Monorail Crawl

disneyjr77

DIS Veteran
We decided (if we can fit it into our week) to do a monorail crawl. On average how long does it take? Is it a whole day or half day thing? Do you have any tips/tricks on doing one? I'm pretty sure we want to end up at Trader Sam's, and if possible do 'Ohana for dinner on that day. Is that too much?

I originally planned on doing (and might still depending on timelines) MK on a party day then heading over to 'Ohana for dinner, Trader Sam's after dinner, then walking ot the Poly beach for Halloween fireworks. Then i thought Hey! what if we could add a monorail crawl to this day lol

We are staying on property and use Disney transportation, so no worries there.

My husband and I did it on our anniversary trip back in May. It took the full evening I would say from about 6/7 to 10/11 when we headed back to the resort. You can do any combination of places you like and in the order you would like to do them. Eating a full dinner in the restaurant at Ohana will definitely eat up more time than just visiting the various lounges/bars and eating light apps etc. Also, you have to consider the transportation/security check times even though it's just the monorail or possibly boat, sometimes it takes longer than anticipated! We did GF lounge for a drink/music, Contemporary lounge for a drink, took the boat to Wilderness for apps/light dinner and ended up at the Poly for Trader Sam's/night caps. It was a fun night!

My plan is to do this on my arrival night. I am staying at WL. My plan is to start at GF Enchanted Rose, then hit the Poly for Trader Sam's - the worry there is the wait! Then Outer Rim, then boat back to WL for territory lounge and bed! I have no idea how long it will take though, or even if I will make it through all of them in one night!

My husband and I did it on our anniversary trip back in May. It took the full evening I would say from about 6/7 to 10/11 when we headed back to the resort. You can do any combination of places you like and in the order you would like to do them. Eating a full dinner in the restaurant at Ohana will definitely eat up more time than just visiting the various lounges/bars and eating light apps etc. Also, you have to consider the transportation/security check times even though it's just the monorail or possibly boat, sometimes it takes longer than anticipated! We did GF lounge for a drink/music, Contemporary lounge for a drink, took the boat to Wilderness for apps/light dinner and ended up at the Poly for Trader Sam's/night caps. It was a fun night!

I didn't think about security for each stop. Maybe we'll do lunch at MK, then head out around 4 and snack the rest of the night. I need to sit down and take a good look at what we want to do vs. what we have time to do. I really want to eat at 'Ohana this year, DD13 is super picky and won't eat there so since it's just DF and I we're taking full advantage of being able to eat where we want. We also want to do the KttK tour, which gives us another MK day...maybe we can do 'Ohana that night.

When we have DD13 it's so much easier to plan. Now that we have a wide open world with flexibility, it's a lot harder.

My plan is to do this on my arrival night. I am staying at WL. My plan is to start at GF Enchanted Rose, then hit the Poly for Trader Sam's - the worry there is the wait! Then Outer Rim, then boat back to WL for territory lounge and bed! I have no idea how long it will take though, or even if I will make it through all of them in one night!

I worry about the wait for Trader Sam's also

You say no worry about transportation as you are staying on site - but if you are implying the monorail it should certainly be a concern. Even using bus/boat you may spend (or at least feel like you are spending) as much time on transportation (and security as mentioned) and talking about what is going on that actually being places. This is fine, just be prepared. IMO, catching a "buzz" etc. isn't really possible due to this. My husband and I tried this last year and incurred $50 in Uber charges because the monorail went out on our first leg and was down the remainder of our night. Also, if you are doing this for the "atmosphere" (which would be the obvious reason to do the crawl) I would consider doing it in the evening... since you won't be hitting each spot for a full meal, you could certainly visit a handful of places in one evening. There will probably not be as much of an "adult" atmosphere (getting a little rowdy, randomly meeting people, etc. ) during the daytime. Unless you are going during very peak time, I would just plan on doing places that can fit you in (being open to sitting at the bar helps) and keep is casual. Trying to plan in a reservation might work against the "vibe" you are going for. Plus, you have the entire rest of your vacation (and will be forced) to check your watch.

You say no worry about transportation as you are staying on site - but if you are implying the monorail it should certainly be a concern. Even using bus/boat you may spend (or at least feel like you are spending) as much time on transportation (and security as mentioned) and talking about what is going on that actually being places. This is fine, just be prepared. IMO, catching a "buzz" etc. isn't really possible due to this. My husband and I tried this last year and incurred $50 in Uber charges because the monorail went out on our first leg and was down the remainder of our night. Also, if you are doing this for the "atmosphere" (which would be the obvious reason to do the crawl) I would consider doing it in the evening... since you won't be hitting each spot for a full meal, you could certainly visit a handful of places in one evening. There will probably not be as much of an "adult" atmosphere (getting a little rowdy, randomly meeting people, etc. ) during the daytime. Unless you are going during very peak time, I would just plan on doing places that can fit you in (being open to sitting at the bar helps) and keep is casual. Trying to plan in a reservation might work against the "vibe" you are going for. Plus, you have the entire rest of your vacation (and will be forced) to check your watch.
I thought about the monorail. I tried to eliminate as much as possible, so, either monorail or walk (if the path is open) from MK to GF, then walk to Poly, then monorail to contemporary then boat to WL. Fingers crossed this is going to be OK. If not, I can always bail and do them piecemeal over the holiday.

I meant as far as drinking and driving when i mentioned staying on property.

All great things to think about. I think it's more of a this would be fun to do this and try different places as opposed to getting buzzed or anything. We want to try the Seven Seas Lagoon drink at The Wave Lounge, and DF loves sushi so he wants to get that at some point.

We did it one evening a few years ago. We probably spent 3 hours...maybe a little more. One word of caution...this isn't like drinking around the world in Epcot. I find the Epcot drinks to be pretty light on the alcohol. The resort drinks are far more potent, so make sure you're pacing yourself and possibly incorporate some food.

We did it one evening a few years ago. We probably spent 3 hours...maybe a little more. One word of caution...this isn't like drinking around the world in Epcot. I find the Epcot drinks to be pretty light on the alcohol. The resort drinks are far more potent, so make sure you're pacing yourself and possibly incorporate some food.

Good to know! I assumed they were like Epcot, which is another reason i wasn't going into it thinking we would "feel it" becasue we can't afford all that lol

We're doing it after our wedding ceremony in October.
Hoping to hit trader Sam's first as I've heard it can get crazy busy, try the tamba lounge then head off to the grand Floridian, do 2 bars there then end at contemporary to drink and watch the fireworks.
I realise things can happen - transport breaking down, lounges being too full to get into but it will still be a fun evening to do this.
Will probably set off from AKL at 1:30 ish then go from there

https://www.disboards.com/threads/monorail-crawl-recommendations.3791265/post-61543927
☝This was our recent Monorail Crawl experience, and we LOVED IT! I would plan on at least a half a day so that you're not overly rushed trying to slam drinks and go from one place to the next. We tried to figure at least 45 minutes at each bar so that we could enjoy ourselves, grab an appetizer, mingle with other monorail crawlers, etc. Also, I would highly recommend trying to plan it where you can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the top floor California Grill outdoor observation deck! 🎆🎆 So cool!

The bao sliders at Trader Sams are good, and Kona Cafe (or the little bar outside it) has sushi. You could always nibble around and skip Ohana. (That’s personally what I’d do.). Couple of apps at each place and top it off with a Dole whip!! Mmmmmm I’m jealous

We do a Monorail crawl each trip!

I love changing our route. We have started at Trader Sams as it is easier to deal with the crowds and have finished at the Poly, but not at Trader Sams.

We like to get a Lapu Lapu at the Tambu lounge and take it down to the beach to watch the fireworks.

We like The Wave, California Grill, the old Mizners and Ciricos. Any combo is great and super fun.

We have always used the monorail and have had no issues. We take Lyft to and from our resort on property.

We did a MK Deluxe "crawl" while we were there in December. We left MK around lunch and took the boat to Wilderness Lodge. We ate lunch at Giser's Point, then took the boat to the Contemporary. We got a drink at the Outer Rim, then took the monorail to the Poly. We got Lapu Lapu's at Tambu Lounge and then finished it out at The Enchanted Rose. By the time we finished, it was time for us to head back to the park for the Christmas Party! We got dinner then in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!