My (very belated) Trip Report LA,USO, IoA, WDW

We probably spent the least amount of time at Epcot. I don't really know why, just turned out that way. We did like the park and for our next trip are staying in Epcot area so I expect we will see alot more of it.

We were there when it was Food and Wine Festive. This was great(and very busy), we got to try lots of snacks from the different countries. Australia had lamb chops with mint pesto and potato chips(crisps) on top.

DS loved doing the Agent P World Showcase Adventure so anyone with kids who like Phineas and Ferb or just a bit of a scavenger hunt type games will love it.
DSC01421_zps83830d92.jpg

The World Showcase pavilions reminded me alot of World Expo 88 in Brisbane which I went to alot as a late teenager. One in particular that reminded me was the Mexico pavilion.

DSC00884_zpsfc89efd9.jpg

Epcot was the venue for one of our best meals which I mentioned earlier in my report, The Garden Grill. It was character dining with Farmer Mickey, Chip & Dale and others and teh restaurant is receiving around the Living on the Land attraction. The food & service was just fantastic and we all had a great night.

We had a bit of time to kill before our dinner ADR so we were wandering around and came across a character meet area. We walked in, no one waiting whatsoever and got to see Mickey, Minnie and Goofy all one after another with no line at all which was a bonus!

As far as rides go, well Test Track was a clear winner for me and DS. We only went on it twice but will be making amends for that next trip. Fastpass+ for both times as waits were as you would expect length.

Soarin', which for those that dont know, is a hang glider simulator that "flies" over various areas of California, was great also, though it is exactly the same as it was when we did it in DL, even down to the precheck video. I thought they might have at least changed that. Now I think about it it may have been DL that copied from WDW I don't know, but the same goes some differences might be nice.

Mission: SPACE simulates a rocket take off and then a slingshot turn around the moon to head to Mars, and a semi turbulent landing. There are two different intensity's for the ride that you can choose, Green and Orange with the Green being less intense where the centrifuge does not spin. I did both, Green first, and Orange you definitely feel more sensations and pressure quite noticeably, but for anyone who does roll-a-coasters (which I generally don't) I'm sure it would be a walk in the (Epcot) park.

We skipped Captain EO. We did it and DL in 2010 and it didn't really do anything for me so didn't bother with it.

One really dated attraction for me was Universe of Energy: Ellen's Energy Adventure is a show about energy and how people generate and harvest it. The show is named for its star, Ellen DeGeneres. When you see it you see a very young Ellen (from 1996 I think). An update to this I think is well overdue.

On our first day at epcot it was quite a really warm day (high 20's) and we were there from mid morning and we were staying for our 6:30 ADR. At about 5:00 it got really cool, so much so that we had to buy DS & DW warm jackets.

now some more pictures.....

DSC01408_zps1993df0b.jpg

DSC00870_zpsa2fe3a1d.jpg

DSC00869_zps9b1ef62f.jpg

DSC01418_zps82f7dc68.jpg

DSC01410_zpsd8e52dcb.jpg

DSC01413_zps67cbaef7.jpg

Here are some final photos which I really liked from WDW that I don't think I've posted before.

Grand Floridian. I'd really like to stay there one time.
DSC01230_zps14e06924.jpg

DSC00844_zps6abc76b1.jpg

DSC00846_zps18cd79e4.jpg

DSC00847_zpsab9ce275.jpg

DSC00849_zpsf9047b68.jpg

DSC00850_zps5bcb8d74.jpg

So ended out First WDW experience. One thing I knew for sure, it wasn't going to be our last one. We could have easily stayed another week. Here are some of our top rides, shows meals etc.

Favourite Ride

DS
MK: Aladdin's Magic Carpets
HS: Toy Story Midway Mania & Star Tours
EP: Test Track
AK : Kali River Rapids

DW
Kilimanjaro Safari

Me
MK: Buzz Lightyearís Space Ranger Spin
HS: Star Tours
EP: Test Track
AK : Kilimanjaro Safari

Best Meal

DS
HS: Sci-Fi Dinner
EP: Garden Grill
AK: Waffles for Breakfast
Chef Mickey's Contemporary Resort

DW
HS: Sci Fi Dinner
AK: Waffles
Overall : Breakfast at Grand Floridian

Me
HS: Sci-Fi Dinner
EP: Garden Grill
1900 Park Fare
Chef Mickey's Contemporary Resort

Best Character Experience

DS
HS: Phineas & Ferb
EP: Farmer Mickey & Chip & Dale
AK: Donald

DW
Halloween Party Night

Me
Halloween Party Night
1900 Park Fare
Baloo & King Louis

Best Show

DS
MK:Mickey's PhilharMagic
HS:Stunt SHow
AK: Lion King
Overall Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

DW
Christmas Parade
Osbourne Christmas Lights
Lion King Show

Me
Halloween Parade
Christmas Parade
Mickey's Jamin' Jungle Christmas Parade
Osbourne Christmas Lights
Hoop Dee Doo

Biggest Annoyance/Disapointment

DS
The ìHoney I shrunk the kids movie playsetî was closed
Living with the land thing

DW
On Halloween Party night and Christmas Party night it was hard to find somewhere to eat in the park.
The Eco ride which Ellen De Generes narrates is a little dated. That whole area could be updated

Me
The issues we had with our Tickets and Magic Bands. Took a few days to resolve but in end they did but wasn’t a nice start when we couldn’t all go into the park
Getting a lounge chair at the pool. I know this happens everywhere, but I thought Disney may have found a way to make this fairer for all.

Thing I miss the most....

DS
Castle on entrance- gives me that WOW I’M IN DISNEY WORLD feeling.

Me
That Disney feeling

Favourite Memory

DS
HS:Toy Story Midway Mania
AK: Wilderness Explorer
EP: Agent P World Showcase Adventure
MK: Halloween Party

DW
MK:Night Time Parades
HS: Osbourne Christmas Lights
AK: Whole Park - My Favourite park

Me
MK: Parades & Parties esp Halloween
AK: The Safari
HS: Christmas Lights
greatest family trip together

Was great but…I Just wish that…..

DS
The 7 Dwarf Mine ride was completed

DW
The bus trip to AK wasn’t so long
The Bus fromWilderness Lodge didn’t have to go to Grand Floridian on the way to the parks

Me
The Christmas Party wasn’t so crowded
We didn’t have to leave!

DSC01588_zpsb0fa7dc0.jpg

So our time WDW was at an end. We caught the MDE to MCO for our flights on AA (in First!) back to LAX for a few more days R&R.

We travelled from MCO to LAX with American Airlines. I was able to score a good deal on First class seats. Its really Business class rather than First, but it was certainly nice and the breakfast we had was the best Airline meal I have ever had in my life. the seating was 2 x 2 so not ideal for three travellers, but DS &DW shared one row and I was on aisle of the across. My window seat companion nodded off shortly after take off and didn’t surface till we were about to land so it good situation.

We had a transfer waiting for us at LAX to take us back to our now familiar preferred LA hotel of the Loews at Hollywood and Highland. We had a few things planned for our 4 days in LA. We were doing a VIP Warner Brothers Studio Tour. We wanted to go to Griffith Observatory and one special thing we were able to arrange for DS was we were going to a TV show taping of one of his favourite Disney TV Shows . I had done a bit of research and found a website which gave away the tickets for free on a first come first served basis. You can book them online and you print at home so you don’t have to pick up anything when you get there. the tickets are released at 8:am Central time I think 30 days before the taping. I had to calculate what time that coincided to be back home, which it was something like 2am one morning. I set my alarm and was on trying to get tickets. For this show you have to book individual tickets. some you got doubles. So I had to go through the reservation process three times. You could tell that many people were doing the same as the server was really slow, timed out a few times but I persevered. It payed off I scored three tickets for us to the taping. I knew DS would be very happy and he was. Sure enough when I checked the site at 6am when I woke to go to to work the ticket allocation were exhausted. I did think twice about getting up at 2am, so was very glad I did.

one day we caught a bus to The Grove which was about 15mins out from where we were staying. Had an interesting experience with an older lady who was giving these Uni students some stick for bumping her accidentally. the Grove is a shopping centre/Mall, but the main reason we were going there was to go the “The Cheesecake Factory” We had a great meal there , we ordered two small pasta dishes and they were massive. But we made sure we kept room for dessert.
The place was decorated for Christmas. They have a tram which you can ride which goes from one end to the other. its like 10min ride, but fun all the same.

DSC01602_zpsf477b458.jpg

DSC01595_zps3e353a71.jpg

DSC01601_zps1abecf3d.jpg

DSC01605_zps5793ecc4.jpg

DSC01608_zps5e1aae24.jpg

We wanted to go to Griffith Observatory. We asked the concierge for some detail.I’m not sure if he heard us properly or if he was just off with the fairies, but he told us there was a small zoo there. we said at the Observatory and he said yes. we scratched our heads as we had never heard of it. We couldn’t get a bus as they weren't running during the week. So we caught a cab. We asked the driver if we would easily be able to get one back and he said that not many come up here and that mobile reception was problematic. We arranged for him to come back in 1.5 hours to pic us up again. We got his number also. the observatory was really good. firstly the views are spectacular. Inside there are exhibits much like you would expect at a Planetarium but we found it really interesting. We felt we rushed through a little because we wanted to make sure that we would be ready for out pick up.

DSC01841_zps1ec53efc.jpg

DSC01840_zps8385a3f8.jpg

DSC01842_zps734a01b8.jpg

DSC01843_zps3fcbf57b.jpg

DSC01846_zps3d6e477c.jpg

DSC01848_zps6eb64e10.jpg

DSC01850_zpsa24c471c.jpg

DSC01852_zpsb745e3b7.jpg

DSC01854_zps47ffa971.jpg

DSC01856_zpse4c935e9.jpg

DSC01857_zpsb9973556.jpg

Catching up!

Great pictures. Looks like you all have similar and different likes at WDW.
Love the view from Griffith's Obs. :thumbsup2

Catching up!

Great pictures. Looks like you all have similar and different likes at WDW.
Love the view from Griffith's Obs. :thumbsup2

thanks PIO. You're right we all had similar but different likes, though DS and I were massive fans of Test Track, Toys Story Midway Mania, Star Tours and Kali River Rapids. Can't wait till December to do all those again and again and again!

We really didn't do Griffith's Observatory justice and we will definitely go back the next time we have a couple of days in LA. Aside from the views, which as you say are spectacular, I am a Rebel Without a Cause fan so that was some nice fan nostalgia right there also.

Also catching up. Where to start. I agree I LOVE Christmas in WDW and the parade and will definitely do it again one day. I also really like AK and was just marginally disappointed with all the construction this latest trip. We do love animals and I like that it is so different to the other lands and the theming is so great and we all love Nemo and FOTLK shows and Kilimanjaro and Kali. Can't wait for whatever they do with Avatar. That being said MK and Epcot are just behind in my list except at Epcot its always been so hot and we always get so tired there-solution break it down into more visits next time. You got some great pics, the animals especially.

We did a day tour back in 1984!!! to Griffith Observatory but I don't know if they still do tours that include this. I would like to go now its changed so much but yes getting there without a car is difficult. That tour included later dinner in a Mexican place in Olivera St. and with the same company we had such a good tour we did another that took us to San Juan Capistrano and Newport and Venice Beaches etc. That's going back a LONG time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter