My sister who is joining us on our cruise in 3 months, LOST her husband of 40 yrs. BAD update

I am very sorry to read this sad news. You are very, very kind and your family is blessed to have you. Sending some hugs your way.
Indeed! Words are never enough for these circumstances! Especially with your update. All our DIS-thoughts of healing are with you, that's why I "liked" your post, not to actually like it. You all take care of each other and cherish the good memories that you can make.

Maybe book a special gift for the cruise... a massage or an excursion...
I like the "write a letter" idea, it is much more therapeutic than selfies and an Instagram Story. ;)

*internet hugs and a Mickey Bar*

I lost my father unexpectedly on March 31st (my birthday) this year. He was killed in a plane crash in California. When I got home to NY after the funeral and other things, I was completely numb and had zero motivation. I needed a "reset" button. So I booked my husband and I on a quick 3 night cruise (no kiddos) and I spent most of the time on the verandah or forward of the ship in the adult only areas gazing out at the ocean. It was therapeutic. It didn't take away the pain, but it removed the every day stressors to give my mind some time to process the pain while not having to take care of everyone around me. 5 months later, I can still feel the peace I felt on the ship.
My point being, while it may be too soon for some, we went on the cruise just shy of 2 months after my dad died. I know he wouldn't want me to mourn and be sad, but he would want me to take care of me and do whatever I could to help me process. So for me, it was perfect timing. My condolences to all of you and hopefully, if she does go on the cruise, it will be her "reset" button too.

I'm so very sorry. I read the news story before seeing your post. My sincere condolences to you hand your family. Wishing strength and healing for your nephew.

Thank you all. I am definitely going to buy a gift for her room, and possibly treat her and my niece to a spa session. I am so glad she decided to spend the extra money on a verandah. She will be able to just sit out there and look out at the ocean, and not have people asking her how she is doing, or wanting to give her a hug.

Oh my heavens! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We live right near Hanson -- if there is anything you and your family needs, don't hesitate to let me know. We're going on DCL next week, so let me know if there is anything we can bring back to help. I go on this cruise every few years to remember my mom, who passed from cancer.

Oh dear Lord.... I am just stunned.... I have no words to express how awful I felt reading that dreadfully sad news, Disney1fan. :sad1: Dear one, please know I will be praying for your family and for Patrick. Praying God grants peace somehow in the midst of it all. God bless.

This is one of the most heartbreaking stories I have ever heard. So sorry for you and your family.

There are no words. I will only say there are others who have been through something similar and yes, all grief is different in time & form.

I had decided to take my mom on a surprise WDW trip 6 months after we suddenly lost my dad (in 1997/1998). It was our first time staying on property. More importantly it was the first time neither of us had to worry about anything. Disney took care of everything so we could apply some "self care". This trip started our addiction to returning (her to the resorts at the holidays & me in discovering the same on DCL). It's this sense of "getting away" and having no worries that keeps us both coming back. I hope others have experienced the same.

Thank you all. I am definitely going to buy a gift for her room, and possibly treat her and my niece to a spa session. I am so glad she decided to spend the extra money on a verandah. She will be able to just sit out there and look out at the ocean, and not have people asking her how she is doing, or wanting to give her a hug.
Solitude can be a healthy response. While there are tragedies abound, and it seems your family has seen many tough ones in short time, the willingness to recharge mental health is a good one. Cruise or not. I hope that comfort canfind all quickly.

Oh my goodness, I read your thread in the beginning and didn't see the updates until now. I live in MA and heard about the plane crash but didn't know this was your family. I am soo, soo sorry for all you have gone through and your losses. Assuming you are back in Virginia now, please do let us know if there is anything your family up here needs. I will be sure to watch for updates but please message me if there is absolutely anything you need or anyway we can help!

I'm so sorry for all your family's trouble and losses... I can't even imagine what she is going through.

Oh my goodness, I read your thread in the beginning and didn't see the updates until now. I live in MA and heard about the plane crash but didn't know this was your family. I am soo, soo sorry for all you have gone through and your losses. Assuming you are back in Virginia now, please do let us know if there is anything your family up here needs. I will be sure to watch for updates but please message me if there is absolutely anything you need or anyway we can help!
The plane crash was my dad, not OP's family. I was replying to OP about losing a loved one and sailing. My dad was the crash in Santa Paula on March 31st this year.

The plane crash was my dad, not OP's family. I was replying to OP about losing a loved one and sailing. My dad was the crash in Santa Paula on March 31st this year.
Sorry, I think I confused you. In the OP update she says her nephews went to spread their dad's ashes over his home and where he grew up and their plane crashed killing one of the boys and paralyzing the other. I heard about the crash on the news because I am not far from where it happened but I had no idea it was the family of the OP (whose thread I had read previously but not followed up on). Sorry for the confusion and I am sorry for your loss as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!