My fake Disney trip to Salt Lake City

smartmommy4

Earning My Ears
In May 2018 I traveled to Salt Lake City. I have been going to Disney World for years and I thought the kids could use a non Disney trip so that they know what life is like outside Disney. It would be a lot cheaper than Disney, but just as fun!

Replacements:

1. Instead of Pop Century Resort, we stayed at the local Hyatt, which was a new 3 star hotel that cost the same and had 3 - yes, 3 - queen size beds, bigger than the Grand Floridian, and it provided free hot breakfast for our family of 4 every day. It also had a pool and hot tub. And weight room. And front desk without lines.
2. Instead of Disney Springs, our Hyatt was located in a huge outdoors mall that is similar to Disney Springs.
3. Instead of Magic Kingdom, we had the Lagoon Amusement Park, which was within walking distance of our hotel. To get there, we had to walk across a 14 lane highway on a tall pedestrian bridge. It was so nerve wrecking, it was like a ride!
4. Instead of Epcot, we had the Temple Square and the Clark Planetarium, both FREE!!!
5, There is also a local zoo, but we didn't go.
6. There is a full size passenger train called Front Runner that went from near the hotel to downtown Salt Lake. We took it to travel to downtown and ate at restaurants, all of which were much cheaper than Disney restaurants. The weather was beautiful the whole time.

So did we enjoy our fake Disney trip? Nope.

The Hyatt was much nicer than Pop Century, but it had no MAGIC! No Disney magic! That's what's wrong with the entire trip. The Lagoon Park is a very decent amusement park, really, but it doesn't hold a candle to Magic Kingdom. The best ride there is worst than the worst ride in Disney World! Heck, my kids refused to go on most of the rides! We paid a fraction of the price compared to Disney parks, and got even less enjoyment than that!

Now I am really going to appreciate Disney World when I go again. And I will never go anywhere else on vacation, ever.

Last edited:
Aww. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.Did you really mean that you'd never go anywhere else ever? If so I hope you change you mind one day, as there are so many lovely places in the world. One is surely right for your family at some stage.

I can see how recreating a brand leader like Disney would leave you feeling dissatisfied and looking on the bright side at least it validates the value to you of the extra Disney cost. Maybe if you do decide to try elsewhere again you could go for something *completely* different? Opposite in every way. Not even staying in a typical hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts