NCL Escape

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
Just booked this for another trip to Bermuda next year. We did Bermuda on the Breakaway last year. And while this is a Breakaway class ship, the size is intimidating (20 decks!).

Anyone sailed on the Escape? Thoughts/reviews/opinions would be most welcome.

Try Cruise Critic, lots of reviews there, and message boards.

We were on the Escape this May. It was fantastic! It is a gorgeous ship- our previous year we were on Celebrity Equinox and Escape is bigger but not one of the super huge ships. We enjoyed our cruise on the Escape- good food, great staff and lots to fit. My hubby and sons did the ropes course- I didn’t! They really liked. Two water slides which are great fun- be warned in tube slide NO JEWELRY OR HAIR CLIPS,etc. That includes wedding rings no exceptions.

They have an Escape room where you sign up and solve puzzles to win. That was fun. There is a show with John Hughes movie song which is great!

Any questions ask— I second cruise Critic also.

We were on the Escape this May. It was fantastic! It is a gorgeous ship- our previous year we were on Celebrity Equinox and Escape is bigger but not one of the super huge ships. We enjoyed our cruise on the Escape- good food, great staff and lots to fit. My hubby and sons did the ropes course- I didn’t! They really liked. Two water slides which are great fun- be warned in tube slide NO JEWELRY OR HAIR CLIPS,etc. That includes wedding rings no exceptions.

They have an Escape room where you sign up and solve puzzles to win. That was fun. There is a show with John Hughes movie song which is great!

Any questions ask— I second cruise Critic also.

Where was your stateroom? Did you do any specialty restaurants? Was there congestion getting off the ship in the mornings? And what was your itinerary?

Where was your stateroom? Did you do any specialty restaurants? Was there congestion getting off the ship in the mornings? And what was your itinerary?

St Thomas, Tortola and Bahamas
We received the specialty dining package and ate at Teppinayaki, Carney’s and Moderno
Carney’s was my favorite although all were good
We did the 3rd and 4th sale free promo and for that reason only did a Haven aft penthouse. Our cabin was 9918 a corner aft one deck 9
We had no elevator issues
There was no issues getting on or off the ship at ports
You will hear pool area is small- we just did slides and things and never had issue finding spot to put our stuff

St Thomas, Tortola and Bahamas
We received the specialty dining package and ate at Teppinayaki, Carney’s and Moderno
Carney’s was my favorite although all were good
We did the 3rd and 4th sale free promo and for that reason only did a Haven aft penthouse. Our cabin was 9918 a corner aft one deck 9
We had no elevator issues
There was no issues getting on or off the ship at ports
You will hear pool area is small- we just did slides and things and never had issue finding spot to put our stuff

Thanks so much for the info. Cagney is our number one choice for our dining package. Wonder if you can do the same restaurant twice?

We got the free specialty dining package. So any of the specialty restaurants you particularly recommend?

We got the free specialty dining package. So any of the specialty restaurants you particularly recommend?

Carney’s was great
Moderno was good my sons and hubby really liked. I enjoyed but got full fast!
Teppanyaki was good too- we had great people and chef at our table. Food was good

I don’t know anything else about the other specialty ones.

O’Sheehans is a complimentary one but has really good food- nachos wings burgers etc. We had lunch there twice and breakfast once. It can get crowded.

Carney’s was great
Moderno was good my sons and hubby really liked. I enjoyed but got full fast!
Teppanyaki was good too- we had great people and chef at our table. Food was good

I don’t know anything else about the other specialty ones.

O’Sheehans is a complimentary one but has really good food- nachos wings burgers etc. We had lunch there twice and breakfast once. It can get crowded.

We discovered O'Sheehan's on the Breakaway last year and especially enjoyed it for breakfasts. What I didn't like was the set up on that ship (and it may also be on the Escape) of the extreme noise in the guest services area for game shows and everything else -- not only making it impossible to speak to guest services or the internet help, but the sound carried into O'Sheehan's and it was impossible to have any dinner conversation. We finally started asking for tables in the very back around the corner, which cut most of the noise.

Thanks for the restaurant tips. Cagney's is our first choice, and we love the Moderno style eating. Just can't decide between the Japanese, French or Italian for our third.

sailed many many times on Escape... How may I help ?

See above -- is Escape designed like the Breakaway with the noisy atrium?

What room have you had -- we are in 12290 and were wondering if that is a good location. I'd love to have one of the "enclosed" verandah rooms as they are much cheaper, but have seen many pictures with many variations of them - some of them look like the Navigator's Verandahs on Disney with small open portholes, others look like they are just framed in but open to the floor (like the "Secret" verandahs on Disney). Have you ever stayed in one of those?

And any other tips you can give about where to go, what not to miss, dining and the shows. Thanks.

We discovered O'Sheehan's on the Breakaway last year and especially enjoyed it for breakfasts. What I didn't like was the set up on that ship (and it may also be on the Escape) of the extreme noise in the guest services area for game shows and everything else -- not only making it impossible to speak to guest services or the internet help, but the sound carried into O'Sheehan's and it was impossible to have any dinner conversation. We finally started asking for tables in the very back around the corner, which cut most of the noise.

Thanks for the restaurant tips. Cagney's is our first choice, and we love the Moderno style eating. Just can't decide between the Japanese, French or Italian for our third.

See above -- is Escape designed like the Breakaway with the noisy atrium?

What room have you had -- we are in 12290 and were wondering if that is a good location. I'd love to have one of the "enclosed" verandah rooms as they are much cheaper, but have seen many pictures with many variations of them - some of them look like the Navigator's Verandahs on Disney with small open portholes, others look like they are just framed in but open to the floor (like the "Secret" verandahs on Disney). Have you ever stayed in one of those?

And any other tips you can give about where to go, what not to miss, dining and the shows. Thanks.

The Atrium is the center for a lot of the events.. Like Dancing with the Stars/Deal or no Deal/Newlywed Game/Trivia/Towel Folding Class/Fruit Carving Demonstration/Bands.. so yes its pretty noisy.. Probably the quietest times are when ship is in port or before 10am.

Your cabin is perfect here is why 1) your close to elevators/stairs but not so close the noise will bother you... 2)Your not towards the front of the ship which I have found to have the most movement.. 3) your 3 flights down from the Garden Cafe which means you can quickly run up and get some breakfast or a snack to have in your cabin.. In regards to the enclosed verandah I have not had one however from what i been told the only difference is there enclosed. In other words its the same as a reg verandah except is enclosed differently. you can still walk out into your balcony, you can still sit outside, you can still look out into the ocean without obstructions.

The Atrium is the center for a lot of the events.. Like Dancing with the Stars/Deal or no Deal/Newlywed Game/Trivia/Towel Folding Class/Fruit Carving Demonstration/Bands.. so yes its pretty noisy.. Probably the quietest times are when ship is in port or before 10am.

Your cabin is perfect here is why 1) your close to elevators/stairs but not so close the noise will bother you... 2)Your not towards the front of the ship which I have found to have the most movement.. 3) your 3 flights down from the Garden Cafe which means you can quickly run up and get some breakfast or a snack to have in your cabin.. In regards to the enclosed verandah I have not had one however from what i been told the only difference is there enclosed. In other words its the same as a reg verandah except is enclosed differently. you can still walk out into your balcony, you can still sit outside, you can still look out into the ocean without obstructions.

Thanks so much. I did just talk to one rep and she said some of them will restrict your seeing the ocean if you are sitting down and, if short (like me) some openings are higher up. I think I'll stick with what we have. We did get the last verandah on that outer curve before the stateroom dent back in.

Great encouraging tips. Thanks again. Any shows you recommend? And is there anywhere else to have embarkation lunch besides the buffet?

Oh, and one more - did you find the number of passengers caused any jam ups during embarkation/debarkation at ports, or at the buffet?

I have sailed on Escape only out of Miami.. Normally when the ships get sent to a new home port they get a show overhaul.. Is very likely the shows today wont be the shows next year.. If they are however I enjoyed a show called After Midnight. The Brat Pack show (80s themed) was just ok..
On embarkation day 1) Margaritaville is open 2) Taste/Sabor is open. Taste/Sabor is one of the free restaurants located deck 6 aft. Its open for breakfast/lunch and dinner..

The only time buffets might be jammed is sea days between 9:30am and 10:30 am. The buffet is huge so walk around since there will be plenty stations that have the same items.. Example one side has 12 people in line for an omelette while the other side has the same omelettes being made with just 3 people in line.

Embarkation can be crazy I find if you get there early enough you will be fine.. I try to always be there no later than 1130..

Are you going with a big group?

I have sailed on Escape only out of Miami.. Normally when the ships get sent to a new home port they get a show overhaul.. Is very likely the shows today wont be the shows next year.. If they are however I enjoyed a show called After Midnight. The Brat Pack show (80s themed) was just ok..
On embarkation day 1) Margaritaville is open 2) Taste/Sabor is open. Taste/Sabor is one of the free restaurants located deck 6 aft. Its open for breakfast/lunch and dinner..

The only time buffets might be jammed is sea days between 9:30am and 10:30 am. The buffet is huge so walk around since there will be plenty stations that have the same items.. Example one side has 12 people in line for an omelette while the other side has the same omelettes being made with just 3 people in line.

Embarkation can be crazy I find if you get there early enough you will be fine.. I try to always be there no later than 1130..

Are you going with a big group?

Just found out this morning that NCL has decided that Margaritavile was too popular with long lines, so it is now no longer free. They charge a la carte :headache:

We are sailing out of NYC -- and no, it's just the two of us. This will be our fourth time sailing out of NYC -- and it seems that these larger ships (Carnival Sunshine, NCL Breakaway) have horrific terminal organization -- and the computers keep crashing and we average -- between security and then check-in -- about 2 hours on our feet! Not fun. We park there, so can't get there too early, and would love to just arrive after 12 for the crowds to dissipate, but then we risk not getting a parking space. We usually arrive around 11 a.m.

Thanks.

Correct it is now A La Carte.. I recommend Food Republic over Margaritaville however it wont be open on Embark day for lunch. Pinchos is also nice is you want to go for some Tapas and a drink before dinner.. I would go there every night for a drink and Tapas..

Are you familiar with Club Vibe? I am not sure how much you researched..

No, don't know Club Vibe. I was bummed that Food Republic wasn't included in our dinner package.

If you arrive at 11, really no shot at Vibe passes (private location on the ship, $99?). The last 2 cruises, we’ve arrived at 9:45, and have been given boarding numbers in the early 20’s (usually have to be in 1 or 2 for Vibe).

We like Le Bistro.

If you arrive at 11, really no shot at Vibe passes (private location on the ship, $99?). The last 2 cruises, we’ve arrived at 9:45, and have been given boarding numbers in the early 20’s (usually have to be in 1 or 2 for Vibe).

We like Le Bistro.

Oh, thanks for the info -- but it's not in our budget to pay another $99 each for that. That's why we get a verandah -- hang our in privacy there since we don't sunbathe. LOL.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter