Need advice about moderate resorts

AskSiri

Earning My Ears
We're doing last minute, long weekend-ish trip to Disney the 2nd weekend in June (4 nights).

A little background information...

Trip will be just me and my 14 year old niece.

Past Disney trips have included stays at All Star Sports, Polynesian, Beach Club, and Boardwalk for us both. I've also stayed at Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside.

We're looking at getting 3 day park hopper plus tickets because we want the flexibility to move park to park and we'd like to visit the water parks after not going to either of them for a long time and booking a summer trip after the last several trips being in Sept/Oct. I have considered the possibility of dropping the plus part of the tickets and buying a one day discount ticket to just one of the water parks, but I don't know if that'll really help costs all that much.

We'll probably just hang around the resort the first day and chill. Because of that, we ruled out Pop. While fun, I don't exactly consider it relaxing, lol.

Dining will probably be quick service because this trip is last minute and last minute reservations to our favorite restaurant (Ohana) are kind of like unicorns.

Our favorite quick service restaurant is Wolfgang Puck Express Marketplace in Disney Springs.

We want to take advantage of the Sun and Fun offer which ends today, so there's a need to move quickly on this.

Given the choice of Port Orleans Riverside Garden View 5th Sleeper (which is wasted on us, but we do like this resort), Port Orleans French Quarter Garden View (I don't know about that pool, lol), and Caribbean Beach King Bed what would you choose in our position?

We'd be okay sharing a King bed if we had to. We wouldn't be thrilled exactly, but that's not what's keeping us from outright choosing it because it is the cheapest option. It's the construction that's worrying us.

Those of you that have been there recently...how disruptive is the construction? What areas is it currently in and do you think we will fall right in the middle of it with our room category?

I do like that it seems a little more centrally located than the POR resorts but is it really that much difference transportation wise to all the different parks from any of these resorts?

Advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Advice?

I would pick riverside or the French Quarter. They both have nice food courts, easy access to Disney springs. FQ is small with one bus stop and I don’t believe it shares with riverside. You can use both pools though.

I only stayed at CBR once and didn’t care for it, going during massive construction and sharing bed would cross it off the list.

POFQ is my favourite moderate so that’s where my vote goes. Plus you’ve already stay at POR so it’s nice to try a new resort. Since you like to eat in the Marketplace at DS, the boat is a nice option, since that’s where they drop you off.

Another option is Coronado Springs Preferred room which is more expensive than Caribbean but cheaper than POR resorts. I don't know where that would put us construction wise at that resort either, though.

Another vote for POFQ, it's my favorite resort and that boat ride to Disney Springs can't be beat.

Would River View be worth the additional $10?
At FQ? I would say no because it just puts you farther away from the main building and bus stop.

If relaxation is what you're looking for in a resort, I'd go with POR personally. I've stayed at them all and I find it and CSR to be the most peaceful (and CSR, even with construction, is still my favorite).

I personally wouldn't, because the boat horns can be loud, and we're not in the room that much, but maybe look at some of the sites that show the various views of each room and see what you think.

POFQ, and garden view is the way to go. Yes, you can always use the pool at POR (and get there quickly by bus or boat), but the pool at POFQ is nice and the bar is quite nice!

Im a little picky about hotels and once stayed at POFQ on a short trip. Loved it! Pool area was really nice with a great slide for kids/teens. Boat to Disney Springs, walk to POR for TS (Olivias at OKW next door is great too)or eat in the large counter service spot. Although I didnt have kids with me for that trip, I did notice a good amount of daily resort activities during the day/evening. Resort is on the small side so everything seems very close to pool/Main building/parking/bus stop etc.. I highly recommend for a Mod,

I have stayed at Riverside and French Q. and the French Quarter is by far my favorite. We would be staying there next trip except my daughter has been bitten by the deluxe bug. And if you are eating CS, Disney Springs is a short boat ride away.

We're doing last minute, long weekend-ish trip to Disney the 2nd weekend in June (4 nights).

A little background information...

Trip will be just me and my 14 year old niece.

Past Disney trips have included stays at All Star Sports, Polynesian, Beach Club, and Boardwalk for us both. I've also stayed at Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside.

We're looking at getting 3 day park hopper plus tickets because we want the flexibility to move park to park and we'd like to visit the water parks after not going to either of them for a long time and booking a summer trip after the last several trips being in Sept/Oct. I have considered the possibility of dropping the plus part of the tickets and buying a one day discount ticket to just one of the water parks, but I don't know if that'll really help costs all that much.

We'll probably just hang around the resort the first day and chill. Because of that, we ruled out Pop. While fun, I don't exactly consider it relaxing, lol.

Dining will probably be quick service because this trip is last minute and last minute reservations to our favorite restaurant (Ohana) are kind of like unicorns.

Our favorite quick service restaurant is Wolfgang Puck Express Marketplace in Disney Springs.

We want to take advantage of the Sun and Fun offer which ends today, so there's a need to move quickly on this.

Given the choice of Port Orleans Riverside Garden View 5th Sleeper (which is wasted on us, but we do like this resort), Port Orleans French Quarter Garden View (I don't know about that pool, lol), and Caribbean Beach King Bed what would you choose in our position?

We'd be okay sharing a King bed if we had to. We wouldn't be thrilled exactly, but that's not what's keeping us from outright choosing it because it is the cheapest option. It's the construction that's worrying us.

Those of you that have been there recently...how disruptive is the construction? What areas is it currently in and do you think we will fall right in the middle of it with our room category?

I do like that it seems a little more centrally located than the POR resorts but is it really that much difference transportation wise to all the different parks from any of these resorts?

Advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Advice?

POR or POFQ. Hands down.

I have stayed at POR and CBR, and I think POR is the way to go. POFQ is pretty nice as well, and I think you'd be very happy either way. The refurbishments at CBR are definitely an upgrade for that resort (as is Sebastian's, which is a great restaurant) - but as far as overall charm, ease of travel within the resort, and especially the food court, Port Orleans Riverside would be my vote!

My vote is for POR or POFQ. Keep in mind that POFQ is a smaller resort so you may not need to walk as much. POR and POFQ can sometimes share a bus---but given the timing your travel in June, POFQ will likely have it's own busses all of the time. POR does have four bus stops, so keep that in mind that depending on the bus stop you use, you will either have 1-3 stops after you get on or before you get off each time you use the bus. We hold POR near and dear to our heart. We love the grounds, it doesn't scream Moderate resort to us. We love the pool and the food court has so many options for both adults and kids. If you stay at POR or POFQ you can use the pools at both. POFQ isn't that far of a walk---especially if you aren't carting around young kids. The boat ride to Disney Springs is awesome at both. You will have less walking and only one bus stop at POFQ (the lines for POFQ often are shorter at the end of the night when parks are closing from what I have witnessed).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!