More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsGlassSlipper

Mouseketeer
I hesitate a little to post this thread, as I love the Dis Unplugged and don't want to be flamed, but I'm sharing publicly, in case anyone else feels this way.

As I said, I love the show - I think the team is great and I never miss an episode of the flagship show. That said, I've been a little disappointed over the last couple years that none of the new regulars on the show have been women. I would love to see the cast add another woman in her 20s/30s whose voice I can relate to (or a woman of any age for that matter). For example, I think Kylie is fantastic when she does vlogs with Ryno and Craig! Could she be a regular contributor on the main Dis Unplugged? I feel like ever since JL left, the new folks (both guests and regulars) have been men nine times out of ten. And it seems like Teresa and Kathy have been on the show less recently, so while the show is still enjoyable, it feels like it's missing something it once had. And while we once had The Trip, the entire Dis YouTube line just seems to be completely male dominated these days.

Watching the show today, my heart just sank a little as we got through all the introductions and there was not a female voice to be heard. Anyway, just one woman's opinion, but thought I'd speak up, in case anyone feels as I do.

All the best.

I know there are really practical reasons and someone else can rattle them off... I just want to come and give you big kudos for posting this anyways. :love:

Yeah, I get what you mean about the introductions, since we hear from the guys so much, it not a big deal since we see them 2, 3 or 4 times in a week. But when the ladies are there, it does kind of feel like a pleasant surprise.
Hey, look the guys are all great but the young guys are so heavily on the other content these day and then they are taking seats at the table on the main show.
I can easily rattle off the next time we are scheduled to see any of the male team members. But when we will see Teresa or Kathy again? It's always unknown, I wish they were more predictably in the rotation since I am big fans of both.
One thing in particular about Kathy, Teresa and Mary Jo I like, is they participate here often, I think it makes them even better contributors.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be, but don't Kathy and Teresa have other jobs? I was just guessing that it makes it harder for them to be on the podcast. I love it when Kathy, Teresa, and Julie are on the show too. I just assumed they have other commitments that makes it harder for them to be on the show at a consistent basis. I believe Craig an Steve are full time at the Dis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be, but don't Kathy and Teresa have other jobs? I was just guessing that it makes it harder for them to be on the podcast. I love it when Kathy, Teresa, and Julie are on the show too. I just assumed they have other commitments that makes it harder for them to be on the show at a consistent basis. I believe Craig an Steve are full time at the Dis.
Kathy and Teresa do have other jobs. Teresa works at the welcome center and as a travel agent. Kathy is also a travel agent.

I recognize that Kathy and Teresa have other jobs, which speaks to my original post that the Dis could include more than just the two of them (and Julie) in the regular rotation. More female full time Dis folks like Steve and Craig for example.

Thanks for the support @disneyland_is_magic

I didn't intend to post in a dramatic way, and personnel issues are always private to the company (rightfully), just expressing my voice of what I’d like to see more of in the show. Hope folks don’t take this the wrong way.

I do think more women would be great - it was an additional thing I enjoyed about the Trip. But a lot of it is logistics - and have others mentioned the people that work full time for the DIS vs the travel agency are guys so that is who you see in all the other content. I know for Teresa it is a decent drive and for Jackie it is even longer vs people that are much closer.

I know at one point they were looking to hire another producer - so could be an opportunity for women to apply and take that role (if they are still looking)

I do like that while perhaps not physically the team does bring other types of diversity - even in yesterday's show you had different ages, different sexuality, different marital status, some with kids some without, etc ... though obviously even more diversity would be welcome

See and I think the talent and the hard work of the ladies they have is already second to none. Is it logistically impossible to see them more? Probably so, and I get that. Does it stop me from expressing my tremendous respect? No.
The ladies on the podcast team have a huge amount of knowledge from Disney Parks to travel to the Dis community they are all just geographically in the wrong place. Let's take Jackie, who is Mom panel alum, does a tremendous amount of writing and knows the boards front and back. Or Tracey who is the walking bible on travel and her travel style really resonates with viewers. Then there is Mary Jo a moderator for the DL boards, listen to her list off each and every superthread or Disney trivia. Then there is Kathy and Teresa who have wisdom and front line feedback from guests. I am often both surprised and enlightened by their take on things. It's often unexpected.
I loved to see them more

Last edited:
I hesitate a little to post this thread, as I love the Dis Unplugged and don't want to be flamed, but I'm sharing publicly, in case anyone else feels this way.

As I said, I love the show - I think the team is great and I never miss an episode of the flagship show. That said, I've been a little disappointed over the last couple years that none of the new regulars on the show have been women. I would love to see the cast add another woman in her 20s/30s whose voice I can relate to (or a woman of any age for that matter). For example, I think Kylie is fantastic when she does vlogs with Ryno and Craig! Could she be a regular contributor on the main Dis Unplugged? I feel like ever since JL left, the new folks (both guests and regulars) have been men nine times out of ten. And it seems like Teresa and Kathy have been on the show less recently, so while the show is still enjoyable, it feels like it's missing something it once had. And while we once had The Trip, the entire Dis YouTube line just seems to be completely male dominated these days.

Watching the show today, my heart just sank a little as we got through all the introductions and there was not a female voice to be heard. Anyway, just one woman's opinion, but thought I'd speak up, in case anyone feels as I do.

All the best.

I basically agree, there could be more women on more often. But I like the chemistry so whatever works is fine with me. Do you watch the Dreams Unlimited Travel Show? Tracey is a key member and it’s a great show. It’s really come together and is something I look forward to each week.

I basically agree, there could be more women on more often. But I like the chemistry so whatever works is fine with me. Do you watch the Dreams Unlimited Travel Show? Tracey is a key member and it’s a great show. It’s really come together and is something I look forward to each week.
I watched some of the earlier episodes, but the topics seemed to veer a bit from my interests. But glad to hear your recommendation - I'll make a point to check it out again!

I think the OP expressed her opinion in a very respectful way and was not being dramatic at all. She knew it was a risky opinion as there are rabid fans of the show and the crew on here. She has a differing opinion. I think it is welcomed by the folks that run the show and businesses.

I, too, wouldn't mind a younger woman's perspective. Mixing things up with the staff could be really good for the show.

I do agree that there are certain things about the demographic around the table, whether for the Tuesday show or others, that differs from the group that I would like to hear from. Not to be negative, but sometimes the dining show needs to talk about what it would be like to eat at a restaurant with kids. Has anyone ever dined with their family with young children for a review? Looked at or even talked about a kid's menu? Those are the things that are important to me in making a dining decision at this point in my life. Again, that's not to diminish from the current content that they are producing, as they are fantastic, but it's a different viewpoint that I think is needed based on the typical Disney visitor, families with children.

I do agree that there are certain things about the demographic around the table, whether for the Tuesday show or others, that differs from the group that I would like to hear from. Not to be negative, but sometimes the dining show needs to talk about what it would be like to eat at a restaurant with kids. Has anyone ever dined with their family with young children for a review? Looked at or even talked about a kid's menu? Those are the things that are important to me in making a dining decision at this point in my life. Again, that's not to diminish from the current content that they are producing, as they are fantastic, but it's a different viewpoint that I think is needed based on the typical Disney visitor, families with children.

JL used to do content like this! She always gave the POV of a "mom in the parks"

All the best.

I agree 100% and have felt this way for a very long time now. Thank you for posting this.

No need to feel concerned about sharing here. Both positive and negative criticism of the show are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!