Navigator's Verandah or Oceanview Stateroom?

ZerasPride

DVC Member Since 2001
Hi everyone! I have my quote from Dreams for a cat. 7 and I was wondering if those with experience would recommend a navigator's verandah or should we just go with an oceanview. We've never cruised before and this is probably a silly question but I would love to hear opinions. I've been to Barb's site and seen the pictures for the cat. 7 verandah and it looks nice. Of course cat. 7 costs a bit more than staterooms in categories 8 and 9 but if its worth it then the price difference won't matter to me. Thanks in advance for any comments you care to share!

Hi Lisa! I'm sure you will get a huge variety of responses to this questions. Here's my two cents on the whole verandah vs no verandah issue.

If you have young kids (like nap age or early bedtime age) then I would say definately go for the verandah. We cruised with a 3 yo and a 5 yo. They stayed up later than their normal bedtime but still would go to bed earlier than I was ready. Some of my best memories of our cruise are of the evenings I would spend sitting on the verandah with a big, cold drink while the kids slept in the room. My dh would go to the ESPN sports zone or to a late night movie. It was absolutely heavenly and I would never attempt a cruise with small children without it.

On the other hand, our neighbors are thinking about cruising with us next September. They have one child who is 9 years old. I would recommend to them that they NOT get a verandah. I think it's about a $200 difference and if I were them I'd take that $200 and use it to splurge on a really cool excursion or something. They aren't sedentary people and this cruise really is a once in a lifetime thing for them so I can't imagine them missing ANY event or opportunity on the boat. That's just not their style.

Again - my style is to sit on my bum and stare at the ocean for hours at a time so a verandah is well worth the extra money for me! Our kids are too young for most of the excursions so until they're old enough to go snorkeling or kayaking with us then I'm spending the extra money on a verandah!\

Cool thing is you can't go wrong - YOU'RE GOING ON A DISNEY CRUISE!!!! Let us know what you decide to do!

We had a catagory 7 (Navigator's Verrandah) when we cruised for the first time in October. We booked another one for our next cruise. We got it originally because I wasn't sure if I would get sea sick or not and thought if I could look outside while in our room, that would help. I didn't get sea sick, but we used the verrandah a lot. On the way down we watched the sunrises from our room, had coffee and pastries out there (early risers), on the way back we watched the sunsets with a glass of wine. Yes there's a lot to do on the ship, but we found we still spent time out on our verrandah. I recommend catagory 7 because it's cheaper than cat 5 or 6, you're outside and it's not very windy. We got a nice gentle breeze out there. Everytime we went up to deck 10 I felt we could get blown away. Hope this helps! Tracy

The Navigators Veranda is our fav cabin. We've had a Cat 6 w/ the other veranda and then tried the Cat 7 on the next cruise. We are going on the Magic 1/18 w/ our 8 yr old grandson and will have a Nav Veranda then. It's just perfect... not too windy, very comfy w/ a padded bench ( I can sit w/ my legs stretched out on it ) and a table and a chair. I feel there's more privacy than the Cat 6. Also I like to be at the back of the ship. Great access to outdoor buffets and drink station. And then there's the secret getaway at deck 7's stern ( that is the back ?? ). Happy sailing to everyone !!;)

I really appreciate the opinions. I sort of had my heart (and mind) set on the cat. 7 so I appreciate knowing that it is worth it. Thanks again!

We have a Navigators veranda on our 4 day cruise last May and loved it. We have one booked for our 7 day cruise next May. We have no kids, but I am more of an early riser than DH and I spend a lot of time out there.

We are going on the 4 day DVC member cruise and booked an oceanview for that one because we were short on points.

For me, whenever I can afford a veranda I'll do it!

Can someone tell me the difference between a Navigator's verandah and a regular verandah? It isn't obvious to me looking at some of the stateroom pictures.

Did you look at the photos on my site? Notice that the navs. are enclosed, with a large porthole-like opening. This is in comparison to the other verandahs, which are open like a regular balcony. Also, the furniture on the nav. verandahs is fixed in place.
We have only been in a nav. verandah once, but I loved it! It is very cozy, and they are located aft, which is a great part of the ship. If you want the traditional type of verandah, book one of the reclassified 6 or 5's that are now cat. 7's due to minor obstruction. I have photos of those too...you would have to request those by room number.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter