Must Watch Movies

dolewhipandpixiedust

Mouseketeer
What movies are best for someone who hasn’t really ever been into Disney, but is getting ready to go to Disney World? My fiancé and I are honeymooning at WDW and he hasn’t really been into the movies. I’m trying to get a list together to watch before we go

What kinds of movies is he into? Is he open to watching a lot of cartoons and princess movies? If he likes action/adventure type stuff better, you might use them to ease him into it.

I'll list some that have tie-in's at the parks but also some that are just quintessential Disney:

Disney Animated Classics
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
The Jungle Book
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Mulan
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Moana

Pixar
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Up
Inside Out
Coco

Live Action
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mary Poppins - if you watch only one movie on this list - This is it!
TRON
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Avatar - Not Disney but it's good backstory for Pandora

There are countless others, but this is what I'd call "the basics." It's a lot, so have fun binge watching some Disney goodness!

What kinds of movies is he into? Is he open to watching a lot of cartoons and princess movies? If he likes action/adventure type stuff better, you might use them to ease him into it.

I'll list some that have tie-in's at the parks but also some that are just quintessential Disney:

Disney Animated Classics
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
The Jungle Book
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Mulan
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Moana

Pixar
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Up
Inside Out
Coco

Live Action
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mary Poppins - if you watch only one movie on this list - This is it!
TRON
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Avatar - Not Disney but it's good backstory for Pandora

There are countless others, but this is what I'd call "the basics." It's a lot, so have fun binge watching some Disney goodness!
His favorite Disney movie is Toy Story but he doesn’t branch out as much. Luckily I own all these movies lol. I think I may start with PotC because Johnny Depp is amazing!

Thanks!

His favorite Disney movie is Toy Story but he doesn’t branch out as much. Luckily I own all these movies lol. I think I may start with PotC because Johnny Depp is amazing!

Thanks!

Toy Story, eh? So, it sounds like the Pixar oeuvre is pretty safe then, but make sure to toss in a few of the classics. If you can dig them up, maybe something from TV with Walt Disney in it doing the introductions or back stories for Disneyland. It is important to get to know Uncle Walt. If you do Marry Poppins, pair it with Saving Mr. Banks.

If Toy Story is his favorite, hopefully you are going after Toy Story Land opens up. He'll love it!

Toy Story, eh? So, it sounds like the Pixar oeuvre is pretty safe then, but make sure to toss in a few of the classics. If you can dig them up, maybe something from TV with Walt Disney in it doing the introductions or back stories for Disneyland. It is important to get to know Uncle Walt. If you do Marry Poppins, pair it with Saving Mr. Banks.

If Toy Story is his favorite, hopefully you are going after Toy Story Land opens up. He'll love it!
We are! We’re exactly 365 days away and he’s pretty interested in seeing TSL. Confession: I’ve never actually seen Mary Poppins even though I’ve seen every other Disney movie (whoops)

We are! We’re exactly 365 days away and he’s pretty interested in seeing TSL. Confession: I’ve never actually seen Mary Poppins even though I’ve seen every other Disney movie (whoops)

Well, sounds like it's time to watch Mary Poppins! There's a sequel coming out this year, you know? Plus, Saving Mr. Banks is an excellent movie about the creator of Mary Poppins and her battle with Walt Disney regarding the making of the film. They make an excellent back-to-back feature.

Saving Mr. Banks also features the Sherman Brothers, (well actors portraying them as Tom Hanks does Walt). Bob and Richard Sherman's musical fingerprints are all over the Disney Parks. You'll hear many of their compositions as background music, and also of course the songs It's a Small World, and There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

Well, sounds like it's time to watch Mary Poppins! There's a sequel coming out this year, you know? Plus, Saving Mr. Banks is an excellent movie about the creator of Mary Poppins and her battle with Walt Disney regarding the making of the film. They make an excellent back-to-back feature.

Saving Mr. Banks also features the Sherman Brothers, (well actors portraying them as Tom Hanks does Walt). Bob and Richard Sherman's musical fingerprints are all over the Disney Parks. You'll hear many of their compositions as background music, and also of course the songs It's a Small World, and There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.
I knew about the sequel and Saving Mr. Banks. I’ve wanted to watch but wedding planning is no joke haha I’m putting them on the list!

I don't think he needs to watch any of the movies.

Well, he doesn't need to in order to enjoy the parks. Once he visits, if he loves it, chances are he'll want to watch more of them. I know I started watching a lot more Disney films once the Disney bug bit me. It never hurts to see some of these movies though. Most of them are pretty great indeed!

The Lion King. It's my favorite Disney movie of all time. Really excited for the live action remake next year.
That one is my favorite too!! He’s actually already seen that one multiple times including last night lol I’m more worried about the live action because I just don’t want them to ruin it!

If he's into more action type stories, you could try Bolt, Hercules and Lilo and Stitch.

If he really likes Toy Story, there is a Toy Story section at the All-Star Movies Resorts. It's in the preferred section. They have giant Woody, Buzz and Bo Peep figures.

Neither of these is a "must watch" by any means, but there are a couple movies named for WDW places/attractions that I think are a lot of fun and pretty underrated: Haunted Mansion and Tomorrowland. Our DVC agent turned us on to the HM movie (with Eddie Murphy) and it has a bunch of nods to the ride and some good old corny humor. I also think Pirates 5 was a really good "reboot" for that series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!