized location, maybe Paia.

I'd give 2 days to Aulani and 5 to Maui....loads more interesting things to do in Maui...
We always stay at Ka'anapali and rarely sit around the beach.

When I'm in Oahu I'm only ever going to the shops, or hanging at Aulani. No interest in anything else in Oahu.

Maui is beautiful. There's the crater, road to hana, the Iao needle. Loads of interesting things

I'd give 2 days to Aulani and 5 to Maui....loads more interesting things to do in Maui...
We always stay at Ka'anapali and rarely sit around the beach.

When I'm in Oahu I'm only ever going to the shops, or hanging at Aulani. No interest in anything else in Oahu.

Maui is beautiful. There's the crater, road to hana, the Iao needle. Loads of interesting things

Thank you! We may add another day to our Maui stay. I am really looking forward to some adventure in Maui and some relaxation in Oahu, aside from Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head. My fiance wants to relax more so I'm thinking another day may be in order. I appreciate your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!