My 20th Trip to the "People Trap Set by a Mouse"!!! - UPDATE 12/8

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm a teacher too and we ran into one of my students and her family at the MK on our spring break trip! It truly is a "small world"!

LOL at "he complains about walking in target"! I have the same kid. Our next trip will probably be when the boys are 4 and 6 and I fully intend on renting a double stroller!

Oh I love Panama City Beach. I'll be heading to Destin, Fl in 2 1/2 weeks for our summer beach trip.

Congrats on the Pixie Dust. I just love being able to spread out on vacation. Even though we aren't in the room all that much it's still nice.

So glad that Jackson made the height requirement. A whole new world just opened up for him.

I hope you have fun on your trip to Destin. I'm originally from PCB and it's so nice to come back down and visit. My dad is actually a firefighter in South Walton not to far from Destin.

A whole world definitely opened for Jackson but he won't take advantage of all of it, which was totally my fault...more on that to come.

Um, I didn't know there was a ride there. Like had no idea there was anything in that area. Honestly I didn't even see that area of the park. I'm kinda embarrassed about this. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I had heard about Turtle Talk with crush but the rest of it, nada. Oh well

That stinks that you didn't know about the ride. You didn't miss much. It's a cutesy little ride but then it dumps out into the aquarium. It sounds like it would've been a good place for you guys to duck out of the rain on your EP day. It's just to the right of The Land where Soarin' is so you weren't that far away.

So cool that you met up with a student of yours on your trip. My dad used to run into people he knew all the time LOL.

No judgement from me about the stroller, it is a lot of walking for the little ones and you have to do what you have to do. We had my nephew in a stroller when he was 5 and then 7, then my niece when she was about 8 or 9. She did walk some and then we used the stroller to carry our bags.

Sounds like you had a great first day.

I haven't stayed in OKW but we stayed in a 2 BR Villa at Saratoga Springs in 2011 and it was a great room.

Have fun in Florida!

There always seems to be those people that know EVERYONE and run into people all over the place. It never happens to me so it was pretty cool.

The stroller was so nice to have. I very quickly got over the fact that Brody was too big for it.

OKW was really nice. I don't think I'd stay there again, at least not until after the update the rooms. I did like it a lot, I just like to try out different resorts when I can.

Your whole family takes great photos! I am loving seeing some of the different photopass pics. Looks like an awesome start to your holiday.

Thanks! The Memory Maker was so worth the cost. I don't foresee doing a vacation without one again.

Just found your report and got caught up!

:welcome: Glad to have you following along!

So literally everyone on my dad's side of the family, me included automatically make "crazy eyes" in pictures. We widen our eyes like we've never taken a picture before. I know we do it so I try not to, but my dad and brother don't take a lot of pictures so they always do it

That's too funny! At least it's not just my son. Lol! I don't really know why he does it. Sometimes I am able to catch it and snap him out of it but not always.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm a teacher too and we ran into one of my students and her family at the MK on our spring break trip! It truly is a "small world"!

That's so cool! It really was awesome to see her. I knew other people there too but never ran into them. I suppose when you teach and have relationships with tons of students, odds are you'll run into someone you know at some point. After 11 years of teaching and having about 150-200 students a year, it really adds up.

LOL at "he complains about walking in target"! I have the same kid. Our next trip will probably be when the boys are 4 and 6 and I fully intend on renting a double stroller!

I don't blame you a bit! I really think it's all about knowing your kids and how you want your vacation to go. Both boys could have walked but it would've been detrimental to the rest of us and I wasn't about to have that.

Side note...

So I've had the time today to get caught up on all the threads I'm following and comment back to all of you on here but I'm still on vacation in FL and don't think I'll have time to do another full update while I'm here. I'm hoping to update by Monday at the latest.

I've got a fun day at AK coming up!

Entry 5 - Time for a Special Expedition

I'm so sorry that it's been a while since an update. I had hoped to get an entry done while on vacation in FL but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm glad to be back and to pick up where we left off.

Last time I ended, we had wrapped up our first evening in EPCOT and finally got checked into our room at OKW. We got a good night's rest and were ready for an 8 am RD at AK the next morning. Most people were headed straight to Pandora but we had a FP for there later in the day so I wanted to take advantage of the low lines on other rides. We of course had to stop for a few Photopass pictures on the way to our first stop.

AK1.jpg

On the way to our Expedition we ran into some old friends. It was good to see them! ;) Clearly we were shocked to see them running around the park.

AK2 2.jpg

We finally made it to our destination!

IMG_1252.jpg

Last trip Brody was just a shy too short to ride and was bummed about it. This time he was ready to go. He and Jackson had been watching YouTube videos of the ride in preparation. Jackson became obsessed with the Yeti even though he knew he couldn't ride the ride. Everyone but Jackson and myself went to ride it the first time and Jackson and I went on a mission to find him a Yeti toy. We found one!

IMG_5152.jpg

It was ANOTHER stuffed animal. Jackson has about a million but I will say, he gives them all attention and rotates who he sleeps with. It's so cute.

Brody was excited and nervous about the ride, which I feel like you can see in these pics.

IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1255.jpg
AK5.jpg

He got off of the ride and yelled - "I am NEVER doing that again!" I was instantly worried that we had messed up by having him ride it but he just needed a minute to unscramble his mind. He'll ride it again and he loves it, so no worries. Clearly, Dawson enjoyed Snapchatting while on the ride as well!

My mom agreed to stay off with the boys and I got to ride with others due to the rider swap pass. Gotta love those things!

IMG_1257.jpg
I was sad that Brody didn't want to ride it again but happy to be on my favorite Disney coaster!

IMG_1256.jpg

:lovestruc:cloud9::lovestruc:cloud9:

The boys were enjoying themselves during the wait.

IMG_1259.jpg

You can't see it in the picture but Brody had also purchased a Yeti toy. It is a Yeti and a Mickey on a train car. It was cute but hasn't received the same love that Jackson's plush Yeti has received. I'm pretty sure it's in the bottom of a toy bucket now and hasn't been touched since we returned. I knew this would be the case when he bought but it was his money.

As much as I would love to continue on, my husband has been patiently waiting for me to finish so we can watch Game of Thrones so I've got to go now. I'll have another update in the next day or two.

UP NEXT - We make a pretty big mistake!! :eek::scared1:

Love Everest! My 4yo was tall enough to ride it and at the end of the ride he said he liked it and also that he never wanted to ride it again :laughing:

Don't you hate buying those toys that the kids just have to have only for them to end up in the bottom of a toy bin days later? So annoying.

Love Everest! My 4yo was tall enough to ride it and at the end of the ride he said he liked it and also that he never wanted to ride it again :laughing:

Don't you hate buying those toys that the kids just have to have only for them to end up in the bottom of a toy bin days later? So annoying.

Sounds like my little man. I'm really happy that he ended up wanting to do it again. I was bummed to miss it with him for the first time.

We have too many toys that end up at the bottom of the toy bin! We just spent a couple hours doing a toy purge yesterday. It was so nice!

What's funny is that as I'm typing this, he is actually playing with it in the hallway. He was inspired to play with it again after yesterday. :)

Great update!

Thanks! More to come!

Entry 6 - Oops...shouldn't have done that!

After our expedition up and down the mountain we decided to head over to Dinoland. I feel like Dinoland gets a bad wrap but I really do enjoy it. I like the carnival feeling and think it's just cute, especially for kids. On the way over, we stopped by another photo pass photographer and got a few cute pics in front of Everest.

AK 3.jpg
The snow was welcome in the heat! Lol!

IMG_5254.jpg
What's funny is that the boys decided to match themselves this day. So cute! Brody's shorts had sharks on them but Jackson was all dinos! This kid LOVES dinosaurs!

AK 4.jpg
Hanging out with another little friend! Brody was a bit confused as to why he was told to look at Jackson's head.

After our little photo shoot, we headed back to Dinoland. We took a bathroom break and then quickly headed over to ride the ride that my little dino-lover was super excited about - Dinosaur! So, if you've been on this ride, you know it is a little scary. I'm not going to lie, even I used to close my eyes when the dinosaur at the end came out. The ride can be very scary for little ones. Brody rode it when he was 5 and kept his eyes closed the whole time but came off the ride in one piece and fine. He didn't want to ride it again at that time but he was all game for it this time. We had watched the ride multiple times on YouTube so that Brody would be reminded of it and Jackson would know what to expect. If you remember from the previous day, Jackson successfully hit the 40" mark which meant that Dinosaur was a go for him.

We got into line and everyone was excited. We saw the dino fossils and Jackson got even more excited. We watched the video and again, Jackson got even more excited. Then we went into the line after the video and the excitement began to fade a little. I wasn't too worried though. It's loud in that room and there's a lot for a little one to take in. As we approached the ride vehicle, Jackson looked at me and said he didn't want to ride it anymore. He wasn't in hysterics or anything so I simply told him he'd be fine. I'd sit next to him and if he got scared he could close his eyes. This is where I made my mistake, I should have taken him out of the chicken exit but hindsight is 20/20. We boarded the ride and Jackson was very quiet but it was obvious that he was scared. Here's his pitiful picture from the ride. I can't believe his eyes were open! I kept telling him to just keep them closed.

IMG_5252.jpg
On a separate note, I think the kid behind me fell asleep. Lol!

Once the ride was over, he was shaking and so scared. On the plus side, he didn't wet himself (like my little brother did when he was little) because we were smart and took a bathroom break first. I hope my brother doesn't mind that I shared that, he won't be reading this but my mom will. He was very young, so it's understandable. But anyway, we got off the ride and Jackson was adamant that he would not be doing that again. In an effort to divert his attention from fear, I said, "HEY LET'S BUY A DINOSAUR TOY!" Here's the crazy thing, as afraid of the dinosaur that he was, he wanted to buy a stuffed one that was huge. It was too big to carry all day so I told him we'd come back to the gift shop later in the day to get it if he was good. So ultimately, I think we left with not toys at that point and still diverted his attention. SCORE!

After our mistake, we headed over to the other Dinoland rides. We first rode Triceratop Spin, which is just a different Dumbo, but the boys enjoyed riding with their dad.

IMG_5136.jpg

Brody then wanted to ride Primeval Whirl. Jackson wasn't tall enough and still needed a break from a fast ride so he rode Triceratop Spin again with Lucas and we went to ride PW. I love this ride. I don't know why. It's so simple and the noises are obnoxious but it's a fun little ride. Brody also loved it. We will go back to ride it again at the end of the day!

IMG_5138.jpg
Brody with Grandma and Grandpa in line.

There were 5 of us total going on the ride so we were split up. John and Dawson rode together, while my mom, Brody and I rode together. Unfortunately, I have no picture of John and Dawson riding, I tried but it just wasn't possible.

IMG_5141.jpg
Once we were done with the ride, we had about 30 minutes before our Tusker House ADR so we decided to go ahead and work our way there.

This seems like a good place to break because I have way too many TH pictures to go through! I'll update again soon!

UP NEXT - Jackson gets kissed by a duck and Brody gets close with a dog

My 44 incher still hasn't been on Dinosaur, but I think we will try this next trip. She's pretty fearless, but I'm still wondering how she will do. She loves coasters and all things fast but not sure about the darkness. I haven't been on it in years and forgot about what it's like. Is is that is if just real dark and they pop out real close?

My 44 incher still hasn't been on Dinosaur, but I think we will try this next trip. She's pretty fearless, but I'm still wondering how she will do. She loves coasters and all things fast but not sure about the darkness. I haven't been on it in years and forgot about what it's like. Is is that is if just real dark and they pop out real close?

If she's fearless about rides then I think she'd be fine. Then again, I may not be a good judge of that...lol! It is dark and the movements are jerky but nothing really pops out too close to you. The last dinosaur at the end is the one that scares you the most but it's not too bad.

Entry 7 - That time that Daisy cheated on Donald...TWICE!

Time for another update but this time it's all about food. Here's the kicker though...I forgot to take pictures of the food! (insert the biggest eye roll that you can on my part here) I really try to be good about taking pictures of food but for some reason, I just didn't.

We left Dinoland to head to TH and check in. We were there about 10:00 am which was 30 minutes early so we had to hang out a bit. Lucas and I thought it would be a good time to get a Bloody Mary but they were still working on opening up the Dawa Bar. They were willing to make it but said they had no garnishes and let's be honest...what's a Bloody Mary without garnishes?! So we decided to wait. After about 20 minutes, we still hadn't been called back to sit yet and Lucas went to see if they were ready with garnishes at Dawa but they still hadn't been delivered to the cast members. Bummer. Oh well, within a few minutes our party was called and we were on our way to sit and eat.

My mom and John were the only two that had been to TH before so it was new the rest of us. We purposefully planned our meal so that we could get both breakfast and lunch. This was beneficial for a couple reasons. The first is that you pay the cost of a breakfast buffet and can still eat the lunch food. The second is that my boys are so picky that breakfast is a solid bet of getting them to eat, whereas lunch food is a bit riskier. In the end, it was a wise choice.

We were seated and then quickly went to get our food. As I said already, I didn't get any pictures of the food. I will review it a bit though. It was really good. It's definitely the best breakfast buffet I've had at Disney. I've also had Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace in the past. This was by far the best. The food was so good. Everyone enjoyed it and was very full when we left. I must say, if you ever go and they are carving ham...GET IT! It has this kind of honey mustard type sauce you could put on it and it was amazing! They also have a breakfast dish that I don't remember the name of but is was kind of like grits but smooth instead of gritty and it had a sweet taste to it. It was also very good. I did take a picture of the boys and you can see their meals, which of course, included Mickey waffles. Jackson also felt that fruit loops on top of waffles was a good idea. He ate it though, so I was happy that he ate food!

IMG_5147.jpg

They really had good choices for the kids. One of the funniest parts was that my brother was hurrying to finish his food because he saw ice cream and really wanted some. He got up from the table and then came back empty handed. It turned out that the "ice cream" he had seen was really a bowl full of butter for bread! :rotfl2:

TH is of course a character breakfast so during our time eating we were visited by Mickey, Goofy, Donald and Daisy. The character interaction was really great. We made sure to put the boys on the end of the table so they could easily get up for pictures. First up was Goofy and it was during his meet that I got one of my favorite pictures of Brody that I turned into a zoom picture. You could clearly tell that the characters were still making him a little nervous and it was so funny. He'll have another similar picture with Chewbacca on another day that's even funnier.

631E87C3-ED95-4E59-BE5E-AAB18D2198E8.jpg
His face just screams "I'm happy to meet you...I think."

Here's a better one of the boys with Goofy that wasn't so funny.

IMG_1264.jpg

After Goofy, Donald came around and he was really fun with the boys, even giving Brody some rabbit ears.

IMG_1265.jpg IMG_5154.jpg

Up next was the star of the show, Mickey! We didn't know it at the time but this would be the only time we'd see him on the whole trip. I had every intention of seeing him again but it never happened. Luckily we got some good pics with him, including one with all four members of my immediate family. No pics for Grandma and Grandpa though. :guilty:

IMG_1267.jpg IMG_5182.jpg IMG_5189.jpg

Then the best part of breakfast happened, Daisy came! Now I have never had a particular love of Daisy until this day. The cast member playing her did such a great job. She was so interactive with the boys. We got lots of pictures with her but my favorites are when she started flirting with the boys.

IMG_1268.jpg
I LOVE this picture!

IMG_1269.jpg

Again you can see Brody was a bit shy. I started telling Daisy that I was going to tell Donald and we had a cute back and forth banter. I promised her that I'd keep her secret and then she was happy again. It was really such a great interaction and she's officially one of my favorite characters now.

As you can see by our to-go cups, we had reached the end of our meal and were ready to go. It was probably about 11:30 at this point and we had already experienced so much today and we aren't even close to being done! All in all, I really enjoyed our experience at TH. I hate having to pay so much for a buffet but the interactions really make it worth it...even if a breakfast for 4 ends up being $120ish.

UP NEXT - Will Dawa Bar finally have Bloody Mary garnishes?! :drinking1

Enjoying your TR! Your boys are so cute! You got some good pictures at TH. Expensive but worth it if you have young ones. My DH and I are going on a couples trip early Dec. No character meals for us but something we will definitely do down the road when we take our grandson. He's only 8 mos. old so it will be a few years but I'm already planning in my head :cool1:

Enjoying your TR! Your boys are so cute! You got some good pictures at TH. Expensive but worth it if you have young ones. My DH and I are going on a couples trip early Dec. No character meals for us but something we will definitely do down the road when we take our grandson. He's only 8 mos. old so it will be a few years but I'm already planning in my head :cool1:

So happy that you are here and enjoying it! I definitely agree that the character meals aren't worth the money if you don't have little ones. It's a really cute opportunity to meet characters when you do have them though.

Great report! Love your family photos - your kids are so cute!

Thank you so much! Glad you are here to read along! More photos and fun to come!

Hi there Ashley! I love your TR, your boys are so cute :)
It's been since 1998 since I've been to Disney World (eons ago!). We are heading down there in August--YAY!!! You look great in your pictures, I'm wondering what beauty/makeup products you bring with you?? I have pretty much the same coloring as you, which is why I'm asking.
Thanks for any help, I know the end of August will probably be a hot one there ;--)
Hope your day is good and weekend too!
Dana

Entry 8 - That time we finally got our Bloody Mary's!

If you remember from my previous post, we had quite a bit of trouble getting a bloody Mary before our meal at Tusker House. Once we finished our meal, my husband went right over to the Dawa Bar which was finally ready to make us a drink with all the fixins. (Yes I said fixins...I'm from the South, can't help it.) While he was ordering our drinks, I took the boys over to the drum area to get them out of the chaos around the TH check-in line. They enjoyed playing the drums, even though at first they weren't really into it.

IMG_52012.jpg

It wasn't too long before Lucas showed up with our drinks. The menu on the website showed 3 varieties of Bloody Mary's but he said they only had one, which was fine as it came with candied bacon! Nom Nom Nom!!!

IMG_1285.jpg

At this time we had planned to go see Flights of Wonder but they moved the first show back an hour. Since we had new drinks, we couldn't go on a ride, so it became time for a trek through the jungle. During this time I must have just enjoyed the walking (and drinking) because I didn't take many pictures. I did catch this one which I thought was too cute!

IMG_52102.jpg

Once we were done trekking, we still had time to spare so we hopped on a safari because the line was short. I always go on this ride and tell myself to just enjoy it and not to take pictures because who really needs 10 pictures of an elephant?! As always though, I took way too many photos. Here are just a few from our adventure. It was a normal safari, nothing outstanding happened but we all enjoyed it.

IMG_5215.jpg IMG_5214.jpg IMG_5220.jpg IMG_52212.jpg IMG_5224.jpg

After our safari, we made our way to Flights of Wonder. I stopped first and got a very refreshing frozen lemonade. It was a really cute show. I filmed some little videos but don't really know how to load them. I really think my favorite part was watching the boys during the show. By this time is was SO SO HOT and Jackson felt the need to give Lucas lots of relief.

IMG_5211.jpg

Brody, as you can tell, was really enjoying himself and thought the show was very funny.

IMG_5213.jpg

Once the show was over, we decided that we were going to head back to the hotel for a bit. I had plans to try to make it though the day but it was VERY hot and since we were planning to stay until close to watch Rivers of Light, I didn't want to chance the boys being out of sorts. My mom, who is a die hard park goer and doesn't like to miss a second of park time, decided to stay and enjoy some alone time. The rest of us went back for a swim and a bit of relaxing to beat the FL heat. We made our way to the bus stop and waited and waited and waited. It felt like about 30 minutes. It was now getting into later afternoon, maybe around 3ish. We had FPs for later starting at 5:15 with plans to eat an early dinner before having to ride so our time to rest and swim was quickly diminishing. On the bus ride back to the hotel, we could see storm clouds rolling in. Between the impending storm and the fact that our break time at the room had gone down to only 45 minutes, we decided to skip the pool and just let the kids hang out and watch cartoons. I believe that John and Lucas enjoyed some beer that we had brought and I enjoyed a glass of wine. While at the hotel it started to rain, and that's when we realized we left my poor mom in the park without the ponchos because they were in our bag. Oops! We relaxed for our allotted 45 minutes and then went to board a bus back to AK. By this time it wasn't really raining too bad. Just a steady drizzle really.

That'll wrap up this entry for now. UP NEXT - We FINALLY get to experience Pandora but only after eating some of my favorite food in AK!

Hi there Ashley! I love your TR, your boys are so cute :)
It's been since 1998 since I've been to Disney World (eons ago!). We are heading down there in August--YAY!!! You look great in your pictures, I'm wondering what beauty/makeup products you bring with you?? I have pretty much the same coloring as you, which is why I'm asking.
Thanks for any help, I know the end of August will probably be a hot one there ;--)
Hope your day is good and weekend too!
Dana

Hi! Thanks for joining in! I'm excited for your trip, first time in almost 20 years! That's so exciting! You are so sweet to say I look good in the pictures, I think I look like a literal hot mess! Lol! I honestly don't bring anything fancy with me. I just use typical foundation from Target. I did bring makeup remover cloths and used them every night. I would also highly suggest skipping any type of facial moisturizer. Mine made me sweat so much more. I only wore it for one day. Other than that, I utilize a lot of filters for my pictures. :) They truly are a girl's best friend. Hope some of that helps.

Oh thanks kindly for the quick reply!
Sounds good, I like your advice. I'm trying to gather up my beauty "arsenal" as we speak, ha ha. I don't want to bring too many products, but still want to look good for pictures, etc.
Thanks for your help Ashley, love your TR!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter