• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my dog ate a pork bone from petsmart

hugabearjo

DIS Veteran
know this isn't the place to ask this but, I really don't know where else to turn. I had great luck with the support here when I am planning my vacations and hope someone out there is also a pet lover.

I bought my dog a pet bone from petsmart. It said it was pork I never thought much about it, I assumed (there was my problem) that because it was sold in a pet store with my pet in tow that it would be safe. I guess not. I have now read that never to give pork bones because they splinter like chicken would. She vomited yesterday and there was clear shards of bone, 48 hours after she had eatten it. While she was eatting it I thought it funny she could crunch it. But, I thought it must not be real bone then just flavored. I feel so stupid I gave this too her. She appears to feel fine behaviorly but she is a droopy dog anyway and we lost her sibling, our dear friend in Dec. and she has been depressed since then. She eats today only with lots of encouragement. But, with the depression that has been the case for some times on different days other days she eats fine.

I have looked at her stools and they appear to have no bone, but are slimy and loose.... sorry about the grafficness of this....

My vet doesn't seem to concerned when I called him, he said if I was worried then bring her in for an x-ray.

Has anyone had this experience? What can I do to help her pass it? Will it hurt her? I called pet smart and they were no help.... they said I should some how have known that the bone that says vet approved and good for teeth and gums and chewing health wasn't for "heavy" chewers. THere is a warning upon closer inspection half covered by a sticker that says something about watching to make sure it doesn't splinter. The internet says, "never give pork bones to dogs" I didn't know that...

What do I do? Thanks for helping a worried pet "mom".

I'm in no way a vet but I think I would look for blood in the stool and any tenderness in the belly. Chances are, your pup doesn't have any shards caught in the throat because she would be coughing. The thing I would worry about is them getting lodged in the walls of her stomach or intestines during the digestion/elimation process.

I'm not sure I would do an x-ray at this point because they would have to sedate her. Without symptoms, an x-ray would be more invasive.

I would just watch her like a hawk and be ready to call the vet at the first sign of anything.

Hope this helps.

Probably everything is fine, but I would take the dog to the vet just to be sure. I'm so nervous about these things - not the same thing but my dog got a Greenie stuck in his throat and almost died. It was horrible. He didn't, thank God, but now I won't give my dogs any bones, any pig ears, greenies, hooves, etc etc.

PamNC

Our 9 year old Dalmation ate the leftover bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. My mother in law was babysitting while DH and I were at Disneyland of all places and she isn't used to dogs and left it sitting out on the counter. After some nasty cleanups (I got home just in time lucky me) she was fine. If she doesn't seem her old self in a day or two I would take her in. Dogs have strong stomachs! I could do a whole book on what my garbage disposal beagle has eaten. My vet like yours was totally unworried and the extent of his advice was to recommend a good carpet cleaning service. Good luck and I was also call the store that sold you that bone and let them have it!

No suggestions on the dog problem but over on the Community board there are many dog owners who might be able to help as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter