My fellow motion sickness friends...what works best for you?

MrsHammer

Mickey and I go way back
So, as I've gotten older, I've become more prone to motion sickness. In the past, I've taken either Dramamine or Bonine and have fared pretty well through most rides. However, both of those drugs tend to make me very tired, sleepy and draggy. I'd like to try something with less of those side effects. I've never used a patch....any input from anyone on those? I also just started taking blood pressure medicine over the last 6 months, so I really don't know if that impacts what I can take now or not. As far as rides, I usually do ok on roller coasters, it's the motion simulators that take me down...I can't even watch most you tube videos or play video games without having to turn away after just a few minutes. I don't want to have to skip FOP and Smugglers Run on our next trip.

I take Bonine and don't get drowsy from it. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine so I use both versions. I have read where some people recommended taking Bonine right before bed if it does make you drowsy because it's supposed to last for 24 hours and by morning some people find the drowsy part has worn off.

The only time I had the patch was after surgery and it was the 4th or 5th thing they tried to control my nausea and vomiting so I can't say for sure what caused what. But I did end up with a horrendous headache that made me nervous to try it again.

A quick tip for whatever you try on FoP though, I've been on it several times now and even with Bonine it throws me off a bit. But I found one of the most helpful things for me was to watch something higher up on the screen that isn't moving, instead of watching where you are going. Seems to make a pretty big difference for me.

Good luck!

I use non-drowsy Dramamine and that seems to work. Sometimes so well, that I forget the next day to take more. On our cruise and at the parks I also carry a little bag with crystallized ginger to suck on if I'm feeling a little nauseous. That seems to help a lot.

Also, I like Dis703's suggestion of fixating on an object higher on the screen (or air)that isn't moving. This helps A TON for me. Good luck!

I use a patch to cruise but not for the rides. Quite frankly, I avoid them. The patch has side effects. Serious dry mouth and slightly blurred vision so I avoid it for just a few rides in WDW. Can't cruise w/o it and I'm THAT sensitive to motion.
I keep saying since I'm AP, one day I'll throw on a patch (you actually do it the night before) and then make a plan to ride all the rides I know will make me sick and get them done and over with. I'm not a fan of drops either so if they are including (mission space) I won't do them at all.

I hear some people do very well with ginger pills and ginger gum. I'm just way too sensitive to not at least have dramamine/bonine. Both make me drowsy.
That's an alternative if the OTC stuff works but makes you drowsy.

Bonine is meclizine... 25mg per pill. I can get sick in the bathtub, so I make sure to take it regularly. I like to take one pill just before bedtime (around midnight) so I am less drowsy during the afternoon. Last time we went to WDW, I took the Bonine, wore the sea bands, and used a scope patch. FoP still made me sick; I spent most of the ride with my eyes closed, glad that there was a breeze blowing on me. :worried: :sick: When the ride would stop, DD25 would say, "Mom, open your eyes! It's magnificent!" and it truly was, until the screen started to move again. Maybe next time we go, I'll take Bonine before bed and again 12 hours later, use the bands and the patch, and maybe I'll be able to ride FoP.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stick with Bonine and hope for the best. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to do FOP last thing before leaving the park that day just in case it sets me back.

I have become motion sick as I have gotten older. We went on a cruise last year and that was horrible as I didn't realize that I got sea sick. I take Bonine but it does not make me drowsy. I haven't used it in the parks yet. I never thought of that. I just avoided the rides. Soarn always gave me a problem but sitting in the first row you can see above the screen. Looking at this helped a lot. The last time I rode I was in the second row and almost didn't make it off without being sick. So definitely finding something that is stationary does help.

I only have used the scoplamine patch for cruising and long flights. While I don’t feel nauseous with it I do have side effects. Blurred vision and I tend to walk around like I’m drunk. I also get nauseated and the room tends to flip after I remove it. For just a boat trip I take Bonine and it’s worked well for me with no side effects.

A tip for Smugglers run - don't be a pilot - be an engineer. It's farthest from the screen and you have buttons to push that keep your mind and eyes off of the movement of the ride. how bumpy the ride is depends on the pilots.

Best advice is avoid rides that might cause motion sickness. Certain medications you might be taking can also make you more sensitive to motion. There are plenty of other rides to take advantage of. Why do something that might make you feel ill and ruin the rest of your day at Disney?

I agree with 19disnA. Flight of Passage is a fun ride, but I was honestly underwhelmed by it and certainly wouldn't risk my enjoyment of a day at Disney just to ride it. Haven't been on Smuggler's Run yet, but feel the same way about it. Whether it's the wait time, effort to rope drop, fight for a fastpass, or risk of motion sickness...I'm just not willing to compromise my overall enjoyment of the day for one or two attractions. I'd rather be happily singing along with Carousel of Progress than staggering off of Flight of Passage feeling like I'm about to vomit.

Best advice is avoid rides that might cause motion sickness. Certain medications you might be taking can also make you more sensitive to motion. There are plenty of other rides to take advantage of. Why do something that might make you feel ill and ruin the rest of your day at Disney?
My trip will be with my daughter who can't ride by herself and would like to experience those rides, so if I don't do the rides, then she doesn't get to ride them either.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stick with Bonine and hope for the best. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to do FOP last thing before leaving the park that day just in case it sets me back.
I get SERIOUS motion sickness on 3D rides. I took half of a Dramamine upon entering AK and our FOP FP was for the next hour. I wanted the meds to work without ending up asleep on a bench. It worked for me! I cried because it was the first 3D ride I've ever enjoyed! I spent the rest of the morning bucking up on caffeine to combat the drowsiness, but it was absolutely worth it in my opinion.

I take Bonine and don't get drowsy from it. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine so I use both versions. I have read where some people recommended taking Bonine right before bed if it does make you drowsy because it's supposed to last for 24 hours and by morning some people find the drowsy part has worn off.

The only time I had the patch was after surgery and it was the 4th or 5th thing they tried to control my nausea and vomiting so I can't say for sure what caused what. But I did end up with a horrendous headache that made me nervous to try it again.

A quick tip for whatever you try on FoP though, I've been on it several times now and even with Bonine it throws me off a bit. But I found one of the most helpful things for me was to watch something higher up on the screen that isn't moving, instead of watching where you are going. Seems to make a pretty big difference for me.

Good luck!
This is what I do. Bonine is a 24 hour chewable, so I take before bed and never have an issue with it making me groggy.

I get motion sick very easily. This past trip I used bonine. I think it helped. That said I still didn’t even attempt Star Tours. I rode MFSR 3 times, it made me feel a bit off, but not bad. I walked it off just on our way to whatever was next and was fine. FoP was a different story. The first half was absolutely my favorite thing at Disney. The second half was misery and I was certain I would vomit. It took every ounce of my willpower to make t through even with my eyes closed. I took the bonine half an hour prior as well so it would be fresh in my system. I ended up just sitting out our FPs later in the week. It wasn’t worth it.

I have suffered from motion sickness and Vertigo from childhood. I have prescription Meclizine, and it works, but also makes me drowsy and sluggish. I use a product called Sea Bands. They look like sweatbands, and they use acupressure to help keep motion sickness at bay. They come in a package of 2 for about $8. You need to wear both for them to work properly. I find them very effective at avoiding motion sickness, but a little less effective if it has already begun. I use them at the parks, on long car rides, flights, and on cruises. The only thing I don't like about them is the way they look, but the results are worth it.

I agree with a lot of the advice that's been provided. I've taken Bonine before bed and that worked out perfectly. I was able to ride the Harry Potter ride at Universal and enjoy it. I also enjoyed our Disney Cruise without any motion sickness. I've tried the patch as well, and the dry mouth and blurred vision were not worth it for me.

If you are just starting a new medication, check with doctor before trying anything. Even if you took the motion sickness medications before, that doesn't mean you will react the same now with BP meds in your system.

As for motion sickness options, there's the band that presses into your wrist. I was recommended that for when I was pregnant and although it didn't work for me, it might work for people with motion sickness.

Ginger, which has been mentioned, is worth trying if you want to avoid medication.

And as others have said, fix your eyes on one point during the ride. It's been recommended to me to even close one eye and fix the other on one spot to help with motion sickness.

And when in doubt, ask your doctor for anti-emetic medicine that won't make you sleepy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter