• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My DLP trip report

magicmouse2

DIS Veteran
We just got back from DLP for the first time. We have been to WDW many times and are DVC members.

Our thoughts.........

DLP -- you need to speak some french - especially to order food!
The castle is beautiful although smaller than Cinderellas castle. We love the dragon, in the basement of the castle even though it is very dark and possibly very scary for under 5's! (we found most of France is like this- not as well lit as USA or UK ) ?
You can do the Disneyland Park and Disney Studios and village in three days off peak season.
Winter is extremely COLD!
The stunt car show in the Disney studios is EXCELLENT. I am glad WDW are importing this show, even though we are huge fans of Indiana Jones.
Food - The fast food was so monotonous we didnt venture as far as the table service. (McDs *2 times the price)
Some people were VERY rude pushing in front of the lines to meet the characters - sorry most PEOPLE ( MAINLY FRENCH SPEAKING)
were very rude.- Not all French or European people were like this - at our hotel the staff were fabulous and very hospitable.
Characters were VERY patient and waited a long time to meet children. Some even pushed their 'friends' aside to sign additional autographs and pose for photos.
Transportation is EXCELLENT - our hotel a non disney hotel got us to the parks within 5 mins.
The RER rail track also gets you throughout Paris quickly. We visited Val's d'Europe - which we found to be a lot like Orlando Premium outlets but cheapeR
Some of the rides at DLP are better than WDW - Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster - 3 upside down loops!, and Pirates of the Carribean. In all DLP does not have half the' magic 'of WDW. The atmosphere just isnt there, even though we experienced the christmas parades. I will go there again, only to utilise our annual passes only again in off peak season. (the benefits of being a DLP annual pass holder outweigh the WDW benefits- 20% off restuarants, merchandise and free gifts)
We enjoyed the real reindeer in the xmas parade in DLP.
I also found that there is no non smoking policy and I choked throughout the parks - on cigarette fumes. Even some CMs at the rides were smoking.

Overall - ok but expensive for a European city break between holidays to WDW.

which resort did you stay at? My mom and I will be at the Holiday Inn in Jan :)

Thanks for the report :)

Smileymouse,

returned from stay at Holiday Inn last week :D
If you have any questions, I'll try to help

Regards
Reid :jester:

magicmouse2,
enjoyed the stunt show also, but think this would be better in summer - very COLD bottom!

Found the crowds in November less of a problem than in August.
I wish that CM's accompanying characters would follow the lead of Jessie in Walt Disney Studios where she refused to sign autographs and have photos taken until everyone; especially adults, queued properly.

Nice photographs. Mine are here
http://client.webshots.com/photo/218090879/218094147lIVSRu

Regards
Reid :jester:

Hi Magicmouse :wave:

We too went to DLP for the first time this year; we have been to WDW before.

I'm really surprised you found you needed French at all to order food; my experience was that everywhere had menus in different languages and the CMs would not speak Franch to us when they realised we were English!! I do speak French but did not need to at all in a four day trip there.

Totally agree with you about the behaviour of some of the guests!!

I found DLP a very different experience to WDW, but magical nonetheless :)

Karen

We stayed at the My travel explorers hotel. The kids loved it because it had a soft play area, a pirate ship play area and a pool with a slide. There was a cafe bar right next to the play areas which meant we could get food and drinks whilst the kids played. The rooms were clean and spacious and it was only a five minute bus journey to the parks.

re speaking french to order food. - I went to the CM at Hakuna Matata and said do you speak English ? she said 'non'.
So that is why we didnt eat at any tble service restaurants!

We ate at videopolis where the menus were in English too:p

Hi, magicmouse2, I enjoyed reading your report.

We will be staying at the Explorers next year. Is it possible (as in safe?) to walk to the parks from there? I know it would probably take about half an hour - that's not a problem as my DD's walk that to school every morning - but I see from the park plan that the Explorers is across a road and did not know if it would be easy/safe to cross or if there are pavements.

Elaine

There is a way to walk to the parks via the Disney hotels. Yes there is a large road to cross. Sorry I didnt notice any crossing points. I would imagine it takes about 30 minutes to walk to the parks, but we just took the bus it only takes 5 mins. :teleport:

I was wondering if you could tell me about the Holiday Inn. How did you like it? How long did it take to get to the park? What other things were there to see and do near the Holiday Inn?

We have now been twice to Holiday Inn and can recommend it. Stayed in Kid Suites rooms which I'm sure your boys would enjoy, depending on their ages.
Pool is probably the best at the park.
Shuttle buses take approx 10 mins to get to the park. Running frequently.
My only "gripe" was breakfast which we felt was overpriced and the cooked selection of undercooked scrambled eggs and spicey sausages. We would have been happy with a continental option, but full price had to be paid even if you only wanted a OJ, coffee and croissant.
We are going back in the summer and despite what I've said above will most probably stay in HI again - €100 / night booked on internet is hard to knock.
I've found a site with a good selection of photographs of all aspects of the hotel, which is worth a look.
http://www.pbase.com/pizzaman/room

Regards
Reid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter