Multiple Memberships

What about you splitting the contracts? She keeps 1 and you keep the other? I would not go the route of stopping paying MF's and foreclosure. They can be split up for relatively little expense. And then she'll have the MF responsibility for the contract she has and you for yours and no further entanglements with your new families.

Regarding #2. All it means is if you transfer points from your shared membership to your other membership is that you won't be able to access those transferred points online so you'll have to always call in to use them.

Well the first contract (160 pts at AK) we paid for together out of a joint bank account. The second contract (100 pts at Aulani) I paid 100% for after we separated BUT I was not aware until after the fact that DVD listed her name on the deed the same as the first contract. (I know sucks for me).

It sucks that once points are transferred from one membership to another we cant see them online. That's just one more reason I don't want to have two different memberships. I seems like I need to somehow get this straitened out PRIOR to purchasing a resale contract. Trying so straiten something out with someone who just wants to point the finger at me and fight me on all this really sucks. Worse than that it REALLY sucks all the magic out of the process. :(

She doesn’t she want to give this up because she does not want to loose her access to use DVC. She still wants some control over something. When the relationship dissolved she got the much shorter end of the stick. I understand that but the past is the past. Her holding on to her entitlement of DVC is all she has left as far as any financial ties between us which now, 10 years later and I have a family and there really shouldn't be any further legal ties between me and my ex. It is also causing strain on my current marriage.

Sounds like there is some bitterness or unresolved issues if 10 years has passed and an ex is digging in her heels over a timeshare. If it was causing a strain in my current marriage, I’d consider just signing both deeds over to the ex and move on if the financial impact was acceptable. Then there’d be no further legal ties. You’d be free to buy a new contract with your new family. Or you can get any attorney, but expect to pay that way too through legal fees and division of the joint property.

She doesn’t she want to give this up because she does not want to loose her access to use DVC. She still wants some control over something. When the relationship dissolved she got the much shorter end of the stick. I understand that but the past is the past. Her holding on to her entitlement of DVC is all she has left as far as any financial ties between us which now, 10 years later and I have a family and there really shouldn't be any further legal ties between me and my ex. It is also causing strain on my current marriage.

I just said a bad word when I read this.

10 years????

Lawyertime.

Well the first contract (160 pts at AK) we paid for together out of a joint bank account. The second contract (100 pts at Aulani) I paid 100% for after we separated BUT I was not aware until after the fact that DVD listed her name on the deed the same as the first contract.

Just give her the AK. That’s what I would do. That’s what my ex would do. Did do with our contract at bay lake.

Tell her you’re giving it to her. Do a gratuitous transfer (I know it says “family” but it doesn’t seem to matter) and pay LT transfers to take your name off AK and her name off Aulani. And maybe change guides from the one that let it be deeded the same.

It will be cheaper than getting lawyers involved.

Well the first contract (160 pts at AK) we paid for together out of a joint bank account. The second contract (100 pts at Aulani) I paid 100% for after we separated BUT I was not aware until after the fact that DVD listed her name on the deed the same as the first contract. (I know sucks for me).

This makes no sense whatsoever (DVD deeding it in both of your names without you knowing it). Wouldn't both of you have had to sign a contract agreeing to purchase the new timeshare and to tell them what the title was going to be? Isn't that how real estate is purchased in FL?

AKV - joint bank account so that would seem to mean that it belongs to both of you
AUL - after separation.

I agree with other posters who said to see if she would agree to deed you one of the properties with the other property going to her.

Sounds like there is some bitterness or unresolved issues if 10 years has passed and an ex is digging in her heels over a timeshare. If it was causing a strain in my current marriage, I’d consider just signing both deeds over to the ex and move on if the financial impact was acceptable. Then there’d be no further legal ties. You’d be free to buy a new contract with your new family. Or you can get any attorney, but expect to pay that way too through legal fees and division of the joint property.

There is defiantly bitterness that she holds onto unfortunately. Signing both deeds over to her is out of the question.
1. I am not willing to just though away $30K
2. Those contracts are direst DVD deeds and I won't give up the DVC member perks.
3. She would not be able to maintain the annual dues even if I did just give it to her... which would never happen since I have paid foe 90% of it all.

I agree getting an attorney is going to cost as much as just giving her the deeds so I'd like to avoid that too. Haha!

Just give her the AK. That’s what I would do. That’s what my ex would do. Did do with our contract at bay lake.

Tell her you’re giving it to her. Do a gratuitous transfer (I know it says “family” but it doesn’t seem to matter) and pay LT transfers to take your name off AK and her name off Aulani. And maybe change guides from the one that let it be deeded the same.

It will be cheaper than getting lawyers involved.

I'd hate to just give her AK ($17K) since I paid for most of it but yes it would be cheaper than a lawyer. Honestly I don't think she would be able to take on the annual dues of the 160 pts at AK. That's one more reason for her to want to hold on to it with me, because I continue to maintain it.

If only she would allow me to take her name off the deed which she will not.
Let her know you're going to get a lawyer and get this done and that the only way to avoid that is to separate the contract otherwise. If you get a lawyer you'll likely be able to keep all of it for half the contract actually bought jointly, plus legal fees. If you offer to trade her a retail contract of the equivalent she'll have perks and points in her name and you'll have the same so she'll still have access. If the cost is too high, just sign it over to her and let her start paying it and you can buy independently. Your life will be worth the cost to do so. It's only going to get worse as is that knot in our stomach.

This makes no sense whatsoever (DVD deeding it in both of your names without you knowing it). Wouldn't both of you have had to sign a contract agreeing to purchase the new timeshare and to tell them what the title was going to be? Isn't that how real estate is purchased in FL?

AKV - joint bank account so that would seem to mean that it belongs to both of you
AUL - after separation.

I agree with other posters who said to see if she would agree to deed you one of the properties with the other property going to her.

This was 8 years ago when I purchased Aulani so I'm sure we both signed with the understanding that those points belonged to me since we separated. Thank or we just didn't know what we were doing at the time.

Yes the AKV was paid out of a joint account (I won't do that again) so technically she is entitled to half of it's value as am I. But she will not let me take her name off of it because she still want control to use it when she wants plus I'm paying the dues.

As far at the AUL goes, I paid 100% BUT since her name is on the deed she is still technically entitled to half of it's value if she really wanted to play dirty.

This was 8 years ago when I purchased Aulani so I'm sure we both signed with the understanding that those points belonged to me since we separated. Thank or we just didn't know what we were doing at the time.

AUL - after separation.

Yes the AKV was paid out of a joint account (I won't do that again) so technically she is entitled to half of it's value as am I. But she will not let me take her name off of it because she still want control to use it when she wants plus I'm paying the dues.

As far at the AUL goes, I paid 100% BUT since her name is on the deed she is still technically entitled to half of it's value if she really wanted to play dirty.
Get a lawyer and get past this. 8 years of your life dealing with this? Don't give her options other than to get this separated in some way. If it costs $15-20K it's worth it.

Signing both deeds over to her is out of the question.

I don’t think anyone said to give them both to her.

Honestly I don't think she would be able to take on the annual dues of the 160 pts at AK.

Then that’s her life.

It’s still a huge question of if I’ll be able to continue holding onto my Dvc.

That’s not my ex’s issue, no matter how angry I still am with him. (It’s only been 14 months since I answered the door to a process server, with our son standing behind me, to find out he wanted a divorce, so please forgive my anger.)

If she can’t afford, what, 1k per year in dues, how can she afford the vacations at all?

Yes the AKV was paid out of a joint account (I won't do that again) so technically she is entitled to half of it's value as am I.

Eh, I bet you could pay a lawyer enough to make that not so.

Pretend you both won a lottery today (separately) so there’s cash. If you paid her half of one and she paid half of the other, you’d both walk away with one contract, right? (I assume despite the points differential that the total is about the same each)

Isn’t that the same as you keeping one and letting her have one?

You aren’t throwing away 17k. You’ve had years of vacations there. Hopefully most of them were decent. Think of that.

And FYI with the gratuitous deed transfer you hold onto the status of the original purchase.

I’d have a problem as a newer spouse with this situation. I can see why it’s causing stress. How much would your new spouse give to end this situation?

The Aulani is a tough mistake but sometimes you need to just "pay up" and move on vs hanging onto the stuff that as you say is putting a strain on things in your life. Both those contracts will keep direct benefits so each of you can keep one and both keep benefits.

Back to the part of multiple memberships. Yes, it's easier with one but two really isn't that big of a deal if you're even semi organized.

I don’t think anyone said to give them both to her.

Then that’s her life.

It’s still a huge question of if I’ll be able to continue holding onto my Dvc.

That’s not my ex’s issue, no matter how angry I still am with him. (It’s only been 14 months since I answered the door to a process server, with our son standing behind me, to find out he wanted a divorce, so please forgive my anger.)

If she can’t afford, what, 1k per year in dues, how can she afford the vacations at all?

Eh, I bet you could pay a lawyer enough to make that not so.

Pretend you both won a lottery today (separately) so there’s cash. If you paid her half of one and she paid half of the other, you’d both walk away with one contract, right? (I assume despite the points differential that the total is about the same each)

Isn’t that the same as you keeping one and letting her have one?

You aren’t throwing away 17k. You’ve had years of vacations there. Hopefully most of them were decent. Think of that.

And FYI with the gratuitous deed transfer you hold onto the status of the original purchase.

I’d have a problem as a newer spouse with this situation. I can see why it’s causing stress. How much would your new spouse give to end this situation?

I think she saves what she can but her income is low so taking on the dues would be difficult.
I really don't want to pay a lawyer enough to make that not so as that's also just throwing away money.
AK is a 160 pt contract and AUL is a 100 pt contract to the difference is about $5K.
I am not familiar with the gratuitous deed transfer process.

P.S. I like how you separated my quotes. I tried to do it in this reply but I don't seem to be formatting it correctly. How do you do it? Haha!

I think she saves what she can but her income is low so taking on the dues would be difficult.
I really don't want to pay a lawyer enough to make that not so as that's also just throwing away money.
AK is a 160 pt contract and AUL is a 100 pt contract to the difference is about $5K.
I am not familiar with the gratuitous deed transfer process.

P.S. I like how you separated my quotes. I tried to do it in this reply but I don't seem to be formatting it correctly. How do you do it? Haha!
It's not throwing away money if you're able to complete the separation and get past the periodic heartburn you current are experiencing. I can't even fathom letting this go on for 8 years. It sounds like she couldn't afford to fight it anyway so the legal charges likely would be nominal since it's unlikely to go to court. My suggestion is to sit down with a lawyer and get your options then make a decision. Depending on the state, I suspect you'll end up with the points you bought even if her name was on the checking account and a split of the other worst case scenario. I suspect once she sees she has little alternatives, she'll be willing to come to an agreement.

At the very least, just talk to a lawyer about your options. Maybe your ex won't negotiate nicely with you, but having a lawyer negotiate for you might be a better answer.

In most states, if one party in a joint real estate contract wants to sell, then they can force it. That might be the way as well.

From what I've read above, this is indeed a sticky situation. Good luck.

Highlight (like you're going to copy) the sentence you want to separate, and a little "quote/reply" thing will pop up. Hit that with cursor (on keyboard) or finger (on mobile). Repeat! :)

In case it's not coming through, I feel really bad for you. Even though it sounds like you were the relationship-ender, and right now I officially don't much care for those people LOL, it's a serious bummer of a situation you're in. And the idea of letting this go on for so long, on both sides of it, gives me anxiety. I really want you to be able to end this soon.

But really, it's not your responsibility to GIVE her vacations year after year. That's what you're doing. You're paying the dues, you paid for the contracts, and she's being allowed to take trips. Right?

If she wants the contract and wants to keep it, she'll have to increase her income or decrease her expenditures. I highly recommend the website/app "you need a budget" for keeping track of the financial side of life. Found it during the divorce, and it saved my (soy)bacon.

Anyway, you've been giving her these vacations, so it's not like it would be THAT different to let some money go AND create peace in your heart and that of your spouse.

I just went to one of the resale sites. It does look like Aulani and AK are selling for around the same price per point, which I actually didn't expect. But still... What's another way out of this?

While not official, they will usually transfer points between separate master contracts of a single owner including banked/borrowed but it's case by case. What you may want to do is change your current ownership in some way so you can then combine with the new purchase. It's be good to separate things from the ex anyway.
I have 4 memberships - Can’t transfer banked or borrowed points between memberships - only current

Highlight (like you're going to copy) the sentence you want to separate, and a little "quote/reply" thing will pop up. Hit that with cursor (on keyboard) or finger (on mobile). Repeat! :)

Eureka I think I got it! Thank you!

In case it's not coming through, I feel really bad for you. Even though it sounds like you were the relationship-ender, and right now I officially don't much care for those people LOL, it's a serious bummer of a situation you're in. And the idea of letting this go on for so long, on both sides of it, gives me anxiety. I really want you to be able to end this soon.

The relationship ended a long time ago I just brought this up to her recently because I want to buy and resell contract and just found out that if the name is not identical then I will have to have a separate membership which I do not want. Obviously I don’t want to put her on a third contract when I’m not with her anymore. Not to mention my wife would kill me. Haha!

But really, it's not your responsibility to GIVE her vacations year after year. That's what you're doing. You're paying the dues, you paid for the contracts, and she's being allowed to take trips. Right?

I guess it really depends upon how you look at it. I use the membership a lot more than she does. (Let’s say 80% me and 20% her) Simply because she doesn’t have the funds to go on vacations that often which I feel bad and somewhat responsible for since we broke up 10 years ago. So the fact that I pay all of the membership dues and she does not I justify in my head because I use the membership a lot more than she does.

Anyway, you've been giving her these vacations, so it's not like it would be THAT different to let some money go AND create peace in your heart and that of your spouse.

Have I really been GIVING her the vacations? Not really. She did pay for half of the animal kingdom contract through us having a joint account and she would definitely argue that I am not giving her anything based the short end of the stick that she got. When we went our own separate ways she basically surrendered everything so I think this is the last bit of something left that she does not want to surrender because then she would be left with nothing out of the relationship. She also has the most amount of pride I have ever seen in someone so I think there is a matter of principle here as well. I believe her exact words were “they will make an ice-skating ring out of hell before I take my name off the deed“ LOL!

I just went to one of the resale sites. It does look like Aulani and AK are selling for around the same price per point, which I actually didn't expect.

You said that they are selling around the same price per point as what? As what they originally sold for?

I love these does boards because of people like you and the great advice so many people have! This specific threat it is starting to turn into a counseling session which is fine because at this point I obviously need it LOL!

I have 4 memberships - Can’t transfer banked or borrowed points between memberships - only current

Four different memberships? Holy moly! Is that on purpose? How do you manage for different memberships and what is the scenario between why you have to split up for separate memberships unless of course they are all different use years?

Four different memberships? Holy moly! Is that on purpose? How do you manage for different memberships and what is the scenario between why you have to split up for separate memberships unless of course they are all different use years?
Yup - I use April for May trips, June for the fall, Oct for December and my Dec UY is HH - I mainly just use it for HH for my daughter..

Yup - I use April for May trips, June for the fall, Oct for December and my Dec UY is HH - I mainly just use it for HH for my daughter..

So you don’t transfer points from one membership to another? You don’t find it difficult maintaining all of the separate memberships? Are you able to see all four memberships under the same computer login?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!