Mini foodie, theme park junkie in the making! Updated: 8/11 Skippers Canteen

Joining in on all of your dining adventures!!!

B7CEDFDF-134D-4BBC-A635-ABC5596464F9.jpeg
Oh this looks so good!!! I'm a sucker for any and all things burrata.

I had to change our plans a couple of times on this and found a reservation just a week before! I was so happy to find it and it was definitely worth it!!
Oh you give me hope. I'm trying to get one for 2 weeks from today hoping we can eat that amazing brunch again.

Chicken and toast was good too but chicken was not as crisp on the outside.
Oh sorry to hear this. I had it there in May and it was crispy and delicious

Ok, I’ll start by saying my son wanted to eat inside the castle. I thought it would be a great experience for him too so I went ahead and booked it.
I somehow was able to keep the fact that there even was a restaurant in the castle away from my daughter until just this last trip we went on. She of course asked about eating there but thankfully I told her its expensive and not good so unless she was paying we weren't going :earboy2: Im such a good mother

Seasonal Fruit for DS5- he wipes this out in 5 minutes! Loved the presentation! So cute! I’ve never seen a restaurant put such effort for fruit!

58326CE5-D88B-475D-B26A-734FFD1FB888.jpeg
This is perfection! I'm going to have to make something like this at home.

For my appetizers, I had the Kurobuta Pork Belly! I was debating between this and crispy oysters. I’m so glad I got this! Everything on the plate was great! The pork was melt in your mouth, yummy yummy yummy!!

57B41AD4-6212-4D5D-8D75-5C99DF2E05ED.jpeg
We've had this before and it is incredible. I do like the oysters better, but that is only because I'll take seafood over pork any day of the week.

DS got the shrimp scampi for his main. It looked nicely cooked but very plain. He liked it and ate most of it.

651D5A4B-325A-44AB-B473-8C86A54EF3A9.jpeg
Gotta say even for a kids meal that is pretty pathetic looking.

got the Sardinian Seafood Pasta. I loved the sauce in this! I would have licked the plate clean! Lol! (It did look like the plate was licked clean because the server who picked it up made a remark about how I didn’t like the dish! Lol!) Again, DS5 took some of my food- the lobster and a scallop!

A5DC03B8-A3B8-472B-9DD9-B3AD880D4960.jpeg
Thankfully for you this looks to be the exact opposite of your sons meal. Flying Fish wasn't on my radar for our next trip but I must have this pasta. It looks divine!

I'm loving your review! We will be at Disney next week and have booked many of the same restaurants you went to.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy those restaurants on your trip!

excellent review!!!

Thank you! 😊

Really enjoying this report! I'll also be staying at the YC this winter, and will be eating at many of the same places, so definitely looking forward to more reviews :)

Thanks and welcome! Ooh hope you enjoy YC this winter! It’s such a lovely resort!

Loving your reviews! We're eating at a lot of the same places next month!

Thanks!! Enjoy all that yummy food next month!! :cloud9:

Joining in on all of your dining adventures!!!

Oh this looks so good!!! I'm a sucker for any and all things burrata.

Oh you give me hope. I'm trying to get one for 2 weeks from today hoping we can eat that amazing brunch again.

Oh sorry to hear this. I had it there in May and it was crispy and delicious

I somehow was able to keep the fact that there even was a restaurant in the castle away from my daughter until just this last trip we went on. She of course asked about eating there but thankfully I told her its expensive and not good so unless she was paying we weren't going :earboy2: Im such a good mother

This is perfection! I'm going to have to make something like this at home.

We've had this before and it is incredible. I do like the oysters better, but that is only because I'll take seafood over pork any day of the week.

Gotta say even for a kids meal that is pretty pathetic looking.

Thankfully for you this looks to be the exact opposite of your sons meal. Flying Fish wasn't on my radar for our next trip but I must have this pasta. It looks divine!
Thanks for following!

Yes, the castle was mostly a mistake but at the very least he did get a sword at the end of the meal (oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention this! The server completely forgot to give my son a sword! We had to ask for it at the end of the meal). :confused3

The kids meals mostly look like that! Next time, I would probably just get him to share with me, which was my original plan! But then they gave him kids menus and he wanted his own plate. Lol! He loved most of the stuff he took from my plates though!

Loving your reviews so far. We are Disney food kindred spirits as Wine Bar George, Cali Grill Brunch and Flying Fish are in my top tier of favorites too. Sorry the CRT meal was a little rushed (and salty) but the experience of dining in the castle is really cool and something everyone should do at least once! Looking forward to more!! Oh and good call on the cab over to the Boardwalk to stay out of the rain... I don't think I would have been smart enough to think of that! But will be keeping it in mind for the future as I am often staying at the Epcot area resorts and dining at FF or one of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants.

Wine Bar George, CG Brunch and FF are also on my list for our next trip! That chocolate dessert....OMG!!!

Excellent reviews :) Can't wait to read the rest.

Day 4- Cape May Cafe breakfast

This day the plan was for us to go to the pool. I booked breakfast just for myself and DS5 since we had credits to spare. Since Cape May was close by and a character meal, I thought this would be a good idea. It’ll be our first time there and I heard good reviews on it! Unfortunately, I don’t have pictures of this buffet! I was busy trying to take pictures of characters, get food and watch my son! Whew! Haha! Initially, DH wasn’t coming with us but I’m glad DH was able to make this trip or I wouldn’t have had any pictures of food at all!

We got to the lobby and checked in. DS5 got to watch cartoons as it was right by BC’s lobby for those who have not been. This was nice especially if you have a long wait. We only did wait for 5 minutes so it wasn’t bad. We were seated right by the kitchen entrance and buffet. It seemed like a very busy spot as everyone was coming and going here. Not really relaxing. But for me, I liked the spot! Since it was right beside the buffet, I got some stuff where I can still see him! We had waffles, pancakes, frittata, sausage, egg, which all tasted good. Our server got me 2 pots of tea since she made a mistake on the first one. She also got DS5 a version of POG juice. He loved this and she actually gave him a cup to go! The spot we were in was where all the characters came in and out too. We met the characters a couple of times each which was nice. By the end of it though, my son was not really interested. He just wanted to go to the pool! :rolleyes:

All in all, it was a nice breakfast but I think I would have preferred Ale and compass to this. It’ll be a trend you’ll see in this report that character meals were all just ok.

We gave up on character meals a few years ago. I think Disney feels we should "forgive" some of the food quality in favor of the characters but I just want good food! Tusker House is the one exception we've made, but its even been a few years since we've been there. If you haven't tried it for breakfast The Wave is like half the price of a character meal but the food quality is 10 times better. It is a smaller buffet but I find the smallness just keeps it fresher

Loving your reviews so far. We are Disney food kindred spirits as Wine Bar George, Cali Grill Brunch and Flying Fish are in my top tier of favorites too. Sorry the CRT meal was a little rushed (and salty) but the experience of dining in the castle is really cool and something everyone should do at least once! Looking forward to more!! Oh and good call on the cab over to the Boardwalk to stay out of the rain... I don't think I would have been smart enough to think of that! But will be keeping it in mind for the future as I am often staying at the Epcot area resorts and dining at FF or one of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants.

So true about trying it at least once! I think that’s why I tried for more new stuff this trip too. It would be a while before we would return to CRT for sure.

Cab ride was great especially since it was raining had! Funny enough we took cabs about the same number of times as Uber (I wasn’t able to download Lyft before we left and I had my phone on airplane mode). Cabs generally were easier since we relied on Disney wifi and at times, Uber was more expensive too.
Wine Bar George, CG Brunch and FF are also on my list for our next trip! That chocolate dessert....OMG!!!

Excellent reviews :) Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks for following! That chocolate dessert was excellent especially for chocolate lovers!

We gave up on character meals a few years ago. I think Disney feels we should "forgive" some of the food quality in favor of the characters but I just want good food! Tusker House is the one exception we've made, but its even been a few years since we've been there. If you haven't tried it for breakfast The Wave is like half the price of a character meal but the food quality is 10 times better. It is a smaller buffet but I find the smallness just keeps it fresher
So true! I find that the character meals were very lacklustre... even the character interaction was sometimes just ok, a little hurried...

We have tried the wave 3 years ago and loved it!! (I imagine Ale and Compass to be similar which is why I said I would probably prefer that). Next time I would probably not too many character meals and just meet them in parks.

Day 3- Flying Fish

So it was raining hard by the time we got back to the hotel from Epcot. We tried to wait it out so we can take the boat to the boardwalk but it continued on and on and on until it was 15mins before our reservation. So... We took a cab! Lol! Tip: Uber was much more expensive than the cab at this time!

Arrived at Flying Fish and I was shivering inside! The AC was cranked up! Our server came to the table and I explained we were on the dining plan but wanted to pay out of pocket for DS5. He said that was the best way to use it! First server to tell us that!! I will say all of the servers we had this trip ranged from good to great! Our server this time was really awesome! Flying Fish is one of the few repeats we have from last trip (this and CG brunch were must do for us!)

Onto food!!

Seasonal Fruit for DS5- he wipes this out in 5 minutes! Loved the presentation! So cute! I’ve never seen a restaurant put such effort for fruit!

View attachment 420198

For my appetizers, I had the Kurobuta Pork Belly! I was debating between this and crispy oysters. I’m so glad I got this! Everything on the plate was great! The pork was melt in your mouth, yummy yummy yummy!!

View attachment 420199

DH got the Lobster Bisque- he really liked this too! He shared some with DS5 who liked it as well!

View attachment 420201

DS got the shrimp scampi for his main. It looked nicely cooked but very plain. He liked it and ate most of it.

View attachment 420204

I got the Sardinian Seafood Pasta. I loved the sauce in this! I would have licked the plate clean! Lol! (It did look like the plate was licked clean because the server who picked it up made a remark about how I didn’t like the dish! Lol!) Again, DS5 took some of my food- the lobster and a scallop!

View attachment 420202

DH got the Wagyu Filet Mignon. He had it cooked medium. (He usually likes it well done, lol!) he absolutely loved it! Love all of it! The risotto, the steak, the veggie, the sauce were all great! I took a piece of steak and it was very tender and flavourful!

View attachment 420203

By this point we were full but could not resist dessert! Our server said Cocoa Breach was his absolute most favorite chocolate dessert so we went with that! It was amazing! They poured the sauce to make that indentation on the cake. I think it’s similar to a lava cake. It was very dense and rich. I loved it! DH and DS5 ate all the ice cream but I ate most of the cake. :cloud9:

View attachment 420205

Overall, I really like this restaurant and will probably be one of the ones we will always come back to. Food and service were both top notch. I love the ambiance too!
Any chance the sauce on the pasta IS the lobster bisque?! They look the same! Great review, that pork sounds incredible.

Last edited:
Day 4- Morimoto lunch

After breakfast, we went to SAB and enjoyed the shallow pool with the sand and the one right beside it. We just stayed for an hour and a half because it was blazing hot! It’s a nice pool but very spread out! I actually preferred Poly’s pool. Funny enough it’s because I thought it was more kid friendly due to size and the slide they had!

After the pool, we headed to Disney Springs. We checked into Morimoto at 12:30 and was surprised at how empty the restaurant was. We got seated somewhere close to the entrance. It’s a beautiful restaurant, I really liked the decor. I was excited about this choice since we needed our Asian food fix (lol, DH and I are both Asian and love Asian food). I did express some concern about choosing this restaurant initially but thought it got a lot of great reviews.

We got greeted by our server who was professional... but somehow his attitude was not as friendly? We told him that we were on the deluxe plan but wanted to pay for my son out of pocket. We ordered our drinks, appetizers and mains.

Our server recommended the Shirayuri (white lily). This was sudachi shochu with Yuzu. It was quite strong but it didn’t really have the Yuzu taste in it.

57C1BB97-4978-475B-B6C3-CA6FBF7D31AC.jpeg

DH got the Lychee Soda which was great! I had a sip and wished I ordered this instead!
E7D399EA-9C5B-4E48-AF73-E3FF7CE9C103.jpeg

Spicy tuna roll- ok, nothing special...

05F34529-4100-42D0-8495-DA722D913708.jpeg

This was good and very tender. I thought it had too much breading though. I know a lot of people rave about this dish and maybe my expectations were too high.

74071259-8142-4F89-A56B-135645EC4D12.jpeg

Kids’s Menu- mini ramen with pork, again it was just ok, DS5 ate about a third of it. He’s eaten more from my bowl at a ramen place here in Toronto so I didn’t think it was that good.

59F31AEB-AEAF-4E5A-8409-4B2F3204FBEF.jpeg

Buri Bop. Again this was ok but fell short of expectation. The server (not our main server) came over and explained the dish to me while he cooked the hamachi. At the end, he said Morimoto cooked this in a challenge he lost. It was interesting to hear about when the dish was conceptualized! I love the show iron chef so I liked that the server added this tidbit of information. The fish was cooked nicely but the flavour was bland. This was supposed to be similar to bibimbap but there was not enough flavour and vegetable in this dish.

D8AE09DF-973F-45B7-8451-95CA6E8980AB.jpeg

Morimoto Gomoku fried rice- DH has this and was not impressed. It tasted like take out fried rice with a little sambal sauce on top

EAE919C8-E9DE-42DD-948E-66B50358820F.jpeg

Ok, here’s where it gets a little annoying with the server. I mentioned that I told the server we essentially wanted to use 2 credits only. He mentioned that my son could order from the adult menu and I corrected him. So before ordering desserts, DS5 and I went to the washroom. Our server talked to DH about dessert and told him DS could order from the adults menu. So he ordered 3 desserts- the
Melon cream soda float, Mochi Mochi and the Churro Fondue. I really wished we clarified again before ordering because as usual this is wrong, which I will see in the bill later.

Melon Cream soda float was good, mochi mochi had a weird texture but was ok, churros was not good, over cooked.

8E80C30D-92C6-4379-87A8-037D6C7F4F2F.jpeg9F940C32-3D8C-4661-8B4C-36FB06359855.jpeg903E4EC1-9C30-4150-8670-B1DD90DF9CB1.jpeg

This seemed like a very long meal- timing was a little off. It seemed like our server was there when we didn’t need him and not there when we needed something. I asked for the bill and waited maybe 10mins for it. Then he came over and said he charged me 3 credits but he will fix it with his manager. It was another 10mins before he came back saying he can’t fix it, we needed to sign for the 3 credits and pay for my son’s meal and the additional dessert. He would call the hotel (he asked for my name and resort name) and they would refund me my additional credit. Maybe this was the only solution but I really hated the way it was presented. It was not that it was handled badly, it was more of that the server made us feel it was such an inconvenience to him.

All in all, this was one of the restaurants I was disappointed in. Maybe it’s because I’ve had better here in Toronto or back in Asia... maybe it’s my own expectations... either way, I may give it a second chance but not for a long time.

Oh yes, I had to go to the front desk and have them refund me my one credit back. They accepted my word for it but they never had records of the restaurant calling.

Hello there all! Me, DH and DS5 just came home after a 8 day trip filled with yummy food and lots of new experiences! So a little background, I am the planner of course and have been stalking these boards since my son was born, planning his very first trip to Disney! :rotfl: Now 5 years after, will be his 2nd trip to WDW and a mini foodie in the making!

I like split stays so this trip, we stayed at Yacht Club with the deluxe dining plan for our first 4 nights and Polynesian w/o dining plan for the last 4 nights.

List of meals:
Day 1- Arrival night
Dinner: Wine Bar George

Day 2- MK
Brunch: California Grill
Dinner: Cinderella’s Royal Table

Day 3- DHS/ Epcot
Breakfast- EMM*
Lunch- Garden Grill
Dinner- Flying Fish

Day 4- DS / AK
Breakfast- Cape May Cafe
Lunch- Morimoto
Dinner- Tiffins

Day 5- DHS
Lunch- Hollywood and Vine
Dinner- Jaleo

Day 6- AK/ MK
Lunch: Yak and Yeti
Dinner: Skippers

Day 7- DS/ Epcot/ DHS
Lunch- T-Rex
Dinner- Takumi Tei

Day 8- Epcot/ MK
Breakfast- Ohana
Dinner- Storybook Dining at Artist Point

Day 9- MK
Lunch- BOG

Obviously a lot of food! Lol! First review will be on the next post!

Edit to add: Totally forgot my son and I did Cape May Cafe breakfast but no pictures! Such a bad foodie!
What car service did you use. we are headed to the BC in a couple of weeks and looking for a good service!

Sorry to read about your Morimoto meal! We ate there in January and loved it and are going back in a couple weeks with some DIS friends :love: Maybe it's just what you're used to and more fussy about; it sounded like me critiquing Disney's Italian food lol. We also did Cape May breakfast for the first time over July 4th and were surprisingly impressed! My boys are teens so we don't do many character meals anymore :worship: but DS13 sometimes requests one and this fit in. We thought the food was really good and there were a couple different items we hadn't seen elsewhere like the crepes and blueberry pancakes. For what we care the characters were good too! But I agree with @kastoney the Wave is much less $$ and except for our last visit the food is just as good with a bit more variety.

Thank you!!! What did you think about Storybook?

I actually really liked Storybook, it was the best character meal we had this trip!

Wow well Morimoto is offically off my list

Service might have been a fluke and good might be because of what I’m used to or our menu choices . I think it’s good to give things a try if you do like something in the menu. :)

Sorry to read about your Morimoto meal! We ate there in January and loved it and are going back in a couple weeks with some DIS friends :love: Maybe it's just what you're used to and more fussy about; it sounded like me critiquing Disney's Italian food lol. We also did Cape May breakfast for the first time over July 4th and were surprisingly impressed! My boys are teens so we don't do many character meals anymore :worship: but DS13 sometimes requests one and this fit in. We thought the food was really good and there were a couple different items we hadn't seen elsewhere like the crepes and blueberry pancakes. For what we care the characters were good too! But I agree with @kastoney the Wave is much less $$ and except for our last visit the food is just as good with a bit more variety.

I did see your review before and thought it was great! It might really be what I’m used to or just the expectation.... hope you enjoy your next trip there!

I think if my son was not so excited for swimming, Cape May might have been a little more enjoyable! Haha! We don’t go to WDW often so next time we’ll have to try some new things again. :)

What a terrific report, thank you! Looking forward to more!

Thanks! More to come today! I slacked off last week because of work! Lol!

We are eating at a lot of the same places in October, and we only decided to cancel and replace our Morimoto reservation last week. Following along :)

Thanks for following along! :) ooohh October for food and wine! That would be awesome

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!