My NYC Marathon Training Journal 2.0! Comments welcome.

Ended up w/ no gym today just running. I was thinking about it last night, but it was a combo of waking up a little later and doing 4.5 instead of the 4. Today was nice and easy, no pushing anything as the long run is tomorrow. As of right now, I think that'll be my plan of attack for DDD ~ run the 5k and stopping if there are any pics but only unique ones if there are any, 10k nice and easy using that for pics for the race and then all out for the 1/2. I don't think at this point I'll by quite there for a pr, but it'll definitely be a rD pr which is just as good.

Long run done! :cool1: 100% better than last week's fiasco and happy that the miles were pretty consistent. I wasn't expecting anything great b/c it's a weekday which means the lights I normally can run through I had to stop at and some of them were pretty long. But aside from that I'm happy w/ how it worked out. I've also noticed that as I'm training more, I'm slowly beginning to take in less water, not in a bad or good way just less. I take out a small bottle even if it's a short run like 3 and will drink a lot of it, but I noticed this morning I went almost a mile w/o taking anything. I tried some new fuel today; gu came out w/ small chomp-like chews and it was nice b/c it's in a smaller bag than the honey stingers that I usually use and it only had 4-5 in there and that was a serving which was also nice. I tried the black cherry flavor and it was delicious and even better was there was a slight tartness afterwards which made your mouth water and helps if you get dry mouth when you run. The 1 downside was that the bag was hard to open. It had a tear here part, but it wouldn't tear so I had to pull apart. Not bad if you're just eating them, but on a run it was a little bit of a hassle. Next time I'll just put them in a baggy beforehand.

And now the waiting begins... the office is dead quiet and it's Friday afternoon and time is just dragging on. It feels like forever until 5:00. It doesn't help that DL 1/2 Weekend officially released bib #s and program today to get me even more excited. :rotfl: The one saving grace is that the Giants are playing the Cubs so it's a day game and on the radio. Definitely not as good as being at Wrigley watching and drinking but it helps a little. :goodvibes

No running yesterday or today. I was congested Thur and Fri, but combine that w/ no sleep while at DL it turned into a really bad cold by Mon. Didn't even go to work yesterday. Today I feel a lot better, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get out again and depending on how I feel, it'll either be a short 4 miler or a medium-ish 10 miler. I'm hoping for 10 that way Fri I can do 4 and Sat I have 16.

Hope you are recovered and getting to get your 10 miler in today. Good luck on this weekends 16 miler!

So I jinxed myself in writing that I was getting better, b/c it wasn't/isn't. After I got home from work, the coughing fits started and by Friday night an ear infection set in. :mad: I haven't done anything this past week and it's got me a little freaked out. I know 1 week isn't going to do anything and it's better to be now vs. next month or Oct when the runs really pick up, it's more b/c this was my 1st big mileage week.

In hopes of not jinxing anything more, I am feeling better today, coughing hasn't been too bad and my ear is getting a little better. I'm crossing my fingers that when I wake up extra early tomorrow morning I'll feel that much better and can get a 16 in. Probably not the wisest thing since I haven't run since the Fri before last and I have zero expectations for it, but I'd rather get the miles in on an average run than a short one tomorrow and have 16 pushed to Wed since I have a race this weekend. And it'll give me a chance to get another 10 in before the race as well.

So I jinxed myself in writing that I was getting better, b/c it wasn't/isn't. After I got home from work, the coughing fits started and by Friday night an ear infection set in. :mad: I haven't done anything this past week and it's got me a little freaked out. I know 1 week isn't going to do anything and it's better to be now vs. next month or Oct when the runs really pick up, it's more b/c this was my 1st big mileage week.

In hopes of not jinxing anything more, I am feeling better today, coughing hasn't been too bad and my ear is getting a little better. I'm crossing my fingers that when I wake up extra early tomorrow morning I'll feel that much better and can get a 16 in. Probably not the wisest thing since I haven't run since the Fri before last and I have zero expectations for it, but I'd rather get the miles in on an average run than a short one tomorrow and have 16 pushed to Wed since I have a race this weekend. And it'll give me a chance to get another 10 in before the race as well.
I am sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and I know it sucks. Having said that I don't think it's wise to try to make up the miles you missed out on. Here are some reasons why. You system is recovering from a cold and your run will more than likely not go well, which will discourage you more than you already are (16 miler). Running the 16 will prolong the cold. You haven't lost much, if any fitness. Two weeks isn't that a big of a deal. You have a race this weekend that will probably do more for you fitness wise than the 16 miler would. Attempting to do both is ~5 day period will lead to disappointment and could lead to injury. I know that part sounds crazy, but I've been there and got the T-shirt.

Run a few easy miles this week and your race this weekend and pick up the schedule on Monday like you completed the last two weeks.
This is just my 2 cents. Hope you do feel better soon and are back to your normal schedule in no time.

I am sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and I know it sucks. Having said that I don't think it's wise to try to make up the miles you missed out on. Here are some reasons why. You system is recovering from a cold and your run will more than likely not go well, which will discourage you more than you already are (16 miler). Running the 16 will prolong the cold. You haven't lost much, if any fitness. Two weeks isn't that a big of a deal. You have a race this weekend that will probably do more for you fitness wise than the 16 miler would. Attempting to do both is ~5 day period will lead to disappointment and could lead to injury. I know that part sounds crazy, but I've been there and got the T-shirt.

Run a few easy miles this week and your race this weekend and pick up the schedule on Monday like you completed the last two weeks.
This is just my 2 cents. Hope you do feel better soon and are back to your normal schedule in no time.
I ended up not doing that. :goodvibes Just some smaller runs and then the race. Picked up a nice new ring yesterday...
2c398b4ba3dfd7e2218e82e08d166028.jpg

Here's a non-ring pic...
301bee72e7f1e07bf1579343ac8e4b4d.jpg

Weather was beautiful, fog the entire race which was great b/c there's no shade along the course. But it wasn't heavy like normal and when we got out to the Golden Gate you could see both towers, I love running up there it's so pretty. A big downside to the race that I always manage to forget it after Fishermans Wharf is the Boudin Bread bakery. Oh my god, it smelled soooooooo goooooood! I could live on just sourdough bread for the rest of my life and be happy. And there was a slight burn smell too which means crunchy crust. :love:
Feel good today, my feet and lower calves are a little sore, but that's b/c there was a 1.5-2 mile stretch where you're on paved road but it's not smooth (you can feel and se the little rocks) and then trail w/ some sand so your feet are contorting a bit, which for training purposes is always good to work muscles in a new way. We finished on the warning track in Center Field and the best part was that we could relax after the race on the grass so I got to hang out in Left Field. :cloud9:

Came up w/ a bucket list item on the run too; while running I looked at my watch and figured at the same time in 2 weeks I'd be running in Angels Stadium to so I'm now on a quest to run a race in all the ballparks that offer them. I know more and more teams are doing it b/c races are so popular what better way to capitalize on it. I've gone to close to 1/2 the parks already and have to finish the rest and this would be just another way to experience each field and there's even one in April in Cooperstown at this amazing little apple mill place w/ incredible cheese.

The other new development is that my dad and I were looking at a google map of the hotel area annnnd there's a tattoo parlor w/ great yelp reviews around the corner. I was planning on getting my race tattoo after the race at home, but what better way to do it than to get a NY tattoo in NY. So pretty sure those are my Mon evening plans now and it works out b/c my dad wants to have dinner at a fancy steak place and I'm not a steak person and always feel like it's a waste to go and just get chicken.

On tap this week we really amp up the runs...
Tues ~ 5 miles, gym and lower body
Wed ~ 10 miler, gym and upper body
Thur ~ 3-4 miles in the hills
Fri ~ maybe swimming, even though it's x-training, I love it so it's more relaxing than a workout.
Sat ~ 17 miles
Sun ~ Gym and lower body

If your adding sporting complexes to run into, I believe sometime in the fall there is a 5k that ends inside the Superdome.

