Mini cruises from New York

TikiBird

Proud PaPa
DW and I were thinking it would be wise for us to take a mini cruise, 3 days max, to see if we have the right stuff to be cruisers. I have been fine on ferrys and other boats but DW has had some problems. Figure 3 days we could get by if we did not feel so well. Has anyone ever cruised out of New York on a mini cruise? We have heard alot about mini cruises to Nova Scotia. Please feels free to make any suggestions, we really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!!

There is a MAJOR difference depending on the size of the ship. Some of the "mini cruises" are on ships considerably smaller & older than DCL so they don't have the stabilizers or size to help compensate for any rougher seas you may encounter. If you are considering this, make sure to compare "apples to apples".

why don't you try the Carnival cruise to Nova Scotia for 4 days, I think its a decent size ship. They also have a cruise to nowhere out of NY on Carnival. Don't know if its a booze cruise or not. But I think MMouse went on it and said it wasn't. (Think thats the one she went on)

Yep, I went on the Carnival Victory during the summer of 2000 when the ship was brand spanking new on a 2-night cruise to nowhere.

It was fabulous, it was not a booze cruise at all, but had every age from tots to senior citizens. The ship is beautiful in its own right. I very different decor than Disney but still nice.

If you do a cruise out of new york your options are really 4 or 5 nights to Canada/New England or one of the few 2-nighters that they have.

Carnival will once in awhile do a 2 or 3 nighter when they want to debut a new ship, which is why the ship was in New York when we went.

This year I believe Carnival had a 2-nighter about a week or so ago.

You can go to www.Carnival.com and check out upcoming sailings. I love cruising and this was a mini-vacation for 10 friends who all left there hubbies and kids behind for the weekend!!!

I would stay away from the Regal Empress that does the two night booze cruises....the ship is from the 1950's and it looks it!!! You really get a party crowd on that for the 2-nighters.

MJ

TikiBird,

Just some thoughts on cruising and motion sickness. My dh is VERY prone to motion sickness so I was very concerned about how well he would do on our first cruise. We were on the 3 day Wonder last Dec. and we prepared ourselves by having our dr prescribe the "patch" for both of us. We put the patch on behind our ear about an hour before we boarded the ship and although I could feel the movement of the ship the first night, especially while we were in the Gulf Stream, none of us became ill. I tried to fight the motion of the ship during dinner the first night and my dsis told me just to go with it which helped. It took us a little while to gain our sea legs but after that we were fine.

My dbil had a reaction to the patch and had to remove it after the first day. He had blurred vision and just did not feel right. He was ok once the effects wore off and it did not interfere with his trip. Next time, dsis will just give him bonine. My dh did fine and we enjoyed the cruise so much that I immediately booked a 7 day for this January!

I have spoken to several people that have cruised out of Boston to Bermuda and they said that the waters are very rough. I think it would be difficult to compare a northern Atlantic cruise to the smoother southern Atlantic/Carribean cruises.

Regardless, I am sure that you will love cruising. I NEVER had the desire to go even once and now it is all I can think about.

:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter