NBA Experience details

My first thought is it looks really similar to the one that closed in Universal. Maybe I just don't remember that one very well. I just don't see this working at all, but maybe it's just me.

I've yet to hear any interest about this from anyone I know, CM's or just regular Disney fans.

But I mean, here's hoping it succeeds?

what I know of the audience for the NBA, there is no way this becomes a winner.
I agree with all but this. I think Disney doesn't have a lot to target the NBA fan base currently and this could be it. I work at an NBA stadium.

I think they are targeting the young male/teen. This definitely isn't for the general Disney fan.

I mean, I get that and good on Disney for trying to reach out and offer something for that demographic. I just think this is going to fall flat on it's face for Disney, in terms of actual demand.

I mean, I get that and good on Disney for trying to reach out and offer something for that demographic. I just think this is going to fall flat on it's face for Disney, in terms of actual demand.
I would love a good general sports bar/grill like the NBA Sports one at City Walk.

I agree with all but this. I think Disney doesn't have a lot to target the NBA fan base currently and this could be it. I work at an NBA stadium.

Maybe. But NBA ratings aren't anything to write home about (they have dropped quite a lot since the mid 90s), and this is a REALLY LARGE place to need to fill.

My son is a basketball fan, so we will definitely visit at least once. I think it looks potentially way better than Universal's NBA City. It was really just an NBA-themed restaurant, a lame gift shop, and a three-point shooting carnival-type game outside. I say the gift shop was lame because it seemed like the merchandise was either high-end or trinkets. There was no good mid-level $25-50 stuff to buy. This one looks like it will be better, but still potentially a one-and-done (pun intended).

I would love a good general sports bar/grill like the NBA Sports one at City Walk.

See with a place this size, that would make sense to me. I'm a die hard hockey fan (I know, we are a minority). I would go to a giant sports bar for a game. I won't go to a NBA bar for one.

Poor ESPN club...

Ugh, I had 2 bad experiences there. Gave it one more try for just some beers and had my worst experience. I used to really like that place 15 years ago too.

Ugh, I had 2 bad experiences there. Gave it one more try for just some beers and had my worst experience. I used to really like that place 15 years ago too.

Last time I ate there was in 2015, and I mean it wasn't -terrible-. Probably akin to an Applebees in terms of quality?

But yeah, NBA has a pretty low bar to become the best sports/dining venue on property.

As a huge NBA fan and huge Disney fan, this might be the perfect intersection of my primary interests -- and I know I'm not the only person in the intersection of that Venn Diagram. In fact, I know two big (literally) Disney fans who'll probably be very excited about this.

Maybe. But NBA ratings aren't anything to write home about (they have dropped quite a lot since the mid 90s), and this is a REALLY LARGE place to need to fill.
I agree with that but I think the NBA is still pretty popular.

I don't think any of us dispute it is popular. The question is whether there are enough fans to fill that enormous space day after day. You need people willing to pay for whatever carnival games they put in there, plus food, plus gift shop. It's a lot to ask. I'll be interested to see if it becomes a kind of hang out for one side while significant others go shopping. And even if it did, wouldn't a really nice sports bar have done that trick cheaper and using less space?

I don't know. I just don't see how this succeeds in that space.

I don't think any of us dispute it is popular. The question is whether there are enough fans to fill that enormous space day after day. You need people willing to pay for whatever carnival games they put in there, plus food, plus gift shop. It's a lot to ask. I'll be interested to see if it becomes a kind of hang out for one side while significant others go shopping. And even if it did, wouldn't a really nice sports bar have done that trick cheaper and using less space?

I don't know. I just don't see how this succeeds in that space.
I think it will be a bit more than carnival games. It sounds like they’ll have more experiences maybe like some sort of simulator type thing or something. I would’ve liked a general good sports bar and grill but I’ll still check this out too.

True, but you are talking about 100,000 square feet if it stays the same size as Disney Quest. Pretty popular isn't going to cut it for something that large. Question is going to become will a casual fan (People who tune in like when the Cavs won their first) go time and time again. It's a risk in my eyes. I have been to DS many times where I have walked into an empty bar at Splittsville (which was really the only place with a lot of TVs for games). I do think it was a lost opportunity to move ESPN there and expand and compete with NBC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!