Crazy busy week is finally almost over, only 4 more hours of work to get through. Runs are going pretty good, legs are feeling stronger and my lungs are pretty much back to normal as well so breathing has been a lot better too. Just a short run today, b/c I've got the 5k and DDD this weekend, soo excited to see what they're doing for the anniversary for the race. 1st flight out tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to get to the expo by 9:30 to get in line and hoping even more so that there'll be some merch left by the time I get in to the hall. I know DL is smaller than the WDW races, but it just seems so much more crowded and crazy at the DL races. Maybe it's b/c they have some official merch in the bib pickup area and then in the expo or maybe it really is just b/c of the size/layout at DL? So we'll see.

Running outfits are done and all packed, it's just a waiting game now. :mickeyjum:dumbo: And not only is it race weekend, but college football starts tomorrow! :hyper: Won't get to see any games b/c I'll be at the parties tomorrow night, but while I'm relaxing on Sat, it's on like Donkey Kong. :rotfl:Geaux Tigers!!! :tigger::tigger::tigger::tigger::tigger::tigger:

Good luck! I am a little jealous of your trip with races. I haven't ran I race in a few months and the half I am signed up for in October seems like forever away. For your football fix, some games start tomorrow. Not sure what time your race is Saturday, but the Tigers kickoff at 6:30, which would be 4:30? at DL...

Good luck! I am a little jealous of your trip with races. I haven't ran I race in a few months and the half I am signed up for in October seems like forever away. For your football fix, some games start tomorrow. Not sure what time your race is Saturday, but the Tigers kickoff at 6:30, which would be 4:30? at DL...
Thanks! You should try and come out for the DL races, just as fun as WDW just smaller. I feel you about the waiting game w/ races, that's how I'll be after this weekend. I have a 10k at the end of Sept but it's local so I really don't count it and then nothing until NY. Although, I couldn't imagine racing in LA this time of year, I'd melt. :rotfl2:

I'll miss tomorrow's games. And it's the 1st time in forever too; they're having a party for the runners in the park, extra of course, tomorrow night so I'll be playing there. I have my fingers crossed for Sat although I know it won't work. It's on the SEC Network out here and the hotel won't have it. ESPN Zone might have it on one of the small screens, but it gets crazy crowded w/ all the games and UCLA is at 12:30 so that will draw a tooonnn of people and the ones that do leave get replaced immediately by the USC crowd hoping to get spots early for their game. But I have it DVRed so I can watch it Sun night when I get back.

Thanks! You should try and come out for the DL races, just as fun as WDW just smaller. I feel you about the waiting game w/ races, that's how I'll be after this weekend. I have a 10k at the end of Sept but it's local so I really don't count it and then nothing until NY. Although, I couldn't imagine racing in LA this time of year, I'd melt. :rotfl2:

I'll miss tomorrow's games. And it's the 1st time in forever too; they're having a party for the runners in the park, extra of course, tomorrow night so I'll be playing there. I have my fingers crossed for Sat although I know it won't work. It's on the SEC Network out here and the hotel won't have it. ESPN Zone might have it on one of the small screens, but it gets crazy crowded w/ all the games and UCLA is at 12:30 so that will draw a tooonnn of people and the ones that do leave get replaced immediately by the USC crowd hoping to get spots early for their game. But I have it DVRed so I can watch it Sun night when I get back.

Maybe one day I'll make it to DL, but it's not on the top of list for the time being. Wouldn't mind making a trip, but there are other places I would like to go to before there... The weather is actually improved the last few days. Our high has been in the low 90's with morning lows around 72. A nice improvement of 99 and 78. Sorry watching the game will be difficult to do. I am kinda crazy about watching the game, and have only missed one home game in the last 8 years. I missed weddings for games.. yea I am that guy.

So much fun this past weekend! Got in Thur morning and went straight to the expo where I got in line for the merch (you kinda have to do that at the DL races at least). I was kind of expecting a little more from the merch, but that's okay b/c I went crazy and would've done a lot more damage than I did. I got 3 shirts, a DDD one, long sleeve 10th anniversary 1 and then the 1/2 I did it shirt along w/ a gym bag. The I did it shirt was the only 1 that tied in the 60th and had a diamond on the back of the shirt w/ the course printed over it and it was my celebratory race so it worked out for the best. I really liked the Donald NB shoes, they looked even better in person, but I have the Tink ones and I use them for park shoes since I can't run in them. Thurs the parks seemed really dead to me and most of Fri as well. They got busier starting Fri afternoon, but no more than usual.

The runs were great. The 5k was a ton of fun and all in the dark; didn't really plan that out too well w/ my outfit, but fun nonetheless. We had fog for the race, but some humidity which made it a tiny bit warmer. The 10k was villain themed and awesome! Time was horrible, but that was the plan going in b/c it was going to be my picture race and the villains they had out I've never seen even at Halloweentime, so couldn't pass those up. No fog during that race, but it meant no humidity which was good. The CMs along the course are always great and 1 of the best parts about the backstage area. Also got to see the pumpkin Mickey head that goes in Town Square out ready to be moved in and they had some of the animals from the petting zoo near the fence for pics too. Sun, no fog again, but it was warm especially once you get out into the streets and there's not much shade. My plan was to run that race like a training run, buuuut they had great photo ops again so it was a good 9 miler. :goodvibes Not only did they have characters, but there were stops were they had signs you could hold for the race too which was great. Mouseplanet had a stop around mile 6.5 and they were handing out cold sponges and that really helped a lot, b/c I had a really dry mouth and water/powerade wasn't doing anything but make it worse so I didn't really take anything in the back 1/2 of the race; just pouring water on me and the sponge during the stops. I was able to take in a peppermint gu after Angels Stadium b/c it was somewhat cool w/ the mint, that was good and needed. Being mid-training for NY really allowed me to have a good 9 miler, b/c I think I really would've been struggling just on the sponges alone. I never order pics from races, they're crazy expensive and I use my own, but I got 2 really good ones in front of the castle on Sat and Sun, so when I get a coupon or they have a deal I'm going to order them.

No gym this week, just running, kind of like a semi-recovery week but not w/ mileage. Legs recovered great, feet were a little sore Mon, but that was b/c you're in the parks for 4 days and running so you do a lot more mileage than the 22.4 miles. Tues I was back to normal and feeling great. Tomorrow I haven't decided how much I'm doing it says 4, but might do 6 we'll see how it goes. Sat it gets real and I have an 18-19 miler. We're having a heat wave right now and they say it's supposed to be over Sat, but a little worried about what it'll be like once the sun is up. As much as I've been focused on NY, I had DDD weekend to kind of break it up and focus a little on, but now that it's over and nothing before it, it's all NY all the time. :rotfl2:

I am kinda crazy about watching the game, and have only missed one home game in the last 8 years. I missed weddings for games.. yea I am that guy.

If I lived in LA, I'd be at all the games too so no worries, I completely get that. :tigger: But that's also probably a good thing b/c I am so increrdibly superstitious it's not even funny. I have my LSU Football shirt that I have to wear every game day, but about 15 min before kickoff I have to take it off. And for conference games, I completely avoid any channel that might have the scores and DVR the games. Then around 6:30 out here for 4:15 games, I'll start watching. I know logically that I have no influence over the games or the scores, but it always seems when I change it up and try to watch a game they lose or if I check the score it's always a close game and they lose it. Crazy I know, and like I mentioned, logically I know that that's not what's happening, but if I avoid everything and watch a little later it seems to work out better. :rotfl2:

If I lived in LA, I'd be at all the games too so no worries, I completely get that. :tigger: But that's also probably a good thing b/c I am so increrdibly superstitious it's not even funny. I have my LSU Football shirt that I have to wear every game day, but about 15 min before kickoff I have to take it off. And for conference games, I completely avoid any channel that might have the scores and DVR the games. Then around 6:30 out here for 4:15 games, I'll start watching. I know logically that I have no influence over the games or the scores, but it always seems when I change it up and try to watch a game they lose or if I check the score it's always a close game and they lose it. Crazy I know, and like I mentioned, logically I know that that's not what's happening, but if I avoid everything and watch a little later it seems to work out better. :rotfl2:

It may seem strange, but I understand. The good news is you did not miss anything last week because of the weather. So, it looked like things worked out for you. Side note: Mike the Tiger went in his cage and made it out to the stadium. I think it had been almost 2 years since he has made it to the field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!