Multiple Memberships

Pluto 32

Mouseketeer
I currently own two contracts under one membership with an ex spouse. I’m looking to purchase a third contract with the same use year with just my name on the deed and no one else.

I was told that unless the deed has the same name as the other two then I would be issued a different membership number regardless if it is the same use year or not. This is not ideal as I have heard two different membership numbers makes things a little bit more complicated.

When I contacted my ex to see if she would be willing for me to take her name off both of the deeds let’s just say that conversation didn’t go so well.

My question is if I purchase the third resell contract and I get issued a different membership number, what is the process in which I can combine points from the joint membership to my new single membership?

Is this an easy process or does the other person on the deed need to agree to have points taken away from the joint membership that they are on over to the membership that just I am listed as they will no longer have access to any points transferred the the single membership.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone has been through this process please advise me on the legalities and procedures of this scenario.

Thank you! °O°

You would have to have a seperate membership number since it is based on the ownership title.

Your Ex would not have to give permission to use the points. It’s like a joint bank account, either one of you can access the points.

Since you own the points together she could require you to purchase her interests in order to remove her name from the title.

Keep in mind that while you both have equal access to use the points you both have access to cancel a reservation

Since you are saying same UY, combining the points for use at 11 or 7 months is a little easier, but without transferring between your memberships you will potentially have to make separate reservations and link them. For example, Jun1-4 from contract A, Jun 4-7 from contract B. Two reservations but then MS can link them - Regarding cancellation as spoken of by”Jack”, also true but the new membership should not be visible by your ex with her sign on.

I currently own two contracts under one membership with an ex spouse. I’m looking to purchase a third contract with the same use year with just my name on the deed and no one else.

I was told that unless the deed has the same name as the other two then I would be issued a different membership number regardless if it is the same use year or not. This is not ideal as I have heard two different membership numbers makes things a little bit more complicated.

When I contacted my ex to see if she would be willing for me to take her name off both of the deeds let’s just say that conversation didn’t go so well.

My question is if I purchase the third resell contract and I get issued a different membership number, what is the process in which I can combine points from the joint membership to my new single membership?

Is this an easy process or does the other person on the deed need to agree to have points taken away from the joint membership that they are on over to the membership that just I am listed as they will no longer have access to any points transferred the the single membership.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone has been through this process please advise me on the legalities and procedures of this scenario.

Thank you! °O°
While not official, they will usually transfer points between separate master contracts of a single owner including banked/borrowed but it's case by case. What you may want to do is change your current ownership in some way so you can then combine with the new purchase. It's be good to separate things from the ex anyway.

Thank you! °O°
I would take a long look at the implications of leaving a membership under joint ownership when a relationship dissolves. Was the deed recorded as joint tenants with rights of survivorship? If so, and something happens to you, then she gets it all. What if she gets into financial trouble? The membership is an asset that would have to be sold. Who pays the dues and loan (if there is one)? Did you agree to split the costs? What if she doesn’t pay her share? My brother’s ex didn’t and they nearly lost their SSR contract of 250 points!

But to answer your question, both you and the ex have complete access to all of the points in the joint membership. DVC is not going to get involved in any personal issues as to who gets the points or when they get to use them other than what is set forth in the contract and POS. If you transfer points out of the joint account and into your solo account, then she has no recourse as far as Disney is concerned. The ethics of doing it behind her back aren’t in your favor. And legally...well that's what family court judges rule on all of the time. Just like one party can’t legally drain a joint bank account, a lot of judges would not look kindly on you draining the joint DVC account of its points should she take you to court over it. And what comes around, goes around. She could just as easily transfer points out of the account to a DVC-owning friend or family member without your consent.

If the two contracts that you own with the ex are equal, then offer to split the baby. You execute a quit claim deed for one if she does the same for the other. Have a lawyer handle it to make sure both parties adhere to the agreement and sign off on the paperwork. Break ups are costly but leaving this unaddressed could end up being a bigger headache.

While not official, they will usually transfer points between separate master contracts of a single owner including banked/borrowed but it's case by case. What you may want to do is change your current ownership in some way so you can then combine with the new purchase. It's be good to separate things from the ex anyway.

I thought the only way to do that is for her to agree to take her name off the deeds. Of course this costs money as well to get the documents re-titled and recorded. Either way she refused to take her name off so I can’t separate those contracts.

I would take a long look at the implications of leaving a membership under joint ownership when a relationship dissolves. Was the deed recorded as joint tenants with rights of survivorship? If so, and something happens to you, then she gets it all. What if she gets into financial trouble? The membership is an asset that would have to be sold. Who pays the dues and loan (if there is one)? Did you agree to split the costs? What if she doesn’t pay her share? My brother’s ex didn’t and they nearly lost their SSR contract of 250 points!

But to answer your question, both you and the ex have complete access to all of the points in the joint membership. DVC is not going to get involved in any personal issues as to who gets the points or when they get to use them other than what is set forth in the contract and POS. If you transfer points out of the joint account and into your solo account, then she has no recourse as far as Disney is concerned. The ethics of doing it behind her back aren’t in your favor. And legally...well that's what family court judges rule on all of the time. Just like one party can’t legally drain a joint bank account, a lot of judges would not look kindly on you draining the joint DVC account of its points should she take you to court over it. And what comes around, goes around. She could just as easily transfer points out of the account to a DVC-owning friend or family member without your consent.

If the two contracts that you own with the ex are equal, then offer to split the baby. You execute a quit claim deed for one if she does the same for the other. Have a lawyer handle it to make sure both parties adhere to the agreement and sign off on the paperwork. Break ups are costly but leaving this unaddressed could end up being a bigger headache.

The deed is listed as joint tenants in common (we were never legally married). I paid both of the contracts off so there is no loan and I have also paid 100% of all of the membership dues since the beginning. Still her name is listed on both contracts so legally she has 50% entitlement even though I’ve paid for everything.

She has no interest in taking her name off either contract (why would she since she’s getting all the benefits without paying a penny for it) nor does she want to split the contracts because she does not want to sell it.

So what happens when one person gets stuck paying all of the annual dues and the other person sits back and watches? I have to go to court? Another option that I really don’t want.

Ultimately I just wanted to avoid having two different memberships and having to transfer points between the two of them possibly having to make multiple reservations for the same trip. Ugh ‍♂️

The deed is listed as joint tenants in common (we were never legally married). I paid both of the contracts off so there is no loan and I have also paid 100% of all of the membership dues since the beginning. Still her name is listed on both contracts so legally she has 50% entitlement even though I’ve paid for everything.

She has no interest in taking her name off either contract (why would she since she’s getting all the benefits without paying a penny for it) nor does she want to split the contracts because she does not want to sell it.

So what happens when one person gets stuck paying all of the annual dues and the other person sits back and watches? I have to go to court? Another option that I really don’t want.

Ultimately I just wanted to avoid having two different memberships and having to transfer points between the two of them possibly having to make multiple reservations for the same trip. Ugh ‍♂️

Does she ever use the membership? If not then if you purchase the new contract in the same UY you could transfer the points every year from the old membership to the new membership and use them all together. And transferred points can be banked, just not borrowed. If it's the same UY then they can get transferred over and can be seen online. If it's a different resort then you would not be able to see them online.

I'm sure this stings as you've paid for everything but have you offered to buy her out? For a price she may be willing to have her name removed.

Stop paying the dues and let Disney foreclose. Or offer to split the two contracts between the two of you. You get one, she gets one. You'd have to retitle both of them, but it would leave you with one of your own. Of course, she would have to pay the annual fees on the one she owns. If you do keep them like they are and you transfer points from your contract, make sure you transfer points TO your new contract, not FROM your new contract. Otherwise, she has access to the new points, too. You'd be limited to one transfer in or out a year.

Or go to court and get it settled there.

That is correct, she'll have to sign to do it yourself. Or you could go through a lawyer and for the dissolution of the partnership. Just one more reason I recommend never doing partnerships where there's no legal protection, process. If you have good credit, stop payment may cause you a problem, if not, it may be a viable solution. If she has good credit you may be able to play off that if you threaten to stop payment as it may decrease her score and potentially cause problems there. If you do stop payment Disney will likely link them in terms of locking both accounts down so if you do anything along those lines make sure you're talking to DVCMC admin about the situation. Maybe you can buy her out, make her an offer she can't refuse so to speak or give her the chance to buy you out. In this situation if it were to go that way, you might petition DVC to waive the restrictions on you as a "new" member though I have no idea if they might or might not.

Have you been able to discern her motivations for wanting to keep the joint contracts?

If it’s financial, buy her out or sell both contracts and split proceeds. Yes, it stings if you paid the loans and MFs. But presumably she contributed financially or via time and effort for other assets or experiences that were shared during the course of the relationship?

If she just loves Disney, maybe keep one contract and give her the other, or offer to have her buy YOU out?

If she’s refusing to sign out of spite or as a means to try to maintain or rekindle the relationship... well, good luck with that.

Either way she refused to take her name off so I can’t separate those contracts.

Since you are exes, why doesn’t she want to give this up?

Dvc was the first thing we split during the divorce process. Ok I say split but we deeded it in my name and I simply took it over. It’s my thing.

As it stands she could use every single point. She could cancel all of your reservations. She could do almost anything she wants with it.

You could, too. Except. She could then cancel your reservations.

This is not a good situation.

Actually redeeding does not have to be that expensive. You can do it on your own (Dean has some posts about it) for almost nothing, you can spend about 400 per contract going with the company Dvc tells you to go with, it for about 200 per contract using LT Transfers like I did.

But first you have to make this happen. And I have a feeling that a lawyer or two will need to get involved.

Does she ever use the membership? If not then if you purchase the new contract in the same UY you could transfer the points every year from the old membership to the new membership and use them all together. And transferred points can be banked, just not borrowed. If it's the same UY then they can get transferred over and can be seen online. If it's a different resort then you would not be able to see them online.

I'm sure this stings as you've paid for everything but have you offered to buy her out? For a price she may be willing to have her name removed.

1. She has used the membership but not that often.
2. The new contract/membership would be for the same UY but at a different resort. What implications does this apply?
3. She is not interested is being bought out since she wants to keep it.

If only she would allow me to take her name off the deed which she will not.

Well, that is indeed unfortunate. As joint tenants in common you are not only connected to her thru the ownership but your heirs and hers will also be connected thru it. You’re either going to have to go to court to get this straightened out now or your heirs can deal with this mess later.

2. The new contract/membership would be for the same UY but at a different resort. What implications does this apply?
The new contract/membership has nothing to do with the old contracts/membership. Same UY or different UY has no impact on how the points can be used. The deeds would be titled differently, so they would be treated as if different people owned them. You can do one transfer (in or out) from either membership and the points from different home resorts can all be combined at 7 months to make a reservation. Sometimes MS will waive the once-per-year transfer limit when the memberships have the same owner(s) but that is usually when both memberships are titled the same but with different UYs.

Stop paying the dues and let Disney foreclose. Or offer to split the two contracts between the two of you. You get one, she gets one. You'd have to retitle both of them, but it would leave you with one of your own. Of course, she would have to pay the annual fees on the one she owns. If you do keep them like they are and you transfer points from your contract, make sure you transfer points TO your new contract, not FROM your new contract. Otherwise, she has access to the new points, too. You'd be limited to one transfer in or out a year.

Or go to court and get it settled there.

What a pain! I don't want to stop paying dues and let Disney foreclose since

1. I don't want to kill my credit.
2. I don't want to throw away all the $$$ I paid for both contracts.
3. I still want to keep these points.

I was not aware that I would be limited to one transfer in or out a year.

Since you are exes, why doesn’t she want to give this up?

Dvc was the first thing we split during the divorce process. Ok I say split but we deeded it in my name and I simply took it over. It’s my thing.

As it stands she could use every single point. She could cancel all of your reservations. She could do almost anything she wants with it.

You could, too. Except. She could then cancel your reservations.

This is not a good situation.

Actually redeeding does not have to be that expensive. You can do it on your own (Dean has some posts about it) for almost nothing, you can spend about 400 per contract going with the company Dvc tells you to go with, it for about 200 per contract using LT Transfers like I did.

But first you have to make this happen. And I have a feeling that a lawyer or two will need to get involved.

She doesn’t she want to give this up because she does not want to loose her access to use DVC. She still wants some control over something. When the relationship dissolved she got the much shorter end of the stick. I understand that but the past is the past. Her holding on to her entitlement of DVC is all she has left as far as any financial ties between us which now, 10 years later and I have a family and there really shouldn't be any further legal ties between me and my ex. It is also causing strain on my current marriage.

The new contract/membership has nothing to do with the old contracts/membership. Same UY or different UY has no impact on how the points can be used. The deeds would be titled differently, so they would be treated as if different people owned them. You can do one transfer (in or out) from either membership and the points from different home resorts can all be combined at 7 months to make a reservation. Sometimes MS will waive the once-per-year transfer limit when the memberships have the same owner(s) but that is usually when both memberships are titled the same but with different UYs.

What a mess! All I want is to take her name off the two deeds so I can purchase a resale contract with just my name on it and maintain one membership with one UY. Since she will not agree to letting me do this (even thought I still would let her us the points whenever she wanted) it looks like I'll have to have 2 different memberships or just not add another contract.

What about you splitting the contracts? She keeps 1 and you keep the other? I would not go the route of stopping paying MF's and foreclosure. They can be split up for relatively little expense. And then she'll have the MF responsibility for the contract she has and you for yours and no further entanglements with your new families.

Regarding #2. All it means is if you transfer points from your shared membership to your other membership is that you won't be able to access those transferred points online so you'll have to always call in to use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!