Moonlight Magic at Typhoon Lagoon

Check in early and get there early. Disney bus there will work but it stops at DS first. I only saw a few of these running late when we left around 10:15. If you drive (we did) expect crazy traffic after 7 and worse going back. If you drive back in the direction towards World Drive, there is heavy construction so be patient. The road backs up with traffic from the party and DS.
I found the Mears buses smelly and I couldn't tolerate it. That's why we drove. They also picked up after 7 closer to 7:30.

This was my first moonlight magic event. Bear with me, as I live in CA and haven't been to Typhoon Lagoon in quite some time.

Traffic - Get there early. Too many cars converging at Typhoon Lagoon at once. Turning left from Disney Springs into the park only about 5-6 cars could turn left per green light. The trailing cars often "blocked the box."
Parking - Overflow was on the grass up the access road. I got into the parking lot at 810ish and got a spot in the 3rd to last row in the paved lot.
Towels - free/provided.
Lockers - for purchase.
Snacks - Cookies, bags of chips, ice cream bars and popsicles. No food stands were open.
Drinks - Water and lemonade (from dispensers, not bottled). Bar was open by the wave pool.
Merchandise - Besides normal stuff, I only noticed one unique moonlight magic t-shirt for purchase. Both mens and women's sizes. $27.99
Rides/Slides - Everything appeared open, though I did not go over to the tube slide side. The Slush n Gusher and Miss Adventure Falls was open.
Waits - The sign for Miss Adventure Falls topped at 60min, but I do not believe it was ever that long. I entered at 1015 with the wait time a posted 45min, but it took about 20 min to get into a raft. For the Slush n Gusher, the line was constantly out past the entry sign for a good part of the night until late. However, being unfamiliar with the ride, I didn't know that you had to wait for a tube first. Ended up riding at 1115pm with all but a 5 minute wait up top. The longest wait I experienced was the Storm Slides. For that I got in line at 830ish.

I will say that there were way more people than I expected, but then again I haven't been to TL in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSL

D-Trick, you mentioned way more people than you thought. I felt that way last year....it was amazing to see all those DVC Members!

D-Trick, you mentioned way more people than you thought. I felt that way last year....it was amazing to see all those DVC Members!

Agree... to an extent. When each member can bring up to 5 guests, I didn't know who was a member and who wasn't! =P

Check in early and get there early. Disney bus there will work but it stops at DS first. I only saw a few of these running late when we left around 10:15. If you drive (we did) expect crazy traffic after 7 and worse going back. If you drive back in the direction towards World Drive, there is heavy construction so be patient. The road backs up with traffic from the party and DS.
I found the Mears buses smelly and I couldn't tolerate it. That's why we drove. They also picked up after 7 closer to 7:30.

Thank you - this is very helpful and solidified my choice to drive versus take the bus. Our plan will be to check in at the resort and get wristbands as soon as they start doing that (thinking roughly 6pm?), and then head straight over to TL. I would rather be there and wait to get in than be stuck in traffic, so this will be the best way to avoid that as much as possible. Coming home I'm fine to be patient waiting through traffic, though may try to reroute to avoid the construction you mentioned. Thanks again for this post!

This was my first moonlight magic event. Bear with me, as I live in CA and haven't been to Typhoon Lagoon in quite some time.

Traffic - Get there early. Too many cars converging at Typhoon Lagoon at once. Turning left from Disney Springs into the park only about 5-6 cars could turn left per green light. The trailing cars often "blocked the box."
Parking - Overflow was on the grass up the access road. I got into the parking lot at 810ish and got a spot in the 3rd to last row in the paved lot.
Towels - free/provided. ...

(sorry, I should have multi-quoted!) Another very helpful post; thank you!

Somewhere I think I read someone who mentioned there being a pin for the event. Did anyone see a Moonlight Magic pin, or did I read that wrong? I'm not interested in the shirt, but the pin might grab me.

On the characters -- did any of them sign autographs, or just photos? Were they out the whole time, or was there a schedule?

Photopass Photographers -- were there any?

Thanks again everyone for such helpful reports and information. I really appreciate it! n2mm - we'll be there on the 13th, too!

(sorry, I should have multi-quoted!) Another very helpful post; thank you!

Somewhere I think I read someone who mentioned there being a pin for the event. Did anyone see a Moonlight Magic pin, or did I read that wrong? I'm not interested in the shirt, but the pin might grab me.

On the characters -- did any of them sign autographs, or just photos? Were they out the whole time, or was there a schedule?

Photopass Photographers -- were there any?

Thanks again everyone for such helpful reports and information. I really appreciate it! n2mm - we'll be there on the 13th, too!
Yes, there was a Moonlight Magic Pin.

We only saw the Photopass photographers at the meet and greets. They could have been more, but I didn't notice any and I remember commenting about wishing they were there.

If we have a waterpark AP . can we go inside to reg and get band? I know a pp said they were a platinum plus ap, just wondering if it makes a differnce?

Also, where will the characters be? We go next week.

As far as characters, for us Geni was the easiest. We stood in a short line for pictures as we were leaving the park. You can't miss him as you start to exit.

We got our bands at BC, no problem, no line!

We arrived at 7, we drove and enjoyed the lazy river for awhile, then treats, Wave pool and dancing. We left at 10, the party was going strong. It was a wonderful night!!

Bobbi

As far as characters, for us Geni was the easiest. We stood in a short line for pictures as we were leaving the park. You can't miss him as you start to exit.

We got our bands at BC, no problem, no line!

We arrived at 7, we drove and enjoyed the lazy river for awhile, then treats, Wave pool and dancing. We left at 10, the party was going strong. It was a wonderful night!!

Bobbi

What time did you get your bands at BC

Sometime around 6:30, probably a bit earlier, maybe 6:20.
Dvc person will get there at about 5:55 and registration starts at 6 on the dot. It's on the beach club side where you'd check in (just left of when you walk in the door).

We drove and got there about 6:15. First in line at park with bands. Didn't matter since they wouldn't let you in. Got held with everyone until about 6:45 then we all got let in.
Had a blast.

Dvc person will get there at about 5:55 and registration starts at 6 on the dot. It's on the beach club side where you'd check in (just left of when you walk in the door).

We drove and got there about 6:15. First in line at park with bands. Didn't matter since they wouldn't let you in. Got held with everyone until about 6:45 then we all got let in.
Had a blast.

Great - this is exactly my plan (but from the Poly).
Glad to read everyone's reports of a great time at this event!

I think it's been asked but I didn't see the answer... do you have to check in at the DVC resort you are staying at? Or can you check in at any DVC resort and then drive over to TL?

I think it's been asked but I didn't see the answer... do you have to check in at the DVC resort you are staying at? Or can you check in at any DVC resort and then drive over to TL?
I am not 100% certain, but when we checked in at our resort, the CM had a tablet that he looked up our reservation. I would imagine that you could check in at any resort since it was all electronic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter