Need advice..trade in or fix my rotted pop up

Lmans77

Mouseketeer
So we bought a pop up about last March, and apparently it wasn't as well taken care of as we thought OR we are just super unlucky. Took several trips and all seemed very well, no soft spots, etc. Then we went to Panama City in August. While in Panama City, the plastic cover that covered where you put the crank in to crank the roof broke off leaving an open hole. Otherwise, all was well. But then we had to drive back to Houston early because of Harvey. DH is a police officer and was ordered to report ahead of the storm. We drove back through feeder bands as the storm approached. When we got home, DH stored it at our lot. We normally cover it with a cover, but it was pouring so bad he just parked it uncovered.

Our next trip wasn't until a few weeks ago. Took it to a local park and opened it up. Noticed along the back vertical wall underneath the back bunk was totally soft. Last weekend we took it to my parents where my Dad has a big shop and space to work. We pulled the vinyl off that "wall" and it was totally wet and rotten. Looks awful. We didn't start fixing it yet so that we can decide what we want to do. I don't know if the damage was there when we bought it (that soft spot on the wall wasn't soft then) or this all came about because of driving through Harvey and it forced water in. Looks like the water may be coming in underneath the bunk end.

So the question is do we fix it or get rid of it? My DH really doesn't like messing with fixing up old stuff. He always wanted a new trailer, and the decision to start with a used PUP was my idea. He has an offer from an RV wholesaler right now that seems to be a really good deal and they're giving us a decent amount on the PUP without fixing it. The new unit would be a 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s.

UGH, I'm torn. I'm the tight one. We 'can' afford it but ugh. I'm just kinda disgusted with RV ownership and camping in general right now. DH is arguing that we can do Disney (which is more my thing than his although he does love it) and just camp in general for our vacations. Where we would be saving money is not doing cruises (we would cancel the one we have planned for next August), all inclusives, or the other vacations that we have been doing.

Any advice or commiserations? I know upgrading to a full size has the benefits of space, storage, easier set up and tear down. Cons are cost and towing and MPG. Our TV is a 2017 F150 3.5L ecoboost with a max tow package so we should be good there.

Other suggestions on other good TT? DH is pretty set on the Rockwood. We like the Murphy bed and the fact that its only 26'. But I'm willing to look. Want something good quality that will last us -or at least until I can afford an Airstream or my Dad wills me his 2017 Airstream. LOL We have 2 kids - ages 10 and almost 8.

Sorry for the loooong post! I just needed to vent and I trust Disney people. ha!

Fixing up a pop up can be expensive and as much as I love them, mice get in them so easy and chew up the canvas. If you can afford it, I say get the TT that fits your family's needs.

My Dad seems to think that we can get the back panel off the pop up and replace the wood and put it back on. But i'm sure it'll be a job complete with a lot of aggravation and 4 letter words. Luckily we haven't had mice chew up anything. Just a few droppings here and there.

I would agree on trading it in. If the dealer is going to give you a good deal on it, it would make since. If you try and sell it outright you probably won't get near what the dealer offered.

Here's a good thing to remember: All campers are leak prone. Some are very prone. Remember, they build some of the bigger TT in under 7 hours so attention to detail on the leaks is hard to guarantee.

If it was already rotten I would say it was already developing and then the extra rain from Harvey just exacerbated it.

My father bought a used 2000 model Dutchmen one time that the whole front was rotted out. We literally stripped off all the metal siding on the front and halfway down both sides and completely rebuilt the wooden skeleton of the wall with pressure treated 2x2 and reinsulated it. We also replaced the floor with pressure treated 2x4 and new plywoood. Finally, we put up new panel on the inside and replaced the ruined lights from all the rain damage. It really didn't cost a lot of money, but it certainly took a lot of time. When it was done (He put in new carpet and vinyl as well) it was without a doubt heavier, and better built than the factory and he camped with it for several years and then sold it for nearly 3x what he paid. Point is, if you're willing to do the work it can be fixed, it just takes time. If the desire is not there, then my advice is take the trade offer.

We've remodeled a popup - roof, canvas, fabric, counters (not walls) and it is ALOT of work. I loved doing it but if I had the comfortable option of purchasing a camper, I would probably take it instead of dealing with the work. As to taking more vacations because you have a camper, that is something I agree with. There is so much to see here in the US and a camper, if you have the time, is the perfect way to do it. Plus, it makes short weekend trips easy and affordable so you can do more mini-vacations.

The missing piece of the puzzle, for me, is how much experience you have camping and, therefore, how convinced you are that you will enjoy it as your primary mode of travel (as you describe). Cruises and all-inclusives are a VERY different experience from camping. You may like camping just as much (or more), or you may not - but it is far from the same thing. If you have enough experience with camping that you are confident that you will enjoy that form of travel and the novelty won't wear off - go for it. If your experience is limited, however, I'd be cautious about making decisions that will define the way you travel for years to come.

In other words - if you are 'all in' on camping, get the new unit and use it for years to come. If you are still testing the waters, however, I'd look further into fixing what you have before you go too deep into the RV life.

Very true Mickeyfan and good advice. We both grew up camping and both do like it. I'm just not sure its what I want to do 100%. I am a bit over cruises and resorts. We flew to St Thomas this past summer and that was lovely. We've been to Disney 7 times in the past 6 years. We're slowing down on that too and no plans to go until after Star Wars land opens. DH wants to do great American road trips (a la Clark Griswold). We are semi limited on vacation time in summer and unforuntately, if we go west, it takes too darn long to get out of Texas! But seriously, I think I'm game for camping. My parents are avid Airstreamers and we would like to do some local trips with them.

Another vote here to trade in.

If hubs is not a handy man and committed to fixing the next thing that goes bad on a popup (and I'm a popup camper of almost 15 years) then get the travel trailer and use it as your vacation vehicle (not just at WDW).

I like to say that my camper (an A-frame popup now) is:
  • my cabin in the woods
  • my condo at the beach
  • my timeshare at WDW
There's lots you can do within a day's drive (from Houston you can reach the Gulf Coast, Louisiana, Arkansas, etc. with plenty of places to go). A trailer will handle your growing kids better and it's easier to let one of them bring a friend along than it would be in a pop-up.

Also, in my old canvas pop-up (bought new with factory AC), camping in summer was a stretch because the AC didn't keep up. I didn't go full commando with Pop-up Gizmos but a canvas pop-up was a 2.5 season camper (not winter below freezing and not peak summer). With a new travel trailer, I would think you can camp in more months of the year and make use of it.

Plus, not every trip has to be a big family blow-out vacation. I have a little Corps of Engineers campground near me that's good for a weekend trip in the fall with a campfire and the tv satellite dish to watch college football. You can keep it simple, do a grab-and-go weekend, and just enjoy being outside.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Since you asked.....I camped when I was right out of college. Then, I spent the next seven years of my life working hard, so that I could afford to never have to camp again. And then fifteen years ago (a bit of a story, won't get into it now), we decided to buy a class c.

Now, Lmans77, in our household, I am you. I am the one who handles the finances and worries about the money. But, buying that camper (yes, on credit) was one of the best decisions I ever agreed to. The places we have gone and the things we have seen have been truly magnificent. We have explored areas that we never would have seen without that camper.

BUT, I also know that I would hate camping in a pup-up. Please, this is just me. To each his own. For me-not enough room, too damp, no real bathroom. Nope.

So, my vote is-go with the trailer.

But, realize that new trailers can leak and have issues, too. So, pick a dealer with a good reputation for service and triple check the trailer for leaks and needed repairs before giving the dealer any money.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

Lmato it ns I so totally understand your frustration with the camper and idea of going out with one. Our preyoudvious unit spent more time in the shop than in our driveway. The final straw was when on the 1st night to Disney last year I plugged in the shore line and got nothing being just before Christmas every place swore it was a quick fix and would be very happy to take care of it in 2 weeks. In Oct. we traded it in but go no use of it outside of the trip to Tampa to trade it in.
If you do decide to keep it consider getting it surveyed so that major potential problems about to fall will be hopefully be identified before they happen.
Side note right after we got home our local dealer/service center held an open house / general RV repair Maintenance Seminar. One thing they did showcase among the many services they offer is a pressure leak test. What the do is close unit up then connect a high pressure fan that creates a higher pressure in the unit than outside. With a small spray bottle they then spray some soapy water in small sections at a time and where bubbles form they id with painters tape Once done the recaulk those areas and repeat the process Not a cheap process but far cheaper than a rebuild or new trailer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter