Multiple Memberships

I seems like I need to somehow get this straitened out PRIOR to purchasing a resale contract. Trying so straiten something out with someone who just wants to point the finger at me and fight me on all this really sucks. Worse than that it REALLY sucks all the magic out of the process. :(

10 Years is a long time to have this hanging over you, your ex and especially your new family :( I totally agree, imo it would be foolhardy to go ahead with purchasing a new contract without settling this issue once and for all.
Your ex seems to have a lot of pain and much anger about your breakup; I assume you're in the USA, do you have a mediation service in your state?
I would think you could both gain a lot from sitting down with an impartial person and (hopefully) finding some closure to enable a move forward.

This was 8 years ago when I purchased Aulani so I'm sure we both signed with the understanding that those points belonged to me since we separated. Thank or we just didn't know what we were doing at the time.
Yes the AKV was paid out of a joint account (I won't do that again) so technically she is entitled to half of it's value as am I. But she will not let me take her name off of it because she still want control to use it when she wants plus I'm paying the dues.

As far at the AUL goes, I paid 100% BUT since her name is on the deed she is still technically entitled to half of it's value if she really wanted to play dirty.
If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions just ignore me.
When you bought the Aulani Direct contract, were you actually at Disney, or did you do everything via phone and email?
Did you have a loan or mortgage attached to the contract?
If so was your ex's name on that and was she physically with you at the time to sign the document?

I have 4 memberships - Can’t transfer banked or borrowed points between memberships - only current
I understand the rules as written and they aren't written to address this situation directly, many have done so and I personally have done so several times. It's done case by case and only when it truly makes sense, basically when you need the points in one account to move forward like to reserve a cruise or make a single night reservation and you don't have the points to make it from a given account. I also have that in writing from DVC.

I understand the rules as written and they aren't written to address this situation directly, many have done so and I personally have done so several times. It's done case by case and only when it truly makes sense, basically when you need the points in one account to move forward like to reserve a cruise or make a single night reservation and you don't have the points to make it from a given account. I also have that in writing from DVC.
I’ve made multiple transfer between my UYs - and these have always been unlimited - but I’ve never been able to transfer banked/borrowed

I’ve made multiple transfer between my UYs - and these have always been unlimited - but I’ve never been able to transfer banked/borrowed
I have and I have it in writing but it's for specific situations.

So you don’t transfer points from one membership to another? You don’t find it difficult maintaining all of the separate memberships? Are you able to see all four memberships under the same computer login?
Sometimes I transfer - my June reservation is made up of mainly my June UY SS contract but there’s also bits and pieces of April and Oct (and OTU points from multiple UYs as well) - I’ve never been held to the one in/out limit between my UYs but I’ve never been able to TRANSFER banked/borrowed - I just make multiple reservations and link them. It’s not a problem and yes-they all show up under my same login - although I had to get Disney IT to assist with the setup.

Sometimes I transfer - my June reservation is made up of mainly my June UY SS contract but there’s also bits and pieces of April and Oct (and OTU points from multiple UYs as well) - I’ve never been held to the one in/out limit between my UYs but I’ve never been able to TRANSFER banked/borrowed - I just make multiple reservations and link them. It’s not a problem and yes-they all show up under my same login - although I had to get Disney IT to assist with the setup.
Not holding you to the single transfer is the same flexibility they use in transferring banked/borrowed points.

Do you have a small claims court/process in your state? If so, consider sending her a bill for 1/2 of the annual dues for each contract. If she doesn't pay (after a reasonable amount of time), file a small claims action. It's usually not that costly, and perhaps the prospect of having to pay 1/2 of the dues every year will bring her around. She may refuse to pay, but you will have a judgement and if you know where she banks, the court can give you the process to collect. The idea is to force her to be reasonable about the contracts. I'd try this before buying another contract.

Good luck.

10 Years is a long time to have this hanging over you, your ex and especially your new family :( I totally agree, imo it would be foolhardy to go ahead with purchasing a new contract without settling this issue once and for all.

Even though it has been 10 years that hasn’t been hanging over me per se because it hasn’t been until this week I have asked her to take her name off of it because I’m considering purchasing a resell contract.

Your ex seems to have a lot of pain and much anger about your breakup; I assume you're in the USA, do you have a mediation service in your state? I would think you could both gain a lot from sitting down with an impartial person and (hopefully) finding some closure to enable a move forward.

I agree that she definitely still has a lot of pain and anger about the break up from quite some time ago. We live on two different sides of the country now and she would not be interested in sitting down for any mediation service regardless.

When you bought the Aulani Direct contract, were you actually at Disney, or did you do everything via phone and email?
Did you have a loan or mortgage attached to the contract?
If so was your ex's name on that and was she physically with you at the time to sign the document?

When I bought AUL I was on a Disney cruise and we both must’ve signed at that time even though I paid for 100% of it. It was quite a while ago so I don’t remember all of the details. The loans have been paid off along time ago and her name is on both contracts.

Do you have a small claims court/process in your state? If so, consider sending her a bill for 1/2 of the annual dues for each contract. If she doesn't pay (after a reasonable amount of time), file a small claims action. It's usually not that costly, and perhaps the prospect of having to pay 1/2 of the dues every year will bring her around. She may refuse to pay, but you will have a judgement and if you know where she banks, the court can give you the process to collect. The idea is to force her to be reasonable about the contracts. I'd try this before buying another contract.

Good luck.

I don’t think I would go this far because as she always reminds me she got the shorter end of the stick. This would definitely be a jerk move on my part if I went this far. She already has A lot of pain and anger towards me and this would just intensify it. I’m trying to be the nice and sensible guy here (unlike 10 years ago when the relationship dissolved).

Good luck.

Not sure that would work in that OP has already indicated that he uses 80% of the points.

OP: this sounds like a complicated mess that you really don't want to fix (by not retaining an attorney, offering 1 of the contracts to her, buying her out of both contracts, etc). We seem to be getting more details as the pages go on (she was left with nothing after the break-up of your relationship, etc.). You paying for 100% of AUL really doesn't make a difference when both of you are on the deed; that just means that you gave her 50% ownership.

So just deal with a different membership number.

I don’t think I would go this far because as she always reminds me she got the shorter end of the stick. This would definitely be a jerk move on my part if I went this far. She already has A lot of pain and anger towards me and this would just intensify it. I’m trying to be the nice and sensible guy here (unlike 10 years ago when the relationship dissolved).
So 10 years later she's hitting you with drama and guilt, all the more reason to be done with this.

They are getting far, far more restrictive on point usage than I've ever seen them. Many people are being told they can't reallocate banked points to a reservation that they had made using only current points - and it's been points from the same resort as the reservation was made with so no home priority issues. Reservations that use both home priority that have been added to with 7 month window are not being linked etc. I too have once had them transfer banked points from one membership to another. I 100% believe they would not do that now.

You've mentioned her getting the short end of the stick several times. It sounds a lot like she is perhaps entitled to one of the contracts but whatever you decide either you need to settle the issue of the existing membership in one way or another or learn to work with 2 memberships because you don't want to add a new contract to the existing membership.

When using 2 memberships you can use them stand alone - ie take 1 trip on 1 membership perhaps using banking/borrowing and then the next trip use the other membership and use banking/borrowing for the required number of points. Or they can be used together. To use them together you can transfer points and book a single reservation (based on the home resorts) or you can book nights in each membership and have the reservations linked together for a continuing stay. DVC won't guarantee you won't have to change rooms but I've done this numerous times and have never had to move. Both memberships will show up under the same DVC login.

You can solve this cheaply. Go to your local magistrate (small claims court) and tell the clerk that you need to file to compel the other party in a commonly held deed to sell. The clerk should have all the paperwork you need. You will likely need copies of the deeds at the time of filing. No lawyer needed in small claims court. The court will serve notice on her to appear for a hearing. You'll go to the hearing, present the deeds showing both names are on the deeds, and paperwork showing where the money came from to purchase, and where the money came from that paid the maintenance fees. The judge will hear her side, and likely will ask you to agree to pay her 1/2 of the current value of the AK deed less her unpaid 1/2 of the maintenance fees. If you aren't prepared to pay that, he will order one or both contracts sold, and will leave the case open pending her receiving a check.

The reason you can go into small claims court is because the value of her half of the AK deed less the unpaid 1/2 of maintenance fees for 10 years is less than the maximum limit on small claims in most jurisdictions (in mine, it's $12k).

She doesn’t she want to give this up because she does not want to loose her access to use DVC. She still wants some control over something. When the relationship dissolved she got the much shorter end of the stick. I understand that but the past is the past. Her holding on to her entitlement of DVC is all she has left as far as any financial ties between us which now, 10 years later and I have a family and there really shouldn't be any further legal ties between me and my ex. It is also causing strain on my current marriage.

The relationship ended a long time ago I just brought this up to her recently because I want to buy and resell contract and just found out that if the name is not identical then I will have to have a separate membership which I do not want. Obviously I don’t want to put her on a third contract when I’m not with her anymore. Not to mention my wife would kill me. Haha!

I guess it really depends upon how you look at it. I use the membership a lot more than she does. (Let’s say 80% me and 20% her) Simply because she doesn’t have the funds to go on vacations that often which I feel bad and somewhat responsible for since we broke up 10 years ago. So the fact that I pay all of the membership dues and she does not I justify in my head because I use the membership a lot more than she does.

Have I really been GIVING her the vacations? Not really. She did pay for half of the animal kingdom contract through us having a joint account and she would definitely argue that I am not giving her anything based the short end of the stick that she got. When we went our own separate ways she basically surrendered everything so I think this is the last bit of something left that she does not want to surrender because then she would be left with nothing out of the relationship. She also has the most amount of pride I have ever seen in someone so I think there is a matter of principle here as well. I believe her exact words were “they will make an ice-skating ring out of hell before I take my name off the deed“ LOL!

You said that they are selling around the same price per point as what? As what they originally sold for?

I love these does boards because of people like you and the great advice so many people have! This specific threat it is starting to turn into a counseling session which is fine because at this point I obviously need it LOL!

OP, I apologize in advance if this sounds too harsh, and if I am reading too much into your personal life. Really, I want you to be able to enjoy your DVC and your new family, and I think the best way for you to do that will be to find a way to cut this tie with your ex completely... I don’t know your situation, but it sounds awful, and will probably only get worse until you take steps to address it. You said the past is in the past, but it’s haunting you now, and that’s partly because you’re letting it. It sounds like you feel a lot of guilt and obligation to your ex. My gut reaction is that you are both adults and should not be responsible for each others’ choices/actions anymore (like worrying about how she will pay for the annual dues). Maybe what you need to do now is make amends for her getting the short end of the stick back then. Like I said though, I don’t know your specific situation.

Do you still have a joint bank account now? How did you split that money up?
Do you have any children with your ex?
You said your ex has used the points about 20% of the time. When was the last time she did? Does she really still want to use DVC for vacations, or is this more for spite?
What did she and you agree to when you split up - how did you two decide to handle your DVC points?

Options:
  1. Consult a lawyer or mediator to learn about your specific options. Will any offer a free consultation?
  2. Keep your contracts as is and add a 3rd under a new membership number - and deal with that hassle, as well as the continuing stress of your ex and the strain on your marriage and family, as well as the future complications for your heirs.
  3. Split the contracts so your ex has one in her name only and you have one in your name only. You could even offer to continue giving her money for the annual dues if you want.
  4. Sell both contracts and split the proceeds with your ex. Use your part to buy a larger contract in your own name.
  5. Pay her a sum for her portion of the contracts so she takes her name off the deeds and you keep both.

No matter what, I think you will have to pay something, and probably more than you want. But even if you keep everything as is, that is still costing you something, so you have to decide what that is worth.

They are getting far, far more restrictive on point usage than I've ever seen them. Many people are being told they can't reallocate banked points to a reservation that they had made using only current points - and it's been points from the same resort as the reservation was made with so no home priority issues. Reservations that use both home priority that have been added to with 7 month window are not being linked etc. I too have once had them transfer banked points from one membership to another. I 100% believe they would not do that now.
The reallocation thing has come and gone, it used to be a cancelation and rebooking. Same for the splitting of a lockoff vs cancel & rebook. I don't have any very recent examples but unless they get hardline on the hardship situations I doubt the issue in question will change. When I see them say no related to major illness or similar and stick to the rules, I doubt this will be any different.

The reallocation thing has come and gone, it used to be a cancelation and rebooking. Same for the splitting of a lockoff vs cancel & rebook. I don't have any very recent examples but unless they get hardline on the hardship situations I doubt the issue in question will change. When I see them say no related to major illness or similar and stick to the rules, I doubt this will be any different.

More than once in the past 6 months or so I've shared how to reallocate online as there are people calling in to do so and being told it cannot be done without a cancel and rebook. The modify feature does allow it though. I have a CM that I have used regularly for 3 years or so and where he used to reallocate easily without issue it's not the same anymore - their instructions have changed along with the new VP in charge. I think it's searching more for a needle in a haystack to get certain exceptions albeit the hardship still seems to be one that is done without any issues. FWIW I think a member using their own memberships is is less outside the rules as there are many reasons why some have multiple memberships - including that DVC didn't have points in their existing UY so they sold the a new one - but I don't think DVC is looking at it that way. I'm just saying that from conversations with a CM that I have a fair amount of experience with I'd no longer be certain of receiving any so called exceptions to the transfer rules.

You are getting a lot of good advice here. As I am sure you are aware being a current owner, there are many more restrictions in place for the resale market today if you don't have a direct or grandfathered contract on your membership. I don't think its as easy as just having to manage two separate memberships. I think you would have less rights on the new contract than what you are used to. Someone else who has this situation may be able to weigh in. Something has to give. Wish you luck as you figure this out.

You are getting a lot of good advice here. As I am sure you are aware being a current owner, there are many more restrictions in place for the resale market today if you don't have a direct or grandfathered contract on your membership. I don't think its as easy as just having to manage two separate memberships. I think you would have less rights on the new contract than what you are used to. Someone else who has this situation may be able to weigh in. Something has to give. Wish you luck as you figure this out.

The existing membership leaves them as being a qualified member - eligible for perks such as discounted AP's, dining and retail discounts and attending member events. It doesn't matter if their second membership is non-qualifying. The points themselves keep restrictions for trading so new resale points would be restricted that way while the existing could be used to trade into Disney hotels, Riviera etc. So yes, there's a difference but it isn't much.

More than once in the past 6 months or so I've shared how to reallocate online as there are people calling in to do so and being told it cannot be done without a cancel and rebook. The modify feature does allow it though. I have a CM that I have used regularly for 3 years or so and where he used to reallocate easily without issue it's not the same anymore - their instructions have changed along with the new VP in charge. I think it's searching more for a needle in a haystack to get certain exceptions albeit the hardship still seems to be one that is done without any issues. FWIW I think a member using their own memberships is is less outside the rules as there are many reasons why some have multiple memberships - including that DVC didn't have points in their existing UY so they sold the a new one - but I don't think DVC is looking at it that way. I'm just saying that from conversations with a CM that I have a fair amount of experience with I'd no longer be certain of receiving any so called exceptions to the transfer rules.
I don't think one can be certain even of the rules that are written much less the unwritten ones. We've all seen a lot of changes over the years in terms of transfer and banking rules. For example the original OKW rules (then DVC) only allowed banking of 50% of the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!