Missing the Magic - Need your feedback

tbee407

Mouseketeer
I am divorced. In my previous life, my ex-wife, kids and I visited the WDW once or twice a year for 20 years. I am been divorced for more than four years. After the divorce, I couldn't afford a trip to Disney. Fast forward to today, I am engaged to someone so is wonderful!. She is a dream come true. We have so much in common. One area where we don't share a common interest is WDW. It has been five years since I have been to the parks. When I have suggested a trip to WDW she usually says "it will be fun someday when we can take the grandkids." Well, as of right now we don't have grandkids and I hope for the sake of my children it is several years away as they are not ready to be parents. I also sense she may be hesitant because Disney played a big part in my previous life with my ex-wife. I miss WDW. I think if we did a trip she would enjoy it too.

My question is.....

What are some ideas/tips you can give me to warm her up to the idea of an adults-only trip for the two of us?

Thank you!

There are so many adults-only opportunities at Disney. Wine and Dine is one of my favorites. When we go adults only, we make a little theme of it - like we want to try all of the desserts. Or at least one alcoholic drink from each location (which results in sharing!)

Maybe less ride focused and more show focused? Or also behind the scenes tours.

As the PP said, there are a myriad of adults-only options available. The Backstage Magic tour is a particularly great option, though it hasn't been announced when tours are going to resume. There are so many great restaurants and bars to check out. At most of the higher-end restaurants, I haven't really seen too many kids around (California Grill, Topolino's Terrace, etc.). Then you've got Jelly Roll's on the Boardwalk, and so many other great places to check out.

Hmmm, there a couple different things you mentioned there. One that perked my ears , or eyes, was “ I also sense she may be hesitant because Disney played a big part in my previous life with my ex-wife.” That may be a tough one and a sensitive one, as there is fact in the statement,
One of the many things I love about Walt Disney World is there are so, so many different experiences and adventures to be had, some at a notable price, of course :)
What does she like ? Foodie, golfer, outdoors person, nightlife, information junkie ... I would try to plan this proposed adventure around the theme or things that makes her smile Or things she never gets to experience, verses your old favorites that you may reminisce about. Also things you have never done or experienced before, so they are new and become Collective new memories that only the two of you share together.
My solo Disney experiences are completely different now in how I approach planing than my accompanied ones. I too had a 17 year marriage that had many different Disney adventures. After that life change, I had to rethink solo and make these new trips ‘my’ trips.

Romantic trips to Disney are amazing, if that is something she enjoys. It will be much easier to plan one of those when the resort get back in full swing, whenever that is :)
Highway in the Sky Dine around is really fun

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/highway-in-the-sky-dine-around/
If you find yourself with a pocket full of money, chartering the Grand 1 is really a romantic treat

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/specialty-cruises/
I am Not sure where you are traveling from, or how easy travel is, but I have done a Disney weekend. Perhaps after you have thought through what your partner may enjoy, and if a short stay is an option , plan a quick getaway that lets her have ‘an’ experience , one that does not require her to commit to run the full Disney gauntlet , and she what happens.

Good Luck !

Maybe suggest a Disney cruise, which will still have the Disney magic, but not the association with past trips in your previous life (I'm assuming you didn't cruise as you didn't mention it). It would be a new Disney experience for you two to explore together & make your own memories. Disney cruises have adult-only restaurants, game shows, bars & pool deck, and even an adult-only beach on their private island, Castaway Cay.

Once she sees the Disney quality product & has had a great bonding experience with you on that trip, she might open up to a parks trip, or at least to adding a few park days to a future short cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Congratulations on your engagement! You're very blessed to have found someone & it sounds like you're a caring man who deserves it.

Last edited:
Well, I for one, am all in for this Highway in the Sky Dine Around event! WOW! I hadn't heard of it before-I sure hope it comes back eventually. Our Oct. 2021 is on hold for now...but we will reschedule at some point.
We are 2 adults who enjoy a Disney trip. Play to her interests-for us it staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a view of a savanna. And great dining/wine pairing experiences, both in the resorts and at Epcot. We book one of the special safari experiences through AKL. Or, If she is into spa treatments-choose a resort with a great spa and pool area! So many things to do in WDW..

Go with someone else. Or at least suggest you might accommodate her feelings by doing so. Seriously, she may not appreciate that your desire to go to WDW is actual and not some sort of pro-forma suggestion for her benefit. Offering to go without her lets her know that it is something you want to do because you like to do it.

I agree with PP, go on a solo trip or with friends. In a relationship you dont have to do everything together. If she isn't interested, that doesn't mean that you cannot go.

What is your objective? Do you want to go because you miss Disney, or to create memories together?

There are other options like Disneyland or a cruise, if her main concern is to compete with your memories. But you cannot start any successful persuasion, if you do not have a clear picture on why she doesn't want to. Ask her what her perfect holiday looks like and see how Disney can fit.

If that doesn't help: solo or friends trip.

Last edited:
Be honest with her! Let her know of your Disney love in no uncertain terms and that you'd love to share it with her. Even if it isn't something she would enjoy on her own she should find joy in it because you do. Im not saying you go together three times a year, but hopefully she's open to attending with you every few years or so. And as the others mentioned show her the adult side of Disney with the amazing, shows, dining, resorts, spas and shopping.

You need to be open minded. One compromise is if she goes to Disney World with you then she gets to pick a vacation that you agree to, as well.

From your post, she may have the idea that Disney World is only for kids like grandkids. You may want to show her some Disney videos; so, she will see another side of Disney for adults. Use U-tube and Disney has video, as well. I think you need to educate her a little more about the parks.

Also, you need to find out if rides get her sick. Some people don't handle roller coasters or 3-D rides very well. See if she will go to a more local amusement park and see how that goes. Explain to her that Disney is more than rides as others have already described. Then, you may have to decide do you like Disney World enough not to just do ride after ride.

Right now, I really think I would hold off because of the virus and wait until later in 2021 or even 2022 to go to Disney World. There will be more to do hopefully. We may get to the point where masks won't be required, for example.

Go during a special time like the Christmas holidays for the Candlelight Processional and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, for example.

I would see if mixing it up with Universal, SeaWorld or other places may help her like the idea better, too.

Perhaps limit your Disney park time to shorter days.

I really think you need to do more homework and have more discussions with her to see if you can figure this out better. Don't let it come between you.

Last edited:
Perhaps a combo trip is in order. Maybe a disney/universal, or a disney/beach, or a disney/ anything that peaks her interest. That way you can let her have input into half of the trip. Once you get her to disney, maybe she will see why you love it so much. And, like others have said, focus on more adult things like the fine dining(hopefully highway in the sky will return), or tours (savor the savanna or Wanyama Safari are two great options But Wanyama includes a great dinner at jiko), even a spa treatment or two. We like making a discovery cove day away from disney and lines to relax mid trip.

I'm going solo next February (hopefully - booked but coronavirus strikes again) for the first time and I'm looking forward to not dashing about to get on all the attractions. I'll go on some, but I'm also going to every show in every park, I'll go in every shop in every park and without being rushed, or feeling guilty. I love to explore the resorts for dining and looking around the shops in each to see what unique items they sell. I can eat in places that don't have to sell burger and fries. I don't drink alcohol in WDW but I read many great reviews on all the lounges in the resorts for a cocktail or two.

What does she like to do? Incorporate that.
Shopping? Take her to Disney Springs
Camping? Fort Wilderness campfire sing along can be attended by anyone not just people staying at FW
Horseback riding? Tricircle D ranch has horseback riding
Scuba diving? There’s that, too, somewhere... I saw it and wanted to do it but I never seem to work it in.
She might not know how great the food is at the the fancy dining options around the place... Sana’a, Flying Fish, Morimoto Asia, Toledo
I concur with others that you can mix it up with other local options. Beaches, Space Rockets at Cape Canaveral...
You can even take a few hours to go swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove.
Now that we’re toting around a little one, I miss the opportunity to do the adult stuff, like the many great lounges around property, and drinking around the world at EPCOT.
Cirque du Soleil was just about to open their new show when the pandemic hit. Take her to that. Not cheap, but worth it if that’s the thing that brings her around! Good luck!

The possibilities abound.

Last edited:
So I can only share my experience - 1st husband and I were married for 4 years. We honeymooned at Disney ( my choice ) and went back a few times after that and before our divorce.

After we divorced, I went a few times either solo or with my Mom.

Fast forward 15 years and I met and fell in love with my now husband. While we were dating I told him that traveling was a part of my life ( it would have been a deal breaker if he didn't like travel at least a little ). Our 1st trip together was to Disney. He was open to it, but I also knew he was concerned about the fact that I had been there with my ex many times.

I had him get involved with the planning. I also tried not to plan too many things that I had done with my ex or talking about things he and I had done. I know one of his biggest concerns was choosing a hotel that my ex and I had never stayed at so I told him places I had stayed and he picked where we would stay.

While there I also made sure I told him how glad I was that he was there to share the experiences with me. We got Memory Maker and took lots of photos so we had happy memories of the 2 of us together ( vs. me taking pictures of him and he taking pictures of me ).

Plan something special that you didn't do with your family in the past so it's a new chapter for both of you.

I agree with PP, go on a solo trip or with friends. In a relationship you dont have to do everything together. If she isn't interested, that doesn't mean that you cannot go.

What is your objective? Do you want to go because you miss Disney, or to create memories together?

There are other options like Disneyland or a cruise, if her main concern is to compete with your memories. But you cannot start any successful persuasion, if you do not have a clear picture on why she doesn't want to. Ask her what her perfect holiday looks like and see how Disney can fit.

If that doesn't help: solo or friends trip.
I agree. There is nothing worse than going with someone and expecting them to fall in love with it the way you did, only to have them going around saying, "It's okay." Trust me, I had that happen and it was a drag. I vote for solo trips! You wouldn't believe how much fun you'll have on your own. Sounds crazy, I know. My solo trip was my favorite one of all!

Romantic trips to WDW are fabulous!! Just please (and I speak from experience here) when you're planning out loud, on your way there, or actually there, DON'T chatter on about what you used to do at Disney. Make a pact with yourself and with her. You're both there together to make NEW MEMORIES! Try not to even think about every past trip....just enjoy the moment together. Be upbeat and cheerful and romantic and she'll melt like buttuh!:love: Be safe, have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter