• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More help questions with the Meal plans -can anyone help me with this?

lillykat

DIS Veteran
Ok for those who have been so nice to help me I have another question.

I look at mousesavers and they say if you do adult meals you can come out ahead or at least equal.

Ok - I am trying to get DFH to agree to this so someone please help me to justify spending that money to him.

I sat down and looked at menus at wdwig and found if we ate lunch at:
Sci fi, Rainforest cafe, marrakesh, san angel inn, le cellier, rose & crown, and tappenyaki. If we did full meals it only came out to about $355.

Dinners at:
California grill, citricos, narcossees, luau, jiko, flying fish, and Bistro de Paris. It came to about $660.

If we included taxes, gratituities, and then two tickets to Cirque - we would be only around 1400 at most. NOW I could be REALLY off with my numbers. We did think we would maybe rent a water mouse and do some other small things - we are staying concierge but might do some buffets breakfast for characters.

Ok - so if we did gold it would cost us $1946. Silver plan would be $952. But since we are doing the more expensive restuarants we would be using both wishes on dinner and would not get Cirque out of the package.

SO can anyone help me here - am I really off - or how does it work - I hear people saying they make it just off the meals alone but I don't see how that is possible - am I just really undercutting it - I really want to sell this to DFH help me!

Well, I don't think I'd stay concierge with the Gold Plan myself. I wouldn't want to pay the extra when 3 meals a day are already included. You would save some money there to help your room cost and it would boost your total on the plan, too. Most importantly, you'd get to try more restaurants!

When we would do the plan, besides three meals per day my guys would golf (clubs are included so it's a good chance to try even if you don't play much), we'd rent the larger boats as well as the water sprites and we often did a dinner show. If you like to fish, do an early morning fishing excursion. We aren't fishermen and my husband did it with the kids a couple of times over the years anyway and had a ball. At one point, the fireworks cruises were included although never listed as an option.

On two meals/day alone, I don't think you'll be able to justify the cost although most servers we had encouraged us to order anything we wanted.:teeth:

We did the Gold plan and last march. Our average meal for 2 would have cost us $110. Some more some less. Just to let you know. Rainforest cafe would have been one of our most expensive meals. Our server had many suggestions to get the most from the plan. My bf had crab legs and our server talked him into adding on a filet mignon. Our meal would've been $140 with apps and desserts.
I hope that helps you decide.

Originally posted by lillykat

- I hear people saying they make it just off the meals alone but I don't see how that is possible - am I just really undercutting it - I really want to sell this to DFH help me!

I never have used them cause I am the same as you... just do not see how you are "saving" a thing unless you do a lot of extra activities or just want the luxury of not paying for anything on vacation. so I would like to hear also if anyone has reallycome out ahead with these ( my parents used them once and felt like they were robbed!!!lol)

If you use the Gold Plan as only a dining plan, you'd have to eat an awful lot to make it cost effective!! But it isn't just a meal plan. It includes unlimited recreational activities, tours, kids clubs (not going to help Lilykat!), health clubs, etc.. It also included fireworks cruises for a while. Don't know if it still does.

We used to do this plan almost every year and always came out ahead. However, that included golf for my guys and that adds up fast! In those days the plan was billed as 6 days, 5 nights, etc.. which also helped make it effective as you could start with breakfast on the first day and end with dinner on the sixth.

BTW Jann, I remember you asked what came with sandwiches at Kona. We just returned and my daughter had the pulled pork sandwich which came with fries and slaw. The sandwich was huge...she hardly put a dent in it.

I have done the gold plan 3 times since the late 80's ( back then it was called gold key ). The first two times it was worth it. the last time I chose it was late august 2002. I did do a fishing excursion for 5 people and ate 3 meals a day (including the hopp dee doo revue) during my stay. After booking this year's trip I started to do the math. It wound up costing us $400 or so. The other thing that started to bother me was the fact that I couldn't stop and try a turkey leg or something because I wanted to use my meal coupons to the fullest. they have changed the plan over the years so that you are doing less and less with the plan but the price stays the same. I am going to try it this christmas without the plan and see how it goes.

One other small thing to watch is if you have children under 3 they should not be deducting meal coupons. At the time my DS was 2 and 1/2 and they would ask his age and I would say 2. Low and behold the meal coupon balance would be minus 3 and not 2. after explaining the situation to a AKL CM where we were staying she refunded the spent meal coupons and we didn't have any other problems. Although I could have done without that during my vacation.

Originally posted by BCV23

BTW Jann, I remember you asked what came with sandwiches at Kona. We just returned and my daughter had the pulled pork sandwich which came with fries and slaw. The sandwich was huge...she hardly put a dent in it.
wow! what a good memory you have! that seems like ages ago when I asked that. thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter