Minion Mayhem potentially removing 3D

Yea the Shrek attraction has some ok moments but it is a very outdated attraction with minimal effects, and the fact that it was just a dvd extra that got some plusses around it to make an attraction really lessen it. Go to the parks to experience something I can't at home. And watching it at home in 3D isn't that different of an experience.
Seems like such a large space to waste on what it is. Hope it gets removed for a new dark ride or something. REally hope the SLoP ride or something will got here. Can make it kind of an Illumination courtyard area with it being next to DM:MH

Yea the Shrek attraction has some ok moments but it is a very outdated attraction with minimal effects, and the fact that it was just a dvd extra that got some plusses around it to make an attraction really lessen it. Go to the parks to experience something I can't at home. And watching it at home in 3D isn't that different of an experience.
Seems like such a large space to waste on what it is. Hope it gets removed for a new dark ride or something. REally hope the SLoP ride or something will got here. Can make it kind of an Illumination courtyard area with it being next to DM:MH

I read elsewhere that the current rumour is that a SLoP dark ride is being planned to either replace Shrek or be put where the Toon Lagoon Theatre is now.

I rode the one at USH today, and it was terrific. I missed *nothing* with it being 2D, and the storyline was cute and integrated with the old one, and I almost didn’t notice the difference.

The big thing I *did* notice was that I never had to avert my eyes because I was feeling slightly sick, which was very nice.

Now, I’ll state that I find 3D attractions to be a bore. Eyes and brains that can see 3D will turn movies into an approximation of 3D anyway, so it’s just flat out gimmicky for movies and attractions to do it. I don’t mind Shrek because that’s the whole point of the ride. And Kung Fu Panda at USH of atrocious because it’s an awful storyline (and there’s no more flogging in the preshow), so I really don’t want to have that changed.

But minions today was very good.

Just came back Thursday and I liked the 3D a lot, from what little I saw of it. The woman in front of me kept on reaching up to grab the 3D objects which of course blocked my view of a lot of the 3D effects. :headache: Interesting to note that her kids did not do this.

I can understand the potential reason of "children not wanting to wear glasses", as it is not generally children I do not believe, but the much younger children that go onto this ride more often, which is why it is a reported issue on this ride, as oppose to other 3D element rides who do not have the same audience. Even though I still believe that it's more of a good thing than a bad thing and maybe even though it's few compared to most who do not mind the glasses, it maybe enough of the "few" to believe it's best to eliminate it all together to keep those few happy (especially if that's their target audience).

I would think a more logical explanation (if we didn't get that reason) would be the fact that 3D potentially lessens the likelihood of motion sickness. I only thought of this, as the other FJ around the world added 3D, only to eliminate it when they noticed the motion sickness reports increased.

I do have to say it would be a shame if it was removed. As a lot of the wow factor I do believe is the 3D elements of the ride and is the only reason why I'd ridden it the few times I had, as I was a big fan of Jimmy Neutron. Jimmy may have been 2D, but was designed to have that wow factor with it only being a 2D film and would have definitely been aped up if it was 3D on top of it.

I would think a more logical explanation (if we didn't get that reason) would be the fact that 3D potentially lessens the likelihood of motion sickness. I only thought of this, as the other FJ around the world added 3D, only to eliminate it when they noticed the motion sickness reports increased.

I don't know that I necessarily think this would be the key reason as The Simpson's Ride is not 3D, and it is often brought up in comments as the ride that gives the most motion sickness to park goers.

I don't know that I necessarily think this would be the key reason as The Simpson's Ride is not 3D, and it is often brought up in comments as the ride that gives the most motion sickness to park goers.

Simpsons is very aggressive, which is probably why.

The debate on whether 3D makes it worse, or not for rides is debatable. It was merely a suggestion. There isn't enough evidence, or examples to back it up. However, it's just something I thought of since 3D was added on FJ when created at other locations, other than for it to be taken away due to allegedly having increased reports of motion sickness compared to ours. This would be the only example, or evidence of it possibly being a contributing factor, as we know all FJs are the same, except for the 3D element.

I dont think making it 2D will hurt it that much.

I don't know why they are considering the change, but whatever they decide, I think it will still be a fun ride.

I do hate having to wear the glasses, so I guess I would prefer a 2D and to be honest, I don't get that much extra thrill out of 3D stuff.

The debate on whether 3D makes it worse, or not for rides is debatable. It was merely a suggestion. There isn't enough evidence, or examples to back it up. However, it's just something I thought of since 3D was added on FJ when created at other locations, other than for it to be taken away due to allegedly having increased reports of motion sickness compared to ours. This would be the only example, or evidence of it possibly being a contributing factor, as we know all FJs are the same, except for the 3D element.

We could listen to people who have been on both versions of both rides.

Here. I’ll go first.

FJ with 3D at USH was horrid. Barfy and gross. It was also difficult to really focus.

FJ with 2D at USH and UO is nowhere near as barfy. And it’s not gross. I can focus.

Minions with 3D is difficult and can get barfy and I spend time with my eyes closed. There are many aspects of it that aren’t “wow” but are gimmicky. The screen isn’t in focus the whole time.

Minions with 2D as I just experienced on Saturday has a slightly changed storyline, is very good, isn’t barfy at all, I spent NO time with my eyes closed, and barely even noticed the slightly different storyline. And it was all crisp and clear visually.

I’m the same person. I’ve experienced them. And there’s a very good difference going to 2D.

I am highly against change in general, but these changes are GOOD.

We could listen to people who have been on both versions of both rides.

Here. I’ll go first.

FJ with 3D at USH was horrid. Barfy and gross. It was also difficult to really focus.

FJ with 2D at USH and UO is nowhere near as barfy. And it’s not gross. I can focus.

Minions with 3D is difficult and can get barfy and I spend time with my eyes closed. There are many aspects of it that aren’t “wow” but are gimmicky. The screen isn’t in focus the whole time.

Minions with 2D as I just experienced on Saturday has a slightly changed storyline, is very good, isn’t barfy at all, I spent NO time with my eyes closed, and barely even noticed the slightly different storyline. And it was all crisp and clear visually.

I’m the same person. I’ve experienced them. And there’s a very good difference going to 2D.

I am highly against change in general, but these changes are GOOD.

Thank you for your input. It's interesting hearing the perspective of someone that had the ability to travel and has experienced both.

Out of curiosity, you state there is a change in storyline, but it's slight, just curious in exactly what has changed?

I wonder if the decision has anything to do with the "USO has too many 3D screen rides!" comments. Probably not, but I do wonder. Of course, if that is true, my preferred solution would be to go forward with a series of non-3D-Screen rides. Hagrid's Motorbike promises to be a great start to that!

I wonder if the decision has anything to do with the "USO has too many 3D screen rides!" comments. Probably not, but I do wonder. Of course, if that is true, my preferred solution would be to go forward with a series of non-3D-Screen rides. Hagrid's Motorbike promises to be a great start to that!

It's refreshing to see that the Potter section while has screen elements to some of their rides does also seem to be focusing on trying to do a little more than just that. FJ when it first came out was amazing refreshing and still a favorite of mine. While there was screens, most of the time you were seeing constructed sets, or AAs. It's one thing to have a 3D image come out at you, it's another to have a physical Dementor in your face.

In all rides relating to screens in the Potter world, it's clear that the reasoning for them is simply to bring the physical characters to life. Universal isn't know for their human AAs, but Hagrid's coaster seems to be a step to changing that.

Also, the new T2 replacement is rumored to be focused more on stunt work than the original show, so Universal might be slowly trying to use less 3D (as I doubt they'll never get rid of it entirely, exhibit A, the newly opened Fast Furious).

If they want one less 3D “kids” attraction, make it Shrek. I don’t feel the 3D is nearly as immersive as it is in Minions. Shrek feels like a film that was converted to 3D whereas Minions feels like it was designed for 3D. The actions in the film are excellent for 3D, with all the running, bouncing, wide views, and the coaster ride at the end. Perhaps they should stop making all new attractions into screen based 3D rides. Though I dislike how many screen rides there are, Minions- in 3D- is one of the best in my opinion.
We heard Shrek is going away while we were there. We were told it will become How to Train Your Dragon. (Unconfirmed rumor as far as I know).

It's refreshing to see that the Potter section while has screen elements to some of their rides does also seem to be focusing on trying to do a little more than just that. FJ when it first came out was amazing refreshing and still a favorite of mine. While there was screens, most of the time you were seeing constructed sets, or AAs. It's one thing to have a 3D image come out at you, it's another to have a physical Dementor in your face.

In all rides relating to screens in the Potter world, it's clear that the reasoning for them is simply to bring the physical characters to life. Universal isn't know for their human AAs, but Hagrid's coaster seems to be a step to changing that.

Also, the new T2 replacement is rumored to be focused more on stunt work than the original show, so Universal might be slowly trying to use less 3D (as I doubt they'll never get rid of it entirely, exhibit A, the newly opened Fast Furious).

To add to this post, the whole "screens" debate I feel is a bit misguided. Rides that use screens in an immersive and blended manner with other great parts of the attraction that are one part of an overall great experience (like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, Transformers) I welcome with open arms and would be fine if they added more attractions like them.

I think it's the abundant addition of what I call "Lazy" screen based attractions (where it's pretty much just a screen with motion seats) that turned people angry towards even the mention of a screen in a ride. Fallon and F&F (and to a lesser extent, Kong but this still has some blending of practical sets + the awesome Kong AA at the end) were added one year after the other with each one getting progressively worse that had people in an uproar. They were lazy/uninspired attractions and people got sick of them.

Now the word "screen" is so toxic I fear that we won't get new attractions that are unique like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman or Transformers (at Universal at least, Disney seems to be ok for now with newer additions like FOP, Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance coming soon) for fear of the public backlash if there happens to be a screen as a smaller (but well executed) part of the ride.

Dun Dun Dunnn...

Do we know if it has a "slight" change of storyline as @bumbershoot reported the other version of having, or it's the same thing only no 3D element? I would imagine the storyline would have to change a little bit, or at least the pre-show, considering the pre-show consisted of talking a lot about the googles which would be useless now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter