Me, run a 5K? Well if Disney is involved, I'm in! (comments welcome) - UPDATED 11/12/15

So, I DID IT!!!!! I walked the 5K and crossed the finish line...upright and not in an ambulance! I am really so proud of myself, and I don't say that very often at all. It helped having friends with me and having my inhaler (as a just in case).
Now that I have accomplished this, I am going to start running a little bit. I'm hoping to start the couch to 5K (or something very similar to it) by August 1, at the latest...
Thanks again for all of the support!

Congrats on finishing and being so positive! I definitely agree that it helps to have friends with you :)

Way to go, @bearybubba! You're a rock star!!

I'm just getting caught up on everyone's journals - I just want you to remember: the BEST thing you can do is be active. You may not see results on the scale that you think you should see, but this is more about just a number on a scale. It's about being healthy. It's about better fitting clothes and a longer, healthier life.

I started running in earnest in December, and I've done three half marathons and five (?) 10Ks since then, plus all the training to get to race day. If I were to live by the scale, I've lost a total of 7 pounds since December - which would be a TOTAL downer.

But, I'm down three sizes in pants/skirts/dresses. THREE. I'm at the point where I'm just buying cheap "throw-away" clothes to make it through the summer, because my body is changing so quickly.

Keep up the hard work, and don't worry about the scale. It's just a number! How you feel is what's important!

It's been a while since I've done an update...
Last week was a rough one. I had a stomach bug for a few days and the worst headache I have ever felt in my life. I had to get a CT scan of my head to be sure I didn't have an aneurysm. Talk about scary!!!! Luckily, it came back normal (I guess I do have a brain in there!).
I will say that my weight went up again; however, when I went shopping for some new clothes, I am down 1 size so I was pretty ecstatic.
Hoping to get some more exercise in this month than last month. I have a goal of starting the Couch to 5K by the end of this month.
Only 4 months and 5 days til the race...and that time is going so fast!

Thanks again for all of the encouragement! It means a great deal to me!

It's been a while since I've done an update...
Last week was a rough one. I had a stomach bug for a few days and the worst headache I have ever felt in my life. I had to get a CT scan of my head to be sure I didn't have an aneurysm. Talk about scary!!!! Luckily, it came back normal (I guess I do have a brain in there!).
I will say that my weight went up again; however, when I went shopping for some new clothes, I am down 1 size so I was pretty ecstatic.
Hoping to get some more exercise in this month than last month. I have a goal of starting the Couch to 5K by the end of this month.
Only 4 months and 5 days til the race...and that time is going so fast!

Thanks again for all of the encouragement! It means a great deal to me!

Sorry to hear about the stomach bug and headache :( I'm glad to hear that the scans don't show anything serious! And congrats on the being down a size :) I'm starting wine and dine training this week too. We're all in this together, even if it is virtually. Good luck with your training!

Things just keep getting worse in my quest to do the Jingle Jungle 5K in November...last week I was riding my bike, feeling pretty good, until I got off and my left knee felt weird. I started walking on it and it just swelled to the size of a grapefruit. Luckily I work in a doctor's office so I was able to be seen quickly. Doc said that it was strained and to not do any 'knee-intensive' workouts for a week and put me on prednisone. Yesterday, I was walking and heard a pop in my knee and it gave out. Not good! I now am waiting to have an MRI to see if I tore anything. I'm so discouraged right now. I wanted to start the C25K next week, and right now, I can barely walk on it.

That's rough news. Heal up quick and come to us if you need happy thoughts or pictures of puppies in sweaters (they may not be as cute as your avatar.)
You still have time for the Mickey Jingle 5k. The C25k is only a 9 week program and by week 7 you are literally already doing a 5k if you add in your walk at the end. And you can run/walk or just walk a 5k race at any point in the program. You still got this!

Things just keep getting worse in my quest to do the Jingle Jungle 5K in November...last week I was riding my bike, feeling pretty good, until I got off and my left knee felt weird. I started walking on it and it just swelled to the size of a grapefruit. Luckily I work in a doctor's office so I was able to be seen quickly. Doc said that it was strained and to not do any 'knee-intensive' workouts for a week and put me on prednisone. Yesterday, I was walking and heard a pop in my knee and it gave out. Not good! I now am waiting to have an MRI to see if I tore anything. I'm so discouraged right now. I wanted to start the C25K next week, and right now, I can barely walk on it.

Hope your knee is doing better!

I had my MRI yesterday and it's worse than expected. I have a torn MCL (medial collateral ligament), degeneration of my lateral and medical menisci, and severe cartilage loss. I am scheduled to see an orthopedic dr in 2 weeks. AND it's only 100 days til the race...

Well, I saw the orthopaedic doctor this past Tuesday and the news was not good at all. My running 'career' is over before it even began. The doctor says I have to have both knees replaced but I'm too young to have it done yet, so I will be getting cortisone shots for a while to stave off surgery. If they do the surgery now, the new knees would only last 5-7 years instead of the normal 15 years, and if they have to redo the surgery in that short time, it will not be as good as the 1st surgery because there would not be enough bone structure. He did say that I can briskly walk the 5K in November but absolutely no running. So, my plans for running a half or even a 10K at this point are dashed.
I now have to get my walking time down to the 15 minute pace just so I have enough time for some pics with characters.

I DID IT!!!!! I finished the Jingle Jungle 5K this past Saturday and what a feeling!!!! I am so thankful to those of you that posted on here and were such a great support system for me these past few months. Your words of encouragement meant more than you all will probably ever know. My knees held up pretty well, with the help of some KT tape and the steroid shots I got in them the week before the trip.
Can't wait to go back and do the Star Wars Dark Side 5K in 2017!
Thank you again for the support! You guys are AWESOME!!!!

I DID IT!!!!! I finished the Jingle Jungle 5K this past Saturday and what a feeling!!!! I am so thankful to those of you that posted on here and were such a great support system for me these past few months. Your words of encouragement meant more than you all will probably ever know. My knees held up pretty well, with the help of some KT tape and the steroid shots I got in them the week before the trip.
Can't wait to go back and do the Star Wars Dark Side 5K in 2017!
Thank you again for the support! You guys are AWESOME!!!!

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the 5k and the KT tape+shots helped your knees :) We did the 5k too and really enjoyed it.

Yay!! and you have the world's cutest medal to show for your efforts. And you got to be in Disney. Win Win Win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!