Modifying Home Resort Reservation at 7 Months

Phatscott25

DIS Veteran
Hello All,

I've been a DVC member for quite some time and understand all 7/11 month rules. I currently have a 141 point Poly reservation booked during home resort period with Poly points. It is now within the 7 month window and I have 98 AKV points I'd like to modify into the reservation (there is 7 month availability for the Poly reservation currently). I know the booking engine locks the home resort contract so modifying online won't work.

In the past, I've always been able to call in this circumstance and have member services modify the existing reservation to use the non-home points. I just tried this now and the member services rep said I can only cancel and re-book. Is this a new policy now? Canceling and re-booking won't work as this is a rental and I can't change the confirmation number. I told him I've definitely been able to do this in the past (as long as the room is available which it is) and he said it's always been this way which I know isn't true.

Does anyone have any experience with this recently? I'm just wondering if I'd have better luck calling back and hopefully getting another agent. He kept insisting it wasn't allowed due to home resort priority even though he confirmed the room shows availability.

I have only had luck getting non home resort points switched in if the nights were at the beginning and the end of the trip and then having them combined back into one. It was always making new reservations and adjusting the original.

If nights were only available in the middle of the trip, or not all nights, the system would only take them if they were banked or borrowed.

If not all nights are available, I am not sure it will work. I know it’s a rental, but why not simply rebook it and let the renter know why you are getting a new number, I would just do the new nights before canceling the old,

All nights are available, and in this circumstance I've never had trouble in the past (when calling, I know it won't work online). The rental is through a broker and I don't want to do anything that may violate the terms. I never thought about making a partial for the first few nights and trying to combine them. You're saying in that case once combined they'll keep the original confirmation number?

All nights are available, and in this circumstance I've never had trouble in the past (when calling, I know it won't work online). The rental is through a broker and I don't want to do anything that may violate the terms. I never thought about making a partial for the first few nights and trying to combine them. You're saying in that case once combined they'll keep the original confirmation number?

Yes. I would call MS and ask them to do that and just tell them to be sure that when they combine that the initial reservation number is what is kept the same,

I have done it many times this way when I have ended up getting trips a few days at a time.

I just book what I can at the 7 month reservation separately. I then modify my original reservation. This works mostly if you can modify the beginning or end. Once I’m done I call dvc and combine my reservation pieces into one reservation. It’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it to me.

I have only had luck getting non home resort points switched in if the nights were at the beginning and the end of the trip and then having them combined back into one. It was always making new reservations and adjusting the original.

If nights were only available in the middle of the trip, or not all nights, the system would only take them if they were banked or borrowed.

If not all nights are available, I am not sure it will work. I know it’s a rental, but why not simply rebook it and let the renter know why you are getting a new number, I would just do the new nights before canceling the old,

guess I should’ve seen your comment. We think alike. I do the same thing.

I just book what I can at the 7 month reservation separately. I then modify my original reservation. This works mostly if you can modify the beginning or end. Once I’m done I call dvc and combine my reservation pieces into one reservation. It’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it to me.
Can stays at two different hotels (split stays) be combined under one reservation number?

Also, for the technique you mentioned, you would have to have enough points to temporarily have two overlapping reservations, is that right?

Can stays at two different hotels (split stays) be combined under one reservation number?

Also, for the technique you mentioned, you would have to have enough points to temporarily have two overlapping reservations, is that right?

Stays at different resorts are two different reservations since you are moving hotels.

Yes, to do what is being suggested your have to have non home resort points to use and book before you free up home resort points.

This is really a strategy for people who Want to try and preserve as many home resort points as they can when things are still available at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!