Mgm

Horizons16

DIS Veteran
I have heard some people talking that MGM is getting sold. Whats going to happen to the park now?
~Steve

Your are right, but Disney has had only a liscence to use the MGM name and had to renue it I think two years ago. I don't know the terms of the renewal, but I know Disney hasn't been happy with it, soon afterward they chnged the name from MGM studios to Disney Studios. Now the big questions is what happens to the muppets, those talks have been going on endlessly................

Well something is going on between MGM & Disney. Last week (1/30) ABC started showing the James Bond movies (it looks like it will be in sequence) using stars from their sitcoms to introduce the movie and banter at commercial time.

Hasn't ABC always had the Bond films? If not they definitely had them at one time, because I remember watching them in the '80s. I'm about 95% sure it was on ABC.

DVCDAVE, I think the name change was only done for promotional materials produced during the time that the license extension was being contemplated. Once the renewal occured, the "MGM" returned to everything related to the park.

I've always understood that the agreement always specified that Disney could not use the "MGM" name for any type of promotion, so that on things like tV commercials and vacation videos that "MGM" would be airbrushed out to say only "Disney Studios." According to that, promotional materials only say "Disney Studios" but it was never really a name change.

DR

I think it was just a 'CYB' thing during renegotiations... All the TV commercials refer to it as Disney-MGM Studios, and I'm holding a promotional brochure that I picked up at a local restaurant with the full name printed all over it. The commemorative glass set I got from McDonalds during the Milinnium celebration (when the necotiations were taking place) says "Disney Studios".

Disney is always mentioned along with Viacom (parent of Paramount and CBS) as a potential buyer of MGM. It would be a good fit as they would get a good portion of their film library (I think - but I'm not 100% sure - that a good portion is licenced to AOL Time Warner through Turner - TBS used to show the bond films - but as a previous poster mentioned - thy're now on ABC).

If Disney buys MGM - you can bet that Disney-MGM studios will probably be heavily promoted. ANd look for MGM based rides - can you imagine what Disney could do with 007?!

A 007 themed ride would be great! I love those movies i think it would be a very good investment for Disney.
~Steve

In December, a pin-seller cast member at AK told me that the ties were being severed, and that the Disney-MGM pins were all being changed to just say Disney Studios, so the old ones would become valuable.

Just to add to the confusion...

The vacation planning video refers to Disney Studios, and does airbrush out the MGM when they show the sign. Looks kinda funny, since it makes the sign look off-centered.

However, the 100 Years of Magic brochure that came with the video refers to Disney-MGM Studios.:confused:

Perhaps the decision to ditch or reinstate (whichever it was) the name came between the time the video and brochures were produced? Or maybe MGM can be used in print, but not in video promotions? Regardless, I don't think these things were produced in 2000, so I would think the negotiations in 2000 would not have had an effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter