Moving to Orlando- I'm almost there! Update 1/4 Arrival

Since we got back, our realtor gave us a virtual tour yesterday of a house we absolutely love. We put a bid and should hear back late tonight or early tomorrow. So fingers definitely crossed.

I didn't realize that the real estate market was that hot these days. While your trip was not immediately productive it sounds like it gave you a good understanding of the area and reinforced your decision to move.

Good luck on the offer!

I didn't realize that the real estate market was that hot these days. While your trip was not immediately productive it sounds like it gave you a good understanding of the area and reinforced your decision to move.

Good luck on the offer!

Pretty much this. When we went in to search, we heard that the market was hot. But having our spreadsheet of 30+ possible houses cut down to 2 was a pretty rude awakening.

We actually ended up being second high bid for the house we really liked :(

I'm pretty upset about it, they told us that we were second top bid to let us know if financing fell through with the top bidder they'd come to us.

We did a virtual tour of another really nice house last evening, and I just couldn't get into it because I thought the other house was so perfect. I know that's not a great attitude, I don't want to let something else good slip away because I am still fixated on the one we lost.

Bleh. Just not good.

Hi
Pretty much this. When we went in to search, we heard that the market was hot. But having our spreadsheet of 30+ possible houses cut down to 2 was a pretty rude awakening.

We actually ended up being second high bid for the house we really liked :(

I'm pretty upset about it, they told us that we were second top bid to let us know if financing fell through with the top bidder they'd come to us.

We did a virtual tour of another really nice house last evening, and I just couldn't get into it because I thought the other house was so perfect. I know that's not a great attitude, I don't want to let something else good slip away because I am still fixated on the one we lost.

Bleh. Just not good.

Hi I am sorry about the house hunting and bidding. We did try on one house when we thought my DH had a job in August. It was terrible we were with 5 other bidders and they were just out bidding us. It got really high. We are worried that when we are ready that we will have a hard time finding a house because they move so fast.

I am sorry you are the second bidder on the house you really liked, I hope things work out with it. It sounds like you did a lot in area search. We were so sure on the areas we liked so we didn't expand, now I am sorry I didn't because we may have to expand to be able to get something when we are ready. My DH has applied to many jobs but not looking good. The pandemic is putting a lot more unemployed people in play. I stay at home, I have an older DD who needs me here right now. I am hoping one day to go back even part time.

I hope things work out soon and please keep us posted. I will share information if I hear anything that might help you.

:goodvibes

Hi:

I read through your thread with interest. I am a FL native and have lived in west Orlando (near Dr. Phillips) for 17 years. We love the area and are about 25 minutes away from WDW. My son works at Universal and we are just 15 minutes from there. As others have indicated, you will want a pool in FL. It's probably cheaper to buy a house with a pool than to put one in after purchasing a home. HOA fees can be very high (and may increase yearly), so make sure you know all the possibilities of your desired neighborhood. Snakes are not really an issue, but bugs are. As others indicted, you will want a pest control service.

It's good that you will not have to commute for work. A commute on I-4 was a deal breaker for us. I work at UCF, so take the toll road, 408, to get to work, although I have been working remotely since March. Orange Co. property taxes are higher than other surrounding counties. Honestly, I love the west side of Orlando. Windermere, behind the Magic Kingdom, also has some nice neighborhoods. I don't know much about the Davenport, 4 Corners area. I do agree that Clermont is too far out. Winter Garden/Ocoee might be another possibility for you, but look at the areas well; there are some great areas for each and some not so great areas. There are lots of new neighborhoods going up off of the 429 toll road, very near Disney.

You mentioned you like movie theaters. The theaters in FL are not open all the time now, some only open on the weekends. But, Disney Springs and Universal City Walk both have theaters. "Restaurant Row" on Sand Lake Road has lots of nice restaurants too. It's "Magical Dining" now in Orlando where a lot of the high end restaurants offer a 3-course meal for $35. Typically this is only offered in Sept., but due to COVID and reduced restaurant capacity, it has been extended to Oct. 31.

Happy house hunting. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Hi OP haven't heard from you for awhile and just wondering how things are going for you? My DH is set with a job and our house hunting will start next week and I am getting nervous I know it is crazy right now.

I was wondering if any Floridians could help me with an area. We found a house in Rosemont Orlando and I did not look at that area when we were looking into it. We are looking in Orange and Seminole counties due to our kids going to UCF. Any feedback is welcome.

Hi, I am not the OP, but I have also been looking for a house to buy in Central Florida. There is a real shortage of houses on the market right now in that area, and I have not been able to find anything suitable yet. My realtor said that more homes should go on the market after the holidays, so I plan to try again then. Good luck to everyone else who is also looking!

Hi, I am not the OP, but I have also been looking for a house to buy in Central Florida. There is a real shortage of houses on the market right now in that area, and I have not been able to find anything suitable yet. My realtor said that more homes should go on the market after the holidays, so I plan to try again then. Good luck to everyone else who is also looking!

Thanks for the information it is helpful. Keep me posted!

Hopefully your realtors advice might be true. I wonder how many homes purchased for rental income have been sitting empty ,not earning their keep, and owners will have to decide to keep or not with New Year.
It varies with the time of year, but rental houses are still in rather high demand, at least for winter.

It’s not just a Florida. I’ve been trying to buy a house in Rhode Island. So far I’ve been outbid 2x. Both times I offered over asking price. My realtor, and good friend, told me I need to offer $20k over asking. I’m waiting till things calm down

I was wondering if any Floridians could help me with an area. We found a house in Rosemont Orlando and I did not look at that area when we were looking into it. We are looking in Orange and Seminole counties due to our kids going to UCF. Any feedback is welcome.

I'd say no. If you're in Orlando, generally, I'd look south and east.

Take a look at the overall crime map:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/crime
And then a scouting report about Rosemont:
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/rosemont

Last edited:

I live here and I think it depends on where you're looking and your price point. Affordable housing is very scarce here.

Hopefully your realtors advice might be true. I wonder how many homes purchased for rental income have been sitting empty ,not earning their keep, and owners will have to decide to keep or not with New Year.

For those, look in Kissimmee. The thing with a lot of those homes is that they're in resorts with high monthly fees.

We are moving to south Florida tomorrow.. well we are leaving because my DH job starts Monday. We will still have our house in Texas till I figure out where to live. We are staying in a hotel. We ran into snowbirds took all the afordable housing for rent so hotel life here we come.

Thank you very much this was very helpful:)

I think the second link will help because it will also give you some demographic info. Don't hesitate to drop a PM if you want to hash over a neighborhood.

And a new thing to consider if you were looking around Hunter's Creek - they're talking about running a train from the airport to Tampa with a stop around Disney Springs. The tracks could be going through Hunters Creek, but no decision has been made.

BTW - if your kids are going to drive to UCF, you may want to consider living somewhere with quick access to the 417.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!