Midnight Departures and Hoping for Sunshine - a January 2016 TR - Completed 2/1

they are good.
i'm sure those that have been reading your trippie will say the same thing.

I agree with you about the food in Potter places......it's nothing like decent pub food over here......never ever saw salad served with cottage pie or a Cornish Pastie! Odd.

Yes the parks are gorgeous at night......they take on a different feel.......and Potter areas are spectacular.....

Really enjoying your updates........

Great updates and fabulous pics!!

I love those minion candy apples :love: . So darn cute!!!

I might have to try the lemon squash on our next visit....we've had the Otters Fizzy Orange Juice and loved it, so I'm sure their version of lemonade would also be a big hit. As for the minted peas, though....I was not a fan. Steve liked them, but minty veggies were just strange to me!!

The contrast of colours on your photo from the boat is stunning....the colour of the sky against the green foliage. So pretty.

Can't wait to hear about where you dined next!

I agree with you about the food in Potter places......it's nothing like decent pub food over here......never ever saw salad served with cottage pie or a Cornish Pastie! Odd.

Yes the parks are gorgeous at night......they take on a different feel.......and Potter areas are spectacular.....

Really enjoying your updates........

If Universal got pub food right on top of everything else they do so well, I doubt Disney would have any customers - LOL!

So Carole, when are we having the Scotland dismeet? :D I am a total Anglophile... Errr... Europhile? We're trying to do the April trip on a smaller budget to save money to get back to Europe. I hear Scotland and Ireland are gorgeous in the summer...

Dinner... At Antojitos! Or as Ryno of podcast fame would say... "Anti-jotes" :laughing:

Hx0ofjal.jpg

As you might remember, we'd decided to have this for lunch on Friday (day 2) but ended up at Cowfish, which I thought we'd have for a dinner, and ended up at Antojitos for a dinner instead. Funny how things work out!

We arrived at the restaurant and were told there was a 20 minute wait. Okay. Asked about priority seating and I was told they don't do it when they're busy... Which makes no sense - why would I need priority seating if there was no wait? Anyhow, we proceeded to the bar and made ourselves comfortable on two available bar stools. The bartenders here were awesome and offered neighboring patrons menus so they could eat at the bar and avoid the wait. Our snacks were tiding us over so we both ordered the grand margarita (Patron Silver Tequila, Patron Citronage, Tamarindo, Aguas Frescas, Muddled Pear, Agave Nectar, Fresh Lime - $13.00)

qWwrvBul.jpg

O1UjqoDl.jpg

These were super tasty, giant, and went down smooth and easy. We had no problem waiting for our table here in the company of the professional barkeeps.

In a few moments we received our text letting us know our table was ready - we had a nice table (presumably a four top) near the stage -- fortunately the mariachis were done for the night by the time we were seated as it was nearly 9:45.

WI3lwvhl.jpg

[that's our very excellent server there at far right]

By this time we were ready for a fresh round of drinks - I chose the Handsome George (Casamigos Tequila, Del Maguey Mezcal Vida, Cointreau, Agave Nectar, Fresh Lime Juice - $12.00). R chose the mango caipirinha (Paris 51 Cachaca, Mango Puree, Fresh Lime Juice, Simple Syrup, Soda - $9.50). The handsome george was named after George Clooney and that's about the nicest thing I can say about mine, which I didn't like. I love mezcal but this drink was just unbalanced, dry, and icky, for lack of a better word. R liked his.

6RkvHyhl.jpg

f3mwxsLl.jpg

For an appetizer we'd usually order guacamole to accompany the delicious chips and salsa, but at $14 that was NOT happening. Can we just take a moment of silence for the fact that the guacamole was FOURTEEN DOLLARS?!:scared1:

Instead we made the best choice of our whole trip (well, besides the annual passes) and ordered the nachos (Tortilla chips, Black Beans, Serrano Chiles, House Made Queso, Pico De Gallo, Cheddar Cheese, and Guacamole - $16). Now these were good nachos! Enough for a large entree, these were a great appetizer. Spicy and amazingly delicious!

3XmRjQfl.jpg

For dinner we chose to share the carnitas (Negra Modelo Chile Braised Pork Shoulder with Serrano Chile, Avocado, Salsa Verde, and Queso Fresco, Served with Black Beans and House Rice - $17) and this was good. My pictures didn't turn out well in the weird lighting here. We liked it. (We make pretty mean carnitas at home and have high standards but these were yummy)

G2iSWlLl.jpg

Total price for two rounds of drinks, a Diet Coke, nachos, and carnitas was $85.72 with AP discount and tax, before tip. We thought this meal was excellent and server Jerry was wonderful. The hostess was the only blight on a lovely experience. We'll be back. This might have been my favorite dinner, considering drinks, food, setting, service, and ambiance. :thumbsup2

It was 10:30 by the time we ate, so unfortunately it was too late for the hot tub. We reluctantly packed a few things and went to bed for the last time in those dreamy Loew's beds :cloud9:

Great updates and fabulous pics!!

I love those minion candy apples :love: . So darn cute!!!

I might have to try the lemon squash on our next visit....we've had the Otters Fizzy Orange Juice and loved it, so I'm sure their version of lemonade would also be a big hit. As for the minted peas, though....I was not a fan. Steve liked them, but minty veggies were just strange to me!!

The contrast of colours on your photo from the boat is stunning....the colour of the sky against the green foliage. So pretty.

Can't wait to hear about where you dined next!

Thank you, Gina! I love the minions too and adored those apples. They're on the list... But could I actually eat a minion? It would feel like cannibalism!

That fizzy orange sounds intriguing! R did not like the mint peas either - there must be one weirdo in every couple who likes them :crazy:

Thanks for following along with me!!!

i hesitated on that place in october but it does sound like you enjoyed your food.
i'll probably hit that place next time i am there.
and i will not get a george clooney.....thanks for that heads up!

i hesitated on that place in october but it does sound like you enjoyed your food.
i'll probably hit that place next time i am there.
and i will not get a george clooney.....thanks for that heads up!

I forgot to mention the baby dolls on the wall near the ladies' room. Not as scary as some have described but definitely interesting! That's a good description for this whole place. Very interesting, but fun! We had a great time. (The baby dolls are decorated like day of the dead. I didn't take pictures but worth a Google!)

Other than George the drinks were great too - the grand margarita was a winner and I should've stuck with it but it was strong!

A great review on Antijitos :thumbsup2 . We're not typically into Mexican food, and will probably never dine their ourselves, so the only way I can "experience" it is through awesome reports like yours! I am glad you enjoyed it so much (well, except for your George.......poor George!).

Love the sound of the grand margarita!! And only $13....... Bargain!! I would go just for that.......don't really eat Mexican food but it did look nice.......gets very mixed reviews so I'm glad you enjoyed it.......but glad you mentioned the handsome George......I think I would have ordered that going by the description......shame you didn't like it....

Scotland is beautiful.......so many different scenic changes.......and the weather is ridiculous........it can be warm one minute then rainy and cold the next.......four seasons in one day is normal. You definitely have to bring clothes for all weathers ::yes::........I live in England in a village down on the East Coast and have done for over 20 years .........but I do miss the West Coast of Scotland for its beauty.......and family of course.

Never been to Ireland, not a place I ever want to go.

Nice update.......I hear you in the comfy beds too...........

Day 5 - January 18

Aside from this being a short day since it was our departure day, I also don't have too many more photos to share because I had some issues with my phone. I had been having intermittent trouble with my phone screen - it would go through spells of being unresponsive and then on our trip I developed "lines of death" which eventually ate my whole screen into white abyss. I did get it repaired immediately after the trip - my LCD needed replacing. Anyway, just an aside...

We "slept in" again this morning until 8, finished up packing, checked out on the tv, and took our bags to the car :sad:

The last boat ride to Citywalk was bittersweet. What a fun adventure we'd had! Upgrading to APs made the parting a little easier but since I didn't have a trip planned yet, I was still feeling the pangs of real life creep back into my theme park euphoria. (At the time, R had made it known that he wanted a beach trip for a spring vacation, but he's now acquiesced to my desire to go back to Orlando so we'll be incorporating a beach day and more pool time into the April plans. He's a good partner.)

Our first task was Rip Ride Rockit. And we were going to Rip Ride Request the front row! ::yes:: But we didn't have to since we were assigned that row by chance. It was fantastic. I tried to actually notice the park landmarks as we swooped, spun, and spiraled. This is one of my favorite roller coasters now. It's funny to think how scared I was the first go round!

bCv8kZdl.jpg

[broken iPhone captured some sweet lens flare]

We hadn't had any breakfast so we grabbed a pretzel from a stand near the former Twister. It tasted like yesterday's batch, but plastic cheese and mustard helped. It was nice to enjoy this little snack on a bench across from the future home of the Jimmy Fallon attraction and just enjoy the weather :sunny:

We made our way over to the mummy, which we rode twice and I was much more careful with my legs this time. We kept going, around London and on to Men in Black, but it seemed like the guns weren't working well this time. Not an excuse for poor scores! It was our whole car and the red button couldn't even help us this time. The other car spun us into oblivion.

The pretzel had worn off by this time and we were feeling the effects of departure day blues... Only one thing could fix this. Florean Fortescue's! R chose one scoop of peanut butter and jelly, one scoop of salted caramel blondie. I chose chocolate raspberry and salted caramel blondie. We both got waffle cones. ($11.49 after tax and discount)

q9SMkALl.jpg

Lkuq0n0l.jpg

R wanted to have another look in Borgin and Burks and I wanted to take another look around in Knockturn Alley. We took our ice creams in and watched little witches and wizards do some spells. We liked the shrunken heads best I think. R got a set of magnetic bookmarks with the Deathly Hallows on them and he has shared one with me. Hogwarts Express had a long line so we decided to walk back out the front of the park.

bssj4KPl.jpg

Rh04Cs6l.jpg

Needing fuel for our voyage (or to lift our moods), I suggested we stop at Chez Alcatraz and check out the bar offerings there since I'd read good things. Bartender Luis was great and upsold us to souvenir glasses we didn't need, but we got a lot more drink for just a couple dollars and now we have plastic glasses clogging up our cabinets.... I mean... As lovely souvenirs. :laughing:

lJDdZe6l.jpg

R chose the Rock (like a mint julep, Luis said) and I chose the Breakout. I really liked mine, and we paid $23.43 for the pair after tax but before tip. We didn't finish them by the time we got to the front, so we had to sit and people watch while we finished our drinks. I'm not sure why you can take beer on the Hogwarts Express but not a drink to IOA on foot, but it was no problem sitting in the sunshine finishing our cocktails.

63rVuFrl.jpg

b5jJrLrl.jpg

We walked over to IOA and went straight for Dr. Doom (after debating the practicality of a half dozen pistachio muffins to go...) and rode that twice. This time we noticed the marvel tricycle motorcycles parked backstage and thought that was kinda neat. We debated other attractions and decided to call it a wrap.

3Pgnhtyl.jpg

I took these last few photos "blind" as my phone was totally failing by this point.

Fg6iY5dl.jpg

We decided to bookend our trip with the NBC Sports Grill and Brew. This time, the host was a total goofus. We asked to sit outside and he took my name and number. We passed a few minutes waiting behind Auntie Anne's by the water with our feet up... This was the last of the glorious Florida weather we'd get for a while. I got the text and we were seated inside (?) near the bar by the elevators. Though they didn't grant my request to sit outside, we were hungry and I was sad and didn't want to make a fuss.

jilIYOEl.jpg

Probably because I was already feeling blue, our server seemed EXTRA CHEERFUL and recited a rehearsed spiel about the restaurant and its beer selection. Okay dude, calm down. I ordered an Orange Blossom Pilsner and got it at 2:00. Last picture of the trip.

9hMOVlUl.jpg

I ordered the chicken nachos from the appetizers portion of the menu - they were massive and very good. (Pulled chicken, jalapeño queso, beans, tomatoes, fresh jalapeño - served with pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream on the side - $13) I probably left a full portion of chips after we'd eaten all the toppings and as many chips as I could. R had the California burger (lettuce, tomato, avocado, sprouts, red onions, garlic aioli, multigrain bun - $15) with kettle chips as his side as we'd liked those on Thursday. This was another very good meal and good service, even though we saw Shawna at one point and were disappointed we didn't ask for her section. The wait staff here combined with the great food really bumps this place out of the "good for a sports bar" category and into just plain good food. I wasn't driving so I had a second beer. $56.16 before tip - didn't ask for AP discount. We'll be back.

We sadly returned back to the Portofino, collected the car, and let ourselves out of the parking garage for the last time. It was time to go home.

Final thoughts:

We did a LOT and repeated a lot of things. I felt like construction didn't really impact us but I also don't know what I'm missing. I remember very little from my visit to Universal as a child within the first few years after the park opened - Kongfrontation scared the ever loving patootle out of me and I loved ET. I vaguely remember Earthquake and I remember being too small for Back to the Future. Aside from that, this may as well have been my very first visit.

The Wizarding World has been done very very true to the films. Thrill rides were done well - even if sometimes crudely themed. The food options at Universal offered a good selection and the prices made my Disney budget look absurdly expensive, even though I had some sticker shock over Universal's drink prices.

Hotels at Universal squarely beat Disney and the deluxes we've done "off-site" (Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Swan (though the new rooms at the Swan do compete, service and amenities don't), Dolphin, and the moderate Caribe Royale. We got a great rate at Portofino and man, was that a value.

We definitely plan to return and I am looking forward to experiencing the other resorts, the shows and attractions we missed, and showing my sister around.

Please feel free to continue asking questions. To rip off IOA, though my trip report has concluded, the adventure lives on... :cool2:

g4ZTqjDl.jpg

A great review on Antijitos :thumbsup2 . We're not typically into Mexican food, and will probably never dine their ourselves, so the only way I can "experience" it is through awesome reports like yours! I am glad you enjoyed it so much (well, except for your George.......poor George!).

Poor George! LOL probably the first time George has ever been pitied. :rotfl:I will give them the benefit of the doubt and guess mine was maybe made incorrectly because the description sounds great and everything else we had was wonderful. Apparently George Clooney owns the tequila brand or something like that... In addition to his other talents. Poor George.

Love the sound of the grand margarita!! And only $13....... Bargain!! I would go just for that.......don't really eat Mexican food but it did look nice.......gets very mixed reviews so I'm glad you enjoyed it.......but glad you mentioned the handsome George......I think I would have ordered that going by the description......shame you didn't like it....

Scotland is beautiful.......so many different scenic changes.......and the weather is ridiculous........it can be warm one minute then rainy and cold the next.......four seasons in one day is normal. You definitely have to bring clothes for all weathers ::yes::........I live in England in a village down on the East Coast and have done for over 20 years .........but I do miss the West Coast of Scotland for its beauty.......and family of course.

Never been to Ireland, not a place I ever want to go.

Nice update.......I hear you in the comfy beds too...........

Oh whoops, here I was thinking you were still in Scotland! Well I didn't spend enough time in England when there - just popped in for a few days really to visit my friend who was studying on exchange at Oxford. You know how we Americans romanticize the UK... well, Oxford only made it worse! It was terribly romantic and beautiful and quaint.

That margarita really was good. If I were picking a place for a cocktail from anywhere we tried them, I'd probably go get another of those margaritas. They were so big that $13 really was a bargain.

Fantastic Trip report. I loved reading every bit of it. Only one week until my own trip now and you've made me look forward to it even more!

Thank you! I had such a good time writing it and now I'll be able to look back and remember all the details of our trip.

:disrocks:

A big thank you to everyone who stopped in to say hello and provide encouragement - it was a lot more fun having you all here!

again, more beautiful pictures.
i looked three times at the ice cream and checked at the menu you shared with us.....

you have the ap which means you will be back within the next year
that is a good thing!

leaving is always sad.
but with your report here and all the pictures you took, you can always look back at this thread and know what you can look forward to on your next darkside visit.

Oh whoops, here I was thinking you were still in Scotland! Well I didn't spend enough time in England when there - just popped in for a few days really to visit my friend who was studying on exchange at Oxford. You know how we Americans romanticize the UK... well, Oxford only made it worse! It was terribly romantic and beautiful and quaint.

That margarita really was good. If I were picking a place for a cocktail from anywhere we tried them, I'd probably go get another of those margaritas. They were so big that $13 really was a bargain.

Oxford is gorgeous......we really like it there......have a cousin who's husband works there and they live in a beautiful part of it......even though we don't live very far away now from them, we don't see them too often but when we do go we see always struck just how pretty it is. I can see how you fell in love with it.....

I hear you on last day blues.......it's horrible. But your pics are lovely and so glad to read you has such a lovely trip and enjoyed all aspects of it, from hotel, parks and food.....yes, you can look back on this report with joy........and of course plan the next trip.

Thanks for writing it Melinda, really enjoyed reading a new report.......:wave2:

Last edited:
No!!! Say its not over :sad: .

You penned a GREAT report...thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Your write ups and photos were so excellent (pity to hear about your phone on the last day, though :headache: ... especially when you were already dealing with all the emotions that going home brings).

Your comment about the souvenir cups made me laugh right out loud. We have an entire cupboard full of the darn things in our kitchen, and we seem to add more to the collection every trip. I am sure they will be useful.....someday :rolleyes1.

I loved your trip report and all the pictures, Melinda. I was drooling over the ice cream pictures, YUM! My favorites are still the Earl Grey & lavender and the Clotted Cream, but that chocolate raspberry and the blondie ones were yummy too (aw, heck, it's ice cream. It's all yummy!)

Loved the review of Antojitos...we've got a couple picky kids that don't care for Mexican food (which is terrible as it's my favorite), but I'm with you on the price of the guacamole. For that, they should give you enough guac to bathe in! (Not sure why you'd want to, but it's the principal of the thing!) haha

I'm glad you had good experiences at NBC grill (with the exception of the last day seating) as they have had some real misses and bad reviews lately. Hopefully the bumps are smoothing out and they are getting into the swing of things. We might just try it when we go in May.

Again, thanks for the report!

Love your report! Thank you for posting it. During my first trip last Easter, we some how missed Florean Fortescue's. It is on the "must do" list for our trip this May.

again, more beautiful pictures.
i looked three times at the ice cream and checked at the menu you shared with us.....

you have the ap which means you will be back within the next year
that is a good thing!

leaving is always sad.
but with your report here and all the pictures you took, you can always look back at this thread and know what you can look forward to on your next darkside visit.

Thanks for your kind words, macraven! I will be back to Universal in just about two months! I can't wait.

I hear you on last day blues.......it's horrible. But your pics are lovely and so glad to read you has such a lovely trip and enjoyed all aspects of it, from hotel, parks and food.....yes, you can look back on this report with joy........and of course plan the next trip.

Thanks for writing it Melinda, really enjoyed reading a new report.......:wave2:

Thank you, Carole - and thanks for following along!

You penned a GREAT report...thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Your write ups and photos were so excellent (pity to hear about your phone on the last day, though :headache: ... especially when you were already dealing with all the emotions that going home brings).

Thanks for reading along with me, Gina! It was so fun to have you here since your good reports and the adventures of @schumigirl helped me plan so much! I'm sure I'll have another TR after my April trip :yay:

I'm glad you had good experiences at NBC grill (with the exception of the last day seating) as they have had some real misses and bad reviews lately. Hopefully the bumps are smoothing out and they are getting into the swing of things. We might just try it when we go in May.

Again, thanks for the report!

I guess, as with any restaurant, things can be hit or miss - but I'm really surprised to hear NBC Grill and Brew is getting bad marks! We had awesome service and food twice. We'll visit again in April, I'm sure... You know, for scientific research purposes!! :teeth:

Thank you for reading @Kivara !!!

Great report! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.

Thank you! Everyone has been so kind. I must say it makes me ready to write another!

Love your report! Thank you for posting it. During my first trip last Easter, we some how missed Florean Fortescue's. It is on the "must do" list for our trip this May.
Glad you enjoyed it! So fun to write and remember! We loooooved Florean Fortescue's. I wish it was okay to have ice cream for breakfast when we're not on vacation :laughing: but my waistline says no!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter