Minion Mayhem potentially removing 3D

Dun Dun Dunnn...

Do we know if it has a "slight" change of storyline as @bumbershoot reported the other version of having, or it's the same thing only no 3D element? I would imagine the storyline would have to change a little bit, or at least the pre-show, considering the pre-show consisted of talking a lot about the googles which would be useless now.

From what I've read, the pre-show has changed and removed mention of the "Minion Goggles", but the ride's video is the same (just not in 3D).

From what I've read, the pre-show has changed and removed mention of the "Minion Goggles", but the ride's video is the same (just not in 3D).

Makes sense. I had a feeling the film itself wouldn't change, but I had a feeling they'd have to change the pre-show a little bit, which would technically change the storyline a little bit.

Interesting. Minions is the only ride anywhere that has ever caused me any motion sickness. 3D can cause motion sickness if the two shifted images that create the effect are not perfectly shifted. Some people are sensitive to that. It will be interesting to see the 2D version.

Here now, rode yesterday morning and can confirm no more 3d goggles. The bin was missing and so was the goggle bit from the pre show. However, the ride was just fine. It still looked 3d if that makes sense. The animation was great and still felt 3d without the glasses. My middle daughter is sensitive to 3d motion and usually just tolerates this one to ride with the family and because she loves Minions. She said she liked this way so much better! She said it still felt 3d but without the bad feeling she usually gets. My whole family thought it still looked pretty good for no glasses!

Here now, rode yesterday morning and can confirm no more 3d goggles. The bin was missing and so was the goggle bit from the pre show. However, the ride was just fine. It still looked 3d if that makes sense. The animation was great and still felt 3d without the glasses. My middle daughter is sensitive to 3d motion and usually just tolerates this one to ride with the family and because she loves Minions. She said she liked this way so much better! She said it still felt 3d but without the bad feeling she usually gets. My whole family thought it still looked pretty good for no glasses!

While I am not a huge fan of the Minions (just generally, never watched any of the films and I've only been on it twice) I might do it again once I get AP again just out of curiosity.

She said it still felt 3d but without the bad feeling she usually gets.

:)
Most of us translate 2D into 3D, so it does indeed still feel 3D without the silly gimmicky feeling of it all.
And this way those who can't see like that won't have to tolerate a blurry screen, and can experience it like a normal movie. win win, IMO.

When I saw it at USH over Mother's Day I *swear* they didn't mention the adoption day stuff. There's not all the gift-giving storyline. But it's possible that USH didn't have that storyline to begin with. It's why I was vague in my response, because I couldn't remember USH vs UO storyline.

I agree this is one ride where it loses points by converting to 2D. I’d wager comments from a minority of users helped support a decision that saves $$$. No glasses means fewer people to staff the ride, no glasses to clean, and 2D projection is cheaper.

I agree this is one ride where it loses points by converting to 2D. I’d wager comments from a minority of users helped support a decision that saves $$$. No glasses means fewer people to staff the ride, no glasses to clean, and 2D projection is cheaper.

While it is a plus to some who cannot handle motion sickness, or 3D elements, as someone who doesn't have those issues, I do have to admit that a lot of it's punch will be lost without the 3D element, but it will be interesting to see how entertaining it will be without the 3D element (for me). Jimmy Neutron was a favorite of mine, however, not only I was a fan of the character, as well as the other characters in the ride, but it was also created and intended for 2D.

Either way, regardless, the ride will be just as popular I'm sure. It will take awhile for them to replace this one, especially since it seems they just keep popping out new movies to feature these characters.

While it is a plus to some who cannot handle motion sickness, or 3D elements, as someone who doesn't have those issues, I do have to admit that a lot of it's punch will be lost without the 3D element, but it will be interesting to see how entertaining it will be without the 3D element (for me). Jimmy Neutron was a favorite of mine, however, not only I was a fan of the character, as well as the other characters in the ride, but it was also created and intended for 2D.

Either way, regardless, the ride will be just as popular I'm sure. It will take awhile for them to replace this one, especially since it seems they just keep popping out new movies to feature these characters.
I think it’s position as you walk in guarantees it will remain popular. Our kids love it and we typically do it every time we enter the park.

I think it’s position as you walk in guarantees it will remain popular. Our kids love it and we typically do it every time we enter the park.

While it helps perhaps, I'm sure if Minions was anywhere else it would be just as popular. While Jimmy Neutron was a favorite to a lot of guests, it didn't get the wait times that Minions get on average and Shrek which is across from Minions doesn't have nearly the same wait times.

We rode the 2D version of Minions at Universal Hollywood last week. To us, it was a huge downgrade, and it now feels much more like watching a movie than an immersive experience. Very disappointing, and it is certainly no longer on our "must do" list.

Just registered to say it's sad. It's been two years i havent been to Universal. I was surprised not seeing the glasses rack this morning... then i checked on my phone and discovered 3d had been removed. My 13 year old son and i found it terrible, so much lack of immersion. My 11 year old son and 8 year old girl found it... great as always... i think they are small and hate glasses that fall from their head (my little girl lost the glasses during gringott this morning lol, or not lol).

I learned that fast and furious supercharged suffered the same fate but as i hadnt seen it already it was a short and OK show but i wondered how it would have looked with 3D. Anyway, Minions were bad and my kids will have to ask me to see it again in the next days whereas they were forced to go when it was 3d lol.

I learned that fast and furious supercharged suffered the same fate but as i hadnt seen it already it was a short and OK show but i wondered how it would have looked with 3D. Anyway, Minions were bad and my kids will have to ask me to see it again in the next days whereas they were forced to go when it was 3d lol.

Wait a minute... I'm not a fan of FaF, but you're saying that is showing in 2D at the moment as well?

Wait a minute... I'm not a fan of FaF, but you're saying that is showing in 2D at the moment as well?
No 3D yeah. I read that for Orlando it has never been in 3D. It's a lot like the king kong ride but shorter and without 3D

Just resurrecting this thread as Universal has now officially removed 3D from Minions last week.
The ride at uo was 3D
Now it’s not

Just in case peeps don’t read the entire thread thought I would repost tommyJK post with the info that was posted in July

I’ll never ride it again.

Went on it this trip.....first time since it changed to 2D. While it was 3D I could ride this many times over. I can also do FJ, SpiderMan and Gringotts.

I can’t do Simpsons or Transformers, knocks me bad.

Minions wasn’t just as bad as Simpsons for me, but I came off feeling decidedly woozy and equilibrium wasn’t right.

So, for me it’s a no from now on. I’m sad about that as we loved that ride.

I'm sorry to hear that @schumigirl. It wasn't a personal favorite for mine, but it's sad to hear when others favor a ride and then a change is done to the ride that makes that guest not want to ride it again due to issues like that, or feel it's been degraded.

I guess I'm in the minority. Never been a fan of 3D movies or rides. It failed in the 50s, 80s and now 10s. I'm sure it'll be back in the 40s. ;)

I only really notice anything when I first put the glasses on, after that, it's not that much different. Like someone mentioned earlier, your brain converts 2D images to 3D automatically, so I don't notice much of a difference in how immersive something is once that initial period is over. Resolution is far more important to the quality of the 3D your brain delivers than the 3D effects are. If any of you saw the reference demo material for 4K - or even HDTV when it first came out - you noticed that the clarity made it seem you could reach in and grab something out of your TV. I'm guessing, at least for me, that any gains you get from 3D glasses, are offset by the lessened resolution delivered to your brain due to the shuttering of images between your left and right eye.

As far as the ride goes, if it were just me, I could go either way. But because my grandchildren feel a ride is much scarier with the glasses, and they are too anxious to ride Minions, I'm thrilled with the change.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority. Never been a fan of 3D movies or rides. It failed in the 50s, 80s and now 10s. I'm sure it'll be back in the 40s. ;)

I only really notice anything when I first put the glasses on, after that, it's not that much different. Like someone mentioned earlier, your brain converts 2D images to 3D automatically

Not everyone does adjust though.......and that’s where the issue is for us that do notice a change........I had no motion issues at all with Minions when it was 3D........now, it’s not fun.

I enjoy the 3D rides like FJ and have no issues on them......2D rides, I just can’t do.

I’m glad though your grandkids can now ride it, for kids it’s such a cute ride.......hope they enjoy it....... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter