My First Magical Christmas @ Disney 2010

Disneywedding2010

DIS Veteran
My name is Kristina and I am a Disney addict. My DF and friends tell me that I should be admitted to Disney Anonymous.

My first time to Disney was back in 1995 with my mom, dad, and brother. We spent 4 days at the parks and then did a cruise on The Big Red Boat. I can honestly say I don't remember much of that trip but things changed when I went again in 2007 with my late husband.

Josh had been on deployment most of 2007. When he returned home that November we were syked because my mom had booked us a 4 day trip at her timeshare offsite. Josh had never been to Disney and that's all he talked about the whole deployment.

I remember the night before the trip we could barely sleep. His parents had flown in from VA to watch our daughter while we were gone. We got up that morning and finished getting ready and our friend took us to the airport. We spent the first day at timeshare swimming and just relaxing.

The next day we got on the bus and headed to Magic Kingdom. I will never forget the look on Josh's face when we arrived at Magic Kingdom and he saw the castle. His eyes lit up like a little kid's and his jaw hit the floor. :love: We had a blast just walking around the park and riding the different rides. I remember when we were standing in line for Space Mountaint he started freaking out telling me he was scared of the dark and he didn't want to ride it. :lmao: I just looked at him and laughed and told him he'd be okay. We got off of it and all he kept saying was WOW over and over.

The trip was memorable and I will never forget it. My first trip back to Disney after Josh's passing was July of 2009. My friends and fiance stayed at SSR for a few days. We were there to make arrangement for our Disney wedding. I remember walking into Magic Kingdom and at the first sight of the castle just started to cry. All of those memories came flooding back from Josh and I's trip back in 2007. Every ride we rode I had images going through my head of Josh and I riding them. It was while we were on that trip that I decided I wanted to make this trip every year not just to have a nice annual vacation but to do it in memory of him.

CAST FOR THIS TRIP:

Myself and my DF Alan

happiertimes.jpg

Christmas 07

Josh and Maddie passed away January 27, 2008. We were heading back to my mom's house from my dad's (they are divorced). We were hit head on by a drunk driver. Josh, Maddie, and the drunk all died that night. I sustained serious injuries and was careflighted to the local hospital where surgery was performed to save my life. After weeks of jumping from one hospital to the next, burying my family in a full military honors funeral I was able to come back to my mom's house. Then the hard part came of trying to figure out... WHAT'S NEXT?

I had a dear friend helping me through the hardest time of my life. He was there to just talk to or cry to when I needed it. We began to get closer and after many heart to hearts with myself and him I eased into a relationship. I made a point to tell him "You will not replace Josh. I still love him and always will and if you can't handle that then we aren't pursuing this." We've been together 2.5 years. He's my rock. He gets me through the hard days, the good days, and the just eh okay days. He goes to the cemetary with me every Christmas, birthday, or major holiday to lay flowers, release balloons, or drink a soda and eat an Oreo in their memory. If it weren't for Alan I can honestly say I'd either be dead or in a psych ward.

Wrestling147.jpg

Kristina I do miss them and I love them dearly. You guys are my second family. That guy Alan though is the most craziest, funniest guy ever and you guys have made such a lovely couple for the longest time. I love you both. Cant wait for Disney for all of us:hug:

We had done Disney in February at Baylake with friends. Well after that trip we had decided we weren't going to take another one this year because we would of had to pay for it out of pocket. I only had so many points left of our DVC and I had opted to let my wonderful best friend (Minnie J) use them to take her family to Disney for the first time.

So out of nowhere back in March I was having a really hard time emotionally. I was missing Josh and Maddie and decided I didn't want to be here for Christmas. The holidays are the hardest time of year for me to get through. So I started looking into things. I remember Alan was out towing a car when I called him up.

"Hey, what do you think about taking another Disney trip this year?"

"I thought we didn't have anymore DVC points and we'd have to pay for it."

"Yeah we would but I have that tax refund coming in and we could use that to pay for whatever trip we decide on"

"Okay"

"Well, when would you want to go?"

"I don't care you decide" (He ALWAYS says this :lmao: )

"Well, what about Christmas?"

"That'd be cool, just the two of us. Yeah okay"

"Okay, I'll do some looking around and see what I can find."

Thus began my planning process.. :)

Gotta love those "I dont care huney" talks with Alan!! Im excited we both get Disney this year!!:cool1: :thumbsup2

We had already used all of our DVC points for the year so then began the search of what resort we wanted to stay at. Well, I'm a little spoiled when it comes to the villas with our DVC. :) So I decided I'd look into one of the DVC resorts. I decided on OKW because I had never been. I like certain cuisine and was turned off by the menu selections at a few of the other restaurants.

Then came the next task of booking airfare. This part I was not looking forward to. In the past we have drove from our home in Texas to FL. Well, with the blood clot in my leg not cooperating the last trip and being miserable I vowed to never make that drive again. Yes, I did the stopping and taking breaks and it just wasn't pleasant.

After booking the hotel reservation I realized "Hey I have a tax refund coming in and I'll just wait for that before I book plane tickets." Great idea, right? WRONG! My taxes got sent back to me a month after I completed them because I forgot to sign them.. :eek:. This is when I realized "I just need to dip into savings and get our plane tickets." The IRS was telling me that it was going to be another 12 weeks before I got my tax refund. So I went ahead and started looking for tickets.

Now, I only fly nonstop from DFW to MCO. Its a lot less stressful and easier for me. So my first place I looked? AIRTRAN! They always have a early morning nonstop flight from DFW to MCO (its typically a 7am flight). So I log into Airtran and plug in dates and hold my breath for what I was going to see. $244 RT per person! Hey that's not bad for a nonstop flight.

My best friend was over the day I was doing this and I asked her opinon. "Do you think I should wait or book them?"

"Well, seeing as its June now and they are probably just going to get worse the closer it gets to Christmas, I'd book them now"

This ladies and gentlemen is why she is my best friend. :) She gives awesome advice. So I click on the PayPal icon and BAM! Plane tickets are reserved.

(OFF TOPIC: I checked that same flight itenerary a few days ago and total for both tickets was almost $1000 dollars. :scared1: I'm glad I booked when I did).

I'm glad you booked when you did too!! Those tickets are getting outrageous now!! I know theres another thread on here saying that the best they found was 344 per person. Im like :scared1: Cant wait till you get some mickey mail!!:cool1:

Now, this is where I literally spent one day in front of my laptop with notebook paper and pen in hand trying to figure all this out.

First, to find the park hours, CHECK

Make note of parade times and shows, CHECK

Now, to figure out what days to go to what parks..

I ask DF for his opinion and again I get "I don't care"

Allllllllllrighty then..

We will be there Dec 23 - 29th

After much debate over which park I wanted to be in for Christmas Day I finally had it all figured out.

Dec 23 - Arriving, chilling at resort

Dec 24 - MK

Dec 25 - HS, EMH

Dec 26 - Resort Day

Dec 27 - Epcot (Planning on booking Candlelight Processional when its time)

Dec 28 - Animal Kingdom

Dec 29 - Going home :(

Then came the hard part of figuring out what ADRs to do. I had never ate at any of the restaurants at the parks. We just always did quick service. Well since I had the DDP I wanted to take advantage of it. I agonized over this for a few hours and got some down on paper. However, thanks to a wonderful friend (Minnie J) those plans would not stick for long because she mentioned Disboards. Then I suddenly remembered, "Wait, I'm a member there as well. I've not been on there for months." Since joining the board again I've changed them once already and I'm sure I'll change them at least one more time before we embark on our magical Christmas at Disney. :santa:

I love these boards!! useful information that will get you changing your mind at least once!! :lmao: The schedule looks great for when you're there!! Hope you can book CP very soon and also Chef Mickey for breakfast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter