Mendenhall glacier

Jeni1781

Mouseketeer
If you have done mendenhall glacier before I am trying to determine if this is doable or worth it.
Taking a taxi to the glacier at 8:00. Spending a few minutes in visitor center and doing the nugget falls trail. Returning to cruise port by 11. We have another tour at 11:30.
Thoughts? I want to go because I may never be in Alaska again but we have an 11:30 panning for gold and a 2:00 dog sled so not sure.

If you're just wanting to see a glacier, the glacier viewing day (usually day 3) will have better views of a glacier than what you'll see at Mendenhall, especially with how much it's receded. With 2 excursions already planned for the day, I wouldn't bother with Mendenhall.

You already have two excursions planned for Juneau? That’s already a busy day. The other thing to keep in mind is that Mendenhall now has to limit visitor passes. You might not be able to just get a taxi and go there.

Also, from my tea search last year, getting a taxis is not a very straightforward thing. It’s not as if you get off the ship and there will be a row of taxis. They need to be pre-booked and there are only two companies. It was also quite expensive.

Driving time from AJ Dock to Mendenhall is listed as 23 minutes (14 miles) - not a high speed road. Just call it an hour for RT.

Two hours at Mendenhall is enough for a RT walk/stroll to the Falls and photos.

This is not a strenuous activity. I don’t bother with the Visitor’s Center, but if you had time after the Falls, why not?

It comes down to how you feel when scheduling activities back to back. Nothing you are planning that day are big energy activities.

If you think this is your only time in Juneau and are comfortable, why not? Cruisers spend a lot more money on excursions in AK than the cost of two taxi rides. And admission is just $5 pp (15 and under are free). If you are just hiking to Nugget Falls - NO fee!

Visitor limits are for commercial tours.

In addition to taxis, they also have taxis.

Driving time from AJ Dock to Mendenhall is listed as 23 minutes (14 miles) - not a high speed road. Just call it an hour for RT.

Two hours at Mendenhall is enough for a RT walk/stroll to the Falls and photos.

This is not a strenuous activity. I don’t bother with the Visitor’s Center, but if you had time after the Falls, why not?

It comes down to how you feel when scheduling activities back to back. Nothing you are planning that day are big energy activities.

If you think this is your only time in Juneau and are comfortable, why not? Cruisers spend a lot more money on excursions in AK than the cost of two taxi rides. And admission is just $5 pp (15 and under are free). If you are just hiking to Nugget Falls - NO fee!

Visitor limits are for commercial tours.

In addition to taxis, they also have taxis.
This!

I’d arrange with your taxi driver to pick you up at a set time for the return trip. Also have their number, in case the driver doesn’t show up.

If you're just wanting to see a glacier, the glacier viewing day (usually day 3) will have better views of a glacier than what you'll see at Mendenhall, especially with how much it's receded. With 2 excursions already planned for the day, I wouldn't bother with Mendenhall.
I agree with this. Mendenhall was underwhelming for me. We tagged it onto the end of whale watching and it was nice but the glacier from the ship was more of a wow factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter