Natalie Holloway new info

I didn't realize there was a mini-series show about this. I thought they found remains recently and they are awaiting the results and on Sat there would be some kind of announcement about whether or not they are Natalee's.

So, they have already identified the remains that were found? If yes, and it hasn't been in the news I doubt they are hers. I don't think this could be kept a secret. Someone would want to leak this and the press would eat it up to be the first to report it.

If you are the one who'd be paying for the trip, saying no would go a long way in stopping her. Now, if she worked and paid for the trip, that's a different story, but that was not the case with Natalee. BTW, I think that working and saving, and paying for the trip yourself shows a bigger level of maturity and responsability

I'm just saying that if I had children, I would NOT pay for such a trip

You're not a parent? Oh boy. Before I was a parent, I had a whole list of things I would/would not do "if I had children." Life has a way of slapping you upside the head when you say stuff like this. :-)

I didn't realize there was a mini-series show about this. I thought they found remains recently and they are awaiting the results and on Sat there would be some kind of announcement about whether or not they are Natalee's.

So, they have already identified the remains that were found? If yes, and it hasn't been in the news I doubt they are hers. I don't think this could be kept a secret. Someone would want to leak this and the press would eat it up to be the first to report it.
My take on it was that they were looking at the DNA results from the body they dug up in the park and it was going to take a while. I sincerely hope they didn't stoop that low to make a big deal about this when it was nothing, in the name of ratings or whatever. I'd hope that the family, perhaps, was bound by some legal agreement between themselves and the producers of the show, but that wouldn't explain why the police have been quiet. Bottom line, I hope this has been on the up-and-up, but I have my doubts. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Geraldo and Capone's Vaults, i.e. a bust, and waste of everyone's time. I don't know if the "roommate" story is true, we can only go by what we're reading for now. I won't be able to watch the Oxygen show till tomorrow, if anyone who's watched it can tell us whether they think it's worth watching or not, that would be appreciated.

wenrob said:
As to not courting trouble hindsight is 20/20. I was the same type of level headed kid my DD is and I still made some pretty questionable choices back in the day I'm just lucky enough to be able to tell the tale. There are people out there that play by all the rules and still pay with their life. Just last week a girl my DD went to school with was murdered by a guy she dated for three months and had moved on from several months ago. This girl was doing everything right in life, had a good job, her own place, getting ready to go back to school, just an all around good kid making good choices and this guy caught her in the parking lot and strangled her as she was getting into her car. One hundred plus other kids on that trip were all taking risks and doing stupid things yet they made it home as did the kids on trips before them. Natalee is not the first girl to leave a party with a cute guy against her better judgment and she certainly won't be the last.
This just took the wind out of my sails when I read it. :sad1:

I read that her dad and an investigator got info from some friend of Joran's on where her body was buried. They went and dug and found remains without LE help. So LE in Aruba is saying they have no such remains. Read on websleuths.

From the story that is circulating around this week (and I've read many as well as done some of my own research into the people involved, so I can't cite just one that holds all this information), Van der Sloot bought her a drink at a bar. The bartender was purportedly in cahoots with him as he told the bartender to "give it a good one" (or something to that effect), apparently meaning to put the date rape drug in her drink. Not sure if he doubled the dose or what but it was said that within a short time, she was "foaming at the mouth", Van der Sloot "panicked and didn't put her on her side" and she "choked on her own vomit" (or my guess would be an overdose of the drug could've killed her if she was foaming at the mouth, which indicates lack of breathing, as opposed to vomiting - an autopsy, if her body IS ever found, would hopefully clear that up). He supposedly then called his father, a judge who has since died, who helped him bury her body in a nearby park - the park in which they recently found a body and on which they are waiting for DNA testing results, expecte soon.

I guess my questions are, if this turns out to be true, what did she do wrong? She was celebrating her graduation, on a long awaited vacation on "One Happy Island", of drinking age, having a drink in a local, open bar, with a handsome young man. Should she have stayed every moment with her chaperones or friends? Who does that? (And doesn't this sort of thing, and much worse, go on regularly with the "hook up" culture of today?) The blaming should go on the people who did this to her - namely the bartender (who I hope will be charged if this turns out to be true) and Van der Sloot (who directed it). Additionally, any who knew what happened or took part in covering up the crime. Maybe they will give the roommate (of the best friend of Van der Sloot) immunity for coming forward and testifying, even if it's been a while.

As far as the media circus goes, well, its a double edged sword: that's who's kept Natalee's name out there for so long, I suppose. And the family must've agreed to whatever show is on this weekend where the "reveal" will supposedly occur. It does seem like the timing is a little strange, but then again, I've never been in their situation. I imagine if I was, I'd do just about anything to get answers, too.

What a tragic story :( I've always thought the dad was involved with disposing the body.

I agree with you-she didn't do anything wrong. She and her school acted no different than any other kids on a trip like this. She was just someone who ended up in an unlucky situation-she could have been anyone's daughter. When I was 21, my girlfriends and I drove to Florida during Spring Break. We went to Daytona Beach for 4 days and then Disney for 3 days. While in Daytona, we met a group of guys while we were out at the bars. We hung out with them all night-got drunk, smoked some pot, hung out in their hotel room. I kissed one of the boys, and we ended up keeping in touch for the next few years. My story could have easily gone differently. The guys we met could have ended up to be thieves, rapists, murderers. The boy I kissed could have easily been less of a gentleman. We were just being 21.Natalie was just being 18.

I'd like to think I wouldn't have let my daughter go on such a trip but the truth is she's a pretty level headed kid and at some point I have (had) to let her go out into the world to make her own choices. At 18+ there really wasn't a whole lot that they really could say or do to stop her.

As to not courting trouble hindsight is 20/20. I was the same type of level headed kid my DD is and I still made some pretty questionable choices back in the day I'm just lucky enough to be able to tell the tale. There are people out there that play by all the rules and still pay with their life. Just last week a girl my DD went to school with was murdered by a guy she dated for three months and had moved on from several months ago. This girl was doing everything right in life, had a good job, her own place, getting ready to go back to school, just an all around good kid making good choices and this guy caught her in the parking lot and strangled her as she was getting into her car. One hundred plus other kids on that trip were all taking risks and doing stupid things yet they made it home as did the kids on trips before them. Natalee is not the first girl to leave a party with a cute guy against her better judgment and she certainly won't be the last.
Sometimes there is nothing that can be done when there are evil people looking to cause harm. I have told the story here on DIS before so I won't repeat the details but my daughters were both drugged one night. They were with three friends and were looking out for each other. They are very level headed young women but bad things can happen to anyone. We never found out who drugged them or all of the details of that night. I am just eternally grateful that we got them back alive.

Yeah, most of us did some stupid things when we were 18, and most of us weren't "punished" for those stupid moments -- and we are able to shake our heads and laugh at how lucky we were. However, I know people who took foolish risks and ended up robbed, raped, in car wrecks, a few who even ended up dead. I bet you know a few too, and we aren't better or smarter than those people -- we were just more lucky. Unfortunately, SOMETIMES the punishment for a moment of stupidity is quite high.

In the case of this poor child, a lot of people made stupid mistakes: Her parents allowed her to go on an under-chaperoned trip, her chaperones didn't supervise well, her friends allowed her to go with a stranger. If any one of these people had "stepped up" and objected, we might never have heard her name.

I just watched the first episode on Oxygen app. WOW. I hope this is finally it. It has to be if they went forward with publishing the show

You're not a parent? Oh boy. Before I was a parent, I had a whole list of things I would/would not do "if I had children." Life has a way of slapping you upside the head when you say stuff like this. :-)

I knew this was coming. People have all kinds of opinions on subjects in which they have no experience, but man, how non-parents DARE to give an opinion regarding children! They just should shut their mouth about it :rolleyes: OK. Got it :thumbsup2

I knew this was coming. People have all kinds of opinions on subjects in which they have no experience, but man, how non-parents DARE to give an opinion regarding children! They just should shut their mouth about it :rolleyes: OK. Got it :thumbsup2

You know what? Yup. If you don't have children, you have no idea. None. People who have no experience can definitely have an opinion, but if I offered you my medical opinion (I am NOT a doctor), it would be next to worthless. So is your opinion about what you would or would not have done in this situation with your hypothetical child. You certainly can have an opinion, but it isn't worth much to me or any other parent who ACTUALLY has to make decisions about what to do with their ACTUAL children. Ever read a parenting book by a non-parent? Nope. Didn't think so. I wonder why that would be. Oh, that's right....because they have NO experience.

And, I was as arrogant as you were before I had my kids. I *thought* I knew what I would do if x or y situation arose, and I knew nothing. I'm able to admit that now. If you ever have children, you'll see what I mean. It's real easy to lob your opinions in from the sidelines. Real hard to actually parent children, who are living, breathing beings with (gasp) opinions of their own, especially when they are legal adults.

You know what? Yup. If you don't have children, you have no idea. None. People who have no experience can definitely have an opinion, but if I offered you my medical opinion (I am NOT a doctor), it would be next to worthless. So is your opinion about what you would or would not have done in this situation with your hypothetical child. You certainly can have an opinion, but it isn't worth much to me or any other parent who ACTUALLY has to make decisions about what to do with their ACTUAL children. Ever read a parenting book by a non-parent? Nope. Didn't think so. I wonder why that would be. Oh, that's right....because they have NO experience.

And, I was as arrogant as you were before I had my kids. I *thought* I knew what I would do if x or y situation arose, and I knew nothing. I'm able to admit that now. If you ever have children, you'll see what I mean. It's real easy to lob your opinions in from the sidelines. Real hard to actually parent children, who are living, breathing beings with (gasp) opinions of their own, especially when they are legal adults.

I'm arrogant? That's rich! :rotfl:

I understand your perspective, but it really is true that your perspective on a LOT really shifts when you become a parent. You really cannot say what you would "never" do with any accuracy because becoming a parent changes SO much of the way you think about things. Before you become a parent, you really cannot comprehend what you will even be facing as a parent, much less how you will react to that. Those who believe they have it all together, have all the answers, and know exactly what is coming are the ones in for the rudest awakening. I was one of them, so I speak from experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!