Moving to Melbourne, Florida

Well we are OFFICIALLY moving to Melbourne!! Dh accepted their offer today! We've started looking at housing and I think we want to be in the Viera/Suntree areas. I see Satellite Beach pop up as a place to live, but I'm not too interested in living on the island.

Sorry I'm late to the game on this thread, but we live on the island in Indialantic. I'm not sure where you bought, but I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Sorry I'm late to the game on this thread, but we live on the island in Indialantic. I'm not sure where you bought, but I'd be glad to answer any questions.
We ended up buying in Viera and I’m so excited! We don’t move until the end of June. I don’t have any questions right now but if I think of any I’ll be sure to message you

We ended up buying in Viera and I’m so excited! We don’t move until the end of June. I don’t have any questions right now but if I think of any I’ll be sure to message you

Awesome! We have friends in Viera and I love going to visit them. Such nice stores and restaurants at the Avenues! Welcome to Brevard. You'll love it here. It's such a nice place to live and to raise a family.

Edited to add - I saw that you were asking about hurricanes. My friends in Viera are our backup evac. plan because we are in the mandatory evacuation zone. I think you will be fine there. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't leave the island for anything less than a 3. We normally head to Orlando if we are under mandatory but I told hubby that next time we should just go to Viera.

Awesome! We have friends in Viera and I love going to visit them. Such nice stores and restaurants at the Avenues! Welcome to Brevard. You'll love it here. It's such a nice place to live and to raise a family.

Edited to add - I saw that you were asking about hurricanes. My friends in Viera are our backup evac. plan because we are in the mandatory evacuation zone. I think you will be fine there. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't leave the island for anything less than a 3. We normally head to Orlando if we are under mandatory but I told hubby that next time we should just go to Viera.
We got a chance to walk around the avenue and eat at some restaurants. It’s such a nice area. I love that everyone drives golf carts around lol. There were quite a few kids even driving by themselves at the avenue.

That makes me feel so much better about the hurricanes. I know we aren’t in a flood zone or an evacuation zone. We got asked about flood insurance and I’m not sure if we should get it or not. Is it one of those things you just get for peace of mind? What do you think?

Do you know anything about the live music scene? We both play instruments and I’d like to get a band going. We play mostly classic rock.

We got a chance to walk around the avenue and eat at some restaurants. It’s such a nice area. I love that everyone drives golf carts around lol. There were quite a few kids even driving by themselves at the avenue.

That makes me feel so much better about the hurricanes. I know we aren’t in a flood zone or an evacuation zone. We got asked about flood insurance and I’m not sure if we should get it or not. Is it one of those things you just get for peace of mind? What do you think?

Do you know anything about the live music scene? We both play instruments and I’d like to get a band going. We play mostly classic rock.

We have flood insurance, but we also live a block from the open ocean lol. It's cheap enough. I think we pay like $400 a year. Ah yes, kids driving golf carts...it's crazy-making after a while. I'm not sure how they do it without licenses. I think it's probably not exactly legal. Golf carts are really common in Viera.

There seems to be quite the live music scene here. My oldest child is in orchestra so that's the extent of my involvement, but we do a LOT of events with the orchestra. Brevard has a symphony orchestra, a youth symphony orchestra and lots of places with live music. The king center gets some pretty big acts in occasionally too. Also, community theater seems to be really big at least in my area. A lot of people are really into it.

In my area a lot of people go to Meg O'Malley's and other places in Downtown Melbourne for live music, but I'm sure there are places closer to you in Viera. They Eau Gallie Arts District has all kinds of art-related stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if there are bands over there too. I'm sure getting a band together wouldn't be difficult here. Are you on Nextdoor for your new neighborhood yet? Once you have closed on the house I think you can probably join. That's a great place to get info, arrange meetups with like-minded people, etc. Also, for beachside people it's a fantastic tool during storms. I imagine it's similar for Viera folks.

We have flood insurance, but we also live a block from the open ocean lol. It's cheap enough. I think we pay like $400 a year. Ah yes, kids driving golf carts...it's crazy-making after a while. I'm not sure how they do it without licenses. I think it's probably not exactly legal. Golf carts are really common in Viera.

There seems to be quite the live music scene here. My oldest child is in orchestra so that's the extent of my involvement, but we do a LOT of events with the orchestra. Brevard has a symphony orchestra, a youth symphony orchestra and lots of places with live music. The king center gets some pretty big acts in occasionally too. Also, community theater seems to be really big at least in my area. A lot of people are really into it.

In my area a lot of people go to Meg O'Malley's and other places in Downtown Melbourne for live music, but I'm sure there are places closer to you in Viera. They Eau Gallie Arts District has all kinds of art-related stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if there are bands over there too. I'm sure getting a band together wouldn't be difficult here. Are you on Nextdoor for your new neighborhood yet? Once you have closed on the house I think you can probably join. That's a great place to get info, arrange meetups with like-minded people, etc. Also, for beachside people it's a fantastic tool during storms. I imagine it's similar for Viera folks.
I think Dh mentioned it being $400 a year for us, too. I'm assuming we'll probably just go ahead and get it. We just weren't sure if we should since we really aren't in a flood zone. I think our house we bought is in between two flood zones, though so it may be a safer bet to just go ahead and get the insurance. I'm really surprised that kids are able to drive the golf carts through the parking lot like that. I was just waiting for one of the cars to back out and hit them. I have a feeling they aren't really supposed to be driving through like that without an adult.

We actually drove past Meg O'Malley's and our realtor suggested us going there sometime. I bet downtown Melbourne would be a better area for live music compared to the areas near Viera. We're used to playing in some pretty sketchy places and the ones in downtown Melbourne looked decent enough. Our current band that we just had to end was formed through Craigslist. I'd like to not have to do it that way again just because we found some real creeps by going that route. We did end up getting a really good band together, but we had to go through some weirdos first. I've never actually heard of Nextdoor before. I'll download the app and see if we can join the area and if not I'll wait until we close on the house. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone know any good places to join a softball or sand volleyball league? I’m not sure when the season starts but I’d love to join a team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter