Mission Space Orange, what’s so bad?

We have done green before. Our last trip my 10 year old son really wanted to try orange so he did it with his sister. He is a ride daredevil and loves coasters and never got motion sick at all (even doing RNRC multiple times in a row). He got horrible motion sickness on the ride and ended up spending over an hour in first aid and the rest of his birthday trip in the hotel. He is now too scared to go on any motion simulators or big roller coasters. His is an extreme case but I would have definitely stayed away if I had known how bad it could be.

It’s horrible. I did orange with my then 7yo in Feb and I thought I was going to die. I’d never let one of my kids go on that ride again. Can’t say that about any other ride at Disney.
Just for context I will go on any roller coaster and spent my childhood with season passes at six flags so I am used to thrill rides.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Orange. My husband thinks everything is wrong with orange. He got sick the only time he did orange, he doesn't do spinning rides. He won't go on the teacups either.

I would never put a 7 and 4 year old on the orange side, but that's just me. A 4 year old boy, WITH a previously unknown diagnosed heart condition, literally died on the Orange side.
FWIW - 4 year-olds have to do green - can't ride orange. I rode with my 4-yo last year. She really liked it and wanted to go again. I think it had a lot to do with it was a big-kids ride she could ride with her sister. Her brother and Mom won't do either because of the claustrophobia - that capsule is tiny!

Look at it this way : for most Orange Riders it's a One and DONE!. I remember when MS was in the works and all theyhype for it and the lines were long and it wasn't long after ( could have been a year, I don't think much more than that) that the powers that be realized this was NOT the huge thrill ride they had intended. The GREEN version literally saved the ride.

I haven't, and never would do this ride. I am freaked out READING these reports! But my kids did the green and thought it was just OK.

But I will say, while waiting for them at the exit, all I saw were sick people all around me. One couple were both sitting with their heads between their knees, and one family all looked green to the gills. Triage!!!!

We ride M:S Orange on every trip, we enjoy it!! (Tried green once to experience the difference, and found it boring.)
DD has been riding ever since she was tall enough, around 5ish years old.
Not everyone feels like they will throw up or die.....

I don't get motion sick, and didn't get queasy on this, but the one time I did the orange side I found it very unpleasant. I didn't feel like I was spinning, but there was just a lot of pressure in my head/face/chest. Like, a LOT of pressure. I didn't like it. At all. DD got a little queasy. DH didn't even try it.

Literally thought I might die!

Mission Space Orange -- One and done for me back ca 2005. I was expecting some discomfort because I know I get motion sickness from a variety of sources including canoes and virtual reality. I definitely felt uncomfortable on Mission Space although fortunately for me that time not excruciatingly so. When I got off I had to sit on a bench for awhile.

In a much earlier lifetime I rode a centrifuge called Round Up. Everyone stood in a circle against the (cylindrical) side wall and facing the center. The ride was not enclosed so everyone saw the world spin around them as the ride got moving. Also, unlike Mission Space, the entire ride (not the rider pods individually) tilted so you got flung up and then down and then up and then down for part of the ride. Whether the G forces were less than Mission Space I don't know but I did not have to sit down for awhile although I did get very sweaty. But then I was much younger and more sprightly.

Mission Space has the riders all at the perimeter and facing the center in the same fashion. Because the ride is enclosed and the video screens and scenery rotate with the rest of the ride, you don't see the spinning and cannot feel changes in a breeze as the spinning starts and stops..

The gravity effect is to press you against the back of your seat harder. The G force changes gradually by increasing or decreasing the spin speed gradually, with no shaking or vibration. Your brain is pressed against the back of your skull. Or against the side of your skull if you turn your head. Same although more abrupt G force for the start of Rock & Roller Coaster and for a certain backward motion part of Expedition Everest.

Last edited:
I would never put a 7 and 4 year old on the orange side, but that's just me. A 4 year old boy, WITH a previously unknown diagnosed heart condition, literally died on the Orange side.

Mission Space Orange is intense, but if you’re avoiding rides at WDW that have killed people with pre-existing conditions, you should also avoid Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Rock’n’Roller Coaster, Space Mountain (x3), Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

FWIW - 4 year-olds have to do green - can't ride orange. I rode with my 4-yo last year. She really liked it and wanted to go again. I think it had a lot to do with it was a big-kids ride she could ride with her sister. Her brother and Mom won't do either because of the claustrophobia - that capsule is tiny!

I didn't realize this was a rule. We're going soon with our almost 5 year old. We were probably going to skip doing the orange anyway, but I didn't know they had an age requirement for that side.

I did the orange side once with my sister, and never again. My sister got sick as a dog and never felt right the rest of the day. I didn't get sick, but I could tell I was off for quite a while afterwards. No other rides ever bothered me in any park the way that one did.

I don't do well with spinning rides and rode Orange without knowing that it spins at high speeds to simulate G-force. After I left the ride, I had to lay in the gift shop in the AC and I broke out into a cold sweat. Never again. Now, DH has no problem with it and rides every trip. So if spinning doesn't bother you, its a unique ride that's worth a try.

I love orange and my kids do too. My daughter and I walked from BC one night, just did orange, and came back! We really like the interactive portions - having a job, flipping buttons at the right time.

My husband gets motion sickness and won’t do it - but he felt sick on green.

I recommend doing green, and if you liked it, do orange.

Orange made me sick to my stomach for hours. It was the ride that made me refuse to get on anything that spins. Never again!

I didn't realize this was a rule. We're going soon with our almost 5 year old. We were probably going to skip doing the orange anyway, but I didn't know they had an age requirement for that side.

PP was incorrect. Disney doesn't usually limit riders by age unless they are solo riders.

WDW- parkwide limits riders by height.

(Supposedly a few rides have a min age of 3, but I have not see that enforced, and the WDW website doesn't list that minimum age requirement, only height.)

For Mission: Space, riders have to be 40" (102cm) or taller. If a child is that tall they can ride with you.

To ride solo - parkwide - a child has to be age 7 or older. Otherwise they have to ride with someone who is at least 14 years old.

The only attraction with slightly different rules is the Tomorrowland Speedway. Riders have to be 32" tall to ride with an adult, and 54' to ride solo, and I don't see a specific height listed any place, but I think children have to be a certain min height to drive the car.

Last edited:
I am in my 60s and have ridden orange since they first opened the ride. Have ridden it 20+ times and orange is my favorite ride in Epcot. Sorry to hear others having motion problems, but I will continue to enjoy the feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!