menus on the cruise

Sharon Mayberry

Mamabear
Does anyone think there is a possibility that Disney might be working on some new menus for the dining rooms during this down time ?

Yes, I think that is happening. The various menus are designed by shore-side personnel, with input from the head chef's on board. I would think that the top F&B people are still working and continually evaluating the menus.

Yes, I think that is happening. The various menus are designed by shore-side personnel, with input from the head chef's on board. I would think that the top F&B people are still working and continually evaluating the menus.
I agree. Will make a nice selling point on commercials when they come back as well. “New Lobster _________, on every cruise! (Or something that sounds special)

It's entirely possible that they might be working on some new items, it would definitely be a refreshing change to see some changes when we return, I am guessing that the development wouldn't necessarily be done on board the ships but in a cooking lab or commissary somewhere on shore, that wouldn't need the galley crews at this time. I would imagine with the safety protocols that will be necessary (less handling and ease of preparation etc) they could be looking to add new foods to the menus. It's a perfect opportunity to do so. The fact all 4 ships will be in the same location would also facilitate training on new procedures and menu's as well. It's a really smart opportunity DCL has to really update, streamline, refresh and refine many aspects of the ship board operations with the amazingly unique fact that I believe this will be the first time in many years where ALL 4 ships of the entire Disney fleet will be in the same location at the same time. REALLY hoping DCL takes advantage of the chance for some incredible promotional pictures and videos of the fleet.

My fear is that if they're revamping menus now, they'll end up with smaller menus/fewer choices like they've done at Disney World. It makes sense to have less waste, fewer items to prep, etc, but one of the great things about cruising is the number of included food choices, and having some interesting options vs those at a typical American restaurant. I fear the menu will go more bland in this case.

I do think they will streamline the menus. Maybe not fewer choices (but maybe so), but I bet they will look at how to make dishes in each restaurant that have lots of overlap in terms of ingredients so that ship wide ordering can be more efficient.

Hopefully they focus on feedback too. Pursettes are super popular, so keep those. Lobster bisque is terrible, so find something different.

It could also be a matter of supply chain right now. If the supply chain/providers have had to cut staff, etc. Items might have longer lead times or some items may be more difficult to acquire now than previously. Also, how are the refits to ship to maintain Covid affecting storage spaces onboard?

I am sure there is much more to the logistics and behind-the-scenes goings on than anyone outside of that type of business could imagine.

Though I would love to imagine Disney just dreaming of delicious new menus to tempt us all back onboard, they may be doing so out of necessity as streamlining and smaller menus may be the most logical option or even the only option at this time.

It's possible that the number of courses will be reduced in order to add another seating time with reduced capacity.

It is time for new menus and new shows to be honest..

My fear is that if they're revamping menus now, they'll end up with smaller menus/fewer choices like they've done at Disney World. It makes sense to have less waste, fewer items to prep, etc, but one of the great things about cruising is the number of included food choices, and having some interesting options vs those at a typical American restaurant. I fear the menu will go more bland in this case.

Honestly, the menus arent huge to start off with, with the 2 soups, 2 salads, 4 appetizers, 5 or 6 mains, etc.

With these cruise ships they already have to streamline things somewhat with having thousands of people to serve each seating and then change things around for the next seating.

I would love if they would come up with some new menu items. As long as they dont get rid of the Grand Marnier Souffle or the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes, if they get rid of either of those I will riot

Honestly, the menus arent huge to start off with, with the 2 soups, 2 salads, 4 appetizers, 5 or 6 mains, etc.

With these cruise ships they already have to streamline things somewhat with having thousands of people to serve each seating and then change things around for the next seating.

I would love if they would come up with some new menu items. As long as they dont get rid of the Grand Marnier Souffle or the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes, if they get rid of either of those I will riot
I rather imagine that there are others who would riot if an item they really like (that you don't care if it's dropped) were gotten rid of.

One thing I am hoping they do is bring the MDR allergy menus across the fleet. When we sailed B2B2B on the Dream in December they had allergy menus in the MDRs. They are similar to the allergy menus they have at many WDW restaurants.

Although I couldn't actually use them directly because I have multiple food allergies, they were still a help as it meant there were more ready or more easily modifiable options available. And it meant there were more **dessert** options as most of the desserts were friendly to quite a few allergens - no more variation on a chocolate lava cake each night ;-)

So I got more sauces, more desserts. It was nice !

And since they've already done it for the Dream it should be pretty easy to bring it to the other ships.

I wish they would return to some more adventurous dishes - the cruise menus of the late 2010s compared to 20 years ago are dismal. I also feel that dinner is so rushed also these days. I'd prefer if they went back to more finer dining in royal court/lunieres/tritons. Dining across DCL in general has been standardised and dumbed down too much.

Please keep the truffle pursettes though ;)

It's entirely possible that they might be working on some new items, it would definitely be a refreshing change to see some changes when we return, I am guessing that the development wouldn't necessarily be done on board the ships but in a cooking lab or commissary somewhere on shore, that wouldn't need the galley crews at this time. I would imagine with the safety protocols that will be necessary (less handling and ease of preparation etc) they could be looking to add new foods to the menus. It's a perfect opportunity to do so. The fact all 4 ships will be in the same location would also facilitate training on new procedures and menu's as well. It's a really smart opportunity DCL has to really update, streamline, refresh and refine many aspects of the ship board operations with the amazingly unique fact that I believe this will be the first time in many years where ALL 4 ships of the entire Disney fleet will be in the same location at the same time. REALLY hoping DCL takes advantage of the chance for some incredible promotional pictures and videos of the fleet.
I hadn't even thought about all of the ships being together! I really hope they use this unique opportunity too.

I think test kitchens are used at Walt Disney World before moving onto the ship - its not just a case of coming up with new dishes but also sourcing suppliers and getting costs right.
Right. The other poster was just saying they hoped they used the opportunity for some pictures, and promotional stuff. I think that would be kind of awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter