Milwaukee RV Show: Give me a mission!

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
OK - We are nowhere near ready to buy our next rig (that's probably a good 8-10 years out), but we are going to the Milwaukee show tomorrow to check things out (and for me to continue to show DW the kind of thing we could spend three months in each winter!).

So, who's looking for what? Let me know what you have been searching for (that could be found at an RV show! :teeth:), and I'll see what I can find and bring back some pics!

mickeyfan0805,

Let me be the first to submit a request.

I would appreciate a picture of any A-frame folding trailers you come across in the show. The Aliner brand would be best as I always have my eye out for the latest and greatest in small, cute, extremely towable conveyances but any Forest River models would be interesting as well.

Thanks for asking! :wave2:

Bama Ed

PS - the shows around me tend to skew toward the bigger units and ignore the highly desirable, much overlooked popup/folding trailer market. Maybe your show will have more on the show floor to examine than what we get.

So, who's looking for what? Let me know what you have been searching for (that could be found at an RV show! :teeth:), and I'll see what I can find and bring back
I'm looking for the Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA with a sign on it that says, "Congratulations Jim! Here is your new coach, free of charge."

Ed- They had several A-frame trailers at our show. There were more tear drops, but at least 2 different brands/models of A frames. Neither were A-liners.

j

5th wheel toy haulers in the 12-13000# dry range.

DS's Pinewood Derby and friends over for dinner ate up Saturday, Then Sunday included travelling to MI for a Memorial Service I led yesterday - so, it took me a few days to get back on here. But, I did look for what you all were looking for (not that I had much success). Overall, I found that the vast majority of the focus was on rigs that were either family-friendly or snowbird ready. Not a ton of the little stuff (I think I only saw 1 teardrop trailer), only 1 high-end motorhome, and a limited number of toy haulers. In general, it was predominately fifth wheels for couples or families, and travel trailers in the 25-35' range. Below you will find the little bit that I saw...

@bama_ed, there were two A-frames that I saw (both A-liners). Unfortunately, crowds made it too difficult to get in to get pictures, but tI got the exterior. Both had pop-out portions - one canvas and the other hard-sided.

A1.JPG A2.JPG

@rideswithchrist, I know you have been looking at hybrids. There weren't a ton, but there were two I saw. This first was a Roo 24ws. What stood out to me on this one is that the bathroom is in front of the rear bunk, giving it something of feel of a separated room. For kids in bed while parents are still up in the cabin, this setup would be intriguing...

R11.JPG R12.JPG R13.JPG R14.JPG

You are the bomb! That actually looks really close to what I'm wanting and lower weight than the ones I've looked at to this point.

What! You didn't find my complimentary Allegro Red?

Thanks for posting. It's always nice to see what is out there.

j

Michael,

Check out this Keystone Carbon. One of the things I didn't like about the toy hauler we had for the race team was how the living quarters felt cramped in the middle of the trailer. The garage never seemed to cool (or heat) well enough to use. The floorplan below doesn't have the wall/door dividing off the garage and feels like it has a lot more usable living space. If you are only wanting to bring a golf cart, this may work. The slide would encroach a bit, but a cart could be pulled to one side and still fit fine.

https://www.keystonerv.com/toy-haulers/carbon/floorplans/349-toy-hauler/

349.png

j

DW not a fan of the TH without the dividing wall. Feel it gives the kids their own room while we are on the road. That's got a huge shower though.

Marty,

Thanks for the pix of the Aliners. The two models you photog'ed had "dormers" on them (the flat top extensions coming off the angled roofs). One was the "soft" (canvas) dormer in what looked like a 10'-12' box and the other was the "hard" (fiberglass) dormer in a 14' box (my size). The dormers are to allow standing at the ends of the unit if you have an uncommon arrangement (like a kitchen stove/sink/fridge) at the front end. I have a dinette (sitting so no extra head room needed) at the front of the unit and a couch that folds down into a bed at the back of the unit (no extra headroom needed while seated or sleeping). So I have no dormers and am fine.

The soft dormers are less energy efficient due to the canvas which makes them harder to keep heated or cooled (depending on the season) and the hard dormers add about 100+ pounds. Also units that have a shower next to the door bump the bed unit to the back end which can trigger a dormer.

Thanks for the update.

Bama Ed

PS - I'm hoping you can convince tiggerdad to get that Keystone so I can borrow it (and his truck to pull it).

PPS - the dormers were originally a design of an Aliner competitor, the Chalet popup line. Aliner is an East Coast company (Pennsylvania) and Chalet is a West Coast company (Oregon). In the popup world, shipping distance from the factory can mean considerable cost so basically the two split the US in half to dominate their own sides. Aliner originated the A-frame camper and Chalet originated the dormer. And both adopted the other for competitive reasons. The more you know....

Last edited:
PS - I'm hoping you can convince tiggerdad to get that Keystone so I can borrow it (and his truck to pull it).

He got her attention. We have a local Keystone dealer and a local Jayco dealer so that factors in as well. She already looked up the unit and sent an email to local dealer to find out information. I like that it's actually about 1000# lighter than the Dutchman I was liking so much. I could really deal without the generator in a TH to be honest. I mean it would be good if power went out, but I have a 5400 watt Craftsman here at the house for that so would just as soon lose the extra weight and $4000 to be honest.

I'm looking for the Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA with a sign on it that says, "Congratulations Jim! Here is your new coach, free of charge."

Ed- They had several A-frame trailers at our show. There were more tear drops, but at least 2 different brands/models of A frames. Neither were A-liners.

j

With you on the New TIFFIN but for us it would be an ALLEGRO BUS with full body slide on drivers side and 2 on passenger side

Mike,

This is the one we saw at the StL show. The layout is similar to our friends new Windsport, but they don't have the rear bath. I loved how open the living space was and the rear bath was great.

Allegro Red 37 BA

Allegro-RED-37-BA.jpg

j

He got her attention. We have a local Keystone dealer and a local Jayco dealer so that factors in as well. She already looked up the unit and sent an email to local dealer to find out information. I like that it's actually about 1000# lighter than the Dutchman I was liking so much. I could really deal without the generator in a TH to be honest. I mean it would be good if power went out, but I have a 5400 watt Craftsman here at the house for that so would just as soon lose the extra weight and $4000 to be honest.

Keep us up to date. I liked the look of it - and the glass wall between the living area and the garage gave a nice separation without feeling like it was closed in. We're still a way out from our next rig (although I did get the wife liking some of the front living fifth wheels), so I will live vicariously through you for now.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!