Moving to UK next month

suzanna1066@comcast.

DIS Veteran
Hi
I am moving to the UK next month (yay!) and I am trying to finalize my budget. We are a family of 3. I am employed (being transferred to UK), my husband will be looking for a job once we arrive and we have a 13 year old daughter.
One question I have is on NHS deductions: I have been plugging my salary into various tax calculators and it gives me an NHS deduction but never asks if I have dependents---unemployed spouse, minor child so I am very unclear on if the NHS deduction is just for me or for all in my household----any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi, the NHS isn't an insurance model. Those earning a salary pay as part of your tax. Everyone is covered by the NHS, your whole family will be covered. There are private models in the UK which supplement the NHS (such as Bupa) that offer quicker / (in theory) better service.

Are you confusing this with National insurance contributions? This isn't healthcare cover as such, part of the money paid goes towards the NHS which will cover medical needs, also monies from it go towards state pension

The amount you pay in National Insurance contributions has no bearing at all on the availability of healthcare for you or your family. If you need a visit to a GP or Hospital, do not hesitate :)

NI actually contributes to the NHS as well as State Pensions etc.

Plug for the NHS based on our recent experience. On vacation in London when daughter falls ill... showed up at St Mary's Hospital emerg with credit card and Health Insurance papers in hand. Told to fill out a form and that was the end of it. Wow... such great service (at least for us on that day.) Very grateful. :thanks:

Now your question has been answered...Where about in the U.K. Are you moving to? X

On another Point

Remember if you are bringing USA electrical items which have 2 pin flat plugs to UK you will need

a Plug Adaptor ( 3 pin Flat )

USA 2 pin into a 3 pin UK

On another Point

Remember if you are bringing USA electrical items which have 2 pin flat plugs to UK you will need

a Plug Adaptor ( 3 pin Flat )

USA 2 pin into a 3 pin UK
And remember to check the voltage rating so you don't blow the items or yourself up!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts