Medic alert bracelet for Mom .....after reality check

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
I have been traveling alone with DS who is a disabled (32 but functions as young child) for a decade. We spend 5-6 weeks a year at Disney, we also go to the beach and other places, and I have no issue traveling with him. Before we leave I make sure I have his Medic Alert Bracelet, his medicines, ear plugs, sound head phones, iPod and all the things that he must have to travel. He is non-verbal but mobile so always keeping a close eye. It's work, like stopping at rest areas because they have companion bathrooms, etc. whereas restaurants don't.

In August I was at Disney with him, and one day in park I suddenly didn't feel well. He is 32 so I'm not young ..... and suddenly I thought about what if I pass out or become unresponsive, what would he do? Would he stay with me, go for help, panic (he has extreme anxiety and panic attacks) ........ and if I can't talk no one would even know I am traveling alone with my DS ... who may not be right there. They could haul me away and leave him alone there. I about had a panic attack on top of how I felt thinking about it.

Here I am sitting at the beach with him before we head to Disney World but this time is different. I ordered a beautiful medic alert bracelet. Stylish but has the medic charm hanging on it. Now Mom is wearing a bracelet too .......... front says "Traveling Alone with Disabled Son". On back is his first name, how old he is and his primary diagnosis (Down Syndrome so he would be more recognizable). Also my other DS and DH's phone numbers. Hopefully I am just going to always enjoy wearing this pretty bracelet but at least if something does happen - people will be alerted to find him.

Just thought I'd share because it never occurred to me what could happen if I got sick .......... I think this is a great idea for me, and really anyone who is traveling alone with a child or someone with special needs.

Last edited:
That's brilliant!

I also wonder about taking a photo each day of your son in that day's outfit, and making that the lockscreen on your phone. That way, emergency responders would immediately have a way of figuring out who they are looking for. If you were conscious but injured you could direct people to look there, or your DH could if they call him.

This is an awesome idea! I have 3 kids, 2 disabled, and recently I had anaphylactic shock. Thank god I was alone at the time, I have no idea what would have happened to them. I just reread my bracelet this week! I’ll post a pic when I get it. Want to share a pic of yours? Blur out the personal info.

My daughter has one from the Medic Alert non-profit company. The biggest advantage is that she has a Medic Alert file, with additional information that is available by phone 24 hours a day.
That’s the only kind I would use for someone with an actual disability.

For the OP’s situation, any kind would work. I would read reviews though to see how durable it is. My sister got a nice looking one, custom engraved, at a jewelry store. But, after several years, almost all of the engraved message had worn off. So check it well before going on a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter