Mom to an only child....

piscesmama

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I have tried to locate a topic similar to this, but can't seem to find one. So excuse me if this is a repeat.

We're taking our first trip to Disney. The reveal is the weekend for my daughter's birthday and boy am I excited about it. My daughter is an only child. She will be traveling with my mom and I for the trip. In not a rider. I suffer with extreme vertigo and can't ride most things (teacups and dumbos come to mind first). My daughter is 11. Without a friend I'm worried my daughter will become bored at the park. Also, I'm worried about the logistics of waiting in line with her and how to "pick her up" from a ride when it completes....mostly the Seven dwarfs coaster. Thankfully, she isn't one for heights, so I won't have to worry about much. oddly enough she wants to ride Pandora (at least right now) andnim gonna try my damnedest to ride it with her. Lol

Okay I'm rambling now, but I would love to hear other's experiences with taking their only children.

Thanks!

I'm a single mom and have been taking my daughter (just turned 14) since she was 3. There are perks to being a small party -- you can move more quickly through crowds, more easily make decisions about where to go and what to do, etc. I don't know too many kids that age who get bored at Disney! I think 11 is the age where they're old enough to be a bit independent (go alone on some rides) but young enough to be enchanted by the magic. There are a couple of rides that I avoid at Disney -- Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom and Rock N Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios -- my daughter has been perfectly fine to go on those rides alone.

Even if you avoid many rides, there will be lots for you all to do together. Be sure to visit the talking Mickey on Main Street - Tink is there, too. My daughter also loves to visit Tiana and Rapunzel. I'd say most of the rides at Disney won't bother your vertigo.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how bad your vertigo is, but as a motion sickness sufferer, you might be surprised at how many rides you'll be able to enjoy. There are very few I can't handle. Don't worry, you're going to have an amazing time!

I'm an only child myself, and for my family's first trip to Disney World when I was 12, I did not for a minute become bored at the park. It was really exciting to be in such a "magical" place, and I didn't even really wish for a friend to be with me on the trip. I had a good time with my parents, it was a great family bonding experience, and I still really enjoyed meeting all the characters. I think if your daughter loves anything Disney, she'll have a fantastic time with her mom and grandma and not be worrying about what her friends are doing back home.

Also a lot of rides have a "way out" when you wait in line with people who want to ride. We took a friend a few years ago that was terrified of roller coasters and he was offered a way to leave at Rock N Roller Coaster after waiting with us in line so he wouldn't need to sit outside by himself for an hour. No one at Disney made him feel bad about wanting to leave and they seemed to understand sometimes people just wait with their friends and family. Funnily enough he decided to prove he wasn't a chicken and rode the ride with us anyways (of course he hated it, and stomped on my foot so hard during the corkscrew that I still bring it up today).

Have a fantastic time on your daughter's first trip!

I'm a single mom and have been taking my son since he was just shy of 3, he's 36 now and we still go. He was never bored, ever during the years and we used to go every other year, now go twice a year. I pretty much rode everything he wanted to ride, I'm not a fan of roller coasters but I suffered through since they really aren't that bad at Disney. You can wait in line with her then take the chicken exit when it comes time and meet up with her at the exit. There is a good chance on Seven Dwarfs she is going to have to ride with someone as they rarely put anyone in the seats solo so you need to understand that and if you don't want her riding with a stranger, you might have to either ride it with her or have her skip it.

don't worry! just get in line with her if you want, and then before you ride tell them you can't ride after all. No one is forced to go on the ride. Many rides also have easy viewing spots,so no trouble there either. She will still have a blast even with her 'boring' mom:rotfl2:

I too am a mom to one. He's currently 13 but we have been going to Disney since he was a toddler. At this age single rider lines and cell phones are your best friends. Also, many times I would actually get IN line with him just to hang out so he would not be alone all the time then exit the ride just like everyone else w/o actually riding.

Plan out some fast passes ahead of time, so you know you can skip the line for at least some rides. Also, keep all the famous boat rides in mind: Pirates, Small World, Little Mermaid in Magic Kingdom, Frozen in Epcot, Navi River Journey in Animal Kingdom (I hear the waits are still crazy on the last 2, so see if you can get fast passes for those), and more. Luckily there's also lots of fun things to see around the parks that just involve enjoying the atmospheres, too. Consider the shows as well. Beauty and the Beast/ Little Mermaid in Hollywood Studios, Lion King in Animal Kingdom, as well as many others you can research.

I"m not a single mom, but I've traveled alone to WDW with my son at least 20 times since he was 3. He is 10 now and we LOVE our trips together! They are such special times for just the two of us and we have made so many special memories together. Starting about 2 years ago, DS started riding some rides by himself because I just can't do some of the bigger rides anymore. He's gone on Space Mountain and Expedition Everest by himself. For Space Mountain, I get a FP+ for both of us, walk him through the line to the ride vehicle and then take a ramp down to exactly where the ride exits. When the CM asks how many people are riding at the loading area, I simply tell them DS is riding alone. If you need help finding the waiting area, a CM will help you. At Expedition Everest, there is a single rider line, so I walk through with him, make sure he is put in a vehicle line and then go to the gift shop where the exit is (again, a CM will help you if you need directions, they are used to doing this!). The Mine Train will be easy as the loading area for the ride is right next to the exit so you can wait for your daughter there. If you aren't going to do a lot of rides with her, I would suggest planning to do some other special things together - meals, maybe a tour or a dessert party? You will have a GREAT time!!!

Hello all! I have tried to locate a topic similar to this, but can't seem to find one. So excuse me if this is a repeat.

We're taking our first trip to Disney. The reveal is the weekend for my daughter's birthday and boy am I excited about it. My daughter is an only child. She will be traveling with my mom and I for the trip. In not a rider. I suffer with extreme vertigo and can't ride most things (teacups and dumbos come to mind first). My daughter is 11. Without a friend I'm worried my daughter will become bored at the park. Also, I'm worried about the logistics of waiting in line with her and how to "pick her up" from a ride when it completes....mostly the Seven dwarfs coaster. Thankfully, she isn't one for heights, so I won't have to worry about much. oddly enough she wants to ride Pandora (at least right now) andnim gonna try my damnedest to ride it with her. Lol

Okay I'm rambling now, but I would love to hear other's experiences with taking their only children.

Thanks!

We go just the two of us all the time. Its awesome! Sometimes she says something about wishing she had a friend, but during a parade or something she will usually find another little girl to talk to. After going with my mom a few times, I can’t wait to go back this next time just the two of us. Its so nice not having to deal with what other people want to do, waiting for them to come out of stores, the bathroom, always trying to get a plan in order. We can relax and just do whatever we feel like and not worry about it.

Thanks!

So excited for you!!! A girl trip!!! HOW FUN!!! You are adorable! Don't stress or overthink! You will have a fabulous time! Let us know how it goes!!!!

I'm a single mom, and my mom and son trips to WDW are some of my best memories in life. I hope you enjoy your trip with her!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Rhese are all great ideas. My pumpkin is use to it just being us girls, so this will be no different. Can't wait to have a blast with her! I am SO glad Tiara and Rapunzel are together. They are her favorite. Lots of good ideas here for FP!

My mom and I have been going to WDW since I was 6...we went in February, 29 years later. We've done WDW with other groups, but our mom and daughter trips are still some of the best. My mom only would do Big Thunder Mountain as a fast ride, and even that wasn't always a sure thing. I never felt bored. There are so many rides that are pretty tame, but still fun. My mom's current favorites are Buzz, Haunted Mansion, and Toy Story Midway Mania. Buzz I have to promise not to move the car too fast ;)
Because our last trip was our trip together, we did a lot of things we knew others in our family wouldn't enjoy. We did the Wishes (now HEA) dessert party, afternoon tea at Grand Floridian, PPO breakfast at Aksehus, PPO breakfast at Tusker House, and PPO breakfast at BOG. Not saying you need to do all those, we are adults and splurged a bit, but doing one "special" meal or event might be nice if possible.

Thanks!

Isn't your mom going too? Could she ride with your daughter?

If you think your daughter will be bored at WDW, may I ask why you are taking her there? I get that it's not what every kid likes, but as her mom, do you know if she likes Disney stuff or not? What kinds of rides does she like?

Isn't your mom going too? Could she ride with your daughter?

If you think your daughter will be bored at WDW, may I ask why you are taking her there? I get that it's not what every kid likes, but as her mom, do you know if she likes Disney stuff or not? What kinds of rides does she like?

DisneyOma - the OP said this is their first trip. Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I imagine she's taking her daughter there because she hopes they'll have an awesome vacation - just like the rest of us. And like many of us, pre-trip worries are pretty common.

DisneyOma - the OP said this is their first trip. Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I imagine she's taking her daughter there because she hopes they'll have an awesome vacation - just like the rest of us. And like many of us, pre-trip worries are pretty common.

That's exactly it. She's not a hardcore gotta have Mickey and Minnie all the time. Does she like them? Sure....but she LOVES Rapunzel and Tiana more. My mom has low vision, this trip is a dream of hers from when my brother and I were kids. Bucket list, if you will. My daughter and I know how to have fun anywhere we go, but not ever having been there....i was just concerned that's she'd be bored with a mom that doesn't like to ride. This post and other things have shown me there is tons more to do while we're there. I went to Disneyland has a kid her age and while I wasn't a fan of Disney per se....ir was fun just being there...especially the parade.

Btw...she LOVES finding a friend to ride with whenever we go elsewhere...I'm sure she'll do the same while we're there.

Btw...she LOVES finding a friend to ride with whenever we go elsewhere...I'm sure she'll do the same while we're there.
If you're there when we're there my daughter would be the first to volunteer to go on a ride with your daughter!! She'll be able to talk to kids her age when you're on queue, when you're at the pool, waiting for the parade, etc. If you're going over the holidays the Christmas parade is great - I think it begins 12/23 evenings (and during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). Otherwise, the afternoon Festival of Fantasy parade is very good, too. There's lots of music/street dancing activities in Animal Kingdom which are fun for kids (and adults!).

That's exactly it. She's not a hardcore gotta have Mickey and Minnie all the time. Does she like them? Sure....but she LOVES Rapunzel and Tiana more. My mom has low vision, this trip is a dream of hers from when my brother and I were kids. Bucket list, if you will. My daughter and I know how to have fun anywhere we go, but not ever having been there....i was just concerned that's she'd be bored with a mom that doesn't like to ride. This post and other things have shown me there is tons more to do while we're there. I went to Disneyland has a kid her age and while I wasn't a fan of Disney per se....ir was fun just being there...especially the parade.

Thanks for the clarification - since you were asking about her riding alone, and that you couldn't ride, I was wondering why your mother couldn't ride with her.

Looks like you get to have some fun researching all the stuff to do at WDW - try browsing through their website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ to see all the descriptions of the attractions. Go on YouTube to watch some of the videos people put up of the attractions, etc. Maybe do that with your daughter to see what interests her? And honestly, if she doesn't seem to be all that interested, maybe rethink how you do the trip - look at the surrounding Orlando area to see if a side trip might be something she'd like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter