Mini-Review: Jungle Navigation Company, LTD. Skipper's Canteen

colbyseider

Earning My Ears
We were in Orlando for the Megacon, Comic Book convention and we decided to pop into MK for dinner and a couple of rides.

Skipper's Canteen was a new-to-us restaurant and it was a definite treat. The menu is South Pacific inspired with a few curry based dishes. Prior to writing this review, I tried finding other reviews of this place and found that the reviews were not favorable. My experience was different as I found the food to be tasty and the atmosphere an extension of the famous Jungle Cruise. Further, we were told as we were leaving that many of the artifacts on display came from the Pleasure Island Adventurer's Club, a place I enjoyed years ago.

To the food specifically: my daughter and I shared the Falafel appetizer; 5 fried falafel balls with a decent amount of hummus and thinly sliced radishes. This was really delicious and had a spice level that let you know it was there but was not overwhelming.

After the appy, DD had the Seafood Stew and I had the Char Siu Pork.

Ok, so maybe DD did not choose wisely as she did not fully enjoy her meal as much as I enjoyed mine. I am pretty sure she did not like the mussels and she said the calamari were a bit tough. This dish also had shrimp, scallops, a prawn, and some octopus chunks. The stew was a little spicy with a coconut curry flavor.

My pork was very nicely cooked and flavored. It included three nicely sized slices of pork and three smaller chunks making it pretty substantial in that manner. The pork was flavored in a sesame soy glaze that was not overly salty and imparted a nice flavor to the meat. Where the dish fell apart was the single stalk of Chinese broccoli and a small scoop of steamed rice. In my humble opinion, either a second stalk of broccoli or a stir fry of mixed vegetables and about 50% more rice would have made this dish much better. Don't get me wrong, I didn't leave hungry. But, it seemed chintzy to me.

So overall, our experience was positive but there is room for improvement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter