Me, run a 5K? Well if Disney is involved, I'm in! (comments welcome) - UPDATED 11/12/15

bearybubba

Mouseketeer
I have never done anything like this before. I've never posted details about my life, my struggles, my weight, my failures, my accomplishments...never. But after finding this forum late last week, I am feeling more motivated than ever to share my struggles in the hopes of helping myself reach my goals.
A bit of background on myself and how I decided to run my first 5K in WDW.
I am 41 years old. I live in a small town in northwestern Pennsylvania with my husband Mike, whom I've been married to for 17 years, and our small 12-year old beagle Zoie.
I am extremely overweight; I am 5'7" and weigh, as of today, 304.4. I've always had trouble with my weight. I have knee and back pain all the time because of it.
Well, last April, we decided to buy a treadmill with our tax return. My husband got up early 6 days a week to walk on the treadmill, then run on the treadmill using Couch to 5K. He has completed 4 5Ks since last April. I'm very proud of him.
This past January, he started talking about how fun it would be if WE could run a 5K in Disney World. I was on facebook and saw all the videos and pics from Marathon Weekend and boy did it look like a great time! My usual response to anyone asking if I started to run when Mike did is, "not unless it involves being chased by police cars!".
So I started my research of when to go, which race, etc., and we decided on the Jingle Jungle 5K in November 2015, which, at the time, was less than 11 months away. I couldn't believe that I would run my first 5K in Disney's Animal Kingdom. I had plenty of time. Well since I was so out of shape, I figured I would start small. We had bought an exercise bike from a coworker of mine last October, so I started with that. My first workout on January 13, 2015 was on the bike for 15 minutes. I added time as I went along day by day. After a couple of weeks, I was up to biking for an hour. I was doing great. I started on the treadmill in February, just walking, nothing big. I made it to walking a mile on the treadmill so I downloaded the C25K app on my iPhone and iPad. I got thru the first workout and that was it. I had decided that there was no way that I was going to be able to run a 5K...what the heck was I thinking when I agreed to this!!!!
My husband was great and very supportive. He kept encouraging me just to keep walking and not worry about running. He also encouraged me to sign up for a local 5K that was going to take place on 3/20/15. I was just going to walk it, see how far 3.1 miles really is, since I still had not gone that far yet.

(continued in the next post)

So I had left off with trying to train for walking my first 5K, which was to be held on March 20, 2015. I had been sick the couple of days before with a stomach bug. I probably should have taken that as my first clue to stay home. My husband was running the 5K and I was going to be walking this one on my own. I started out ok. Had my iPod set to some upbeat songs and I felt like I was cruisin' along. Then I started to get passed by people, people, and more people. OK...I stepped up my pace a bit and passed a couple of people. I looked at my Garmin watch, only 1/2 mile in to the walk. Oh Boy, this is not going to be good! I slowed down a bit to catch my breath and before I know it, I am passed by everyone. I'm in last place, my biggest fear! I'm bringing up the rear, and they have an ambulance that follows the last people. Oh how embarrassing this is turning out to be. Well, of course, it gets worse! Shortly after being passed by everyone, we get to the BIG hill in the course, literally feels like it is at a 45 degree angle. I can see people in my sights so I decide I would run to catch up to them...yeah, not one of my more brilliant ideas! And NOW I know why they have the ambulance following behind the last people. I made it to the top of the hill, barely breathing. Between running up the hill, panicking that I was in last place AND being so out of shape, I managed to have an asthma attack, which I have not had in over 35 years! I had to flag down the said ambulance and was taken to our local ER. Meanwhile, my poor husband had finished the race and was back tracking trying to find me to walk with me. Luckily, I had enough sense about me to send a text that I was in the ambulance on the way to the ER. Not really what you want to receive from your wife!
Walking my first 5K - BIG FAIL!
That was about 10 weeks ago. My training has been pretty much non-existent since then. I'm hoping that by writing in this journal (and any encouragements along the way), and participating in the June exercise and weight loss threads, that I can jumpstart my training again. T-minus 5 months and 6 days until the race!

Last edited:
Don't be to hard on yourself no one in life ever succeeded with out some failures along the way, Michael Jordan got kicked off his high school and things still worked out pretty well for him. And trust me if you are looking for some support along the way you couldn't have come to a greater place, you will have everyone here in your corner ready and willing to support you in anyway we can

You got this!

The best advice I can give you? Left-right-left-right. Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about anything else.

Every time, it's always you running your own race.

Don't be to hard on yourself no one in life ever succeeded with out some failures along the way, Michael Jordan got kicked off his high school and things still worked out pretty well for him. And trust me if you are looking for some support along the way you couldn't have come to a greater place, you will have everyone here in your corner ready and willing to support you in anyway we can

Thanks so much! I figured that I would be in the right place!

You got this!

The best advice I can give you? Left-right-left-right. Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about anything else.

Every time, it's always you running your own race.

Thanks, Keels. I do appreciate the advice.

I did get up early this am and walked 15 min on the treadmill. I'm planning on walking more during my lunch and will probably walk again this evening after work.

First and foremost - your beagle. LOVE!! :love:

You totally can do this. The actual act of signing up for a race always gives me motivation to train - like, I paid all this money (in the case of a Disney race...seriously, a good chunk of change), so I'm definitely going to go to the race because I paid for it. And since I'm going, I want to be prepared for it so that I can enjoy myself and not be miserable...so I'd better train! That's my thought process, anyway.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you - get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running store. Wearing the proper shoes will help a lot!

Otherwise just keep getting out there and try to add a little more time to your walks every now and then, maybe jog a few steps if you feel the urge. But don't do too much too soon - you have plenty of time!

And picture yourself at the finish line with your husband, both of you wearing that adorable Mickey medallion. You'll get there!

You can definitely do this! And hopefully have fun along the way :) I agree with the tip about getting fitted for a good pair of shoes, it really helps. Also, I found it really helpful to have a good training plan. It helped me to have it laid out and know what I needed to do each day to get me to the 5k race ready and prepared. I wasn't a fan of couch to 5k either but there are a lot of other plans out there. I really like Jenny Hadfield's site as I feel she has a lot of plans tailored to different levels. There's a zero to running plan, a 5k walking plan, a 5k walk-run plan (more walking than running) a 5k run-walk plan (more running than walking), etc. http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/ It also helped me to have friends who were getting into running at the same time so we could set up active weekend dates. Maybe there's a colleague or friend you can talk into walking with you?

First and foremost - your beagle. LOVE!! :love:

You totally can do this. The actual act of signing up for a race always gives me motivation to train - like, I paid all this money (in the case of a Disney race...seriously, a good chunk of change), so I'm definitely going to go to the race because I paid for it. And since I'm going, I want to be prepared for it so that I can enjoy myself and not be miserable...so I'd better train! That's my thought process, anyway.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you - get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running store. Wearing the proper shoes will help a lot!

Otherwise just keep getting out there and try to add a little more time to your walks every now and then, maybe jog a few steps if you feel the urge. But don't do too much too soon - you have plenty of time!

And picture yourself at the finish line with your husband, both of you wearing that adorable Mickey medallion. You'll get there!

We love our beagle too.
Since my husband went to the running store to get good shoes, I tagged along and got a pair too so I am set on that!
Thanks for all of the advice as well.

You can definitely do this! And hopefully have fun along the way :) I agree with the tip about getting fitted for a good pair of shoes, it really helps. Also, I found it really helpful to have a good training plan. It helped me to have it laid out and know what I needed to do each day to get me to the 5k race ready and prepared. I wasn't a fan of couch to 5k either but there are a lot of other plans out there. I really like Jenny Hadfield's site as I feel she has a lot of plans tailored to different levels. There's a zero to running plan, a 5k walking plan, a 5k walk-run plan (more walking than running) a 5k run-walk plan (more running than walking), etc. http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/ It also helped me to have friends who were getting into running at the same time so we could set up active weekend dates. Maybe there's a colleague or friend you can talk into walking with you?

Thanks for the website. I was able to check it out yesterday and I think I can definitely do those plans! I also decided to ask a coworker/friend to walk a 5K with me this month while my husband runs a 10K.

I ended up doing 37 minutes of walking yesterday. Looking forward to walking more tonight after I get home from my second job...

The hardest thing for me is not wanting to be last or in the back and I get very competitive about it. Even when I know my body can not handle how fast my mind wants me to be.
So the best thing for me is running/walking on a treadmill (literally, no one can pass you) or running/walking by myself outside. This way, no matter what speed you are at, you are in first place. And no matter when you stop...that is your finish line.
So go do a solid 1/2 mile, or 1 mile or .7856 mile and feel good about getting out there!
I had to try to mentally save my "goal" times and distances for after I had gotten used to just being active. Easier said than done, I know.

Also I am rooting for you! My first Disney race will be a 5k in January. Best part is you can stop for character pictures along the way which is more fun that just stopping on the side of a normal race.

Thanks for the website. I was able to check it out yesterday and I think I can definitely do those plans! I also decided to ask a coworker/friend to walk a 5K with me this month while my husband runs a 10K.

I ended up doing 37 minutes of walking yesterday. Looking forward to walking more tonight after I get home from my second job...

Yay, that's awesome! I hope you enjoy the walking tonight as well. I find that podcasts help me out on my solo walks with something engaging to listen to. And that's awesome that your coworker will be joining you in walking the 5k. It really does make the time go by faster when you have someone with you, and it makes it easier to get out there in the first place.

Well it's been a few days since I have done any updates, but I have a great one! Yesterday, I walked my first 5 K course and there was no ambulance ride needed!!!! I walked it my friend from work and we did it in an hour. I'm so happy!!! I am ready to do that again. I feel like I accomplished something BIG!!!
Can't wait to see how much I can accomplish this week!

This is belated since I just saw it, but AWESOME! I bet it felt nice to get over that finish line. I'm sending you an internet HIGH FIVE!

So I had left off with trying to train for walking my first 5K, which was to be held on March 20, 2015. I had been sick the couple of days before with a stomach bug. I probably should have taken that as my first clue to stay home. My husband was running the 5K and I was going to be walking this one on my own. I started out ok. Had my iPod set to some upbeat songs and I felt like I was cruisin' along. Then I started to get passed by people, people, and more people. OK...I stepped up my pace a bit and passed a couple of people. I looked at my Garmin watch, only 1/2 mile in to the walk. Oh Boy, this is not going to be good! I slowed down a bit to catch my breath and before I know it, I am passed by everyone. I'm in last place, my biggest fear! I'm bringing up the rear, and they have an ambulance that follows the last people. Oh how embarrassing this is turning out to be. Well, of course, it gets worse! Shortly after being passed by everyone, we get to the BIG hill in the course, literally feels like it is at a 45 degree angle. I can see people in my sights so I decide I would run to catch up to them...yeah, not one of my more brilliant ideas! And NOW I know why they have the ambulance following behind the last people. I made it to the top of the hill, barely breathing. Between running up the hill, panicking that I was in last place AND being so out of shape, I managed to have an asthma attack, which I have not had in over 35 years! I had to flag down the said ambulance and was taken to our local ER. Meanwhile, my poor husband had finished the race and was back tracking trying to find me to walk with me. Luckily, I had enough sense about me to send a text that I was in the ambulance on the way to the ER. Not really what you want to receive from your wife!
Walking my first 5K - BIG FAIL!
That was about 10 weeks ago. My training has been pretty much non-existent since then. I'm hoping that by writing in this journal (and any encouragements along the way), and participating in the June exercise and weight loss threads, that I can jumpstart my training again. T-minus 5 months and 6 days until the race!

Hello! I can completely relate to your story. You are not alone in this! My weight has gone up and down over the years. I was super athletic growing up, even a college athlete. But in my early 20's I discovered I had a rare disease in my right knee. I've had 7 surgeries in the last 13 years with the promise of more to come. Before all of this I LOVED running. I would run ALL THE TIME. Loved it. Especially trail running. I did 5K's and 10K's on a regular basis for a few years. Structurally my knee is in good shape, but the extra weight I'm carrying right now means running isn't an option. It does hurt a good bit at times, but I know that if there weren't quite so much weight on it, it would be better. In August of last year I committed to getting myself into shape. I was determined to get down to a weight where I could get back into running. I started out great...doing boot camp 3 days a week, walking as much as I could, eating better. I was losing weight and doing great. Then my boyfriend of over 2 years and I broke up and I was lost for a little while. I lost more weight at first because I couldn't eat from the emotional stress. Since I got through that part though, it's been one physical issue after another. Every time I would recommit to my exercise routine, something else would happen. I was all set for a big comeback in June...this was going to be the month I got back on track. And now I am in a walking boot with a stress fracture, found out the ex has a new girlfriend and I now have bronchitis. This has all happened in the last week. Ugh. Luckily I haven't gained any back that I had lost. But I have to keep losing.

BUT...I am doing the Princess 5K in February NO MATTER WHAT! If I have to walk the whole thing, then so be it. (Luckily Epcot is pretty flat!) :) It may not be happening on the time table I had hoped, but I will get there! It's easier for me to stick to healthy eating when I am working out and walking a lot. When I can't do those things I tend to make bad choices. It's all a mental game and one I have to conquer.

But just know that you can do this! And there are others out there who are trying to do the exact same thing right now! To me it helps to know I'm not the only one.

Congrats on the progress you are already making! Great job!

-Christy

Hello! I can completely relate to your story. You are not alone in this! My weight has gone up and down over the years. I was super athletic growing up, even a college athlete. But in my early 20's I discovered I had a rare disease in my right knee. I've had 7 surgeries in the last 13 years with the promise of more to come. Before all of this I LOVED running. I would run ALL THE TIME. Loved it. Especially trail running. I did 5K's and 10K's on a regular basis for a few years. Structurally my knee is in good shape, but the extra weight I'm carrying right now means running isn't an option. It does hurt a good bit at times, but I know that if there weren't quite so much weight on it, it would be better. In August of last year I committed to getting myself into shape. I was determined to get down to a weight where I could get back into running. I started out great...doing boot camp 3 days a week, walking as much as I could, eating better. I was losing weight and doing great. Then my boyfriend of over 2 years and I broke up and I was lost for a little while. I lost more weight at first because I couldn't eat from the emotional stress. Since I got through that part though, it's been one physical issue after another. Every time I would recommit to my exercise routine, something else would happen. I was all set for a big comeback in June...this was going to be the month I got back on track. And now I am in a walking boot with a stress fracture, found out the ex has a new girlfriend and I now have bronchitis. This has all happened in the last week. Ugh. Luckily I haven't gained any back that I had lost. But I have to keep losing.

BUT...I am doing the Princess 5K in February NO MATTER WHAT! If I have to walk the whole thing, then so be it. (Luckily Epcot is pretty flat!) :) It may not be happening on the time table I had hoped, but I will get there! It's easier for me to stick to healthy eating when I am working out and walking a lot. When I can't do those things I tend to make bad choices. It's all a mental game and one I have to conquer.

But just know that you can do this! And there are others out there who are trying to do the exact same thing right now! To me it helps to know I'm not the only one.

Congrats on the progress you are already making! Great job!

-Christy

Thank you for sharing. I am so sorry you are going thru all of that!

I was able to walk 25 min on Wed, so I am up to doing walks every other day. A bit depressing though when I stepped on the scale this am, after watching what I was eating all week and walking, I gained 4 lbs. It's so frustrating. BUT, I am still going to plug away. I have to at least get to the 16 min pace before Nov! I know it's 5 months away, but boy, that time is just flying by right now.

Thanks for all of the support, you guys! It means a lot that you take time out of your lives to encourage me. :thanks:

Thank you for sharing. I am so sorry you are going thru all of that!

I was able to walk 25 min on Wed, so I am up to doing walks every other day. A bit depressing though when I stepped on the scale this am, after watching what I was eating all week and walking, I gained 4 lbs. It's so frustrating. BUT, I am still going to plug away. I have to at least get to the 16 min pace before Nov! I know it's 5 months away, but boy, that time is just flying by right now.

Thanks for all of the support, you guys! It means a lot that you take time out of your lives to encourage me. :thanks:

Oh I know that feeling. Definitely frustrating to be trying hard and not seeing the kind of results you want. BUT always remember there are many ways to measure results! If you're walking and eating better then you are making yourself healthier, no matter what that number says.

Many people who have done the 5K's at WDW tell me that there is no sweeper for the 5K's! So no pace requirement. I was concerned about that. I have been told they allow an hour and a half for the race before they have to clear the course. So don't stress too much about that! Just take it one day at a time. :)

So it's been a long week. After gaining the 4 lbs last week, I really watched what I was eating and didn't snack as much on 'bad stuff' and had lost the weight I had gained last week and then some. I am now down to where I was 2 weeks ago. Talk about a roller coaster! And since I was working both of my jobs this week, I have not been out walking much. I only got 1 walk in on Tues evening before dinner. I'm really going to try harder this week to get up and out of bed at 5:30am!
Tomorrow I have another challenge coming my way...I'm walking my 1st 5K since my ambulance ride out of the last one in March. I've done a few things different this time that I hope will bring me better success:
I have already walked the course once a couple of weeks ago so I know that I can do it.
I talked my best friend and her husband in to walking with me.
And, I now have an inhaler that I will carry with me, just in case...

Again, thanks for all of the support. I will let you all know how I do tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow! That's great that you've already walked the course once, that really helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!