Money/decision question for parents of art-school kids

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I'm hoping there are a few parents of kids going/who have gone to art school here, because my only other source of information is the schools themselves.

My son is a HS senior; he wants to be an illustrator (not an animator, but would love to do concept art or really any type of illustration). He has applied to and was accepted at RISD, SCAD, Ringling, and SAIC. He also received scholarships at each of them; while they are not full scholarships (those are not really offered), the interesting thing is that, even though there is a $20k variance in tuition/fees between some of these schools, the variances in scholarships have lowered our/his expenses so that they're all going to cost about the same out of pocket. He got top scholarships at all of them, but the cost is still steep, so we are really trying to make the "best" decision. I keep telling myself that he cannot really make a wrong decision since these are all top schools, but maybe there is a better decision?

He prefers the city of Chicago, but I don't think that SAIC and RISD are as tech/job oriented as SCAD and Ringling. Would you agree or disagree with that? I think if he were going into animation, Ringling would be the clear front-runner, but I don't know if the same is true for illustration. I think he will enjoy Savannah and the spread-out nature of SCAD's campus better than Ringling which is more its own world within Sarasota, but his main focus has been on money and who is going to help him to get the best job. I should also add that as of right now, he is a shy kid who prefers to hide in the back of the class. So, while all the schools have great career centers and some opportunities for internships and such, he may not seek them out. I do expect him to grow and be less shy through this process, but I would feel better if he were in a school that a teacher may notice him and force him out of his comfort zone.

As I type this, I really am not sure what my question is! I guess I'm just hoping that there are some budget-minded people here who have been in this situation and can give us advice on how to choose. While the out-of-pocket expense is the same, if I had a crystal ball that would assure me that one school will put him on a better career path than the other, then I would like to know that. I would also love to hear from graduates/parents of students or graduates of any of these schools and their experiences in general. Everyone's experiences are different, and what is right for one may not be right for my son, but I would still love to hear about anyone's experiences, thoughts, and advice.
Thanks in advance!

Not really advice, maybe perspective or an alternate view? My understanding is that SCAD is not well known for illustration, but that's just what I was told when I lived down South (I majored in art history, so pretty friendly with studio art majors).

Someone I went to HS with, granted, well over a decade ago, went to RISD for illustration and seems to have done well for himself. He was very introverted, but definitely pro-active and self-motivated, if that's helpful in the context of your son.

Not sure how set your son is on illustration or whether he might change his mind? A friend of mine also went to RISD, believe she changed her focus while she attended, and does graphic design and photography. She works in NYC (commutes in) and also seems to do well.

Do you have a sense of where he wants to be post-graduation? RISD is very distinguished in the NE and has a strong alum network spanning New England and the NE coast given its location, so if he were interested in living in Boston, NYC, Philly, that would probably give him a leg up over the other schools, at least for an initial job. If he prefers the Midwest, then SAIC would likely be a better candidate. Of course, down South I would think SCAD or Ringling would be better candidates. I am unfamiliar with Ringling so cannot comment there...

Very good questions, and that adds another dimension I didn’t consider. I don’t think he has the capacity to think about where he wants to be after graduation, other than “employed”! As far as motivation, art is his life, and he is a perfectionist and doesn’t ever stop trying to improve. However, he is not going to then be the first to volunteer to show his work, and I’m afraid he may not apply for shows or internships without a mentor or requirement making him do so. Again, he gets less-shy every year, and I expect him to grow tremendously while away.

When he has googled “best illustration school,” SCAD, RISD, and Ringling are all in the top 4 with SAIC being lower down the list, but not much lower. Not sure how valid these rankings are, though. As far as being committed to illustration, he is 100% committed. I, however, know that he’s only 17 and may change his mind. Each of these schools will allow you to change your major, though.

Thanks for the additional thoughts and points to consider!

My daughter is a 2013 graduate of SCAD-Savannah...she majored in Graphic Design. My husband and I knew next to nothing about art schools...we're both accountants and better-equipped to evaluate business degrees over art. Fortunately my daughter had good art mentors in HS who helped her narrow her list of schools.

SCAD was the first she visited, and her top choice. Her father and I gulped at the price tag but the scholarship she got effectively paid for one full year (it was about 25% of the cost of one year, renewable if she maintained a 3.0 GPA).

During the Orientation Weekend when we moved her in for freshman year, we attended the Parent-Only meeting during which the leadership of the school assured us that their curriculum was designed to help each student achieve gainful employment, and they spoke of 85% of graduates working in their field within 6 months of graduation. "In their field" meant actually practicing their art...not waitressing or working retail.

They were four rigorous years for her...art school is NOT for the faint of heart. She lost many hours of sleep during freshman foundation year. Their is a perception by some that because SCAD only holds classes four days a week (Fridays are studio days or days to meet with professors) and students only take three or four classes a quarter that it is easy. It isn't. I guarantee you, it isn't.

Throughout all four of her years there, classes refined and perfected the foundation skills every artist needs and taught her high-level graphic design skills. Many, many projects were set up specifically to give students real-world experience including meeting with clients, preparing sketches and producing final products. She produced actual product for both grades and local businesses with the highlight being the Disney Cooperative during her senior year. A team of 16 students drove to Disney for an intensive session with Imagineers to get the background of an actual feature Disney was contemplating. The team included designers, architects, production students and others and they had to work together to create their vision for Disney and prepare all the materials for the pitch, then actually stand in front of the Disney Imagineers to present. This was experience one would never expect to gain in a classroom but was a huge positive step toward preparing her for a career.

Within three weeks of graduation she moved out, having landed her first design job in the Washington DC area. Not quite enough to fully support herself, she lived with my sister for six months. After that time, she landed a MUCH better job in Arlington VA making more than enough to get her own apartment. She still works for that firm today and has been fully supporting herself ever since she moved out. She participates in design competitions (most recently one sponsored by Adobe) and even does some freelance work.

She never considered RISD (didn't want to contemplate drawing the bicycle for the portfolio requirement), thought briefly about Ringling but that fell off the list after she fell in love with SCAD. My husband and I look back at the checks we had to write, and despite the cost - we'd do it all over again. It was the right school for her - she flourished there, and sure enough just as they promised, SCAD helped her turn her passion for art into a career.

DD20 is currently at SCAD and LOVES IT!!!! We considered Ringling (visited the campus), MICA (visited the campus, attended National Portfolio Day there), and briefly considered RISD (but they wouldn't return an email to her requesting information - she was a junior in high school and we heard they really only talk to seniors).

She attended RISE (program after junior year of HS, earned 10 credits). We invested in RISE because if she didn't like RISE, she wouldn't like SCAD. DH and I attended the college tour info session and the RISE info session and we decided it was a modern-day apprenticeship program. We liked the way they taught the students workplace skills through interdisciplinary collaboration. For example, if someone is shooting a short film, they need to find other students in other disciplines to help them. They need to find lighting, sound, backdrop artists, actors, voice-overs, etc. They need to collaborate with their fellow students to get the job done, not unlike a real work environment. DH, who is a consultant, really honed in on the necessity of these skills no matter what your field of study.

SCAD also has a library of equipment that can be checked out for use. DD took a photography class at RISE, but didn't have the correct camera. She borrowed one and all the lenses necessary - over $3K in equipment - just checked out like a library book. These students use the equipment they'll be using in the workplace.

DD's current major/minor is Visual Effects/Motion Media. She's changed a couple of times, which I think happens because they're required to take the Foundation Courses MsMayor referenced above. She has a love of many art disciplines, and it took her 4 quarters to settle on Visual Effects and a professor (who was impressed with her work and work ethic) encouraged the Motion Media minor. She traveled to SCAD campus in Lacoste, France in the Fall and studied there for 8 weeks. Same tuition, same teachers, we just needed to pay for airfare. Students can also study in Hong Kong and Atlanta at SCAD's other campuses.

DD met someone who transferred in from Ringling (I think animation major) because SCAD has more recruiting opportunities. They constantly have recruiting fairs throughout the year that all students can attend. Seniors get first priority, but everyone can eventually get in and meet reps and figure out who is hiring in what fields. DD has also learned to network with her professors because they have connections with various companies/corporations. One of her profs works with Disney, so he can make a referral if necessary.

We're from NJ, and she travels back and forth without problem. The school runs shuttles to the airport and train station during travel times.

I wish your son the best of luck with his decision. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you both so much for the info on SCAD, it is very helpful! I think we need to stop stressing and focus on there really not being a bad choice here. The recruiting fairs are very exciting to hear about! I’m going to go ahead and book flights to visit Ringling, and I’ll pray that he gets a gut-instinct about one of them!

Thanks again!!

Thank you both so much for the info on SCAD, it is very helpful! I think we need to stop stressing and focus on there really not being a bad choice here. The recruiting fairs are very exciting to hear about! I’m going to go ahead and book flights to visit Ringling, and I’ll pray that he gets a gut-instinct about one of them!

Thanks again!!
Yes, go look at Ringling! Have you visited SCAD? He needs to try them on for size. Talk to the students....not just the one giving the tour.

So I know NOTHING about art schools, but I thought I would jump in and add this little tidbit, you mentioned that cost wise for the SCHOOL itself all comes out about even, but consider the cost of living for the areas of all the schools. He'll be be living there during school correct, and spending money/free time there and that could affect some of his cost of living. Also if he ends up staying there after graduation for a fellowship/internship, those are things to consider. What is the housing market like there? COL? I know this is some long term thinking and might only be a small thing to take into consideration, but do think about it!

So I know NOTHING about art schools, but I thought I would jump in and add this little tidbit, you mentioned that cost wise for the SCHOOL itself all comes out about even, but consider the cost of living for the areas of all the schools. He'll be be living there during school correct, and spending money/free time there and that could affect some of his cost of living. Also if he ends up staying there after graduation for a fellowship/internship, those are things to consider. What is the housing market like there? COL? I know this is some long term thinking and might only be a small thing to take into consideration, but do think about it!

I wouldn't be concerned with the cost of living where the college is located as much as the prospects of getting a job afterwards. With art, you go where the work is, and it's not necessarily where the school is located. Savannah is not a mecca for art jobs and neither is Sarasota. SCAD brings in companies from all over the country.

DD is already scoping out companies in NYC, LA, Atlanta, London, and France. Savannah will not be her first job location. Her roommate is a senior, and has already secured a job in Atlanta with 1 quarter before she graduates. We also know of another student who was 2 years ahead of DD in high school (from NJ) who landed a job with a subcontractor to Disney in Orlando. After 2 months, Disney offered him a job outright.

Yes, we’ve visited all of them except Ringling. And he loves all of them! That is so exciting to hear about the job offers before graduation!! I love this kid, but I don’t want him living on my couch for the rest of his life!!

Yes, we’ve visited all of them except Ringling. And he loves all of them! That is so exciting to hear about the job offers before graduation!! I love this kid, but I don’t want him living on my couch for the rest of his life!!
:rotfl:You and me both! I've got 4 to get off the "payroll" and job offers before graduation are music to my ears!

Oh, one other thing I though of: Hurricanes. SCAD has had to deal with them lately. DD's senior year of high school, a hurricane hit and I watched their website to see how they handled the situation. They bussed the kids to their Atlanta campus, and they camped out there until it was safe for them to return to Savannah. Last year when DD was an incoming freshman, a hurricane was forecast, and they just delayed school opening for a week. I don't think Savannah was affected this past summer/fall, but their Hong Kong campus had a typhoon. I've been impressed with how the school has handled these emergencies, keeping their students safe, and keeping the parents informed.

:rotfl:You and me both! I've got 4 to get off the "payroll" and job offers before graduation are music to my ears!

Oh, one other thing I though of: Hurricanes. SCAD has had to deal with them lately. DD's senior year of high school, a hurricane hit and I watched their website to see how they handled the situation. They bussed the kids to their Atlanta campus, and they camped out there until it was safe for them to return to Savannah. Last year when DD was an incoming freshman, a hurricane was forecast, and they just delayed school opening for a week. I don't think Savannah was affected this past summer/fall, but their Hong Kong campus had a typhoon. I've been impressed with how the school has handled these emergencies, keeping their students safe, and keeping the parents informed.

Oh, good points! We are from Louisiana, so we are no strangers to hurricanes. Most of the preparation is overkill, but my second child was born a month early in between hurricanes Katrina and Rita, so I’m all for overkill!

We have three kids, so I don’t know how much we can help him financially. He is very smart in addition to talented, so he got a full ride and extra money for books and such at LSU (only school he applied to that wasn’t an art school). It is so tempting to just suggest he go there, but their art program is limited and I doubt he ever works in the industry if he goes there. We can help him some, but he’s also going to have some student loans. I hate for him to start out life like that. I am very debt-averse! I told someone the other day that I feel like I need to sell a kidney to help out more!

Commercial or bank or financial aid office student loans should be the acid test for whether your child should choose a particular school or even choose a particular major. You don't want your kid(s) to have to struggle the day after graduation particularly if they don't get job offers as good as they thought.

While schools may have good graduate placement stats and may have lots of companies recruiting their graduates, you should not rely on any promises to land good jobs.

Jobs in the arts are harder to come by compared with jobs in the sciences. Your kid may end up having to go the self employment (start his/her own company or outfit) route. This brings student loans (or lack thereof) back into the picture. It is easier to start up a company without the worry of paying back loans.

A kid who is shy is going to have a harder time landing a good job.

Last edited:
Commercial or bank or financial aid office student loans should be the acid test for whether your child should choose a particular school or even choose a particular major. You don't want your kid(s) to have to struggle the day after graduation particularly if they don't get job offers as good as they thought.

While schools may have good graduate placement stats and may have lots of companies recruiting their graduates, you should not rely on any promises to land good jobs.

Jobs in the arts are harder to come by compared with jobs in the sciences. Your kid may end up having to go the self employment (start his/her own company or outfit) route. This brings student loans (or lack thereof) back into the picture. It is easier to start up a company without the worry of paying back loans.

A kid who is shy is going to have a harder time landing a good job.

All excellent points which we have considered, discussed, debated, and lost sleep over ad nauseam! He is also very smart and has top grades and ACT scores. He got a full ride (including books) to our state college (LSU), but their art program is not strong. It is so tempting to steer him to LSU and architecture or engineering, which he also likes and would be good at; however, art is his passion and has been his entire life.

I think that art is a feast or famine field, so we have concluded that in order to increase the odds of him "feasting," he needs to be in one of these competitive art schools where the major industries/companies come and recruit. Of course there are no guarantees. In fact, the Ringling representative at a recruitment event told me, "We don't give scholarships, but he will get such a good job you won't need to worry about student loans," to which I laughed and told him that did not quite cut it for me! So, we are definitely thinking in terms of increasing odds, not guarantees. And the fact that a recruiter told us there would be no scholarships (and now he has gotten three separate offers from them) leads me to think that he is as talented as I think he is (!), so I think he has a really good chance to do well. In illustration, there are so many very practical, high demand fields, and graphic design is always a "fall back."

I so wish I had a crystal ball, and I wish even more we had the cash to bankroll all of it. It is a gamble, but I (think) I am finally at peace with it being the right decision.

Thanks for the response!

In fact, the Ringling representative at a recruitment event told me, "We don't give scholarships, but he will get such a good job you won't need to worry about student loans," to which I laughed and told him that did not quite cut it for me!

This was pretty much the attitude we got when we visited Ringling. I asked about their hurricane response and got "We haven't had one of those strike this area in ages." Yeah, that didn't cut it for me! I found the admissions staff to be on the arrogant side. DD didn't even want to go on the tour...she got a bad vibe just walking to Admissions. We took the tour to make sure, and we were definitely sure that was not the college for her. I didn't want to influence your experience, so I didn't mention it in my previous post. For some kids, Ringling is a great fit. It wasn't a fit for mine.

This was pretty much the attitude we got when we visited Ringling. I asked about their hurricane response and got "We haven't had one of those strike this area in ages." Yeah, that didn't cut it for me! I found the admissions staff to be on the arrogant side. DD didn't even want to go on the tour...she got a bad vibe just walking to Admissions. We took the tour to make sure, and we were definitely sure that was not the college for her. I didn't want to influence your experience, so I didn't mention it in my previous post. For some kids, Ringling is a great fit. It wasn't a fit for mine.

Yes, I’ve heard this repeatedly from people about Ringling. I’m just praying that when we go (in two weeks) he then KNOWS it is or is not for him. I think he will be happier in Savannah, too, where he can walk into town, use the busses to get everywhere, etc. DH and I were going to step in if there was a clear cut financial advantage from one school over the other, but since they’re all fairly equal, I am hoping it becomes an easy choice for him based off of his gut instinct.

I will write more later, I have an open house for my house today and too much to do.

My son is at SCAD right now. The only other school we considered was LCAD, but that was when we were seriously looking at moving.back to CA, which didn't pan out, so then we visited SCAD and he was sold, applied ONLY to SCAD, got in, got a pretty decent scholarship (15k) and off he went. He is majoring in Animation.

I will admit we didn't look anywhere else, and part of that is because he fell in love when he got there, but the other part is that it is the closest school to our home and we can get there in 4 hours. He has Asperger's and I really didn't want him too far away.

We worked the finances out this way. We will pay what our 4 year flagship school costs per year (25K) and you maintain your scholarship (15k) and then pay the remainder in loans (10k roughly per year.)

I will write more later, I have an open house for my house today and too much to do.

My son is at SCAD right now. The only other school we considered was LCAD, but that was when we were seriously looking at moving.back to CA, which didn't pan out, so then we visited SCAD and he was sold, applied ONLY to SCAD, got in, got a pretty decent scholarship (15k) and off he went. He is majoring in Animation.

I will admit we didn't look anywhere else, and part of that is because he fell in love when he got there, but the other part is that it is the closest school to our home and we can get there in 4 hours. He has Asperger's and I really didn't want him too far away.

We worked the finances out this way. We will pay what our 4 year flagship school costs per year (25K) and you maintain your scholarship (15k) and then pay the remainder in loans (10k roughly per year.)

Congratulations on the admission and scholarship! Our friend there just loves SCAD. Mine has finally decided on Ringling; we went to the accepted students day, and he was in love with all of it. He wanted to sign up that day, but we made him take another week and practically complete spreadsheets of pros and cons of all the schools, but I think the small school is going to suit him well. I am just taking the attitude of "You work your butt off and we will pay for as much as we can, and the rest is on you!" I don't know how much "we can" yet, but it'll all work out. I'm just so relieved that a decision is made and we can put the uncertainty behind us.
Thanks for taking the time to post, and good luck with the open house!

Congratulations on the admission and scholarship! Our friend there just loves SCAD. Mine has finally decided on Ringling; we went to the accepted students day, and he was in love with all of it. He wanted to sign up that day, but we made him take another week and practically complete spreadsheets of pros and cons of all the schools, but I think the small school is going to suit him well. I am just taking the attitude of "You work your butt off and we will pay for as much as we can, and the rest is on you!" I don't know how much "we can" yet, but it'll all work out. I'm just so relieved that a decision is made and we can put the uncertainty behind us.
Thanks for taking the time to post, and good luck with the open house!

Wonderful. I asked my son if he wanted to tour Ringling and he said no, didn't like the heat, too far away, etc.....and I didn't push it.

I think the *best college for your kid* is the college where they are most comfortable and happy. You don't want the phone call from your child when they're overwhelmed and in a place they don't like. Yes, the "overwhelmed" phone call will happen, but it's much easier to handle when they love their school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter