My Purchasing Experience, with pictures!

shannie102

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone!!
I have been looking into buying DVC since 2016, stalking the resale sites and boards, and finally did it. While I was doing a lot of research I did not see anyone post exactly their experience from beginning to end. Lots of little snippets and quick reviews, but I really like pictures and exact details. I always said “when I buy” I would, so here it is. I tried to scribble out the information I think is not allowed on the boards, like specific companies, and some of my more personal details, like last name, but wanted to show you everything else, like price and financing as those sometimes were my biggest questions. These are all screen shots from my emails as everything other than 1 phone call (to confirm my offer) was done via email. So, let’s go on a little 8 week journey with me…

6/21
My husband and I have a few trips planned for next year, 2020, and I started getting into the booking process. On 6/21 I decided I wanted to rent points at the poly from another Dis member and it was a fantastic experience. I have rented from other members before and it was great, how can you beat the price you pay them vs what you pay Disney? Anyways, after a very easy experience I got to thinking, what if we went to Disney more than once this year…..
6/25
I was reading something on the boards about season passes going up and how Sam’s club still had platinum passes for a much lower price. As we are already going for 6 days in May and I have a conference at Disney in October for 7 days it seemed like a no brainer that we should get a season pass and with the price still being in the 800’s it was cost effective.
This was a terrible financial idea! We went from 1 trip we have to pay for and 1 my work pays for to planning 7 trips between January 2020 and January 2021, 7!!! Of course I am super excited, but financially I realized we would be staying in value and moderates a lot and after some experience with deluxe accommodations that kinda put a damper on the plans. I was receiving an email through one of the re-sellers that was also offering transfer points and that seemed like a great idea. I love to rent, but there is always the fear that they could back out last minute or we get to Disney and I don’t have any control over the reservation. BUT, what if I had the points and I made the reservation….hummmm? Well, to do that I would need to be a DVC member, but financially if I could find a small contract to just get my foot in the door and then buy points off someone to use myself, well that would mean we could do these trips in a much more comfortable and affordable way.

6/27
On my lunch break I was looking at the different resale markets and found a contract I thought was awesome. It was at Vero Beach, never been but a nice alternative if we ever don’t want to go to WDW. It was 50 points with 1 left over from 2019, cool as we aren’t even going till 2020. It was $79 a point. For about $4k I could join DVC- WHAT?!? Yes, I know VB has the highest dues, but paying $500 a year for a vacation is fine by me. Yes, I have heard buy where you want to stay, but hello- look above, I wanted to transfer in points and just needed something to get my foot in the door. I called my coworker who is DVC and AP and we had a long discussion on risks, benefits, yays and nays. IM GONNA DO IT!!
I did it through the email feature to put in an offer, in hindsight I should have called as I could have lost this contract in the time it takes people to check emails. I then realized I would have to move some money around for the purchase price, and that’s where I had to make a choice- to have my husband know or not. I was going to make this his surprise birthday present (and a present for me too) so if I took $4k out of savings I would have to explain. This would also leave us with much less of a safety net and I wasn’t comfortable with that. Truth be told, we both have jobs that give bonuses end of year and typically we get much more then 4K at that time, but I had to buy now. So, I applied to a company for financing that said they would finance any amount, to any DVC purchase. I guess some have some restrictions for amount and only WDW properties. If you want the name you will have to PM me, but- spoiler alert- they were awesome!
About 45 minutes after I placed my email offer I received a call from the broker at this resale place and he just wanted to go over everything with me. He was super nice and answered any questions I had. We even corresponded after business hours and that made me feel really at ease with this process. He explained everything on the phone but told me he would email me a copy so I have it as a reference.

At 236pm received a confirmation of my application

At 604pm Scotty emailed me this-

6/28
The next day it was sent to the contract agent and she sent me this-
(might have to zoom in)
I filled this out quickly and sent it back. The seller had to change the spelling of her name over next few days but finally…

7/1

I wanted to keep in how much I financed and price so that those still reading this (good job!) have an idea. I am not worried about that APR as 1- I plan to pay it off in December and 2- even if we did pay it off over 2 years it was only $400 in financing fees. Also, god forbid we don’t get our bonuses this year, if I just don’t get Starbucks in the morning I can make this payment with that savings so hubby will never be the wiser till his birthday. Again, I know so many people on this board say “never finance!” but for me for right now it was worth it.

7/4
From the contract team:

I was surprised they would send this on the Holiday, but made my 4th of July a little more exciting!

7/8
Escrow email-

simple, sent back quickly, then resumed the process of obsessively checking my email...

7/19
The phone Ding-ed at 1055 am and since I had been checking my email like a crazy person I grabbed it and saw…..
YAYAYAYAYAYA! WE ARE DVC OWNERS…..well I am but he will find out soon enough….

Of course I went right over the the post with everyone's date of placing the offer and when ROFR received and updated my information :o

7/26
Received the closing documents….
Printed everything, signed it all, got a large envelope….and then went to the bank for a cashierrs check- OOPS! I should have gotten a money order but now our account has a “Cashierrs check for $705” notice. Hubby went to do the bills a few days later and asked, and I couldn’t contain my excitement/come up with a quick enough fib, so “Happy early birthday- we now own DVC!”. He was happy with it after I explained my plan, but im sad I couldn’t keep the secret longer!

7/31
1102 am
315 pm

8/1

8/12
I received a DVC email with a 1 time code to call in with but need club ID- now waiting for club ID to come in the mail. I did call to check and they said I just have to wait for the mail; they cannot give it to me over the phone. Now I feel like a kid waiting for the toys-r-us catalog before Christmas checking the mail 2x daily!

Last edited:
Awesome! Just a heads up, you may want to take down some of the photos and edit using software. Some of the personal information that is blacked out is still visible.

Thanks, mostly just to meet DIS boards guidelines, not advertise non sponsors, ect. But I'll edit that last one as that's the only one I am worried about :earseek:

Congratulation on becoming members :)
I'm sure you will have many wonderful holidays and build a mountain of memories
150x150.gif This will be very helpful for anyone considering buying into DVC :) I lost count of the times I got the collywobbles during our purchase and, like you we had a fabulous broker and title company who were equally as informative and speedy as yours; and not one problem.But if I'd been able to see the timeline of the procedure as you've posted it would have given me fewer sleepless nights lol.

8/12
I received a DVC email with a 1 time code to call in with but need club ID- now waiting for club ID to come in the mail. I did call to check and they said I just have to wait for the mail; they cannot give it to me over the phone. Now I feel like a kid waiting for the toys-r-us catalog before Christmas checking the mail 2x daily!

FWIW they can give you the number over the phone. I think you need to pick Member Accounting not member services and they can give you your membership number then you talk to membership services to get your club ID. Also the mail will have your membership number so you then call in with that to get club Id. At least that’s how it worked with me.

FWIW they can give you the number over the phone. I think you need to pick Member Accounting not member services and they can give you your membership number then you talk to membership services to get your club ID. Also the mail will have your membership number so you then call in with that to get club Id. At least that’s how it worked with me.

You will also need a one time activation code to get into your account.
Ours was in our Welcome email from Disney, but the code only worked for the first name on our contract, we are three equal owners and we each needed to call Member Services for our personal ID and code.

8/19 Took advise from above and called for my number to register my account. I needed the previous owners name and address and contract number, all of which were easily found in my closing documents, and in 5 min they gave me my number. Now im able to access everything online. yay!
8/20 received in the mail my number, whoops! guess i could have waited. :rolleyes:

8/19 Took advise from above and called for my number to register my account. I needed the previous owners name and address and contract number, all of which were easily found in my closing documents, and in 5 min they gave me my number. Now im able to access everything online. yay!
8/20 received in the mail my number, whoops! guess i could have waited. :rolleyes:
Congratulations welcome home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!