Meet the Robinsons

GusGus77

DIS Veteran
Why was Meet the Robinsons not more popular? It seems like it is one of those movies that has just been forgotten.

My kids love the movie and think it is hilarious!

It's hard to say why Meet the Robinsons was so under rated as a Disney movie, potentially poo marketing as the same year it came out so did Ratatouille, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, National Treasure: Book of Secrets (the real loser), High School Musical plus so more mostly direct to video movies. It was a big year for the number of Disney movies that were released.
The movie itself was fantastic and I think a lot of people didn't appreciated it as deeply as it was created. It's probably one of the most watched movies in my household.

That film always struck me as one made by another studio and released under the Disney name, similar to the way "Mars Needs Moms" was. It was never a true "Disney" film in my eyes.

This is my favorite Disney movie and I always cry at the end. I can't get my kid to watch it though.

That film always struck me as one made by another studio and released under the Disney name, similar to the way "Mars Needs Moms" was. It was never a true "Disney" film in my eyes.

Except that isn't true. It was made by Walt Disney Feature Animation (now Walt Disney Animation Studios), and is considered part of the numbered canon.

Honestly, I myself only saw this movie for the first time last year, and I did really enjoy it but just wasn't super-appealing at the time it was released. I think the issue with it is that it came out during a string of less than stellar efforts from the studio (Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little) and when Dreamworks was riding high with Shrek. In those early CG animation days, the Disney style had not been perfected and was somewhat less appealing than some of the other studios' work (like Pixar). It wouldn't be until Bolt was mildly well received (and still forgotten), then Princess and the Frog brought attention back to Disney's animation game. Tangled of course was the true beginning of yet another Disney resurgence. Unfortunately, that leaves a gem like MTR in an unfortunate spot in history.

Except that isn't true. It was made by Walt Disney Feature Animation (now Walt Disney Animation Studios), and is considered part of the numbered canon.
Hence the "in my eyes". Bolt felt very much the same way to me. They both might as well have been Dreamworks films.

Hence the "in my eyes". Bolt felt very much the same way to me. They both might as well have been Dreamworks films.

They were definitely trying to ape that style because that was hot at the time, and that usually fails. They needed to find their own voice in the CG animation world, and they eventually did with Tangled. Amazingly, they have surpassed Dreamworks, Pixar and pretty much every other CG animation studio at this point, which we can probably thank John Lasseter for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter