Monorail Blue evacuated due to piece falling off

Time to clear the air…

The piece that broke off it's called the collector shoe, the collector shoe was with the monorail uses to pull the power from the bussbar that is on either side of the beam way. As you can see from the photo where the shoe broke free was on a fiberglass piece. The fiberglass piece is used as a buffer between the shoe itself (the metal part in the photo) and the collector shoe arm (which is a large metal piece physically connected to the train.) The reason why that piece of in between is fiberglass is so that for any reason and obstacle be in the way the shoe itself and the bussbar, the shoe can break free and not do damage to the bussbar along the beam or the train.

As for the rumor of evacuqtion. The train was not evacuated. Once the issue was made aware of the train was told to stop in a specific location where engineering services could check it out to make sure there was no harm to the train or the bussbar system. During that time Reedy Creek Emergency Services is called as a precaution only. They did remain on site while in engenering did a full check of the train. The train was then given clearance into the Transportation and Ticket Center station where they unloaded the guests as normal. The train was then fully checked out, repaired, safety inspected, then returned to service a short time later.

During the first safety check on the open beamway, the other monorail lines were temporarily shut down to keep radio traffic clear.

If that's meant to break away, why doesn't it have a safety wire to keep it attached to the monorail, dangling, instead of potentially hitting people below the monorail?

Time to clear the air…

The piece that broke off it's called the collector shoe, the collector shoe was with the monorail uses to pull the power from the bussbar that is on either side of the beam way. As you can see from the photo where the shoe broke free was on a fiberglass piece. The fiberglass piece is used as a buffer between the shoe itself (the metal part in the photo) and the collector shoe arm (which is a large metal piece physically connected to the train.) The reason why that piece of in between is fiberglass is so that for any reason and obstacle be in the way the shoe itself and the bussbar, the shoe can break free and not do damage to the bussbar along the beam or the train.

As for the rumor of evacuqtion. The train was not evacuated. Once the issue was made aware of the train was told to stop in a specific location where engineering services could check it out to make sure there was no harm to the train or the bussbar system. During that time Reedy Creek Emergency Services is called as a precaution only. They did remain on site while in engenering did a full check of the train. The train was then given clearance into the Transportation and Ticket Center station where they unloaded the guests as normal. The train was then fully checked out, repaired, safety inspected, then returned to service a short time later.

During the first safety check on the open beamway, the other monorail lines were temporarily shut down to keep radio traffic clear.

My eyes are poor - but the break spot also did not look like "significant metal" to me either....

But there is another concern - one we experienced indirectly at the GF, years ago. Bear with me.... Wife and I were sitting outside UNDER the track. I looked over, and found a pretty good sized BOLT on the bench - clearly broken.

Now, without positive ID - did this fall off a monorail? More importantly.... might it be a good idea in the future to NOT be under a monorail track, as trains are going overhead? The effect today to Monorail Blue was probably minimal... and could WELL have been "by design".

What would the effect have been to a child standing in the wrong spot, at the wrong time? Wondering if it's time for a little "fallout netting" around the tracks in areas likely to have humans under them?

They finally pushed our monorail to the TTC station at around 5AM (broke down at 1am), when the doors finally opened, I still vividly remember the look on the CM's face when the "locker room" smell hit her (I can laugh now). They gave us all water which was great and needed...But instead of letting us go on our way, they started to try and compensate us right then and there...Here is the best part, we have been up almost 24 hrs and they were offering us MVMCP tickets for that night...
:sad2: Walt must be in great shape from all those somersaults he's doing in his grave.

If that's meant to break away, why doesn't it have a safety wire to keep it attached to the monorail, dangling, instead of potentially hitting people below the monorail?

Then it could bang around still making contact with then bussbar or train..

My eyes are poor - but the break spot also did not look like "significant metal" to me either....

But there is another concern - one we experienced indirectly at the GF, years ago. Bear with me.... Wife and I were sitting outside UNDER the track. I looked over, and found a pretty good sized BOLT on the bench - clearly broken.

Now, without positive ID - did this fall off a monorail? More importantly.... might it be a good idea in the future to NOT be under a monorail track, as trains are going overhead? The effect today to Monorail Blue was probably minimal... and could WELL have been "by design".

What would the effect have been to a child standing in the wrong spot, at the wrong time? Wondering if it's time for a little "fallout netting" around the tracks in areas likely to have humans under them?

90% Of the walkways under the train have a fallout protection of some type under them to prevent his. Where it happened today was over the Epcot parking lot. Where it is not as likely to have someone directly under the train as a walkway would.

And I doubt the bolt was from one to the trains, the bolts on the trains are like aircraft bolts and are all tied with wire. To prevent loose fasteners.

Then it could bang around still making contact with then bussbar or train..

Yes. It's much better to do damage to the actual monorail or beam than someone standing below it. This is how wheels work on most open wheel race cars now. They have a tether that attaches the wheel and/or some suspension bits to the car itself, in case the suspension arms break. That way, the tire doesn't fly up into the stands and kill people. It just bangs around on the bodywork of the car, which doesn't hurt anyone, including the driver. Granted, they have only been doing this in the past 10-15 years after some horrific accidents where spectators were killed or seriously injured. I see later that you say most of the area below the monorail has protection, but I guess not all areas are protected.

Time to clear the air…

Thank you for the explanation.

Yes. It's much better to do damage to the actual monorail or beam than someone standing below it. This is how wheels work on most open wheel race cars now. They have a tether that attaches the wheel and/or some suspension bits to the car itself, in case the suspension arms break. That way, the tire doesn't fly up into the stands and kill people. It just bangs around on the bodywork of the car, which doesn't hurt anyone, including the driver. Granted, they have only been doing this in the past 10-15 years after some horrific accidents where spectators were killed or seriously injured. I see later that you say most of the area below the monorail has protection, but I guess not all areas are protected.

Yes but race cars are not dealing with a 600volt DC electrical bussbar. Other parts of the train are tethered and tied as needed for safety, but this is one of those areas where it is not safe to do so. A 3pound falling to the ground is much safer than an electrical fire on the train with guests aboard. And yes most ares where there is a guest walkway or other area where guests will be are covered with a safety ceiling. But of the 13+ miles the beams stretch, only about 45% of that is a guest area.

Yes they did, but that was an ordeal as well.
When they finally pushed our monorail to the TTC station at around 5AM (broke down at 1am), when the doors finally opened, I still vividly remember the look on the CM's face when the "locker room" smell hit her (I can laugh now). They gave us all water which was great and needed, then they had us go to a CM whom took our names/information and what resort we were staying at if staying onsite etc. But instead of letting us go on our way, they started to try and compensate us right then and there:( Here is the best part, we have been up almost 24 hrs and they were offering us MVMCP tickets for that night:eek: I told her that we were just up all night and do not want to be up late that day too. I then said that my infant daughter is crying, my other DD was still scared and us parents are totally exhausted and that we just wanted to get back to our hotel room. They would not give up:( and offered MVMCP tickets for 2 or 3 nights later. The CM noticed the look on my face change drastically and just said that she was sorry for the ordeal and that someone from guest services will contact us or we could call them and then said there was trams and buses waiting and let us go.
I'm so sorry. The customer service stories I've read in here are horrifying. I think the Disney company is remarkably lucky that they are so powerful. That's an absolutely ridiculous way to have handled that. Water & assurance of safety should have been priority one. Priority two, document the names with contact information, and give you a direct line to a customer service manager. Three, offer personal service back to your lodging. Everything else could have been handled more gracefully later, after guests had been given time to recover. Four hours in an enclosed space with no tempurature control in Florida without access to water or restrooms is a long long time. Especially when most people sleep those hours.

I think it's ridiculous they won't replace these trains. It's bad press when pieces are falling off and it's trending on Facebook. The time is long overdue and I feel it's only going to get worse for the trains given they're way past their lifespan

Yes but race cars are not dealing with a 600volt DC electrical bussbar. Other parts of the train are tethered and tied as needed for safety, but this is one of those areas where it is not safe to do so. A 3pound falling to the ground is much safer than an electrical fire on the train with guests aboard. And yes most ares where there is a guest walkway or other area where guests will be are covered with a safety ceiling. But of the 13+ miles the beams stretch, only about 45% of that is a guest area.

Metal contacting the bussbar would be bad. Thanks for the info. It sounds like no one was hurt, at least I hope so.

I think it's ridiculous they won't replace these trains. It's bad press when pieces are falling off and it's trending on Facebook. The time is long overdue and I feel it's only going to get worse for the trains given they're way past their lifespan
I'm looking to purchase DVC in the next 2-3 years. If the monorails don't get a serious upgrade before then I will most likely be crossing all of those resorts off my list!

90% Of the walkways under the train have a fallout protection of some type under them to prevent his. Where it happened today was over the Epcot parking lot. Where it is not as likely to have someone directly under the train as a walkway would.

And I doubt the bolt was from one to the trains, the bolts on the trains are like aircraft bolts and are all tied with wire. To prevent loose fasteners.

take off the Disney rose colored glasses. the monorails need to be updated or replaced a.s.a.p. i try to ride them as little as possible, but the monorail is such a part of WDW history i find them irresistable, and always get in a ride or two during our trip. kinda like rolling the dice.....

take off the Disney rose colored glasses. the monorails need to be updated or replaced a.s.a.p. i try to ride them as little as possible, but the monorail is such a part of WDW history i find them irresistable, and always get in a ride or two during our trip. kinda like rolling the dice.....
I don't think he was saying they don't need to be updated. He is just presenting facts on the situation.

I don't think he was saying they don't need to be updated. He is just presenting facts on the situation.

What Ryan said, I would love to see the next generation of trains as well but unfortunily that is a ways off. However I can say now that since they've done the train control updates that new trains will be sooner than we were predicting.

Metal contacting the bussbar would be bad. Thanks for the info. It sounds like no one was hurt, at least I hope so.
No injuries.

I'm looking to purchase DVC in the next 2-3 years. If the monorails don't get a serious upgrade before then I will most likely be crossing all of those resorts off my list!
Don't let the monorail Ben the decided factor. Updates are coming but I can't say if they'll be done in the next three years. Resorts like PV and Contemp are great DVC resorts.

Don't let the monorail Ben the decided factor. Updates are coming but I can't say if they'll be done in the next three years. Resorts like PV and Contemp are great DVC resorts.
There are so many pros and cons to each of the DVC resorts. Which is why it is going to take me 2-3 years to make a decision :confused3:rotfl:

The reason why that piece of in between is fiberglass is so that for any reason and obstacle be in the way the shoe itself and the bussbar, the shoe can break free and not do damage to the bussbar along the beam or the train.
Do they know why it broke off? Was there a break in the bussbar that caused it?

The bottom line is....well the bottom line. Gotta satisfy the most important people.....the stock holder:(

When you look at the monorail, that piece he is holding does not look like the thing touching the bar... There are 4 shoes on each side of the train, so that tells us there is some redundancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter