Moonlight Magic Reservations-help!

We've been to Moonlight Magic in Magic Kingdom twice (March 2017 and January 2018), and we're booked for the Hollywood Studios event Sept. 19. The March and January trips were long weekend trips in which we hit both DAH and Moonlight Magic. It was just the two of us at the 2017 event. In January, we took my niece, so there were three of us. The Hollywood Studios event just so happens to align with our "big" weeklong trip we take every fall, so that was just fortuitous timing. It'll just be the two of us for this upcoming one.

We don't live local - we're eight hours away, in fact. So not everyone who's been to multiple events is a local booking a one-night stay. We just have flexible work schedules and annual passes, so we're able to head down for three or four nights multiple times a year when special events come up. We did that last month (with 11 days' notice!) for the Passholder event at Magic Kingdom!

I hope Disney doesn't change the booking process for these special events. It's just reality that some people won't get in -- we weren't able to get in for the Passholder early morning event at Hollywood Studios, for instance. You win some, you lose some. But I don't know of any system that would be completely fair. I sure hope they don't go back to the lottery system. We did that in 1999 for the New Year's Eve millennium celebration, and it was nerve-wracking waiting to find out if we got a room. Luckily we did (at Boardwalk Villas), and it was awesome. But I like having more control over my own destiny than leaving it up to chance! :-)

I think this is exactly what they're going to do. These parties are expensive.

They have always been expensive. Yet DVC continues to expand the number of dates.

They'll blame the dissatisfaction of members with the process on why they discontinue them.

Anecdotally, I suspect the number of members who are thrilled with the parties far outweigh those who are upset. The Member Mixers persevered for more than a decade, despite the fact that owners who visited during the other 48 weeks out of the year had no comparable offering. As well as those who had conflicting plans by time dates were announced.

I know they've said they'll continue them next year, but I will be very interested to see how long they actually continue.

There are no guarantees, but it's worth noting that similar parties are just being introduced for Passholders, a group that likely outnumbers DVC members. There are certainly more Passholders right in the Central Florida area with easy access to the parks on any announced party evening, thus more people who are turned away.

This is only the 3rd year for the Moonlight Magic parties and all of the details (dates, booking dates) were revealed nearly a year ahead of time. They've made subtle changes to booking process (online), food distribution, expanded to new parks. IMO, it's a little premature to start playing the "Disney is going to neglect it until it dies" card.

People have been using similar logic to foreshadow the end of pool hopping for 20 years now.

We've been to Moonlight Magic in Magic Kingdom twice (March 2017 and January 2018), and we're booked for the Hollywood Studios event Sept. 19. The March and January trips were long weekend trips in which we hit both DAH and Moonlight Magic. It was just the two of us at the 2017 event. In January, we took my niece, so there were three of us. The Hollywood Studios event just so happens to align with our "big" weeklong trip we take every fall, so that was just fortuitous timing. It'll just be the two of us for this upcoming one.

We don't live local - we're eight hours away, in fact. So not everyone who's been to multiple events is a local booking a one-night stay. We just have flexible work schedules and annual passes, so we're able to head down for three or four nights multiple times a year when special events come up. We did that last month (with 11 days' notice!) for the Passholder event at Magic Kingdom!

I hope Disney doesn't change the booking process for these special events. It's just reality that some people won't get in -- we weren't able to get in for the Passholder early morning event at Hollywood Studios, for instance. You win some, you lose some. But I don't know of any system that would be completely fair. I sure hope they don't go back to the lottery system. We did that in 1999 for the New Year's Eve millennium celebration, and it was nerve-wracking waiting to find out if we got a room. Luckily we did (at Boardwalk Villas), and it was awesome. But I like having more control over my own destiny than leaving it up to chance! :-)
I agree with you. We live 16 hours away. We go for 7-10 days twice per year. We just missed all of the events last year. We got lucky this year and were there for the one at AK in April and somehow got this one on the 19th. We aren’t local, don’t book just one night, and have no “secret” to booking these. Actually I was on my cell phone at work hitting refresh for 30 minutes. No multiple devices even. I also missed out on the passholder event. I also don’t want a lottery, I’d rather just know if I got it or not right away.

I agree with you. We live 16 hours away. We go for 7-10 days twice per year. We just missed all of the events last year. We got lucky this year and were there for the one at AK in April and somehow got this one on the 19th. We aren’t local, don’t book just one night, and have no “secret” to booking these. Actually I was on my cell phone at work hitting refresh for 30 minutes. No multiple devices even. I also missed out on the passholder event. I also don’t want a lottery, I’d rather just know if I got it or not right away.

I also essentially had one browser going. Again, I tried on my phone for about 1 minute when I thought my computer was freezing up. Once I realized that it was just how it worked, I closed it on my phone. I am not someone that you would consider lucky or unlucky in general, and I got in. I also was manually refreshing. I just cannot sit there watching a spinning wheel. I'm too impatient. I had to do something to convince myself that I was helping it along, and that something was clicking refresh. Since others mentioned just letting it refresh itself, and they got in, I don't think this actually helped me register. However, it helped me feel like I was doing something.

I also essentially had one browser going. Again, I tried on my phone for about 1 minute when I thought my computer was freezing up. Once I realized that it was just how it worked, I closed it on my phone. I am not someone that you would consider lucky or unlucky in general, and I got in. I also was manually refreshing. I just cannot sit there watching a spinning wheel. I'm too impatient. I had to do something to convince myself that I was helping it along, and that something was clicking refresh. Since others mentioned just letting it refresh itself, and they got in, I don't think this actually helped me register. However, it helped me feel like I was doing something.
I hit refresh myself because it said it would refresh itself after 10 seconds. So I figured I could try multiple times in that 10 seconds. :confused3It worked.

I hit refresh myself because it said it would refresh itself after 10 seconds. So I figured I could try multiple times in that 10 seconds. :confused3It worked.

HAHAHA. I had the exact same logic. I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel better. :thumbsup2

Great! Next time I will use five devices and manually refresh. But seriously, I emailed my disappointment and have had no response. One week to next attempt...

Unfortunately opening multiple browser windows is just the most rationale things to do, given how the system works.
If the browser session crashes, because of a user problem or more likely a server problem, you loose your place in the queue.
How modern ticket booking systems work (last I used: to book Harry Potter play tickets for the first batch released in London, when practically the whole world was trying to get in) is that they assign you a session with a browser cookie and checking your IP number, so even if you close the window and reopen the browser you still go back in the same position in the queue. It also showed your position in the queue and an estimate of the time remaining so you had a feeling that you were slowing progressing. A spinning wheel is not an acceptable queuing system.
I'm sorry but I do not feel guilty to try to mitigate the risk of loosing the session opening multiple windows because the people who developed the queue system didn't know what they were doing.

I think this is exactly what they're going to do. These parties are expensive. They'll blame the dissatisfaction of members with the process on why they discontinue them. I know they've said they'll continue them next year, but I will be very interested to see how long they actually continue.

Or it will morph into a special ‘for fee’, member only event. Maybe discounted perhaps 50% from going rate they offer now for special evening event hours open to general public. Lack of participation would likely ensure a quick demise.

I’ve been trying since the Soarin member wednesday started, totally shut out. If they instituted a nominal fee of $5 - $10 PP, it’d probably be much easier to book. I just keep swimming, someday I’ll luck out there

That said, the 3rd of July party @ CR has been a very tough grab the last two years and it’s not exactly cheap.:scratchin

I’ve worked hard/been very lucky to do a few of the events. However, I feel it’s fair if they decide to limit the original signup to only those who have not participated in one the last 12 months. After a week, then open it up to all those with reservations. That would probably be a logistical nightmare but would even the playing field a bit.

Well now I am frustrated. Entered all our info, tried to click the final button to confirm, and the event is full :/

Was in queue slightly before and then right at 9 (separate computers just in case), finally after 10+ minutes it says it's full. Never even got to a form ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This was extremely annoying. I was on 4 different devices. Never got in.

Me too.
We actually have resort reservations, but I missed the August 30 booking time, because I was not able to access the internet then. I had 3 windows open at 9 am this morning. Nothing.
I did not realize this was SUCH a hot commodity. Live and learn, I guess.

So frustrated... we were inline at 9AM on 8/30 and couldnt get tickets either. We based our annual trip around this event... There has got to be a better way.

Is the event sold out? I'm still getting the message that the page will refresh every 10 seconds?? If it is sold out I need to get back to work but I don't want to give up if there is still a chance.

I just dont think it is right to hold events where all DVC members cannot get in. You are just setting up events for a lot of people to be frustrated and disappointed. We all pay the same dues, so to leave something like this up to chance seems highly unfair. Especially if you are part of a family that only goes once a year.

It's very disappointing. I guess I'll spend the evening at Universal instead. Maybe go to Halloween Horror Nights.

Me too.
We actually have resort reservations, but I missed the August 30 booking time, because I was not able to access the internet then. I had 3 windows open at 9 am this morning. Nothing.
I did not realize this was SUCH a hot commodity. Live and learn, I guess.
I had to work on August 30 and had no chance to even try.

Could not get in either. Tried on the original booking day and today. Disney IT really needs an upgrade and they need to change the way this event is booked. Even if I was able to get tickets, the process just sucks. Such a time sucker. Off to work to make money to give to Disney while not enjoying Disney Vacation Club Membership Extras. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter